1. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well, I have decided to take the plunge and trade my 70d for an 80d
    I have been very impressed with my 70d, a super camera. But there are a few enhancements in the 80 that have swayed me :canon:

Any thoughts ?

nickdancona likes this.
  2. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Did you get the trade in of £450 at jessops? If so the I think its a great deal. It's an all ew sensor in there too isn't it?

Norkie likes this.
  3. Az_GTi

Az_GTi

Name:
    Az
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm quite tempted to do exactly same as you - swap my 70D for 80D. Not available until end of month though and I need my 70D until then so can't firm up exchange with Jessops... doh.

Seems to be quite a bit of interest in the 80D, much more than previous xxD updates. Not really sure why though...

4. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Maybe it's the 24mp+ sensor, should be quite impressive on a APS_C came era.

5. redsnappa

redsnappa

Name:
    Redsnappa
    Edit My Images:
    No
    For me there is not enough additional feature set on the 80D to contemplate the upgrade to the 80D. Looks like the 90D may be a batter upgrade

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's the dilemma isn't it? How long do you wait for the next best camera?

The 70d has been my firm favourite, especially with macro and the 100mm lens effectively becoming a 160mm.

I still think the best part about this 'range' is the flip out screen though, excellent :)

7. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Where would the 90d be though in terms of upgrade and features? Maybe it will get 4k? Personally I don't see anything major happening until 2018. But both of those are ages away :D

Both fuji and sony have updated there sensors for the better, will be very interesting to see a comparison between all 3...

8. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    4k would not be enough to tempt me to upgrade to a 90D, if it appeared in 2018.

9. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you got a delivery date for it? Look forward to having a play with one at the photography show at the nec.

10. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    No not yet :(

End of March is all we know.

11. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    only 21 days.... Did you have to trade in your 70d now or is it all done for when they get the stock?

12. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm expecting to do the deal on the day, they have agreed a part ex so that's fine. Most likely need to haggle!

michael23 likes this.
  13. mjb123

mjb123

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm sure that by the time the 90d comes out 4K will be old hat!!

michael23 likes this.
  14. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Very true actually, I wasn't counting years properly. It's over 2 years since the 70d was released. I was thinking a 90d would come before then...

15. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
  16. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Our local agent, WEX still have nil stock, due anytime though :whistle:

17. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Going to have a play with one on Sunday at the photography show.

18. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think you will be a very happy owner, had a play today at the photography show and I'm quite impressed, the live view af is really good, seems a little faster than my 7dmk2? Sensor looks great and high iso is certainly looking good to me compared to my 7dmk2, though I forgot to put the 80d in raw and shot jpeg. Overall handling is like a 70d really, though I think the 80d feels nicer, though it is a while since I had my 70d though.

The new 18-135 as an aside is very nice, I noticed a good difference in the af speed over the stm version.

Norkie and Revill74 like this.
  19. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
    Sounds good. FM did some comparisons and the general vibe was DR at low ISO's is improved with the new sensor but the 7DMKII is better at higher ISOs. Still not Nikon / Sony DR performance but getting better :)

Looking around the pre-order sites Amazon UK is showing a shipping date of the 25th so this Friday :)

20. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
  21. michael23

michael23

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Here are some samples for you, nothing perfect as it was elbows to elbows at the canon stand, plus my right side isn't the steadiest atm. Click through to flickr for full size. Only differnce, my 7dmk2 was in raw, theses files are converted and saved to jpeg in dpp, nothing done to them at all, the 80d was large jpeg, 18-135 stm on my camera and new 18-135 on the 80d

[​IMG]7dmk2 16000 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]80d 16000 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]80d 12800 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]7dmk 12800 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]7dmk2 6400 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]80d 6400 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Revill74 and Sharky like this.
  22. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
    michael23 likes this.
  23. RChuck

RChuck

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My local store has the bodies in stock, though they cannot sell them till the 25th. But the're closed this friday. The body + kit lens, which is what I have preordered will not be in their store until next Wednesday.

24. a1ex2001

a1ex2001

Name:
    Alex
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  25. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
    Panamoz say they should have stock after the Easter weekend but no word on pricing yet.

26. simonm8

simonm8

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My local shop are saying Wednesday or Thursday was going to do the deal there as getting good trade in for my 70d. Had a email from wex saying my preorder is ready to be sent and they will price match my trade in so if loca shop ain't got it by Wednesday I will go with wex. Just got to send the 70d off

Sharky likes this.
  27. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I am on leave next week (W/C 28/03) so hopefully get mine sorted then :)

Just depends who is going to do the best for me, Jessops or WEX?

28. smr

smr

Name:
    Joel
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  29. vickylou

vickylou

Name:
    Vicky
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    80D appears to be shipping today, any samples as yet?

30. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
  31. Az_GTi

Az_GTi

Name:
    Az
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I should get my hands on one later today. If I do I'll be using it tomorrow and Sunday. Be interesting to see how the AF performs!

32. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am still tempted but I have my 70D/750D pairing fully under my belt now. Whether I can resist when I have an 80D in my hands will be the moment to give in or get one. My eldest som has one on pre-order....

33. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm in York at the mo, so WEX will get a visit most likely Tuesday :) can't wait

34. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Post some images/opinions, that would be excellent :)

35. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
    Portus Digital have some stock coming in after the Easter weekend but it sounds limited numbers and no pricing yet.

36. Az_GTi

Az_GTi

Name:
    Az
    Edit My Images:
    No
    She's in my hands!

[​IMG]

Picked up quite late today though so was dark by time I got home. Have taken a few shots inside with a 100-400 II but nothing to properly test it yet. Does handle nice, very much like the 70D as expected. Can't seem to get the NFC working properly yet though, may need to actually read the manual lol

Sharky likes this.
  37. Norkie

Norkie

Name:
    Jak
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well done, excellent stuff ;)

Yeah, does help, read the manual...

38. J Veitch

J Veitch

Name:
    James
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I upgraded from a 40d to the 70d, I'll be interested in hearing how you all get along with the 80d. Enjoy your new cameras.

39. Sharky

Sharky

Edit My Images:
    No
    Digital Rev and other grey retailers are starting to show prices now, £899 for body only.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  40. Az_GTi

Az_GTi

Name:
    Az
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Used the 80D in anger for the first time yesterday paired with a 100-400 II and was quite impressed I must say. AF seems a bit better compared to the 70D and it looks like noise control is a bit better too, especially above ISO 800. Because of the gloomy weather I went to ISO 2000 and images were still usable. I don't think there's a "big" jump from the 70D, I've always found that a pretty capable camera but I do feel there's an improvement which I can notice.

Here's a quick sample pic, hotlinked from my Facebook (won't post directly due to size) - https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...628_1055110327894408_225028130146940551_o.jpg

Plenty more were taken with the 80D and 100-400 combo. The Wifi hookup to Phone works well just like it did on the 70D and I seem to have a few more "keeper" shots, so pretty happy to far.

Norkie and Sharky like this.