Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Amazon have the 11-22 efm for 299.99 order within 69 hours for Saturday delivery!

Was going to break out my credit card bu the Amazon price has reverted back to a higher £334. The price seems to be a moving feast.

Bristol Cameras have dropped it to £305 so I may well get my son to collect one on Saturday....

Steve

12 hour day shift at work for me tomorrow, but have packed the M in my bag so can sneak out for a few pics!! Happy Xmas all!

Has anyone thought about using the canon 70-200mm f4 for the M instead of the 55-200mm STM as an option
Just tried my 70-200mm f4 L non-IS on the adapter and it works very well. AF is as quick as the dedicated lenses and much better than some of the other EF lenses I've tried.

Merry Christmas to all in this thread for helping me make the best purchase I've made all year. Have a great one, David

I'd like to echo this too. I've managed to get some lovely shots today indoors with the 22mm lens that I'd struggled to have got with my 5D and f4 glass without a flash.

What a cracking little camera! Many thanks to all who helped us buy one of these. Merry Christmas!

Well, the wife seems to be pleased with her M Christmas present! I just need to 'borrow' it now and test the ef adapter with some of my lenses. The few shots taken with the 22mm lens look superb.

Also need to update the firmware to the latest version, which I'm surprised hadn't already been done.

Really liking my m and 22mm (it morphed into a Christmas present!) only really used it round the house but liking the results. Given I was expecting the af to be utterly useless I'm pleasantly surprised it's actually pretty good! Yeah it's not the quickest going from macro close to infinity but a lot of cameras are and in the real world how often do you do that? Switching between subjects at decent distance is pretty snappy and that is much more real world.

I've used mine for the first time on Christmas Eve - using the 22mm f2 lens. First impressions of image quality are good, but certainly found the focus a little frustrating. Its on the latest firmware, so no issues there, and great that I can fit any of my EF lenses to it. High ISO seemed reasonably good as well :)

At ISO6400 I was happy enough with this:

IMG_0615_zps6349a537.jpg

And under a couple of fluorescent tubes at midnight - this wasn't bad for ISO12800:

IMG_0589_zpsf5e2350a.jpg

Taking mine out today. I have the kit lens, the 22 and the adapter. If you guys were going to add one M lens to my system, which one would it be?

Taking mine out today. I have the kit lens, the 22 and the adapter. If you guys were going to add one M lens to my system, which one would it be?

It depends what you want to take, you've got almost exactly the same setup as me, the only difference is I've added the 11-22mm, but depends what other lenses you have that you could use with the adapter. I'm thinking about a used 70-200mm f4 (which I had then sold) instead of the 55-200mm STM lens that's just been released, as its a better lens, but unsure at the moment what to do.

Reckon a wide angle would suit nicely, but then again depends on what you normally shoot.

Reckon a wide angle would suit nicely, but then again depends on what you normally shoot.
This entirely, not that there are many m lenses to choose from! Personally the 22mm has only been off the camera to test the kit lens for about 5 minutes and I can't see that changing unless canon release a 35mm ish pancake.

Well, I love my little M at the moment but I'm having a devil of a time importing images via either the Canon import dialogue (Win7) or via Lightroom 5. As previously reported, the camera connects and the import starts. The images begin downloading, but once it gets around 20-30% of the way through the download, it freezes. It's very predictable/repeatable.

I've tried two camera bodies, two different USB leads, three different USB ports, three different SD cards and both Win7 and Lightroom software. The only reliable solution is to remove the SD card and manually download the images using a card reader. Which is a bit of a pain in the arse tbh. Clearly the issue resides with my PC? The weird thing is that my 5D3 works fine - no issues. Can anyone think of what might be causing this? Is the camera forcing the USB into some weird state after a certain period of time perhaps? It's doing my head in!!

Well, I love my little M at the moment but I'm having a devil of a time importing images via either the Canon import dialogue (Win7) or via Lightroom 5. As previously reported, the camera connects and the import starts. The images begin downloading, but once it gets around 20-30% of the way through the download, it freezes. It's very predictable/repeatable.

I've tried two camera bodies, two different USB leads, three different USB ports, three different SD cards and both Win7 and Lightroom software. The only reliable solution is to remove the SD card and manually download the images using a card reader. Which is a bit of a pain in the arse tbh. Clearly the issue resides with my PC? The weird thing is that my 5D3 works fine - no issues. Can anyone think of what might be causing this? Is the camera forcing the USB into some weird state after a certain period of time perhaps? It's doing my head in!!

Very strange, never had an issue like that, can't help on that unfortunately, hope it sorts itself out.

