Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

those pictures are amazing modchild. definitely ordering the camera today after reading a few reviews and coming on here. i had to be new at buying cameras online and finding the best deals. but thanks to you guys i think im going to go with HDEW and get that 3 year warranty as well. unless you guys think digitalrev would be better? (im so bad at making these decisions. leaning towards HDEW. what do you guys think i should do lol)
thanks again and sorry for bothering anyone with the same thing

those pictures are amazing modchild. definitely ordering the camera today after reading a few reviews and coming on here. i had to be new at buying cameras online and finding the best deals. but thanks to you guys i think im going to go with HDEW and get that 3 year warranty as well. unless you guys think digitalrev would be better? (im so bad at making these decisions. leaning towards HDEW. what do you guys think i should do lol)
thanks again and sorry for bothering anyone with the same thing

Hi,

Panamoz have 2 years warranty on the 70D currently and are great to deal with ;)

Mike.

I bought a 5D2 and 24-105 f4L kit and a 5D3 body from Hdew and would certainly of bought the 70D from them if I was going for a straight cash sale but as I was doing a trade in deal with a couple of bodies so I went to L.C.E.

I bought a 60D, a Sigma ring flash and a couple of lenses from Panamoz and got great service from them. I had a problem with an 11 month old Sigma 150-500 OS and contacted them. Less than 2 weeks later I had a brand new lens in the post. I'd recommend both Panamoz and Hdew to anyone for top quality service.

Regardless of what people think of DxOMark their report on the 70D is now available HERE.

It beats all other Canon APS-C sensors even with its' extra 2 million pixels. Good enough for me, I will be buying one once the prices drop a bit.

pictures looking good there modchild, what kind of distance were you from the bird?

Got to be honest sam, dxo claim the 60d is crap at 800 iso and above which is total toss and then claim the 7d is better also which owners claim otherwise so so whatever they say be it good or bad its with a pinch of salt at best. haha

That along with the face that I bet modchild can get good images at 3200 and above also as I know you can on the 60D so the 70D also.

Looks like a good camera

Last edited:
Dalegt4, the bird was around 35 feet when it was taken and I was using a 70-200 MkII and 2x MkIII converter at 400mm. It's had quite a crop to get it to the end shot whereas the Giraffe is the full shot and the Lioness is only a small crop.

I have to say, I'm really quite pleased (and a bit proud) of the bird shot and I'm very pleased with the camera so far. I can't wait to get a battery grip for it though as there's nowhere to rest my little finger on it at the moment, I've taken 700 shots with it on a fully charged battery and I've just checked it and it's at 50% remaining so it's not the shot count I need, just the bigger size for my hand.

As for tests done in labs etc I really don't bother, I prefer to go out and take some real world shots and see what they come out like. I've got a bunch of RAW shots taken the other day but I haven't had time to do anything with them yet so I still don't know how much they can be improved in PP. I try to use minimal amounts of PP in most shots and a lot of the time I shoot jpegs only if they are for my own pleasure/use.

Some good shots there Phal, you've got some more terriffic shots on your Flickr pages too.

Thanks :) Most of the shots there are from my 650d but I'm definitely enjoying the 70d a lot so far.

I was also tempted to get a battery grip as I've got one on my 650d but the price of the Canon ones is a bit steep considering what it is. I figured I'd try it without a grip for a while to see what it's like and to see if I missed the grip. I got a spare battery and like you said, it lasts a while so it's not a huge priority. I know the third party grips are much cheaper but I like the shiny branded stuff hehe.

