Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Admittedly from Revised charges onwards was all today. I'd expect it to get to the local hub i.e. Edinburgh tomorrow and I'll phone and pay and get it Thursday or Friday.

Anyone try legacy manual focus lenses on your m's and m2/m3? I am a sucker for manual focus, started it all from with my Sony nex and now my a7r. Just bought a Voightlander 40mm 1.4 classic. Waiting for my helicon adapter and I'll be good to go.

The Voightlander is tiny and should look good on the m3. Not sure if there are any adapters out yet?

The Voightlander is tiny and should look good on the m3. Not sure if there are any adapters out yet?
There's plenty of third party mounts available.

I did a recent test run with a Canon FD mount 50mm 1.8 and a panagor 3x Tele/macro converter
View attachment 34482

and this one was with a panagor 400mm and 2X Extender (FD mount again)

View attachment 34483

Lots of fun, I hope to be increasing my old lens and adapter collection throughout the year :)

How long roughly did yours sit in customs and did you contact them to pay the fees or did they contact you? Just wondering whether to give Coventry Parcel Force a call tomorrow?

Just a day or two in customs. If you've ordered through Tenso they should have sent you a tracking number so you can see when it arrives in the UK. I was able to pay for mine at the depot (I went in the hopes of collecting it but they hadn't unloaded it off the truck yet!) Saved me having to wait for a letter for payment, and they delivered it to me as soon as possible (after the bank holiday).

Mine's gone from 'awaiting customs clearance' to 'waiting customs charging'. I wonder if calling them tomorrow and paying over the phone will speed things up?

Here the complete online tracking for mine:

PF_M3.JPG

It clears customs on the 2/4 at 11.55 and arrives at my local depot at 5.08 on the 3rd.

This was a bank holiday so I tried my luck and went to the depot on the Saturday at 8.00am. I was lucky I guess as the women was really helpful and said it's still in a cage, can you give us an hour? No problem ;)

I imagine if yours cleared customs yesterday it will be at your local depot today or tomorrow. You can then call them direct and pay the charges.

Anyone try legacy manual focus lenses on your m's and m2/m3? I am a sucker for manual focus, started it all from with my Sony nex and now my a7r. Just bought a Voightlander 40mm 1.4 classic. Waiting for my helicon adapter and I'll be good to go.

I used my kiron fd fit macro, which works quite well.

Got to have a play with my kiron 105 macro today, not perfect by any means, but results seem ok, using the befree may not be the best tripod for macro work, though it is useable. Ideally a better head would help. but it's a start.

coltsfoot by scilly puffin, on Flickr

coltsfoot #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

dogs mercury by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Wild Strawberry by scilly puffin, on Flickr

A couple of pics using the 10-20

conisborough castle view #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

conisborough castle #3 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

The M3 has focus peaking which should make using legacy lenses a lot easier than it is on the original M. Yet another reason to look at the M3...

Whats the guarantee status buying from amazon japan?

I'm really not sure on this. I've read several posts elsewhere but not a definitive answer.

I think its a case of if there's an issue when new it can be returned for a replacement/refund. Then a years guarantee as usual but it would go back to Canon in Japan.

As I said though, I'm not 100%. I just decided that with the saving it was worth a punt.

The M3 has focus peaking which should make using legacy lenses a lot easier than it is on the original M. Yet another reason to look at the M3...
It's a shame Canon are only now realising how important these features are when Sony have had them for the past 7 years. Sigh. Oh Canon :(

Tenso account created - how long would you say between ordering and receiving? Couple of weeks?

As long as the bits are in stock I'd say that's about right.
Mine was dispatched by Amazon Japan on the 25th March, I got it 4th April.

Just make sure you upload your ID to Tenso so as not to hold up your order (I almost forgot :()

Last edited:
As long as the bits are in stock I'd say that's about right.
Just make sure you upload your ID to Tenso so as not to hold up your order (I almost forgot :()
Did that straight away, and have had an email back to say all ok and verified!! Will look at ordering camera tonight.

ARRRGGGHHH the M3 is driving me crazy!! I'm sending it straight back to Amazon.jp!!!!

Nah not really... I'm loving it so far, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the colour of the text-based display (the one when you hit the info button - Display option 4).

On the M (and I assume all other EOS cameras) I could change this to be White, Green, something else or Red, but I can't find where to do this on the M3. I've only got the default white option and for some reason it's got me really disturbed. Anyone managed it?

It works! Had a quick run around the garden when I got back from work this evening...

Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Chalcid Wasp by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Entomobrya Intermedia by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Overall I'm very impressed. I think I can see better resolution (I wasn't expecting to) but I won't do any serious comparisons until abobe brings out support for the raw files. The main take home point though was that it is a joy to use! I could quickly and easily switch settings, and this will only become more natural as I adjust to the new setup, but what a difference the tilting screen makes! I can get compositions far easier than previously, even hunt out bugs under low overhangs without having to contort into various, painful positions. I think it's a bit of a game changer; I can't really see myself going back to a static screen now! Of course it still doesn't make the bugs stand still, but that's all part of the fun ;)

These are all just 16bit tiffs exported from DPP with quick edits in Lightroom (some slight crops)

Last edited:
It works! Had a quick run around the garden when I got back from work this evening...

These are all just 16bit tiffs exported from DPP with quick edits in Lightroom (some slight crops)

Very nice. I'm looking forward to trying my MP-E or 100L with extension tubes on the M3. I bet the EVF is also useful given that it tilts vertically (iirc).

Very nice. I'm looking forward to trying my MP-E or 100L with extension tubes on the M3. I bet the EVF is also useful given that it tilts vertically (iirc).
It would be, but it occupies the hot-shoe, and I can't quite figure out how I'm going to trigger my external flash without it yet. I might get an optical trigger for it (triggered by the pop up) but then I would lose ETTL. Alternatively I could figure out how to diffuse the pop up, but it won't be suitable for very high magnification work (the lens distance will be too large). Never mind, the tilting screen seems to be working for the time being. It would have been a nice feature if canon had offered external flash control with the pop up, but I understand I'm probably one of the few who would make use of it...

...but yes it does tilt so will be quite nice for natural light shots.

Last edited:
So Ive just paid the fees and mine will be delivered on Friday - Woohoo!!!

Breakdown was as follows

£327.78 Camera and EVF
£9.01 Non sterling transaction fee
£33.54 Shipping from Tenso
£83.17 VAT and handling fee

£453.50 Total. Bargain compared with UK pricing.

Nice one. I reckon I'm a day or so behind you so it'll be next week for me.

Wow, those are pretty impressive macro shots. I particularly like the first one with the metallic-blue body! Focus looks spot-on - does the focus peaking make it much easier than the M? Seriously considering getting shot of my Fuji XE1 and replacing with an M3 as I find the Fuji very frustrating for macro work.

Thanks Tim, one of those occasions where I would have loved having an M3 with its tilty screen. The Macro shots you have look really nice.
Thanks, yeah the tilty screen is turning out to be the big leap forward for the M. Maybe they'll add a full swivel screen to the M4 :)

Wow, those are pretty impressive macro shots. I particularly like the first one with the metallic-blue body! Focus looks spot-on - does the focus peaking make it much easier than the M? Seriously considering getting shot of my Fuji XE1 and replacing with an M3 as I find the Fuji very frustrating for macro work.
Thankyou! Yes the focus peaking does help. There is still a level of technique and skill required, as the slightest movement will obviously throw it off (and I got a fair few missed shots during this session) but I do think it helps a lot to visualise where the focus point is exactly.

Thanks, yeah the tilty screen is turning out to be the big leap forward for the M. Maybe they'll add a full swivel screen

Tim - fantastic shots. I don't know how you get such good depth of field without image stacking. I guess it's all in the technique! Any chance of a shot of your M3 macro setup? Very intrigued.

Tim - fantastic shots. I don't know how you get such good depth of field without image stacking. I guess it's all in the technique! Any chance of a shot of your M3 macro setup? Very intrigued.
Thanks, I guess it's just familiarity with the MP-E. I know f11-f13 gives me a good balance of DoF and detail at 1:1 and I need to open up as I go through higher mags up to about f7.1-F8 at 5:1.

Some quick snaps of the setup I used for these attached:

EOS M3 in tilty screen mode :) EF to EF-M adaptor > MP-E > DIY front mounting bracket (aluminium bar stuck to a step down ring on the filter thread) > 90ex > small, cheap soft box diffuser and cheap flash cable.

View attachment 34607View attachment 34608

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone here with the M3 has a Yongnou YN-560 TX or IV?
(I know, a long shot)

I want to get a couple of these but obviously not until I know they work with the M3.

The M3 utilises Canon ETTL II for flash compatibility which has been around on canon cameras for years so unless someone can say/knows otherwise I should think it would be a case of " If it works on other Canons it should work on this"

Back