Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Hi all, I'm hoping to get an 80d in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to buy a spare battery as well. Is there any difference in camera performance between the lpe-6n and the lpe-6 batteries and what speed sd cards will be best, I don't see the point in forking out for cards that are faster the the camera. My old canara uses a cf card so I obviously can't use that.

Reactions: Sto
It's here, my new (well nearly new) 80d camera. I'm hoping it's a significant upgrade from my 50d, which I still like and will be keeping (I'm not too sure anyone else would want it).
The battery is on charge, so will have to wait a while for a play around :):)

It's here, my new (well nearly new) 80d camera. I'm hoping it's a significant upgrade from my 50d, which I still like and will be keeping (I'm not too sure anyone else would want it).
The battery is on charge, so will have to wait a while for a play around :):)

Nothing wrong with a 50D, still got mine ;) and the matching grip (y)

@Norkie This thread would be a lot more active if it was expanded to include any cameras that use the same sensor, like the sL2/200D, M5, M50 etc ... just a thought

I don't ever remember writing this or what I mean by it (n)

Seems like you meant the camera is good for any style, "It's just I'm not" perhaps? Which is what a lot of us joke about, we are our own worst critics :)

Seems like you meant the camera is good for any style, "It's just I'm not" perhaps? Which is what a lot of us joke about, we are our own worst critics :)
Yes, that seems to make sense. I still have no recollection of writing it though :(

Nothing wrong with a 50D, still got mine ;) and the matching grip (y)

Same here

I was close to giving it away to a friend some time back. Still have it but mainly use my M kit. I ‘lent’ my eldest som my 80D but I doubt if I will ever use it again!

Same here

I was close to giving it away to a friend some time back. Still have it but mainly use my M kit. I ‘lent’ my eldest som my 80D but I doubt if I will ever use it again!

Do you not like the 80D? I'm still pondering it if I sell my G80

Might not be anything wrong with yours, but mine has a failed shutter... :(
Otherwise, the 50D is a very good camera.
Mines only got 23,500 clicks on it :)
PS, you have got my guitar as your Avatar, except it's the wrong colour :D

Mines only got 23,500 clicks on it :)
PS, you have got my guitar as your Avatar, except it's the wrong colour :D
Mine had more than 80k clicks on it and the shutter jammed whilst we were on holiday in Iceland (the country not the supermarket). Fortunately had a back up.
The guitar in my avatar is mine and it's the right colour.. ;)

I’ve just got the Canon 80D printed book from eBay ..... It was Sto in the Library with the 80D Manual hit someone with this and they’re not getting up this side of Christmas
I’m a total beginner always had a point and shoot or iPhone so there’s lots to learn. Learning about Exposure today, Reciprocity with Aperture and Shutter speed , and the ISO . Lots of good stuff on here. Fascinating

It's a steep learning curve, but definitely worth it. Don't try to take it all in at once. I started in Av mode (I'll let you look that up, in your new book), which is mainly what I still use and is probably the most common of the semi auto modes used by others.

To the lower right of each image on Flickr, you'll see 4 icons, the second one, the curved arrow, is used to share the image. Choose BBCode, and the drop down to medium 800x quality, copy the link and post that here for each one.

View attachment 135459 can see the transfer arrow but then just get copy URL nothing about reducing to 800 medium. Sorry folks total newb x

You're getting there :) Are you on a phone, tablet or PC?

This is what you should see on PC at least after clicking the arrow -

flickrshare.jpg

When uploading direct to the forum, when attaching the files make sure you click full view for all images at the top only [edited as instructions weren't clear]

Last edited:
you on a phone, tablet or PC? I’m on a phone

That'll explain it, bit more awkward on there, I never share from a phone so maybe someone else can help more with that. You're getting the hang of it though, only you posted the Tiger twice

That'll explain it, bit more awkward on there, I never share from a phone so maybe someone else can help more with that. You're getting the hang of it though, only you posted the Tiger twice
That's because you told him to " When uploading direct to the forum, when attaching the files make sure you click full view for all images too". The "too" implies that is additional to clicking on the actual image.

That's because you told him to " When uploading direct to the forum, when attaching the files make sure you click full view for all images too". The "too" implies that is additional to clicking on the actual image.

Whoops, I meant also, as in on top of the instructions for Flickr. Edited that post now to try make it clearer.

I just checked on my phone there, I can't see a way to choose a size to share from Flickr direct either. Must be the original size you upload? Were they files transferred to your phone and then upped to Flickr via the phone? Maybe check your upload size to flickr

Last edited:
Over the years I've been through a 450D, 40D, 50D, 1000D (don't ask :)), 650D and now an 80D
First impressions are wow, things have certainly come a long way.
The new AF point system is a massive boot and the ISO handling with test shots indoors is a massive improvement as well.
I'm going to enjoy learning about this camera although it's very intuitive.
80d ev values makes good in low light very capable camera

My new 80d arrives sometime in the next 60 minutes...come on DHL!

A few from me from the recent FIA World Endurance Championship race at Silverstone. Love the results I get from this camera using some not so great lenses.

Those look great. How do you find the 80D AF through the viewfinder for this type of photography?

Anyone using a 3rd party battery grip that wants to share their thoughts on the performance of it with the 80d?

Back