Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I can feel your frustration. My planned day went wrong.

Got to Ross ln Wye and could not put any weight on my knee at all. Sadly it meant getting a bite to eat and home. Been back in the knee brace since.

I feel your pain (literally) ... I'm still in a cast for another fortnight, not been out with a camera for ruddy weeks.

That's bad news :( Hope you both have speedy recoveries!

How's it going ladies and gents. i haven't been on TP in a long long time and thought its time to get involved again. I've recently sold my 60D and downsized to buy the Argos EOS M. I also invested in the 22mm f2 lens which is great, and some filters (the Fotga fader ND for the 22mm for video and just ordered the Hoya ND400 for the 18-55 for long daylight exposures)

I have to say i'm really impressed with this little camera. I feel right at home coming from the 60D minus the flip out screen

How's it going ladies and gents. i haven't been on TP in a long long time and thought its time to get involved again. I've recently sold my 60D and downsized to buy the Argos EOS M. I also invested in the 22mm f2 lens which is great, and some filters (the Fotga fader ND for the 22mm for video and just ordered the Hoya ND400 for the 18-55 for long daylight exposures)

I have to say i'm really impressed with this little camera. I feel right at home coming from the 60D minus the flip out screen

Another M owner - welcome aboard! It really is a great camera and I've used mine + the 22mm lens for indoor shots for most of Christmas.

Filters are a good shout, and are something I haven't gotten around to buying yet (other than a UV filter that came with my 22mm). A decent 8 or 10 stop filter would be good for long exposures. I'll have to check out the ND400 you mentioned.

Welcome aboard!! The M and the 22 mm are a great combination! I love mine, just the size and portability of it.

Possibly the cheapest UK sourced 40mm pancake.

Works well on the M too. I take mine with my M kit around half the time. If I remember these EF lenses come out at the equivalent of 64mm equivalent on a crop sensor

Argos strikes again!

Edit

Was intrigued

This has appeared on Amazon and might interest owners of the White body.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LPJGR4S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_G1mQub08DH1GK

I have also highlighted how good the EF-S 55-250 STM is on the M body and this is the lowest price I have seen this advertised at £130 delivered! I got mine at £199 from Currys and thought I had done well! This seller (fulfilled by Amazon) also has a drop down for the Mk II version at £141 (USM metal mount NOT STM platic mount).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EP71ETU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zinQub03XVDBW

Steve

Last edited:

This lens is definitely on my shopping list for the M. At that price even DigitalRev and other grey importers are struggling to compete. I may try and pick up a second hand one though. They seem to be going for around the £70-75 mark.

I'm tempted by the 55-250, and at that price it's very hard to refuse. I'd have no use for it other than on the M, which puts me off a bit. But then if I went for an M mount lens I'd have the same problem! £130 odd quid is hard to refuse though.

So hope these rumours are close to correct. As I use the M as my only camera the lack of a tilting screen or EVF can be a problem in bright sun light for me. I think I would prefer an optional EVF that can be clicked onto the shoe when needed to keep the size of any possible M3 down. Also the 70d sensor would be great. The other thing I miss from DSLR's is tethering, but as the M2 can do this via WiFi I'm sure the M3 will be able to.

Also, 2 new primes? Please Canon, Please ;)

This lens is definitely on my shopping list for the M. At that price even DigitalRev and other grey importers are struggling to compete. I may try and pick up a second hand one though. They seem to be going for around the £70-75 mark.

I'm tempted by the 55-250, and at that price it's very hard to refuse. I'd have no use for it other than on the M, which puts me off a bit. But then if I went for an M mount lens I'd have the same problem! £130 odd quid is hard to refuse though.

I keep meaning to try the 40mm pancake on my M. The Missus has one and it's great on her little 100d.

As far as the 55-250 goes it works great on the M as others have said.

For the lower UK supplied price it's a steal with a warranty. I got mine off TP classifidd at around the £85-90 mark. Serves me very well when I use it on the M but only for specific shots. It sits nice on my 50D and 5 (35mm). Strangely I very rarely used it on my now sold 5D classic.

It is one of those rare beast lens I will keep as a utility lens.

As for the EF-S 55-250 STM I will keep this until a better zoom M comes along than the 55-200 which is a nice size but at a price I am not willing to pay. As I have a mark 1 55-250 I shall be selling that on for funds towards ghe M3. The 55-250 STM is the keeper for me.

Steve

Last edited:
So hope these rumours are close to correct. As I use the M as my only camera the lack of a tilting screen or EVF can be a problem in bright sun light for me. I think I would prefer an optional EVF that can be clicked onto the shoe when needed to keep the size of any possible M3 down. Also the 70d sensor would be great. The other thing I miss from DSLR's is tethering, but as the M2 can do this via WiFi I'm sure the M3 will be able to.

