Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Anyone have any thoughts on the tamron 18-200 m mount?

I was hoping to play with one of these back at the photography show, I had to settle trying a sony nex mount version. The build quality is excellent and I think it would go with the m bodies nicely. Just couldnt test it thoroughly as their test camera died while i was using it. I was told its the same optically as the sony fit version which is more expensive. Still not found many reviews on it.

I think I'm going to order the M3 with kit lens and EVF from the ebay seller in Japan. Even with custom charges it should be a pretty fair deal.
Then I'll decide if I like it enough to add more lenses and sell off some more of my dslr kit.

I think I'm going to order the M3 with kit lens and EVF from the ebay seller in Japan. Even with custom charges it should be a pretty fair deal.
Then I'll decide if I like it enough to add more lenses and sell off some more of my dslr kit.
Good choice :)

Bit of sunshine so just having quick run out with the m3. Gotta say the screen is so much more usable even in sunlight.

You have to love the new screen huh

I haven't had a chance to get out over the last week, busy as hell building a new website for my company :mad:

But, it's the Missus's 30th next week and her parents are down here for the week. Her Dad's a very keen (and very good annoyingly) photographer and we have a few days shooting planned out. Actually I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The few days out with cameras and away from work, or that my Missus won't be able to use her "I'm in my 20's, he's in his 40's" line anymore :)

You have to love the new screen huh

I haven't had a chance to get out over the last week, busy as hell building a new website for my company :mad:

But, it's the Missus's 30th next week and her parents are down here for the week. Her Dad's a very keen (and very good annoyingly) photographer and we have a few days shooting planned out. Actually I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The few days out with cameras and away from work, or that my Missus won't be able to use her "I'm in my 20's, he's in his 40's" line anymore :)

I am very impressed with the new screen, the only thing Canon needs to fix now is the battery life lol, school boy error this morning, heading out with a less than full battery, snapping away then getting the dreaded red flashing battery symbol!!

Surely thats a win win situation next week!! Hope Mrs Wissel has a good birthday!

I am very impressed with the new screen, the only thing Canon needs to fix now is the battery life lol, school boy error this morning, heading out with a less than full battery, snapping away then getting the dreaded red flashing battery symbol!!

The screen is a massive improvement. I always thought articulated screens were a waste of time but it's amazing how useful I'm finding it.

I've had another scout for 3rd party batteries today - nothing yet. Amazon have the cheapest branded batteries, but I'm not paying their price (£38) even if it means waiting a bit longer. Incidentally even Digital Rev are charging £42 for the LP-E17.

I cracked and upgraded to Lightroom 6 today. DPP was doing my head in. LR6 has crashed few times and totally trashed my LR5 catalogue, but fortunately I had a backup. However, the speed improvements are worth the upgrade alone, providing you have a good GFX card. Don't forget to upgrade your graphics card driver if you use the GPU processing otherwise you won't see the benefit ;) Phew, at least I can edit my M3 images easily now :)

I've had another scout for 3rd party batteries today - nothing yet. Amazon have the cheapest branded batteries, but I'm not paying their price (£38) even if it means waiting a bit longer. Incidentally even Digital Rev are charging £42 for the LP-E17.
I took the M3 out for a full day on Saturday. I filled a card and was shooting from about 11:30 to around 21:00 on a single battery. I switched to my M which I had brought as a backup after that, but I was really impressed by the battery life of the new one. Much, much better than the M and third party ones will probably last even longer. I must have shot around 600+ images, I was doing loads of long exposure, HDRs and was mainly using the EVF. I did have it set to Eco mode though, because I obviously wanted that battery to last as long as possible..

Oh I also took my new 11-22mm lens! Lots of fun :) I took a load of other lenses, but that one stayed on the camera and I eventually left the rest in the car for much of the afternoon. I got a step up ring for it as I had a 58mm CP for my original lenses. It worked well but the corners were dark at 11mm. Think I will invest in some 55mm filters, as I love the lens and can see it getting plenty of use ;)

Last edited:
I got some 55mm filters and then use step down rings for the other lenses.

What's this Eco mode you speak of Tim??
Have you had any issues with vignetting?

It's a battery saving mode, it basically switches of the lcd screen after a few seconds of non-use and maybe some other power-saving functions. You can toggle it on and off in one of the menus. I've added it to my custom menu.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...s_m3.aspx?type=faq&faqdetailid=tcm:14-1250118

Have you had any issues with vignetting?

It's a battery saving mode, it basically switches of the lcd screen after a few seconds of non-use and maybe some other power-saving functions. You can toggle it on and off in one of the menus. I've added it to my custom menu.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...s_m3.aspx?type=faq&faqdetailid=tcm:14-1250118

Cool! (scuttles off to dig out M3 and find Eco mode...)

Yeah, I get a little bit of vignetting, but nothing that can't be sorted out in PP.

Would any of you use a lee filter system for the M series (seven5) for landscape?
It's not something I'd investigated, but it looks up to the job. Think I might get a CP separately which I can keep on the lens without having to faff about with a big filter mount. Looks a quality setup though, guess it all just comes down to pricing...

