Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Is that a typical Sunny Donny afternoon?
Cracking images btw.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a typical sunny Donny afternoon :LOL: My cousin lives there and he says they are few and far between.

I'd been watching the weather of several places and it was forecast to be the best place on the day. It was quite cloudy when we arrived but the sun came out after a short while and it ended up so sunny I burnt my head (again) as I'd forgot my hat :LOL:

Will definitely be going again in the future. It's one of my favourite places to go and the fact you can go in and interact with some of the animals make it much better than an average zoo.

Last edited:
I've had a screen protector on my 650d since I got it and it works fine with the touchscreen but I don't really think it's a requirement as long as you flip it when you're done with it :)

Which screen protector do you use, I'd be interested in getting one for the 70D. When the wife got her 650D I emailed Canon to ask about fitting a screen protector and would it interfere with the touchscreen and they emailed back to say any of the protectors on the market at that time might/probably would interfere with the screens sensitivity.

Had a delivery yesterday of a delayed birthday present. The wife had ordered a battery grip from Cathedral Cameras for the 70D ( http://www.cathedralcameras.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=bg-e14 ) without me knowing. This is the first genuine Canon grip I've had and they've got it at a great price compared to the rest of the camera shops I've seen it advertised in.

I was going to wait until a 3rd party grip came out but my wonderful wife knows I much prefer a grip to make the camera comfortable in my hands and so she ordered it, but the money is coming out of our joint account though :LOL:

Wow. Amazing price. I was going to look at buying a grip but the cost was off-putting. I want to buy but need to wait until the camera arrives first.

Also need to look at lens caps as I understand Canon don't ship'em with their cameras.

Will definitely be going again in the future. It's one of my favourite places to go and the fact you can go in and interact with some of the animals make it much better than an average zoo.

Where is the zoo modchild?

Always love to go see some nice animals when I can :)

Which screen protector do you use, I'd be interested in getting one for the 70D. When the wife got her 650D I emailed Canon to ask about fitting a screen protector and would it interfere with the touchscreen and they emailed back to say any of the protectors on the market at that time might/probably would interfere with the screens sensitivity.

Had a delivery yesterday of a delayed birthday present. The wife had ordered a battery grip from Cathedral Cameras for the 70D ( http://www.cathedralcameras.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=bg-e14 ) without me knowing. This is the first genuine Canon grip I've had and they've got it at a great price compared to the rest of the camera shops I've seen it advertised in.

I was going to wait until a 3rd party grip came out but my wonderful wife knows I much prefer a grip to make the camera comfortable in my hands and so she ordered it, but the money is coming out of our joint account though :LOL:

I can't remember the brand but it was a free extra when I bought it from Panamoz ages ago. I doubt it was a super duper one and it was actually slightly too big for the screen so there was a bit of plastic around the edges not completely flush with the rest of it.

That being said, it worked fine and I had no issues using the touchscreen so I'd be surprised if you had any problems. Maybe you can even find one that fits perfectly but I don't think I'll bother with one on my 70d

I thought Phil V was talking about my pics as they were taken at Donington (Donny)!

Silly me.

Hi,

My 70D has just arrived this afternoon, first play looks promising :)

Mike.

Waahhh!!! I'm still waiting. Which lens are you using on it mikey?

Waahhh!!! I'm still waiting. Which lens are you using on it mikey?

Hi,

Tried it earlier with the Canon 300 F2.8L IS, sample below, crap subject will add another

IMG_0023-L.jpg

Full frame, straight out of camera handheld, car approximately 40m away, taken as jpeg with no PP.

Mike.

Last edited:
I decided to give my 70-200 F4L some work since I hadn't used it since I bought my 70d

Was hunting some Rabbits down a little path and saw a few when all of a sudden, this Fox that was about 3-5 meters from me but on the other side of a hedge just legged it away across a field. I cursed my bad luck at having this lens on instead of my 100-400mm!

Anyway, as I was about to walk off, another Fox legged it away across the field so I decided to make a little squeaky noise and he/she stopped to check back for a few seconds before running off again so I managed to get a few shots.

The closer shot is cropped rather heavily down to 1371 x 916... I wish my 100-400mm was this sharp lol

Summer Fox by Phal44, on Flickr

Summer Fox by Phal44, on Flickr

about the same as the 60d in terms of noise and detail retention in raw files.

Jpeg engine on 70d apears to have more aggressive noise redution from samples i have seen

I always think high iso shots always depend on the look of the picture in the first place and also the place and way its taken to be honest.

