Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Just received my 11-22mm :)

Just in time for this at the weekend, and hoping to practice my landscapes through the Yorkshire Dales at the same time. My landscapes need A LOT of practice..

Took my M3 out on Saturday afternoon for a few hours. It was the first time I've been out in anger with it and I have to say I was very impressed. I think the little things are what impressed me the most; the tilting screen - so handy for the type of shots I take. The EVF - very handy when the light is bright and I'm glad it can be removed as the tilting screen is so good. The battery life - shot for 3 or so hours with the EVF on and the battery indicator didn't move. I'd have swapped batteries in that time with the old M. The controls - love having aperture/shutter control at my fingertips and the exposure comp is a boon too. The list goes on!...

Hoping the raw file update isn't exclusive to LR v6 otherwise I'll be very dis-chuffed!

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/04/adobe-lightroom-6-coming-this-week/

Last edited:
Just received my 11-22mm :)

Just in time for this at the weekend, and hoping to practice my landscapes through the Yorkshire Dales at the same time. My landscapes need A LOT of practice..

I'd love to be at that meet as well Tim, looks a lot of fun and something I've been meaning to give a go.

Bit of a trek from Cornwall though.

Hope you like your new lens, I love mine.

Good (and possibly bad) news! How about v5? Do they tend to add support like this to legacy versions? Could do without shelling out for v6 just for it to support the M3. I did that with my 5D3 not that long ago...

No idea I'm afraid. Having said that a few of the new features in LR6 might make you want to upgrade anyway.

You can now make a pano image that stays as a RAW file, so you can adjust the white balance etc after merging. Likewise with HDR. You can merge shots together before any editing and they are still a RAW file. This is a bit of a game changer IMO.

No idea I'm afraid. Having said that a few of the new features in LR6 might make you want to upgrade anyway.

You can now make a pano image that stays as a RAW file, so you can adjust the white balance etc after merging. Likewise with HDR. You can merge shots together before any editing and they are still a RAW file. This is a bit of a game changer IMO.

No worries, thanks. I've no doubt there will be some useful stuff in there. The RAW merging sounds great. I've spent heaps on my gear recently so another £100 on software will be a tough one to swallow. I upgraded last time so I tend to buy full versions every two releases, otherwise the install starts getting a bit messy! Or I lose the serial codes! I suppose I could get another upgrade this time...

No worries, thanks. I've no doubt there will be some useful stuff in there. The RAW merging sounds great. I've spent heaps on my gear recently so another £100 on software will be a tough one to swallow. I upgraded last time so I tend to buy full versions every two releases, otherwise the install starts getting a bit messy! Or I lose the serial codes! I suppose I could get another upgrade this time...

From the limited info I've read it looks like you may be better getting the creative cloud subscription for photographers.

It looks like they are releasing this as CC and as 6, but 6 will get no updates and it will be the end of stand alone purchasing. After 6 it will be CC only.

(I may have this wrong, only been scan reading, and drinking vodka)

If I have got this right I guess a lot of people are going to be mad as this is exactly what they said they wouldn't do.

From the limited info I've read it looks like you may be better getting the creative cloud subscription for photographers.

It looks like they are releasing this as CC and as 6, but 6 will get no updates and it will be the end of stand alone purchasing. After 6 it will be CC only.

(I may have this wrong, only been scan reading, and drinking vodka)

If I have got this right I guess a lot of people are going to be mad as this is exactly what they said they wouldn't do.

Hmmm, that's a real shame. I guess the CC is the better route. It depends on how much it is a month though. Maybe the upgrade would save me having to subscribe for a while, but then if the upgrade is £50 and the CC is £5 a month, then I might as well go down the CC route. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Is it available in the UK yet?

LRCC utilises graphics cards as well, sure I just saw this makes it much, much faster (think I saw 400% or something, guess that depends on the card)

Great for any of us that have gaming PC's :banana:

Nice!

Looks as though CC is £8.50 a month for both LR and Photoshop Essentials, which I also use. That's not bad VFM considering how often I upgrade normally. I wonder what happens if you stop paying?? Presumably there is a minimum contract of a year? Do you then get 'frozen' at that version? Hmmm...

Looks as though CC is £8.50 a month for both LR and Photoshop Essentials, which I also use. That's not bad VFM considering how often I upgrade normally. I wonder what happens if you stop paying?? Presumably there is a minimum contract of a year? Do you then get 'frozen' at that version? Hmmm...

I subscribe to the full CC for work (great because I then get LR for nothing effectively for pleasure)

You have to log in with a valid subscription once a month (from memory) to keep the software working. One advantage of CC is LRCC now supports Android phones and tablets, and you get to use them on these devices as well if a CC subscriber at no extra cost (IOS as well).

I wonder what happens if you stop paying?? Presumably there is a minimum contract of a year? Do you then get 'frozen' at that version? Hmmm...
After you stop subscribing you can't access the application (as I understand it) although it would take about a month to register. I still think it's a good deal if, like me, you use PS and don't get on with elements.. I just wish there was a more cost effective way of including Premiere in the bundle, although hopefully they'll add more movie editing features to PS with the next update.

Last edited:
I can only imagine this will push those who don't want the subscription model to either DXO or Capture One. It certainly would me if, in a couple of years, there was no direct LR upgrade path.

I can only imagine this will push those who don't want the subscription model to either DXO or Capture One. It certainly would me if, in a couple of years, there was no direct LR upgrade path.
Yep - I've been seriosuly considering C1 so if LR6 is the last standalone version I may as well skip it and go for C1 now.

Evening all, was going to pull the trigger on an M3 from Japan earlier then found out its out of stock at the moment!! So still waiting!!
Crikey, it's selling well then. Make sure you are still able to get the EVF with it (it was a special deal for the first 25000 orders). If not have a hunt around or wait a while for a deal to come out. I'm sure one will and the EVF is well worth getting.