The faster focus is definitely what I love so far and the 7fps with a larger buffer is lovely :D

The AF points can be configured in a few different ways. There's a button just forward of the shutter button which will bring up the different AF point options. You can cycle through the 3 main modes by pressing that button and the 3 modes are the following:

1- Single selectable points
2- Selectable zones of 3/4 points each located either top,right,left,bottom,centre
3- All points together for automatic AF and you can choose a preference

As far as selecting the individual points, you can do either of the following:

1- Bring up the AF point selection and tap on the touchscreen
2- Cycle through them using the joypad button (up/down/left/right etc)
3- Scroll through points using the two wheels available (back of camera wheel goes left/right and the top aperture scroll wheel goes up/down)

Thank you Etienne

So my 70D came today, 3 days including a trip on a big shiny bird in the sky:D

Only had a short while between jobs to stop off and have a play. Am I sad that I sold the 60D.....nope, i'm liking what ive seen so far, just from a handling point of view, speed, lcd clarity, MFA at both ends of the lens like the 5D3, which I wasn't expecting.

Just took a couple of shots at 400 and 800 iso, that I would NOT have done with the 7D;)

Don't slam me on the technicalities, and rip me apart, get your own camera and to the tests yourself if thats how you feel, these are just general shots, taken by a general hobbyist, to show other like minded people what results came from the first half hour playing

70D iso 400 test1 by cornishwelding, on Flickr

70D iso 800 test1 by cornishwelding, on Flickr

ISO 800 at 40th F4, light was pretty low...

EXIF intact for you to have a poke around in...:nuts:

Last edited:
Just picked up mine from LCE with a EFS 17-55mm F2.8 lens - battery charging as we speak :)

So my 70D came today, 3 days including a trip on a big shiny bird in the sky:D

Only had a short while between jobs to stop off and have a play. Am I sad that I sold the 60D.....nope, i'm liking what ive seen so far, just from a handling point of view, speed, lcd clarity, MFA at both ends of the lens like the 5D3, which I wasn't expecting.

Just took a couple of shots at 400 and 800 iso, that I would NOT have done with the 7D;)

Don't slam me on the technicalities, and rip me apart, get your own camera and to the tests yourself if thats how you feel, these are just general shots, taken by a general hobbyist, to show other like minded people what results came from the first half hour playing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornishwelding/9631868902/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornishwelding/9628634049/

Can't see the EXIF as on my phone, but which lens did you get/use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=virVX6uVU-A&hd=1

1080p, 25fps and ALL-I compression.

Tracks the person well, no hunting or seeking, using a 17-55 f2.8 USM and you can't hear the AF motor when there's noise but in a dead quiet room you can. Dynamic range seems to be good too, overall I am very happy with the performance. As promised by Canon, all I had to do was tap on the subject and it tracked very well.

I was very disappointed with the 550D when it came to video, this is a significant improvement.

Am uber jealous you have all got yours. I've got to wait till next week.

Yeah I couldn't wait to get mine! There's an airshow where I live this weekend so I'll be getting myself some planes hehe

I am so close to pressing the button on this camera - just want to make sure its good at the upper end ISO before i splash out.

The AF points can be configured in a few different ways. There's a button just forward of the shutter button which will bring up the different AF point options. You can cycle through the 3 main modes by pressing that button and the 3 modes are the following:

1- Single selectable points
2- Selectable zones of 3/4 points each located either top,right,left,bottom,centre
3- All points together for automatic AF and you can choose a preference

As far as selecting the individual points, you can do either of the following:

1- Bring up the AF point selection and tap on the touchscreen
2- Cycle through them using the joypad button (up/down/left/right etc)
3- Scroll through points using the two wheels available (back of camera wheel goes left/right and the top aperture scroll wheel goes up/down)

been thinking about this :)
So if the wheel on the back is used for selecting AF points by pressing up down etc is there not a chance you can end up altering under exposure over exposure by accident?

I wouldn't say it was possible, well I was switching between modes/points all day and I never inadvertently changed any settings that would alter my exposure, and I'm a bit of a dimwit :p

It's clear that you're changing the AF, also being able to change between single point, zone and 19 point auto and being able to change points without taking your eye away from the viewfinder is fantastic. All the buttons are in exactly the right place too, it's very intuitive.