As there appears a hell of alot of noise in the shot, more so than when I look at a 6400 shot on dpp from my 60d but then I have taken shots in good situations on the mrs 1100d at 6400 that have come out cleaner than my 60d's do in harsher conditions.

I think its like we have always said, its what the user deems acceptable.

I think the 70D looks like a great camera, much like the 60D, 7D and all the other canon's before it, good new features especially for those looking straight into the xx range.

For me personally the iq is no better or worse than a 60D and as I use the camera for stills in my work it makes no sense of an upgrade but for anyone jumping in i mean superb camera, the images from mod and the car shots are also great images and show crop cameras still do it! :)

Last edited:
Where is the zoo modchild?

Always love to go see some nice animals when I can :)

It's Yorkshire Wildlife Park ( http://www.yorkshirewildlifepark.com/ ) in Doncaster and it really is a great day out for anyone interested in animals and/or photography. You can go inside the pens of the Lemurs, Wallabies, Capybara and lots of others and really get some 'hands on' experience.

The other thing I really like is the way they've done the fencing to make it fairly easy to get some good shots of the wilder animals like the Lions, Tigers and Baboons. They're also expanding as they get new animals in so there's new things to see. we usually go 2 or 3 times a year and I love it more than the kids.

Last edited:
Bryan, as Phil said above, your pics are great. I really like the timing of the second and third shots above. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you've got with the 1/500sec and even down to 1/50sec shutter speed you used.

I'm sure your panning technique has something to do with it, but I struggle with panning as I have a back problem so I tend to up the shutter speed and miss out on the sense of speed in the background.

Last edited:
Bryan, as Phil said above, your pics are great. I really like the timing of the second and third shots above. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you've got with the 1/500sec and even down to 1/50sec shutter speed you used.

I'm sure your panning technique has something to do with it, but I struggle with panning as I have a back problem so I tend to up the shutter speed and miss out on the sense of speed in the background.

Thank you :cool:

I'll only tend to go down to 1/50 if I'm shooting quite wide, for example that was taken at 35mm, at 100mm and above I find the usable limit at around 1/100 before the hit rate drops off sharply. I like places where you can get close to the track as they make for more interesting shots, managed to get down as low as 1/20 at Prescott Hillclimb!

RRG13-0478 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

I have good days and bad days, but practice helps and a lot of it is down to muscle memory. I still have a lot of improving to do though!

we usually go 2 or 3 times a year and I love it more than the kids.

Better not let the kids read this lol ;):D:p

Mike.

Hi,

off out for a serious play with mine ... oooer missus :)

Mike.

Better not let the kids read this lol ;):D:p

Mike.

:LOL: That does look a bit weird now that I've re-read it. Maybe I should of put 'I love it more than the kids did'. Mind you, at times with my 2 ankle biters it could be true :LOL:

I always think high iso shots always depend on the look of the picture in the first place and also the place and way its taken to be honest.

As there appears a hell of alot of noise in the shot, more so than when I look at a 6400 shot on dpp from my 60d but then I have taken shots in good situations on the mrs 1100d at 6400 that have come out cleaner than my 60d's do in harsher conditions.

I think its like we have always said, its what the user deems acceptable.

I think the 70D looks like a great camera, much like the 60D, 7D and all the other canon's before it, good new features especially for those looking straight into the xx range.

For me personally the iq is no better or worse than a 60D and as I use the camera for stills in my work it makes no sense of an upgrade but for anyone jumping in i mean superb camera, the images from mod and the car shots are also great images and show crop cameras still do it! :)

Yeah, image quality alone isn't the reason to upgrade from a 60d or even my 650d. The sensor has a bit more resolution but other than that the images coming out are very like my 650d.

The main reasons I upgraded were the better/faster/more accurate AF as well as the extra continuous frame rate and larger buffer. There are other features which are nice too but those are the main ones.

The main reasons I upgraded were the better/faster/more accurate AF as well as the extra continuous frame rate and larger buffer. There are other features which are nice too but those are the main ones.

Exactly that. :)

Its the main reasons also why I havent upgraded the 60D so to speak as I get on well with the 5.3 fps 9 point system of the 60D so kind of seemed like it would of been a waste.

Great to see Canon implementing new features into the cameras though and the reviews all think the new dual pixel is a superb thing for the videos which is another great thing as for too long the "users" have been getting on too much at canon when essentially, all the range from the 1100d all the way upto the 1Dx produce stunning quality images when put with a good lens... heck even kit lens can produce great images and from what I see and expected all along, the 70D is also superb in the image quality department :)

So I stuck a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A on mine and had a lunchtime wander.

95v6Ilh.jpg

I'd like to try out some video with it at some point.

