Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I've now got an original 'M' and the 'M2' so hopefully got all bases covered!
I've set the M up as a video rig and so far it seems to be really good although I haven't tried it fully yet, just tests at home. I'll use the M2 with M lenses and my Canon EF lenses with adaptor and give it a proper test outside.
It's nice to have so many options without spending a fortune and I've still got my DSLR kit for the more serious shots.
All the help in reaching this point was very much appreciated so thank you to everyone who helped me here :)

I've got one, and found it quite useful at times, mainly for enabling me to see the LCD under bright conditions, but also for adding a bit of stability. The only drawback I found was it would steam up with prolonged use (kinda like swimming goggles) and especially in bright conditions :) Still it's worthwhile having in your kit bag for certain occasions, and is cheap enough.

Last edited:
Can someone help me please - I've just got Magic Lantern installed on my SD card to use on my M for video but how do I access the features? I've installed it via the firmware update and done what I was instructed to do but don't know what to do now, confused! (n)

Can someone help me please - I've just got Magic Lantern installed on my SD card to use on my M for video but how do I access the features? I've installed it via the firmware update and done what I was instructed to do but don't know what to do now, confused! (n)
Two fingers on the touch screen.

Touch the screen with two fingers

Thank you, simple eh! Feel a mug now but appreciate you guys helping me out here.
I think the M is unique for Magic Lantern in this functionality. On other cameras I used it on it was always the "delete" button to launch the menu. Think it had me flummoxed for a while the first time I installed in the M...

I think the M is unique for Magic Lantern in this functionality. On other cameras I used it on it was always the "delete" button to launch the menu. Think it had me flummoxed for a while the first time I installed in the M...
Nice to know I'm not alone then! I should have gone to you tube myself but didn't think of that either. Must be one of those days!

Anybody using the M3 ?
Worth upgrade from the original M?

Build and handling looks better

• How is the AF ?
  • anybody using the viewfinder?
  • Is it anygood?
Thanks in advance

Martin

Anybody using the M3 ?

• How is the AF ?
  • Is it anygood?
Thanks in advance

Martin

Answers in order: yes, yes, better than the M, yes, yes :)

I think it's much nicer to use than the original M (which I still have but no longer use) - the grip is much better, the tilt screen is a great help, and the EVF is one of the best I've seen. It's still hamstrung by lack of lenses though, and EF lenses on the mount adapter are still a poor compromise - they're much slower to focus than native EF-M lenses in my experience which makes them painful to use.

Answers in order: yes, yes, better than the M, yes, yes :)

I think it's much nicer to use than the original M (which I still have but no longer use) - the grip is much better, the tilt screen is a great help, and the EVF is one of the best I've seen. It's still hamstrung by lack of lenses though, and EF lenses on the mount adapter are still a poor compromise - they're much slower to focus than native EF-M lenses in my experience which makes them painful to use.

Yes it is a shame they haven't expanded the lens range more, hopefully that will come in time.
Using the adapter, I find the EF-S STM lenses just as quick on my original M as the EF-M lenses, in fact they are quicker to focus on the M than on my DSLR in liveview mode (600D). Those with ultrasonic motors though are considerably slower.

I am kinda tempted I must admit, it is a reasonable form actor, but 99% of the time I just use my DSLR.

I love the 22 prime though and its a great combination for street.

Simply have it in stock for 334 kinda cheap. They don't sell the evf though and that looks expensive..

Anybody using the M3 ?

• How is the AF ?
  • Is it anygood?
Thanks in advance

Martin

I have both M M3 the m3 is way better & vf is a must, you may get a better deal if you get the full M3 kit.

I have both M M3 the m3 is way better & vf is a must, you may get a better deal if you get the full M3 kit.

I ordered the body + kit lens for 334 which was the best I could find. I doubt I will ever use the long lens, but the evf would be useful I must admit but couldn't find one better than about 180...

Oh and the full m3 link you posted was for badges for BMW :)

I ordered the body + kit lens for 334 which was the best I could find. I doubt I will ever use the long lens, but the evf would be useful I must admit but couldn't find one better than about 180...

Oh and the full m3 link you posted was for badges for BMW :)

Odd cos I didn't do a link, must be some sort of spam.

Can anyone recommend a decent wrist strap for the M? Canon original are in excess of £20, which I think is OTT.

Can anyone recommend a decent wrist strap for the M? Canon original are in excess of £20, which I think is OTT.

I use a quick release neoprene one from Op-tech which I'm very happy with. About half the price of the Canon one if I remember rightly.

Seems quiet on the lens front, the 15-45mm launched with the M10 is starting to appear as a separate item now, but that's about it.
Frustratingly so, a couple more pancake primes or a much smaller power zoom type lens would be great!

I also really want a hybrid af sensor in an eos m2 size body the m3 just went the other way size wise which for me was a mistake!

Is there an option to allow my M3's 55-200 lens to convert to 600mm
Erm... you mean like a 3x teleconverter? In M Mount? Doubt it.

You could try something like one of these, to get it to 400mm. Not sure what IQ will be like.

I picked up a old FD mount panagor 400mm prime and have used a 2x tele with adaptor for 800mm on my M for not too much cost and bulk. Image quality isn't great with the teleconverter and there are some CA issues with the lens, but for the price I'm happy with it. I wouldn't call it pocket-able though and is manual focus only of course.

I maybe slightly thinking aloud but I seem to think there was a mention of mountable lens that was xxx times zoom when screwed onto your lens & also can mount in reverse as well, done a search on here but no luck, I should have included this in my above post to say:- (im sure it looked like conventional lens style.)

Only thing that I can think of is the ones that Tim linked to that screw on the front of the lens. They can be had cheaper though, here is one tats under a tenner on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professio...386875?hash=item5426cf843b:g:1BwAAOSwKIpWBMBj

Not tried the telephoto version, but have got a wide angle one, which does come in useful and the quality is surprisingly good as a close up lens. Does go a bit soft at the edges though when used on shorter focal lengths.

Not much between the M and M10 from what I can see. Main differences are flip out screen, built in flash and better autofocus(?) on the M10.

Not much between the M and M10 from what I can see. Main differences are flip out screen, built in flash and better autofocus(?) on the M10.
The EOS m10has no hot shoe whish is a killer for me, under the hood it is very similar to the m2 so if the m10 is in consideration then definitely think about an m2 on import.

I can see how the lack of hot shoe is a big issue for many but I would still like to have a play with one and see how the AF performs. As it happens I have just boxed up an old camera to send in to WEX in part exchange against an M3 so hope to get that in about a week. As a fan of the original M I am looking forward to trying it out and see how much it has improved.

I have a Duracell battery for my M. Seems to have a similar shot capacity as the original.

Back