Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Got mine now - very impressed so far. The AF is definitely a big step up from my 5D. Great video mode too.

Does anyone have any experience of a third party grip for the 7D? I have a Phottix one for my 5D which seems pretty decent, just wondering if the 7D version is the same. I have heard linkdelight are ok too but just wondering if anyone has any experience specific to the 7D. The official Canon one just seems a little too expensive for what it is.

I had a phottix one for a while, the only major difference was the lack of the rubber grip on the battery door. I ended up getting a Canon one in the end off of here.

Thanks Euan - might just get the Phottix one then.

Hi Grum,

Glad you are enjoying your new camera!
How long did yours take to arrive from ordering?
I ordered mine on Monday 10am and was told I would get it this week but I've had no e-mail that it's even been despatched yet.
I e-mailed Friday afternoon but have had no response.

Ian

I think I ordered on Friday last week and it came on Thursday this week. Give them a ring if you are concerned, they were very helpful when I ordered on the phone.

I watched a 50min video about the 7D last night (got the link from on here somewhere) in which a guy from Canon explains the cameras strengths and touches on it's weaknesses, one of which being it's crowded sensor.........

Does anyone have the link for this video? Would be really handy.

Nice one thanks - will give that a watch later. (y)
You have to search for them as they aren't direct links. Put 7D into the search box and then scroll to the last 3 videos. They are the ones designated "Canon EOS 7D" (position 19-22 when I searched)

Another 7D newbie here, I picked one up at Focus yesterday.

Got my head buried in a copy of Canon EOS 7D - The Expanded Guide, by Andy Stansfield.

It's quite a complex beast compared to the 450. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with everything the camera has to offer.

Chris

Another 7D newbie here, I picked one up at Focus yesterday.

Got my head buried in a copy of Canon EOS 7D - The Expanded Guide, by Andy Stansfield.

It's quite a complex beast compared to the 450. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with everything the camera has to offer.

Chris
Chris I hope it's not rude of me but can I ask what you paid for it at Focus? I have just sold a mkIV and now want a 7D so if they have a good price I might nip down and get one.

Chris I hope it's not rude of me but can I ask what you paid for it at Focus? I have just sold a mkIV and now want a 7D so if they have a good price I might nip down and get one.

Andy,

Not rude at all, happy to share the information. I paid £999 for the 7D, bought it from Jacobs. This was for UK sealed box stock. They also had B grade, with a 12 month guarantee, for what I think was £100 less.

I thought about having a B grade 7D, but I was haunted by the thought of picking a Friday afternoon model, with an obscure intermittent fault and suffering all the retun hassle to go with it. Is that worth £100? An individual decision I think.

I had made my mind up before arriving at the show, if the UK stock was on offer for £1k or less, I would buy. Anything more than that I would have bought a grey import from one of the reputable organisations that are mentioned here.

Chris

is this a good book to get? i am also after something a bit more indepth regarding the 7D.

I'm only a few pages into the book, but it seems to be quite good, clearly written and lots of colour "screen shots" of the LCD and plenty of additional illustrations.

I can't compare it to any other publishers, this is the only one I have used.

Chris

Andy,

Not rude at all, happy to share the information. I paid £999 for the 7D, bought it from Jacobs. This was for UK sealed box stock. They also had B grade, with a 12 month guarantee, for what I think was £100 less.

I thought about having a B grade 7D, but I was haunted by the thought of picking a Friday afternoon model, with an obscure intermittent fault and suffering all the retun hassle to go with it. Is that worth £100? An individual decision I think.

I had made my mind up before arriving at the show, if the UK stock was on offer for £1k or less, I would buy. Anything more than that I would have bought a grey import from one of the reputable organisations that are mentioned here.

Chris
Thanks for that Chris. I assume that price is a Focus special deal? I wonder if they would have stock left if I went down on Wednesday? £999 is the price Kerso quoted me but for the price of a train ride from Nottingham I could pick one up for the same price at Focus.

You have to search for them as they aren't direct links. Put 7D into the search box and then scroll to the last 3 videos. They are the ones designated "Canon EOS 7D" (position 19-22 when I searched)

Thanks, watching now.

edit: crikey there's quite a lot to learn about the AF system! So much more advanced than my 5D I. Still, will be great for this summer when I'm planning to go and shoot a load of mountain bike races.

That Focus price on the 7D is good - I was happy to pay £958 inc delivery for a grey import from HDEW, does come with a 3 year warranty though.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Chris. I assume that price is a Focus special deal? I wonder if they would have stock left if I went down on Wednesday? £999 is the price Kerso quoted me but for the price of a train ride from Nottingham I could pick one up for the same price at Focus.

They did say it was a show price, if they didn't have any left on the show stand they may be prepared to honour the price if you arrange to pick one up from one of their branches.

One of these years I'm going take a day off and enjoy the show on a less crowded day. It's a good event, but the Sunday crowd does take the edge of it.

Chris

I was going to get a used on at around £850 but the extra £150 to get new might be money well spent.

hey ducduc, you can't be far away from me. salford at night is a sight to see

IMG_1278.jpg

Hey Philgale I like your night shot. Been want to get there for night time but have not had the chance yet, and would like it to be a bit warmer. Great shot!

Got my 7d - delivered yesterday morning :D.
It was the wifes birthday yesterday, so thought it best if I seemed disinterested in the camera (y) (I've only managed to charge the battery and looked at the menu system).
Can't wait to have a play around with it tonight!

Got my 7d - delivered yesterday morning :D.
It was the wifes birthday yesterday, so thought it best if I seemed disinterested in the camera (y) (I've only managed to charge the battery and looked at the menu system).
Can't wait to have a play around with it tonight!