Last edited:
Hi,

two birds taken a few hundred yards apart :) The first is a crop whilst 2nd one is full frame.

IMG_1113-L.jpg

IMG_0424-L.jpg

Mike.

Last edited:
Hi all

Some initial pics of mine, carved from the large amount of dross...huge learning curve using the 70D over my powershot so be kind as I am sure these are not up to the standard of those posted already on this thread ;)

1. Attempting some DoF
9680176241_7933d677cf_c_d.jpg

2. Not sure what I was trying but I like it
9680185481_26426a419d_c_d.jpg

3. Amazed at photo opportunities I am now seeing...one of the office
9680217673_6f05205e10_c_d.jpg

A still from a video taken with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 attached.

TDV8YlE.png

I am really impressed with the video on this.

Emailed Kerso and I have to wait another week :crying: :crying: :crying:

You ought to have a think about Panamoz. They've got a body only for £759 http://panamoz.com/index.php/digital-cameras/canon/canon-eos-70d-20mp-digital-slr-camera-body.html and they were very reliable when I was buying things. They usually deliver in 4 to 5 days and I got a lens one time in 3 days.

I've also had great service when I had to make a claim under warranty. My Sigma 150-500 OS developed a problem, I contacted them and they gave me the address to send it (in London and not Hong Kong) and I had a brand new lens delivered in 11 days.

I would of suggested going to Hdew Cameras as they are very reliable with fast delivery and great service but unfortunately they don't have any in stock at the moment.

I was going to go with HDEW but with the fiasco over customs etc, decided to go with Kerso. Have paid. Just waiting for stock and delivery.

The 70D does look a lovely piece of kit for the money and the pictures so far look superb i think that it helps if you can take good pictures in the first place. :->

I'm stupid so bare with me. Why do people compare a £2000+ camera with a £1000+ camera i would hope if i spent as much on a camera that it would be better. :)

The 70D does look a lovely piece of kit for the money and the pictures so far look superb i think that it helps if you can take good pictures in the first place. :->

I'm stupid so bare with me. Why do people compare a £2000+ camera with a £1000+ camera i would hope if i spent as much on a camera that it would be better. :)

Well in my case, the crop factor comes into play with macro for two reasons, being able to keep a little further back from the subject, which makes lighting a tad easier and also reduces the scare factor for the subject. The second being a slightly deeper DOF, which allows for a tiny bit of extra "bug" in focus at the same aperture.

The 70D holds up quite well, but it can't match the 5D3, which is fine by me as the results are good enough for printing at a fair old size. I bought the 70D as it has micro adjust, which is a good thing, as I found my 135F2 needed +8:puke:

Being able to have two bodies, one being a crop, gives me the best of both worlds, I can plop the 2 x MK111 on the 70D and my lenses in effect become MUCH longer, allowing me to have a pop at birds, aircraft etc.

And for less than £700, the 70D is, in my mind, a bargain(y)

I told you i'm stupid for some reason i had it in my mind the 70D was full frame.

And that wasp scares the cr ap out of me every time i look at it.

And yes at £700 that is a real bargain.

Not stupid at all, 12 months ago I knew jack about photography, we all need to learn, and we never stop learning. I found youtube and forums like this the best way to gather and digest information.
There's a guy called Mike Browne on youtube that does some really good videos, put across in a simple and easy to understand way. Check it out..
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4S07E5NC0R7pVuzBJ0e8Q

I had my 100 f2.8L Macro on the 70D this evening for the first time. I'd seen a caterpillar outside so I put it on our garden table and got the camera. I was pretty pleased with the result although, as others have said, my 5D3 does edge it.

These were taken at f14, 1/250sec with my Sigma ringflash on. The first was taken just as it was uncurling itself from the side on.

9696181508_339905f48f_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The second one was a full on portrait when it was just beginning to curl up again.

9692952051_c82e278e7f_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I was going to go with HDEW but with the fiasco over customs etc, decided to go with Kerso. Have paid. Just waiting for stock and delivery.

With Hdew there's no duty, tax avoidance or customs to worry about. They do all the hard work with the imports and deal with customs. There's nothing else to pay when the camera arrives and you get a UK VAT receipt if you want one. Couple that with a 3 year warranty and you get yourself a bargain. Had it not been I was part exchanging other bodies for my 70D, only cost me a net outlay of £60, I would of gone with Hdew again. I've had a 5D2 with 24-405 f4L kit and a 5D3 body from them in the past and got brilliant service both times.

Last edited:
Am happy to wait and see what happens next week. If there's no camera by then, I'll get a refund and go elsewhere.

Back