Canon EOS M Series Cameras

The 100D and either the 24 or 40 pancake is pretty small, it fits into my jacket pockets, and only takes up slightly more space than the M in a messenger bag.

Considering you have a built in flash and OVF included that extra 100grams seems worthwhile (add the flash to the M and it's actually heavier).

True. But then my wide angle wouldn't be wide on the 100d. But then I would take a 14mm anyway if I took my 6d. And I could use my 10-22 (my only EFS lens) without an adaptor. Decisions!

Last edited:
Lol if I'm taking the 6d it negates the need for an M!
I don't know about that, the M + 22mm is very pocketable so when it comes to smaller, lighter and less in your face it wins. There are times when i'd want to dig in my back pack to break out the 6D though, best of both worlds :)

Last edited:
I don't know about that, the M + 22mm is very pocketable so when it comes to smaller, lighter and less in your face it wins. There are times when i'd want to dig in my back pack to break out the 6D though, best of both worlds :)
I agree, but I'm thinking of weight too, at some points I'll be trekking through rain forests and I might regret bringing too much :)

I agree, but I'm thinking of weight too, at some points I'll be trekking through rain forests and I might regret bringing too much :)
TBH I'd be a bit concerned about the humidity in rain forests, and the lack of weather sealing on the M. I'd have my doubts about the 6D for that matter though!

The 11-22 EF-M with the M is a great little wide-angle option though.

TBH I'd be a bit concerned about the humidity in rain forests, and the lack of weather sealing on the M. I'd have my doubts about the 6D for that matter though!

The 11-22 EF-M with the M is a great little wide-angle option though.
The 6d is weather sealed, should be fine with the 24-105 fitted, though humid conditions aren't good for any kit!

I solved it by selling the M and buying a 100D, it's not much heavier.

I agree with you Dave. Size wise, compared in the link below. The 100D would make a great alternative travel camera. However, I use manual lenses quite a lot, including FD and the M is perfect for that.
I think if I were to replace the M now, I would probably go for one of the Olympus cameras.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#448,351

Quick question, (admittedly I haven't checked the manual yet), on the original M, there was multi zone focus point option, but don't seem to have that option on the M3, its all single point focus? Is there any way of getting the multi zone option, as used to be on the M, or have i missed the point of it (quite possible!!!).:whistle:

I think that if you select the face tracking AF mode without selecting a face to track on the touch screen then the AF will default to multi zone AF. At least that was my experience earlier with the settings I have. I'm sure you've probably worked it out by now but I thought it was worth posting for the benefit of others...

Last edited:
Just been updated my M3 is in UK customs. That will be them making up the bill then!
Should have it in a few days hopefully, will report back my thoughts with tamron lens etc then.

I think that if you select the face tracking AF mode without selecting a face to track on the touch screen then the AF will default to multi zone AF. At least that was my experience earlier with the settings I have. I'm sure you've probably worked it out by now but I thought it was worth posting for the benefit of others...
Thanks @edster, I haven't actually tried that, but will give it a go and report back.

Thanks @edster, I haven't actually tried that, but will give it a go and report back.

No probs, I only really stumbled across it the other day whilst messing around with different AF modes.

I've decided to stick the AF mode function on the MF.n button for now so that I can easily switch between single point AF and face detection/multi zone AF.

Love that shot Tim. I would never have thought of doing that. it adds a great perspective on the shot.
Thanks Ed, yeah it worked out really well. Glad I had the Mrs with me though, might have been a struggle on my own. Think I need to invent some kind of giant selfie stick for future use ;)

No probs, I only really stumbled across it the other day whilst messing around with different AF modes.

I've decided to stick the AF mode function on the MF.n button for now so that I can easily switch between single point AF and face detection/multi zone AF.
That's a good idea, will take a look.

Have been out with my M3 again this morning, love using it, even in sunlight it's usable. Have just ordered the 11-22 wide angle, have debated for ages about whether to commit to the M system lens wise, and pretty much think I am going to. Have only heard good things about the 11-22 so roll on tomorrow so I can have a go. Seriously thinking of letting the 70D go now.