I am so close to pressing the button on this camera - just want to make sure its good at the upper end ISO before i splash out.

If you want any better noise handling you'd have to buy either a 6D or 5D3. It's not mind blowing, just a bit better. If you want any better on a crop you'd have to go Nikon.
/Sony.

Last edited:
Whilst waiting for mine to arrive, I had a play with one in Jessops.

The touch screen did seem a bit gimmicky but would happily track whatever I tapped. The live view autofocus was impressive. Very easy to select number of AF points and loved the highspeed continuous shooting mode. Made me feel very paparazzi. :LOL:

The rear jogwheel/buttons were definitely a bit difficult to use and I can see what Kai W says about them being a bit mushy. However, the camera felt fine in my hand and was adequately weighted. I wouldn't want a heavier camera. I do feel that I might benefit from a grip but as they still £££ I'll have to wait around for the price to drop a little.

Am genuinely excited about ordering mine. Hopefully will arrive by next weekend.

been thinking about this :)
So if the wheel on the back is used for selecting AF points by pressing up down etc is there not a chance you can end up altering under exposure over exposure by accident?

Na, you need to have activated the point selection before the wheel has that effect. If you move the wheel without activating that menu then yes, it'll change something else :p but that's generally how most things work lol. If you click your mouse on the wrong menu, something undesired will happen!

As for the touchscreen, I don't see how people can say it's gimmicky? It's a very functional item on a camera. It's your screen plus it gives quick access to a whole set of options and also allows you to touch focus when videoing stuff. You can shoot stills with it too by tapping on what you want and it'll focus there. The touchscreen is awesome! :D

I wasn't trying to deride the camera. After all, I'm buying one! In all honesty, i wonder if it's because I was expecting something different though not ensure entirely. I could use live mode but obviously with no memory card, I couldn't test the video.

I have 1600+ pictures or something now to sort through from my local Airshow lol

It's a lot easier to take lots of pics with 7fps compared to 5fps with a smaller buffer

All I could find today in the short time I had was a duck......but quite impressed with the result from the 70D..

I must say though that the touch screen works very very well. So easy to swipe through and delete shots, pinch to zoom, it's a breeze....

70D Duck test by cornishwelding, on Flickr

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a fast card for this camera, was only able to get around 6 fired before waiting for the files to write. Using a class 10 7 day shop one at the moment...

I wouldn't say it was possible, well I was switching between modes/points all day and I never inadvertently changed any settings that would alter my exposure, and I'm a bit of a dimwit :p

It's clear that you're changing the AF, also being able to change between single point, zone and 19 point auto and being able to change points without taking your eye away from the viewfinder is fantastic. All the buttons are in exactly the right place too, it's very intuitive.

Na, you need to have activated the point selection before the wheel has that effect. If you move the wheel without activating that menu then yes, it'll change something else :p but that's generally how most things work lol. If you click your mouse on the wrong menu, something undesired will happen!

Thank you (y)
Downloaded the manual last night, handled one today in LCE and I found focus area selecting quite easy (y) and altering over/under exposure being activated did not happen (y)
I did put a card in and took some test shots in doors at if I remember ISO 2500 and looking at them on the LCD we could see some noise although did not look horendous, anything over ISO 800 on my 40D is noticeable, have not looked at them on the computer yet.
It does feel a fair bit smaller and lighter than my 40D :)

Any suggestions for a fast card for this camera, was only able to get around 6 fired before waiting for the files to write. Using a class 10 7 day shop one at the moment...

Sandisk Extreme Pro is my recommendation! After doing some research to ensure a faster SD card would make a difference, I got the fastest one I could find which was that. Even in my 650d it made a very noticeable difference. In a way, it's less noticeable in the 70d as the buffer is larger but the files are also larger so it can definitely catch up with you.

That being said, I'm surprised you had to wait after just 6 shots? The buffer should be good for 15 shots according to the specs!

