Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Anyone using a 3rd party battery grip that wants to share their thoughts on the performance of it with the 80d?
Why do you ask Chris?

Are you considering a purchase?

I am yes. I’ve had a grip on my old 550d and it just felt nicer when in portrait orientation.

Excellent, I have a Canon grip with a battery for sale if you are interested?

I'll post it on the classifieds tonight if you wish?

Cool- yeah go on then let’s see if we can arrange something. Christmas present to me!cheers

I'll post him tonight Chris, thanks (y)

I recently sold my 7Dmk2 and bought the 80D, it was a hard decision but doing less BIF and more all round stuff i decided it was the way to go, i definitely made the right decision, love it.

currently, I own a 750D but finding the number of AF points a little annoying as it only has 19 and its struggling a little in low light. Have invested in a few lenses have the 18-55, 10-18mm 50mm prime and a tamron 70-200 f2.8. Really thinking about changing the body and replacing the 18-55mm kit lens and was considering the 80d. OR do I bite the bullet and go for 6D ii meaning i need to change more lenses. Also iv'e noticed a few rumors about 90d starting to appear as launced in early 2019. worth waiting for or?

been struggling with this dilemma for a few weeks now and thought it worth a post on the forum.

any recommendations for a replacement to the 18-55mm?

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy

If you are going with the 80D then the Canon 17-55 IS USM will take some beating, but it is a lot of dosh. A good alternative is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Bear in mind that neither of these will be of any use on a full frame if you decide to go that route later on though.

Andy I owed a 6D mk1 nice camera but I also own a 80D really good camera excellent low level light performance 15-85 is a really good lens if you do not require F2.8 15mm gives a wide end for landscapes 85mm gives you portrait cover. Have a look on flicker 15-85 and 17-55 I have had both lens kept the 15-85 as more versatile

Thanks for the comments both. Still struggling with the body decision but will check out those lenses. Mazdaman do you prefer your 80d or 6d I ?

Andy I have to say my 80D over the 6D both have merits but given my photography interests the 80D ticks the box. I bought mine from e global for 575 about a year ago so impressed I bought another one from the classified section a few weeks ago. 6D mark 1 is a great camera when you consider the price of a 5D mark 4. I did consider the 7D mark 2 but as a all round camera I felt the 80D ticks the box for me.

Mazdaman. I’m leaning more towards the 80d to be fair and your comments are greatfully recieved. Also saves me a bit of cash to grab additional batteries and the like. A little hesitant to but from e global for the grey imports but was considering mbp potentially. But there’s nothing like using your brand new equipment is there

Andy I have bought most of my lenses and body's over the years through the import market used most of the main importers never had a issue. But used low shutter examples can be found. Camera jungle worth a look as they give 12 months warranty the recent black friday events saw MPB given 10% WEX 10% Camera Jungle 12.5% hopefully new year sales it will be the same.

Thanks mazdaman will hold off until the new year then and have a look about. Birthday in jan so I may treat myself. Not heard of camera jungle but will take a look. Thanks again.

No problem Andy camera jungle are part of Jessops as far as I can recall

Mazdaman. I’m leaning more towards the 80d to be fair and your comments are greatfully recieved. Also saves me a bit of cash to grab additional batteries and the like. A little hesitant to but from e global for the grey imports but was considering mbp potentially. But there’s nothing like using your brand new equipment is there
you can get a brand new 80D for £619 from HDEW with a 3 year warranty, loads on here have used them including me...
don't know where you are based but if you are near them (Surrey) you can go and pick it up.

Last edited:
I bought my 80D from HDEW and can't complain about their service. Mine actually went back for a minor issue to be sorted but communication was good.

My two most used lenses are the 100-400 and 15-85, the latter being an excellent all-round lens and I'd not hesitate to recommend one.

The recent posts in this thread about someone buying new has had me thinking about mine and how it’s not missed a beat since I bought it. I’ve chucked a lot at it, including letting my 5 and 7 year olds have a ‘go’ of it which is a test for anything! Seriously though I think I’m probably taking it for granted in that I know wherever I’m going it will be up to the job. For instance I’ve been to New York, wales rally GB, family parties, beach trips, Copenhagen, I’ve shot my kids dance school show on it (3000 images in a single night). It’s a top camera. Love mine.

currently, I own a 750D but finding the number of AF points a little annoying as it only has 19 and its struggling a little in low light. Have invested in a few lenses have the 18-55, 10-18mm 50mm prime and a tamron 70-200 f2.8. Really thinking about changing the body and replacing the 18-55mm kit lens and was considering the 80d. OR do I bite the bullet and go for 6D ii meaning i need to change more lenses. Also iv'e noticed a few rumors about 90d starting to appear as launced in early 2019. worth waiting for or?

been struggling with this dilemma for a few weeks now and thought it worth a post on the forum.

any recommendations for a replacement to the 18-55mm?