Have been out with my M3 again this morning, love using it, even in sunlight it's usable. Have just ordered the 11-22 wide angle, have debated for ages about whether to commit to the M system lens wise, and pretty much think I am going to. Have only heard good things about the 11-22 so roll on tomorrow so I can have a go. Seriously thinking of letting the 70D go now.

I sold my 60D after a few weeks using the M.
You wont be disappointed with the 11-22. Just a bit more bulky than the 22mm pancake but it's super lens.
I still have the original M and teetering on the edge of ordering the Ebay offer from Japan for body only & EVF for £439.

I sold my 60D after a few weeks using the M.
You wont be disappointed with the 11-22. Just a bit more bulky than the 22mm pancake but it's super lens.
I still have the original M and teetering on the edge of ordering the Ebay offer from Japan for body only & EVF for £439.

Totally agree with Alan. The 11-22mm is as sharp as a tack (at least mine is). Great lens.

I was out with the M3 over the weekend as well. In rain and sunshine! Love using it, it's fab. The only thing I prefer the M over the M3 is its size, but even that's marginal. The M3 is a joy to use though compared to the M.

Totally agree with Alan. The 11-22mm is as sharp as a tack (at least mine is). Great lens.

I was out with the M3 over the weekend as well. In rain and sunshine! Love using it, it's fab. The only thing I prefer the M over the M3 is its size, but even that's marginal. The M3 is a joy to use though compared to the M.

You're talking me into it! I think I will order the M3 and keep the M as a pocket camera.

You're talking me into it! I think I will order the M3 and keep the M as a pocket camera.

Lol! That's exactly what I ended up doing. In fact I'm now toying with buying another 22mm that will permanently live on the M body that I have.

Still waiting for my 11-22 m lens to be delivered. Bet if I was to pop to the shop it would soon turn up [emoji16]

Horay it's arrived [emoji3] I also ordered a lowepro streamline 250, everything seems to fit well, room for the iPad and a joby tripod as well. Definitely looks like the days for the 70d are limited now. Am now off out to give the lens a try. [emoji3]

You're going to love the 11-22 :)

Like that bag as well. Ideal for a small light kit.

My M3 is still awaiting customs clearance :mad:

Think mine took about a week from getting to UK then to my door if it helps.

I got out with the M3 at the weekend. Mainly bad weather but first thing Monday wasn't looking bad so we trundled off to the St Ives area of Cornwall.

I wanted to try a few different types of shots as a bit of a test to see what works and what doesn't. Here's a couple.

IMG_0889-Pano.jpg

Firstly I wanted to try out the new Panoramic feature in LRCC. This was 9 shots of Godvery Lighthouse stitched and I think it's done quite a good job?
I've taken the shots for a full pano about 270 degrees. It's 35 shots but haven't tried to stitch it yet (think I'll try this one on my work PC, much more powerful).

IMG_0864.jpg

Next one with a 16 stop filter. Apart from a slight ND grad on the sky this is pretty much how it came out of the camera. I'm looking forward to trying a lot more with this filter but it does take patience. A shot like the one above takes about 15 minutes in good light at ISO 100 and f11.

IMG_1037.jpg

And finally Lanyon Quoit. The weather was turning a little and had gotten a lot darker so I thought I'd try the shot with a couple of off camera flashes underneath the quoit. I've never tried using off camera before but I quite like the look. I think I'd like to return to this spot at night and try it with a few more flashes (won't mention this to the missus yet:rolleyes:)

Think mine took about a week from getting to UK then to my door if it helps.

I got out with the M3 at the weekend. Mainly bad weather but first thing Monday wasn't looking bad so we trundled off to the St Ives area of Cornwall.

I wanted to try a few different types of shots as a bit of a test to see what works and what doesn't. Here's a couple.

IMG_0889-Pano.jpg

Firstly I wanted to try out the new Panoramic feature in LRCC. This was 9 shots of Godvery Lighthouse stitched and I think it's done quite a good job?
I've taken the shots for a full pano about 270 degrees. It's 35 shots but haven't tried to stitch it yet (think I'll try this one on my work PC, much more powerful).