Very strange, never had an issue like that, can't help on that unfortunately, hope it sorts itself out.

No probs mate. I've just had a thought - I wonder if the camera low power time-out setting is somehow causing the camera to disconnect during the download? I'll check this next time...

No probs mate. I've just had a thought - I wonder if the camera low power time-out setting is somehow causing the camera to disconnect during the download? I'll check this next time...

Well, this didn't work. Neither did turning off the USB port power saving function in windows. Software is the next port of call...

Nice shot above Michael.

I'd just use a card reader! I've only ever plugged a sub lead into my DSLR's and my M to load picture styles and set the copyright info!

Yep, I think it's going to have to be the way forward from now on. The only annoyance is if you've got a tripod mount attached, as the card it in the battery bay, but it's no biggie.

Googling this there seems to be a lot of cases of this happening with canon cameras, not just the M.

Last edited:
Yep, I think it's going to have to be the way forward from now on. The only annoyance is if you've got a tripod mount attached, as the card it in the battery bay, but it's no biggie.

Googling this there seems to be a lot of cases of this happening with canon cameras, not just the M.

The other alternative is to use a wifi enabled SD Card and feed to an Android tablet or IPad for review or PC/Mac (laptop/MBP) for transfer.

I am hoping to finally get back out with my kit tomorrow as my knee is working loads better. So M + FlasAir card + IPad + spare batteries ready packed for a trip to the Forest of Dean and Ross on Wye... good weather booked.

Steve

Have you tried an App Charger utility installed to your PC ? Some older motherboards (cant vouch for new ones) had problems charging and recognising external Hard Drives and in particular, Apple products (iPhones etc) because they were not delivering enough Ooomph to the USB ports. This was the problem I had with one of my computers and after installing an App Charger utility the issues all cleared up. Worth a try.

I am hoping to finally get back out with my kit tomorrow as my knee is working loads better. So M + FlasAir card + IPad + spare batteries ready packed for a trip to the Forest of Dean and Ross on Wye... good weather booked.
Glad to hear that Steve :) Go easy on that knee. Looking forward to seeing some photos when you get back.

Last edited:
Have you tried an App Charger utility installed to your PC ? Some older motherboards (cant vouch for new ones) had problems charging and recognising external Hard Drives and in particular, Apple products (iPhones etc) because they were not delivering enough Ooomph to the USB ports. This was the problem I had with one of my computers and after installing an App Charger utility the issues all cleared up. Worth a try.

Interesting, I'll look into this. Thanks for the link. It's odd that my 5D works ok and not the M, but maybe the M is implemented in a different way?

Take it easy on that knee Steve and enjoy using the M.

Grrrrr blue skies outside and sun in the sky and I'm stuck at work with the M sat on the desk...... Anyone out with their M's today?! (Lucky so n so's!)

Took mine for a walk around Llandudno today, but didn't get any shots to write home about. Nice day though...

Grrrrr blue skies outside and sun in the sky and I'm stuck at work with the M sat on the desk...... Anyone out with their M's today?! (Lucky so n so's!)

I can feel your frustration. My planned day went wrong.

Got to Ross ln Wye and could not put any weight on my knee at all. Sadly it meant getting a bite to eat and home. Been back in the knee brace since.

Got a buyer for my EF-S 10-22 locally, so I will convert the cash into an EF-M 11-22. I will thimk about the 55-200 another day. The lower bag weight is the decider. I am going CSC. Canon M till 2016 but if Canon do not develop the M system ( 1 prime is not enough) I will see what next. Olympus perhaps but at this time I am sticking with the M.

Steve

I feel your pain (literally) ... I'm still in a cast for another fortnight, not been out with a camera for ruddy weeks.

I will try again tomorrow locally.

Steve

I got out for a few hours earlier. Went to Lizard Point but the sun was straight in my eyes and I couldn't see the screen on the M, then to Mullion Cove which was being renovated and had heavy machinery everywhere. Then I managed to fall off a wall a twist my ankle :rolleyes:

It was funny though watching my visiting Dad trying to capture a wave breaking on a rock in front of him, that broke 20 ft in the air, and getting soaked through.

No idea if my photo's came out okay as haven't looked yet. Nice day though.

Up early and watching the rain.... forecasg is for it to clear early afternoon. Both M bodies raring to go, all batteries charged. Car brimmed with Diesel......

Fridge check.....

Yes to all the necessary for both a full English and a full Irish (Black and White pudding in there)!

Hey ho.....

Hope all here have a good weekend

Steve

Back