Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

I have a 450D at the moment with a 15-85mm and a 100mm Canon Macro lens. The 450D seems to introduce a lot of noise above ISO 400, do you think I will notice a difference if I upgrade from this to the 70D ?

I have a 450D at the moment with a 15-85mm and a 100mm Canon Macro lens. The 450D seems to introduce a lot of noise above ISO 400, do you think I will notice a difference if I upgrade from this to the 70D ?

I'd say in one word 'YES'. I had a 7D which got noisy at ISO800 and was very noisy at ISO1600. The 70D has at least 1 stop better noise control than the 7D and nearer 2 stops on the 7D I had.

I also just tested the 70D against the wifes 650D and the 70D is at least as good if not slightly better than the 650D. Earlier in the thread at #8 I posted a shot of a Westie dog at ISO6400 and while it is noisy it still retains a good lot of detail. It was specifically taken to see what the result was at ISO6400 but I'd be happy to push it to ISO3200 and still get a decent shot.

MY 7D had more noise than that shot at ISO1600 and only a bit less noise at ISO800. I didn't take my 7D above ISO800 if I could help it but it wasn't worth taking it above ISO1600 ever.

Sounds like it might be a good upgrade, the noise is what really gets to me with the 450d. I manly like wildlife photography and doing zoo visits, but my camera just can't cope with animals in the shade. Probably also could do with some fast glass to help out here :)

As far as I am aware the 70D has MFA which would be of help, my 450D front focus slightly when using the macro lens, it is very obvious at f2.8 and I can;t do anything about it.

I am now a member of the 70d club
mine arrived mid morning Today
can't say I'll miss my 7d never got on with it hopefully the 70d will give me a better keep rate it couldn't possibly be worse

Currently making my way through the menus to tweak it.
Oh interesting, what settings need tweaking? I have only updated the copyright info and registered my battery.

Ps Welcome to the club

Last edited:
<AOL>Me too!</AOL>

It seems very light and small compared with my 5D3. Currently making my way through the menus to tweak it.

Just out of interest, did you keep your 5d3? I have a 5D3 and quite fancy a 70D for fps, silent shutter, all the focus points, the crop factor and it's lighter…. but I do love my 5D3 and don't think I can justify getting the 70D…. yet!!

Just out of interest, did you keep your 5d3? I have a 5D3 and quite fancy a 70D for fps, silent shutter, all the focus points, the crop factor and it's lighter…. but I do love my 5D3 and don't think I can justify getting the 70D…. yet!!

I'm just the same - love silent on the 5D3 and would find it hard to live with noisy mirror slapping now.

I had a thread running on another site asking if you had to live with the 70D after owning a 5D3 could you... now I see a few have both here now too I may ask the same question.

I can imagine me getting one for the crop, articulated screen and excellent video - anyway I'll stop now, not being a 70D owner its a bit naughty posting :)

Oh interesting, what settings need tweaking? I have only updated the copyright info and registered my battery.

Ps Welcome to the club

Back Button Focus has to be the first, get the metering and AE lock on the shutter.

I went into LCE last week and the man kindly let me have quick play even though I was honest and said I had no intention of buying at the moment until the price had done it's customary drop.....roll on Santa Claus :D
I was very interested to see how the ISO was and how the selecting of AF points worked.
Not very scientific but here are some quick shots, if you link to myflickr (in my sig) and go to the folder 70D test the full res are there for anyone that wants to have a good look at them, feel free to download.
I have done absolutely nothing to them, they are straight from the camera.
Exif is intact.

Must admit I was quite impressed apart from the feeling of smallness compared to my 40D

1. F5.6 1/400 ISO 12800
9703382208_4991e275c5_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0008 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. F5.6 1/400 ISO 8000
9700155845_4df4eab270_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0007 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

3. F5 1/500 ISO 8000
9700166931_c7f43a16f3_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0005 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

4. F5 1/80 ISO 1600
9703412962_1a738faab3_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0003 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

5. F5 1/100 ISO 2500
9700185869_d586703aa5_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0002 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

6. F5.6 1/200 ISO 100
9703372696_74cc6f740e_c.jpg
[/url] IMG_0010 by rkcphotos, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

Yes, I've got the 70D as a second body to go with my 5D3. As posted in another thread, my wife has taken a shine to my 60D so I had to replace it...! And she agreed.

I've made a start with
Image quality: RAW + best quality jpeg
Viewfinder level: Show
Release shutter without card: Off
Image review: Hold
Author information
Copyright information

More later once I've had a look at the Manual.

Last edited:
As much as I already love the 70D, comparing it to my 7D I definitely love it, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my 5D3. I usually use the 5D3 for everything and the crop for a backup body. Compared to the 7D the only thing I've found lacking is the 'spot focus points' that are the same as the 5D3. If only Canon can put that ability in a firmware upgrade I reckon the 70D could become the 'perfect' crop camera.

After doing some macro shots the other day I found the articulating screen excellent, as I did when I had a 60D, and the ability to focus by touchscreen is fantastic...and fast too. My keeper rate for an actual shoot, as opposed to shooting anything toget used to the camera, is already good. Out of 512 taken at a wildlife park the other week I've kept 464 and deleted only 48 and they were mostly for composition reasons rather than bad photos.

With my first 7D I've kept only 2,289 from 3,764 so the difference in keeper rate is massive on the 70D. With my 5D3 I've got around 19,000 from 22,230 so the keeper rate of that is pretty good considering what I've shot with it.