IMG_0864.jpg

Next one with a 16 stop filter. Apart from a slight ND grad on the sky this is pretty much how it came out of the camera. I'm looking forward to trying a lot more with this filter but it does take patience. A shot like the one above takes about 15 minutes in good light at ISO 100 and f11.

IMG_1037.jpg

And finally Lanyon Quoit. The weather was turning a little and had gotten a lot darker so I thought I'd try the shot with a couple of off camera flashes underneath the quoit. I've never tried using off camera before but I quite like the look. I think I'd like to return to this spot at night and try it with a few more flashes (won't mention this to the missus yet:rolleyes:)

Great stuff David, I love the variety of techniques you've displayed here. I really like that last one however, and agree you should return after dark! Did you use the 90ex to trigger the flash off camera? My only real gripe with the M3 is that I can't figure out a reliable way of triggering off camera flash whilst making use of the EVF! The only thing I can think of is to buy a third party optical trigger, but then you would lose ETTL or control of your remote flash. Oh well, you can't have everything I suppose...

One thing I do love about the M3 is it packs a load of detail on that sensor. I don't do much post sharpening at all now, even on raw files, and some times even have to reduce the clarity slightly for web postings. It's a brilliant little package for landscapes. I've treated my 11-22mm to some bling in the form of the official canon lens hood and I have a new slim-line CP at the correct size on the way. Next up will be some ND filters I think ;)

TBH I'm a bit disappointed Canon didn't throw in a panorama assistance tool into the mix too. It would have been easy enough (even just an overlay of previous shot option) and they already feature in certain other Canon models. As you've clearly demonstrated, it's a nice to have rather than a requirement though.

Great stuff David, I love the variety of techniques you've displayed here. I really like that last one however, and agree you should return after dark! Did you use the 90ex to trigger the flash off camera? My only real gripe with the M3 is that I can't figure out a reliable way of triggering off camera flash whilst making use of the EVF! The only thing I can think of is to buy a third party optical trigger, but then you would lose ETTL or control of your remote flash. Oh well, you can't have everything I suppose...

One thing I do love about the M3 is it packs a load of detail on that sensor. I don't do much post sharpening at all now, even on raw files, and some times even have to reduce the clarity slightly for web postings. It's a brilliant little package for landscapes. I've treated my 11-22mm to some bling in the form of the official canon lens hood and I have a new slim-line CP at the correct size on the way. Next up will be some ND filters I think ;)

TBH I'm a bit disappointed Canon didn't throw in a panorama assistance tool into the mix too. It would have been easy enough (even just an overlay of previous shot option) and they already feature in certain other Canon models. As you've clearly demonstrated, it's a nice to have rather than a requirement though.

Thanks Tim :)

It was fun to try something different for a change.

With regard to the flashes I used 2 x Yongnou 560 iv and the tx trigger. It was just a cheap manual set-up (about £120 from memory) as I'd read about issues using non-Canon ETTL flashes on the M3. Besides, I don't need ETTL for what I want to do with them. The trigger can fire up to 6 flashes at once. I have 2 now, how long do you think it will be before a few more turn up :D

Agree about the detail the M3 gives - just a great little camera (so happy I bought it, as it seems all of us in this thread who have are).

Does the hood on the 11-22 make much difference? I have the hoods for the 18-55 and 55-200 but wasn't sure if the wide angle would make good use of it?

Last edited:
Does the hood on the 11-22 make much difference? I have the hoods for the 18-55 and 55-200 but wasn't sure if the wide angle would make good use of it?
I haven't really had chance to compare yet. There is a significant lack of sun at the moment and I only received it at the end of last week.

Rest assured, I'll let you know if I find a situation where it is a definite advantage. I do make frequent use of lens hoods, although I must confess I bought this one more for the looks ;)

Still waiting for my M3 to arrive, but I've just bought the tamron 18-200mm m mount lens to go with it.

My EOS M3 arrived today and I now find the Tamron 18-200 I had with the older EOS M will not focus on my EOS M3 .

Back