Then Darrin imho you never really got to know the 7D ;)
Edit actually Darrin I wont just single you out here (y) Imo there were a lot of people that did not get to fully know the 7D. I am sure the 70D is a big improvement with regards to a few things but it makes me wonder when people say they were having problems with the 7D at ISO`s of 400-800 :shrug:

Last edited:
Edit actually Darrin I wont just single you out here (y) Imo there were a lot of people that did not get to fully know the 7D. I am sure the 70D is a big improvement with regards to a few things but it makes me wonder when people say they were having problems with the 7D at ISO`s of 400-800 :shrug:

Because there were and are, a lot of people who had, and do have, problems with the 7D. Some choose to move on, some maybe can't due to whatever reason, and those are mainly the people that flatly refuse to believe there is a problem with their camera.....

I had another, (very experienced) photographer who could not get many decent shots from the 7D either, so maybe there is a lottery as to if you get a good or bad one.

Any way, this topic has been done to death all over the web, and the 7D is now old in the eyes of technology.

This is a 70D thread, so I'll leave it at that(y)

Sandisk Extreme Pro is my recommendation! After doing some research to ensure a faster SD card would make a difference, I got the fastest one I could find which was that. Even in my 650d it made a very noticeable difference. In a way, it's less noticeable in the 70d as the buffer is larger but the files are also larger so it can definitely catch up with you.

That being said, I'm surprised you had to wait after just 6 shots? The buffer should be good for 15 shots according to the specs!

I think what I may have also come up against, was the AI servo setting i jigged with. Set them for more towards focus and not release, so maybe I wasn't hitting the buffer, although the red write light was on all the time, but more the camera was not releasing until it attained focus, and with my wobbly handholding, 70-200 plus 1.4 x11, I wasn't giving the camera chance to lock on:puke:

Yeah the red light will just be when the buffer is writing to the card but that will happen after 1 or 5 shots regardless. AF will definitely be slower with an extender on though.

Keep forgetting to turn the screen around to ensure it is protected in my bag. Is it worth getting a screen protector ? should also help with grubby fingers ;)

I had two 7d's I now have none
still have the 650d and a 70d on the way now
I could never get on with the 7d

Keep forgetting to turn the screen around to ensure it is protected in my bag. Is it worth getting a screen protector ? should also help with grubby fingers ;)

I've had a screen protector on my 650d since I got it and it works fine with the touchscreen but I don't really think it's a requirement as long as you flip it when you're done with it :)

One more shot with the 70d from the weekend! Here's the set from Sunday and I've still got to sort pics from Saturday :| And one of my fave shots :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phal44/sets/72157635347151653/

Avro Lancaster B1 by Phal44, on Flickr

You get into the habit of flicking the screen around quick enough.

Battery life is good, 1800 shots with some life to spare. I did have the screen flipped in most of the day but took 10 mins of ALL-I 1080p video as well.

http://i.imgur.com/qBSrsNO.jpg

Plastic marks way too easily though...

Getting used to a bit more now, here's some shots.

Superstars-0001 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Superstars-1179 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Superstars-0323 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Lotus-Festival-2420 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Lotus-Festival-2599 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Superstars-0804 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Last edited:
Had a day trip out and took the 70D with me as well as the 5D3. Got some cracking shots off both cameras and I've added some to my Flickr account. This one is taken by the 70D and is a Jpeg SOOC and only cropped in PSE11. I've not added any sharpening to it but I don't know if PSE does it automatically.

9622287554_55a43d6673_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This one has had a levels alteration and a bit of sharpening, but I'm quite happy with it. These were both taken with the 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII and 2x MkIII converter. The bird was taken at f8 and the Giraffe wide open at f5.6.

9619049797_d26fdcb300_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This one is also taken wide open with just a slight crop in PSE11 only.

9619052509_b03f02c673_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Is that a typical Sunny Donny afternoon?
Cracking images btw.

Back