Lol, so it looks like the only bad thing is that you'll need another harddrive :)

Anybody else having issues with their 70d charger only charging the oe battery
doesn't seem that it wants to charge my duracels nor my Chinese ebay specials from my 7d
7d charger was fine or is it just me

Last edited:
They started to get a bit clever with the 5D3 batteries in the newest firmware so I wouldn't be massively surprised to hear they've extended that to the chargers now.

Tony, I've only got genuine batteries now as the non genuine started messing about in my 5D3 when I updated the firmware. I didn't want to risk anything going wrong when out on a shoot so I got a bunch of Canon ones.

I've got a dual Delkin Power battery charger and the Canon one that came with my 70D. This is the Delkin one http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/33688924/774832694/Delkin-Universal-Dual-Battery-Charger-with-EU-Plug/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315%7Ccat:33688924%7Cprd:33688924&$$ja=cgid:7111954017|tsid:48121|cid:130773177|lid:54119188857|nw:g|crid:22715959257|rnd:373976576981959053|dvc:c|adp:1o3|mt: and it works brilliantly. I leave the twin charger at home and take the Canon one in my bag. You might find your problem is your batteries aren't chipped or use an older chip that wont read in the Canon charger. Probably easier to get a £4.99 'cheap n cheerful' charger off ebay for your batteries. I never had any problems with any of my 3rd party batteries until I updated the 5D3 firmware and I suspect Canon have done the same with the 70D.

Thanks for the info Stuart
The canon 70d charger doesn't seem to recognise the batteries, however it does appear that it may be charging the non gen ones
The camera doesn't seem to recognise the non gen batteries either, however it does seem to function ok with them and show that they have charged but not fully
I purchased a cheap ebay charger for my lpe8 650d batteries that works a treat and even fixed some of the cheapo batteries that the canon charger wouldn't charge
Looks like I shall try a non gen charger first before I buy some gen batteries
Not had the camera long enough for a full analysis

Last edited:
Well I did it! I've ordered a 70D to replace my old faithful 400D. Now I just have the agonising wait until it arrives!

I'll be sorry to see my 400D go but hopefully someone on ebay will give it a good home and make good use of it.

Well I did it! I've ordered a 70D to replace my old faithful 400D. Now I just have the agonising wait until it arrives!

I'll be sorry to see my 400D go but hopefully someone on ebay will give it a good home and make good use of it.

You won't regret it love my 70d so far

Even from my 650d it was a nice upgrade so I can only imagine what it'll be like from a 400d! Image quality wise it wasn't much of an upgrade for me but you should definitely notice some improvement in low light stuff but the AF and extra speed was lovely for me :D

I'm losing the will to live.

Kerso tells me that things have been delayed and that it will be shipped to the UK next week, which means I should get it by the end of the week. I sent payment on 29th August and am still waiting. Do you think it's worth the wait or should I ask for a refund?

Well your price was pretty cheap wasn't it? I guess if you think you can cancel your order and get it from somewhere else quicker for the same price then it's your call ;)

I'm losing the will to live.

Kerso tells me that things have been delayed and that it will be shipped to the UK next week, which means I should get it by the end of the week. I sent payment on 29th August and am still waiting. Do you think it's worth the wait or should I ask for a refund?

Go to HDEW or Panamoz.....

I was gonna go with HDEW if Kerso doesn't deliver. Just wanted to know if I was being unreasonable or not. I know a few others have had positive dealings with Kerso.

Last edited:
Mine has been shipped - 'Due on Monday' is the estimation. How am I going to last the weekend?

I'm like you Duncan, I hate having to wait when I've ordered anything online. That was the reason I pre-ordered mine with L.C.E. as they said they were getting some on the release date of 22nd August and I'd have to wait for delivery from anywhere else.

You really are going to find it a great update from your 400D, I hope you've got some great lenses to go with it. My 70-200 f2.8L IS II really is amazing on my 70D and great even with a 2x extender on it.

Despite all of the bickering on the Panamoz thread I have just ordered a 70D from there so I should be joining the club soon and putting my 400D out to pasture :)

I hope you've got some great lenses to go with it. My 70-200 f2.8L IS II really is amazing on my 70D and great even with a 2x extender on it.

One day, still got a lot of saving to do first. I'll have to do with my non L glass for a while yet.

I've used Panamoz a few times, paying with both Paypal and Bank Transfer and never had any problems with them. I'm sure I'll be using them again in the future as well. The only problem I had with any of the gear I've bought from them was a Sigma 150-500 OS that developed a fault after 11 months. I contacted Panamoz and had a brand new lens at my door only 11 days later.

Duncan, you'll be happy to know you don't need L glass to get some great shots with the 70D. I put the wife's old 18-135 IS on it the other day and still got some great shots with it. I've had a 550D, 60D, 2x 7D's and the wife has a 650D that I've used a good few times and the 70D is the best I've used by a good margin. The 60D was a good performer but it's AF system compared with the 70D is average.

18-135 IS on it the other day and still got some great shots with it....

That's what I'll using together with my 50mm f1.4 and 55-250mm IS for a while yet.

Monday seems light years away.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and bought mine last Sunday from Panamoz. It arrived Thursday fantastic service :) Played with it in the garden only and yes it does have a wow factor :)

Back