Cool! (scuttles off to dig out M3 and find Eco mode...)

Yeah, I get a little bit of vignetting, but nothing that can't be sorted out in PP.
It might even be on by default. I remembered switching it off when I first got it...

Yeah I was stuggling to remove the effect in post, it was literally a triangle in each corner and was struggling to match the exposure with the usual vignetting options. Even tried small graduated filters but it didn't look right. I just cropped in slightly in the end so, for me, it's probably worth investing in an exact match filter.

Yeah I was stuggling to remove the effect in post, it was literally a triangle in each corner and was struggling to match the exposure with the usual vignetting options. Even tried small graduated filters but it didn't look right. I just cropped in slightly in the end so, for me, it's probably worth investing in an exact match filter.

Strange. Mines definitely not that bad. I'm only using fairly run of the mill Hoya filters. Could it be the step ring that is blocking the wide angle light?

Yeah I think that's the issue. It's only a slight bit, I didn't notice it until I came to process, and obviously only when at it's widest.

Would any of you use a lee filter system for the M series (seven5) for landscape?

I use the 67 x 85mm HiTech Firecrest filters (absolutely superb by the way) on my M kit.

The only very small issue is when using the 11-22mm lens at 11mm. You can't use the filter holder with both filter braces in place (although a single brace and the polariser ring is fine) without vignetting. It's fine from 14mm.

I get around this by having two holders. One that has the two braces and one with a brace and polariser ring.

I was going to go for the Lee Seven5 system by the way. It's worth reading up on the Firecrest filters first. Not only do they seem to get better reviews than the Lee but they also go up to 16 stops.

Marie, I have the full Lee set of seven5 filters apart from any specific adapter for the lens, I could lend you them for a play if you want?...on Raasay for another week or so and they are at our other house...let me know.

George

Marie, I have the full Lee set of seven5 filters apart from any specific adapter for the lens, I could lend you them for a play if you want?...on Raasay for another week or so and they are at our other house...let me know.

George

I'm still awaiting delivery of M3 from Japan George, but I'll contact you if I want to try them. Many thanks for the offer (y)

I am currently on holiday on the north Norfolk coast. So, after a lot of thought, I decided to bring only my EOS-M (original) and a couple of lenses, despite the fact I had plenty of room in the car, what a huge mistake. So far the weather has been very sunny and bright, making the M virtually impossible to use resulting in only taking a fraction of the photos I would normally take. Ho how I am missing my 7D, will not make that mistake again.:rolleyes:

I am currently on holiday on the north Norfolk coast. So, after a lot of thought, I decided to bring only my EOS-M (original) and a couple of lenses, despite the fact I had plenty of room in the car, what a huge mistake. So far the weather has been very sunny and bright, making the M virtually impossible to use resulting in only taking a fraction of the photos I would normally take. Ho how I am missing my 7D, will not make that mistake again.:rolleyes:
I feel your pain, my M got very little use in sunlight.

That's off putting (re the original M). I was thinking of getting one now they are so cheap (£199 from Argos with 18-55) as I wanted something small and light for my 7 week expedition in Sept. Maybe I'll take my 6d after all!

yep .. I took my EOS M last month to Italy .. it was so bright i could not use it .. for my luck I had the 5d with me as well .. I will still use my EOS M for long walks and hikes ..but not good for 2 much light and defo not good when there is not enough light as well ...

pGTaLT

Last edited:
I concur I struggled in spain with it. Luckily the evf on the new m3 will be my solution from now on but obviously it's more £££'s

That's off putting (re the original M). I was thinking of getting one now they are so cheap (£199 from Argos with 18-55) as I wanted something small and light for my 7 week expedition in Sept. Maybe I'll take my 6d after all!

I solved it by selling the M and buying a 100D, it's not much heavier.

I solved it by selling the M and buying a 100D, it's not much heavier.
Really don't fancy any of the xxxd series. One of the main attractions for me was the slimness and the 20mm pancake lens, and the fact it's quite incognito. TBH the 6d isn't that heavy, and I'm only planning on taking the 24-105, 35 f/2 and 14mm, but this would be more attractive to would be thieves! Also, I'll have a large bergen with me most of the time so don't really want to have to use a backpack style camera bag...

Last edited:
Really don't fancy any of the xxxd series. One of the main attractions for me was the slimness and the 20mm pancake lens, and the fact it's quite incognito. TBH the 6d isn't that heavy, and I'm only planning on taking the 24-105, 35 f/2 and 14mm, but this would be more attractive to would be thieves! Also, I'll have a large bergen with me most of the time so don't really want to have to use a backpack style camera bag...

The 100D and either the 24 or 40 pancake is pretty small, it fits into my jacket pockets, and only takes up slightly more space than the M in a messenger bag.

Considering you have a built in flash and OVF included that extra 100grams seems worthwhile (add the flash to the M and it's actually heavier).

Back