Also, 2 new primes? Please Canon, Please ;)

I keep meaning to try the 40mm pancake on my M. The Missus has one and it's great on her little 100d.

As far as the 55-250 goes it works great on the M as others have said.

An 85mm would be nice!

It would have to be a pretty special lens to beat the current 22mm ... I imagine it would also be a lot more expensive.

I agree - I love the 22. It's just that Amazon.com has had the 22 listed as "Old Model" for a few weeks now.

My guess is, because the 22 is quite slow to focus, they will bring out a faster version to be released at the same time as a M3. Obviously I'm speculating and hope this is not the case. A nice shiny M3 with an EVF option, either a 35 or a 50 fast prime (and the quality of the 22) and a 85 fast prime would keep me happy all year.

I have also highlighted how good the EF-S 55-250 STM is on the M body and this is the lowest price I have seen this advertised at £130 delivered! I got mine at £199 from Currys and thought I had done well! This seller (fulfilled by Amazon) also has a drop down for the Mk II version at £141 (USM metal mount NOT STM platic mount).

Steve

Be aware you won't qualify for the cashback from that seller (it has to be supplied by Amazon, not just fulfilled by them).

Get £25 Cashback from Canon When You Buy This Product
Purchase this product from 29 October, 2014 up to and including 21 January, 2015 and you'll be eligible to claim £25 cashback from Canon. This product must be bought from Amazon.co.uk and not a third party merchant on the Amazon platform--please check before adding to your basket.Learn more. Terms and conditions apply. If you have any queries relating to your claim please call the Canon Claim Hotline on 0800 044 3251.

Another M owner - welcome aboard! It really is a great camera and I've used mine + the 22mm lens for indoor shots for most of Christmas.

Filters are a good shout, and are something I haven't gotten around to buying yet (other than a UV filter that came with my 22mm). A decent 8 or 10 stop filter would be good for long exposures. I'll have to check out the ND400 you mentioned.

I had a play with a 10 stop (SRB) on the 22 a couple of days ago. I forgot to swap it over to manual at first and still had it set to bracket in AV mode, f6.4, ISO 100 with auto focus. To my amazement it auto focused with the 10 stop on. Even the bracketing worked.

It was quite bright to be fair.

I'm assuming the STM Version would focus quicker on the M - is that correct? Very tempted to pick one of those up for mine...

Be aware you won't qualify for the cashback from that seller (it has to be supplied by Amazon, not just fulfilled by them).

It would still be cheaper than buying one that would qualify for the cashback. At the moment I have afew Canon claims going through.

Got my 2 eldest grand kids a 1200D kit each via Tesco. They doubled the clubcard points value and I had £150 quids worth fso got £300 value. Kits were £289 (with the Mk 3 kit lens) so effectively one kit free, £20 Cashback on each from Canon, ordered online through Easyfundrsising so our local cricket club got a few quid..... Sadly Tesco did not list the EF-M 11-22......

Steve

Another Argos customer for a silver M with 18-55 kit lens here. I felt I was more likely to have this in my possession when out and about than my DSLR, (well, that was my excuse!). Now charged up, and ready to give it a go tomorrow.

Already eyeing the 22mm lens though.....

Happy New Year.

I agree - I love the 22. It's just that Amazon.com has had the 22 listed as "Old Model" for a few weeks now.

My guess is, because the 22 is quite slow to focus, they will bring out a faster version to be released at the same time as a M3. Obviously I'm speculating and hope this is not the case. A nice shiny M3 with an EVF option, either a 35 or a 50 fast prime (and the quality of the 22) and a 85 fast prime would keep me happy all year.
Don't think there is anything wrong with the af from a lens perspective the slowness is down to the camera body. I will be very disappointed if they just replace the 22mm rather than add some extras would like to see 30-35mm pancake to give the m a nice 50mm equivalent and a 15-17mm pancake for landscapes would see me happy throw in a compact 50mm to give an 85mm ish equivalent and I'd never need another lens!

Another Argos customer for a silver M with 18-55 kit lens here. I felt I was more likely to have this in my possession when out and about than my DSLR, (well, that was my excuse!). Now charged up, and ready to give it a go tomorrow.

Happy New Year.

For me the 22mm is essential I've had the kit lens on for about 5 test shots it is just too big the 22mm makes the camera feel much better if canon made a collapsible lens like the olympus one it would be ideal!