Crikey, it's selling well then. Make sure you are still able to get the EVF with it (it was a special deal for the first 25000 orders). If not have a hunt around or wait a while for a deal to come out. I'm sure one will and the EVF is well worth getting.
Certainly does seem to be selling well. The EVF is a must for me! See Wex are doing a package with the EVF for £699. So a bit of a saving if buying from this country.

Well looks like my local LCE store has the M3 in stock!! Might be time to pop in and take a browse, well tomorrow lol.

Thats early ! What are they asking?
I'm really liking my M with the 3 lenses so waiting to see what happens with the M3 pricing.

Thats early ! What are they asking?
I'm really liking my M with the 3 lenses so waiting to see what happens with the M3 pricing.
£599 with the lens adapter thrown in as well. Have reserved it till tomorrow so can go and take a look..

Wex are advertising £699 with EVF and lens adapter.

Just had a quick look on Amazon and they're saying release is now end of May, when all along has been saying 30th Apr!

Question to all M3 owners, is the screen more usable in sunlight now it is able to tilt? Just thinking if I decided to go ahead without the EVF for time being..

£599 with the lens adapter thrown in as well. Have reserved it till tomorrow so can go and take a look..

Wex are advertising £699 with EVF and lens adapter.

Just had a quick look on Amazon and they're saying release is now end of May, when all along has been saying 30th Apr!

Question to all M3 owners, is the screen more usable in sunlight now it is able to tilt? Just thinking if I decided to go ahead without the EVF for time being..

Yes, for sure.

The tilting screen makes a HUGE difference. In fact you could easily do without the EVF by using your mobile tethered when in direct sunlight.

Morning, got my hands on an M3 yesterday, definitely feels more solid, am liking it so far, although the rain stopped any serious outdoor attempts with it last night!!

Quick question, (admittedly I haven't checked the manual yet), on the original M, there was multi zone focus point option, but don't seem to have that option on the M3, its all single point focus? Is there any way of getting the multi zone option, as used to be on the M, or have i missed the point of it (quite possible!!!).:whistle:

Morning, got my hands on an M3 yesterday, definitely feels more solid, am liking it so far, although the rain stopped any serious outdoor attempts with it last night!!

Quick question, (admittedly I haven't checked the manual yet), on the original M, there was multi zone focus point option, but don't seem to have that option on the M3, its all single point focus? Is there any way of getting the multi zone option, as used to be on the M, or have i missed the point of it (quite possible!!!).:whistle:

I've just had a flick through the manual and I can't see a multi-zone option. I hadn't noticed this missing before as tbh I've always used single point on any camera I've had.

Have you tried out things like focus peaking and the level yet? Glad you like your new toy :)

I've just had a flick through the manual and I can't see a multi-zone option. I hadn't noticed this missing before as tbh I've always used single point on any camera I've had.

Have you tried out things like focus peaking and the level yet? Glad you like your new toy :)
I've just had click through the manual online and couldnt see it either! Must have taken the feature away!
I've had a quick play with the focus peaking, very handy!
All I need is for the weather to clear up by the time I finish work so I can have a proper play with it outdoors!!

My next decision is whether to invest in the specific M lenses and get shot of all the "bigger" kit.
Anyone have any thoughts on how the ef-s STM lens' perform against the M equivalents??

I've just read through this thread with interest as I knew nothing about compact system cameras. I'm considering a big change to my set up of 5D3 and various lenses, and like the sound of the new M3 as I could potentially keep some lenses (to start with anyway). I'd likely keep the 5D3 as well until I decide if I'm switching completely.
It seems from reading on here that the EVF and lens adapter would be in my essentials list.
Which M lenses would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking landscape and also something with a bit of reach.
Thanks in advance.

I've just read through this thread with interest as I knew nothing about compact system cameras. I'm considering a big change to my set up of 5D3 and various lenses, and like the sound of the new M3 as I could potentially keep some lenses (to start with anyway). I'd likely keep the 5D3 as well until I decide if I'm switching completely.
It seems from reading on here that the EVF and lens adapter would be in my essentials list.
Which M lenses would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking landscape and also something with a bit of reach.
Thanks in advance.

There's only 4 native lenses for the M series Marie (at present), thankfully they are all very good.

The 11-22mm is incredible. It knocks spots off the bigger Canon 10-22 IMO (had that lens) and is better than the newer 10-18mm (Missus uses this lens).
The 22mm prime is as sharp as it could be, fantastic for the money.
The 55-200mm is also very good. I've compared it with my other half's 55-250STM and I think the M lens nudges it (although not as much reach).
Then the kit 18-55mm. Great little lens.

Another lens worth mentioning is the EF-S 40mm pancake. On the M adapter this lens seems to come to life (and I didn't think much of it at all on my 7D).

It's worth having a play with the series to see what you think. The build quality is probably something you'll appreciate as you have a 5D3.

There's only 4 native lenses for the M series Marie (at present), thankfully they are all very good.

The 11-22mm is incredible. It knocks spots off the bigger Canon 10-22 IMO (had that lens) and is better than the newer 10-18mm (Missus uses this lens).
The 22mm prime is as sharp as it could be, fantastic for the money.
The 55-200mm is also very good. I've compared it with my other half's 55-250STM and I think the M lens nudges it (although not as much reach).
Then the kit 18-55mm. Great little lens.

Another lens worth mentioning is the EF-S 40mm pancake. On the M adapter this lens seems to come to life (and I didn't think much of it at all on my 7D).

It's worth having a play with the series to see what you think. The build quality is probably something you'll appreciate as you have a 5D3.

Thanks David, that's the kind of info I was looking for.
I'll have a look around for some kit deals.

Back