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy
Andy, TBH if i wanted a FF i would go 5DIII everyday over the 6DII, it seems from what i have seen the 6DII is basically an 80D with a FF sensor, in your position i would get the 80D.
As you have a nifty 50 and a super wide angle zoom do you really need an 18-55? how about a 1.4x extender III, it would go great with the 70-200.
What do you actually use the 18-55 for?

Andy, TBH if i wanted a FF i would go 5DIII everyday over the 6DII, it seems from what i have seen the 6DII is basically an 80D with a FF sensor, in your position i would get the 80D.
As you have a nifty 50 and a super wide angle zoom do you really need an 18-55? how about a 1.4x extender III, it would go great with the 70-200.
What do you actually use the 18-55 for?
Thanks for the recommendation re the 5diii worth investigating. Not thought about an extender good call. And I only use to 18-55 when I’m being lazy. To be fair I keep forgetting about the nifty fifty and using my feet you get much better shots that way and forces you to move about.

you can get a brand new 80D for £619 from HDEW with a 3 year warranty, loads on here have used them including me...
don't know where you are based but if you are near them (Surrey) you can go and pick it up.
Sorry for being thick what’s HDEW? I live in Chester, Cheshire so a bit of a trek to pick up. Do they come with (UK) charger and manual ?

Sorry for being thick what’s HDEW? I live in Chester, Cheshire so a bit of a trek to pick up. Do they come with (UK) charger and manual ?
yup UK charger, manual and all the bits that come with it as if you bought it from Jessops.

Looks like I’ll be getting one from there then. Thanks for the heads up. Hope it’s still in stock after crimbo

Looks like I’ll be getting one from there then. Thanks for the heads up. Hope it’s still in stock after crimbo

I got my 80D from HDEW last year, had absolutely no problems with it so far and I've put over 30,000 shots through it now.

I got my 80D from HDEW last year, had absolutely no problems with it so far and I've put over 30,000 shots through it now.
Awsome thanks for the advice.

And thanks all think that’s a decision made 80d as soon as I can from HDEW.

Got my 80D from HDEW too and it was seamless and it’s a great camera too

I bought a used 17-55 f2.8, used 70-200 f4 and a budget 10-18 (all canon) and then added a sigma 150-600 c and they are all excellent lenses

One day I might “upgrade” but that is a cracking full range set up done on the “relative” cheap

I bought a used 17-55 f2.8, used 70-200 f4 and a budget 10-18 (all canon) and then added a sigma 150-600 c and they are all excellent lenses

One day I might “upgrade” but that is a cracking full range set up done on the “relative” cheap
All from HDEW?

I recently got mine from einfinty as it was £70 cheaper than hdew but you get a shorter warranty.

If you are going to do high iso pics the 6dmkii might be a better buy. I was in the same boat as you re ff lens and did not have the budget to move to ff. I think a 5d mk4 is my perfect body but it's currently out of my reach. The 6dmkii at £900 new is still very tempting.

Get the canon 17-55 f2.8 lens it's great.

I have the same kit Tony except the 17-55 will be buying the 15-85. The other three lenses are excellent on the 80D, the Sigma in particular, once I had dialled the lens in with Focal software, is sharp but needs good light to really perform

I got mine from HDEW. Great service, came in a kit box but the transaction was flawless.

I got my 80D a few months ago now and I am really happy with it.
On Friday I went dog racing in Wolverhampton and took about 150 shots (mainly bursts), then on Sunday I went to a local horse jumping show and took another 1103 shots (again mainly bursts) and I've still got 57% battery left, which I find quite impressive (well compared to my 50d).

Well, I crumbled and have no willpower and just placed an order at HDEW for the 80D and a spare battery. hope I don't regret it.

I got mine from HDEW. Great service, came in a kit box but the transaction was flawless.

Camera bodies on their own have import duty applied. For some reason, camera and lens kits don't have any import duty applied, which I'd imagine is one reason places like HDEW and others offer lower prices by importing only body & lens kits and then splitting them. Mine came in a kit box too, I assume they just sell the lens in a white box separately.

Great to see this thread so active, I pondered on an 80D for a while, I'd still love one but just can't give up my G80 just yet, been too pampered with IBIS and evf, but if I was buying a dslr now it would be an 80D.

Since nobody has posted any images on here for a while, here's a few from my last two events of the season back in September

RC-GTLMP3Cup-2018-Donington-5.jpg

RC-GTLMP3Cup-2018-Donington-12.jpg

RC-GTLMP3Cup-2018-Donington-54.jpg

BritGT-Donington-2018-RC-28.jpg

BritGT-Donington-2018-RC-57.jpg

Number 2 is a corker, such dedication on the drivers face.

were these took with the Sigma 120-400 ????

Back