I had a play with a 10 stop (SRB) on the 22 a couple of days ago. I forgot to swap it over to manual at first and still had it set to bracket in AV mode, f6.4, ISO 100 with auto focus. To my amazement it auto focused with the 10 stop on. Even the bracketing worked.

It was quite bright to be fair.

Excellent! What are SRB like - I've never tried any of their filters. Might give one a go.

I'm assuming the STM Version would focus quicker on the M - is that correct? Very tempted to pick one of those up for mine...

It is quick to focus amd is quicker than my Mk 1.

I think I remarked earlier in the thread that the STM 55-250 was silent in use for AF during shooting video which I have done a bit of. You can hear the non-STM lens focus on the audio track when there is little other foreground sound when using judt the M. I don't have an external mic to test for same but am tempted to buy one.

All my STM lens are silent in use and also ideal when usinf PL filters as tbe front elements are fixed, so when set the filters don't move with AF functioning.

Steve

Excellent! What are SRB like - I've never tried any of their filters. Might give one a go.

I've only tried their 10 stops (on recommendation) but have found them very good. No colour cast.

The Missus has a few of their other ND filters and they seam spot on. I'm very tempted to get a few to fit my M lenses.

Happy New Year.
The 22mm is a well worth while purchase! Welcome to the world of the M :)

I have used an EOS M since near enough its release date. Bought it second hand for £350 as a whole kit including the EF adapter and have been using it continuously since them. Many different DSLR's but this one stayed. I'm not quite happy about all of its features, but that is always a personal opinion. For example, I do not like touch screens on a camera.

Acheles heel on it has been the lack of an optical viewfinder, but then again, it is very difficult to design one that fits and is practical. This is because you need one in sunlight where you cannot see the LCD but otherwise you don't need it. And you don't have a mirror so you cannot really frame your shot with any viewfinders.

I've used it with almost every vintage lens I could put my hands on, and I'm currently designing a unique lens to fit on it.

I only use the 18-55 EF-M for general shooting in the house or for reviews when I need something quick. I like that it autofocuses in video so I cannot just replace that with an EF lens.

I'm glad to see other people using this rather underrated camera (yes Canon was very late to introduce it to the market, and Sony just drenched the market with many many models that are you can now buy by the kilo, and I personally wish it just has focus peaking). How about updating the first post with the total number of people owning/using this? This will take some dedication on somebody's part lol.

The 22mm is a well worth while purchase! Welcome to the world of the M :)

Just ordered a 22mm - I shall be in trouble, but I'll deal with that later. Thanks for advice, and no, I won't blame anyone on here!

I have tried ML before, on a 550D. I installed it on somebody else's camera and the one thing I didn't like about it is the user interface. I'm sure they did the best they can. Some of the added features sound really fantastic when you read about it.

Two things I tried when on the 550D was focus stacking (you set the first point, the last point, the size of the step, and go), and the intervalometer which was a good addition since Canon only introduced in their latest bodies as of 2014.

Two features I've just read about which sound fantastic to have built into a camera of this caliber is Dual ISO and of course RAW video recording. It seems that you can record RAW video but without sound. I'm not a videographer so don't know how great that is, but when somebody talks about 14 stop dynamic range, my eyebrows go up. Dual ISO is similar to having built-in one-shot HDR by alternating two ISO sensitivities in one shot. The idea behind it is genius and reminds me of what Fuji did back in the day with their Super CCD sensor, except that was with hardware. I am yet to test that myself. Finding navigation and changing settings a very slow process so might take some getting used to. Remember I do not like touch screens and it seems this version is touch-dependant. I couldn't access some things with buttons alone. I wonder what would happen in sunlight where you cannot see the LCD.

The reason why I installed it on the M is focus stacking. I dunno. It does the job. I think the visual aid is a bit flakey. In general I think their GUI is weak but who am I to complain? I don't know what limitations they are working within.

Has anyone tried macro rings on the M?

The weather is lousy here at the moment and there's only so many pictures of the dog to take :)

I've wanted to try macro for a while so just ordered a couple of rings. Not expecting much but they should keep me occupied for a while.

I haven't tried extension tubes on the M (don't have any right now), but I see no reason why they wouldn't work.

One reason why I love the M is that it's still lighter when I put dozen extention tubes or other macro accessories on it, keeping the whole rig portable.

So yes, ask me any questions. What tubes are you using?

I just bought a set with a 10mm & 16mm in it (the ones with electrics in, wanted aperture control).

I don't really have any questions, just fancied trying something different from my usual landscapes. Might have a few questions once I have them ;)

I found a thread on a different forum where a guy was using a similar set on the M with pretty good results.

Back