Is that your wife or the camera?

Took my 7D out for it's first proper play today - had to go into central Manchester for work so I thought I'd test out the Samyang 8mm fisheye.

Fascinating fish eye effect, TBH I'm not sure what to make of it - do you use the 8mm very often? I'd be interested in seeing some other shots from it.

Love the contrast between the sharp figures and the background bokeh on the 85mm shots, especially on No.4.

Chris

Don't know if this is the same thing that Russ saw, but these are a 7D presentation from Canon. Parts 1 & 2 are 50mins, the third is shorter.

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?f...b9a26a992d3ab2

In addition to the videos on B&H's site, Canon have 16 short video tutorials on the 7D......

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

I found them useful to give an overview of the available options.

Chris

Here are some more Rugby shots.....

Took them on Saturday with my Sigma 170-500mm attached.

All of the below were shot in large RAW, have been processed in LR3 and noise reduction applied to a level I though appropriate......

These were taken at ISO1600

RHRFC110312-15.jpg

RHRFC110312-5.jpg

My bro-in-law in the thick of it

RHRFC110312-45.jpg

ISO3200

RHRFC110312-73.jpg

RHRFC110312-75.jpg

RHRFC110312-72.jpg

Personally I don't think there is a noise issue once a small amount of PP's been done :cool:

Really enjoying this camera, the kittens are making ideal test subjects :LOL:

This is unedited, straight from camera:

5541475712_2bacaa9087_b.jpg

And a 100% crop:

5540894177_83d74608d1_b.jpg

Taken with 70-200mm f/4L
f/4
1/500s
ISO 100

Hi all thought i would post in here as i have a 7D, not took to many pics with it yet as only had it just over a week i do have it gripped as i find portrait pics easier to take with the grip, have a few lenses hoping to add some more soon(y)

Hello all. has anyone upgraded from a 50D? I am thinking of doing so - would be interested in whether anyone considers it a good choice of upgrade :) Looking at all the posts I am convinced so far!

Same here, I currently have a 50d and a classic 1Ds, been pondering selling them both and getting a 7d.. Has anyone made this move, and is the 7d really much of an upgrade from the 50d?

Thanks,
Sam

What lens do you use with the 50D Sam? I have a 24-105 on mine most of the time, which I intend using on the 7D. Also considered keeping the 50D and buying the 24-70 instead - tough choices as I dont know what option will work best ? !

What lens do you use with the 50D Sam? I have a 24-105 on mine most of the time, which I intend using on the 7D. Also considered keeping the 50D and buying the 24-70 instead - tough choices as I dont know what option will work best ? !

I expect the f2.8 could come in more helpful on the 24-70... Yes, the extra reach of the 24-105 might be handy, but with 18mp to play with there's plenty of room for cropping I should think.

Entirely up to you though dude!

f2.8 vs f4 with IS
70mm long end vs 105mm long end (bearing in mind cropping ability)
950g vs 670g...

Me personally would go for the 24-70!

Well, I currently have the following:

Samyang 8mm fisheye
Canon 17-55 EFS F2.8 IS
Canon 28-105 F4 L
Canon 70-200 F4 L
Canon 100mm F2.8 macro
Canon 50mm F1.8 mk1

Currently decided which of the 28-105 or the 17-55 to keep.. Recently got the 28-105 as a walkaround for the 1Ds but think I really need to rationalise down to 1 body.
Problems is both are stunning!

Sam

All good points but I'm still no wiser lol. My logic is to go for the upgrade to the 7d for the improved focus points etc.. And 8fps for action photography, but the 24-70 is very tempting too ! I have the 70-200 f2.8 and the images produced at the 2.8 end are superb.
The previous threads and reviews put the 7d into a completely different category though to the 50d, which is swaying me.

Those off you with a Samyang 8mm fisheye how you finding it?, because I'm thinking off buying one very soon

Very happy with it, for the money. :)

Sam

I sold my 50D late last year & bought a 7D last week :)

I gave it it's first outing yesterday at the TPF British Wildlife Centre meet & the initial impressions are that the AF is much better. It seemed to be really good at the "grab" shots ie catching a rampaging squirrel or flying bird

I sold my 50D late last year & bought a 7D last week :)

I gave it it's first outing yesterday at the TPF British Wildlife Centre meet & the initial impressions are that the AF is much better. It seemed to be really good at the "grab" shots ie catching a rampaging squirrel or flying bird

Actually Brian I think it's you that had the "grab" yesterday. Most of us seemed to have 7d's there but your images of the red squirrels really stand out.

I moved from the 50D to a 7D

Definitly an upgrade for the type of photography I do (Action, stuff that moves a lot!)

I find noise control to be slightly better at high ISO on the 7D and the autofocus is superb. It has been said on here recently by someone who used the 7D and the 1DIV that the 7D autofocus is at least comparable if not having the edge.

Those off you with a Samyang 8mm fisheye how you finding it?, because I'm thinking off buying one very soon

Very pleased with it - for me it's not worth spending loads on a fisheye as I won't use it that much, though I've used it more than I thought. Mainly got it for making skate/snowboard videos etc.

I moved from the 50D to a 7D

Definitly an upgrade for the type of photography I do (Action, stuff that moves a lot!)

I find noise control to be slightly better at high ISO on the 7D and the autofocus is superb. It has been said on here recently by someone who used the 7D and the 1DIV that the 7D autofocus is at least comparable if not having the edge.

I've not used the 1D4, but I had the 1D3 before downgrading to the 7D. The 7D AF is nice but the 1D3 is better.

Back