Canon EOS M Series Cameras

So very tempted....... the 22mm is still a first choice but the 28mm is a big draw too. It could be great for macro (naturally) but also for discrete close in portrait using the LED lights rather than the 90/270EX speedlight with any light temp issues sorted in LR/PS?

I seem to be moving back to the use of 'prime before zoom' lenses on my main DSLR kit (14/24/28/35/40/50/60/85/135/200mm) which mirrors my 35mm film setup.

I cannot remember last time I actually used the M kit and 55-200 lenses. I hope that Canon are contemplating expanding more into M prime territory.

Steve

Does anyone know when the macro will be shipping? (UK). I guess it can't be far off if stores are taking pre-orders? Bristol cameras also have it on there site...

Does anyone know when the macro will be shipping? (UK). I guess it can't be far off if stores are taking pre-orders? Bristol cameras also have it on there site...
Noticed that. Thought I saw it on WEX too but on mobile internet at mo so not going to waste Mbs

I think I will want one but it will be on my long list on 'wants'....

Well WEX are showing a price of £294 for the EF-M 28mm Macro Lite

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-m-28mm-f3-5-macro-is-stm-lens/p1598461

They are waiting for stock.

Not an outrageous price when seen alongside the 11-22.

I have my trusty 50D and BG-E2N sitting on a shelf back home which I have kept tucked away 'just in case'. I thknk letting that go might take a reasonable bite out of the cost....

I have to say my EOS M kit is getting more use that the 70D/750D during my Ireland trip. That will change on 17/7 as I have modified my plans to take in the air show at the Flying Boat museum at Foynes on the Shannon River. (M with 22mm pancake will be in my jacket though!).

How muvh interest will the 28mm generate do others think?

Well WEX are showing a price of £294 for the EF-M 28mm Macro Lite

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-m-28mm-f3-5-macro-is-stm-lens/p1598461

They are waiting for stock.

Not an outrageous price when seen alongside the 11-22.

I have my trusty 50D and BG-E2N sitting on a shelf back home which I have kept tucked away 'just in case'. I thknk letting that go might take a reasonable bite out of the cost....

I have to say my EOS M kit is getting more use that the 70D/750D during my Ireland trip. That will change on 17/7 as I have modified my plans to take in the air show at the Flying Boat museum at Foynes on the Shannon River. (M with 22mm pancake will be in my jacket though!).

How muvh interest will the 28mm generate do others think?
I've seen some examples of images taken with it and it seems decent enough quality, even using the ring light. It's a 45mm equivalent so good all round focal length. I do wonder how many people would go for it above the 22mm though. The IS will be welcome and may help to make up the F stop difference. The thing I like about this lens is it gives you lots of options, especially if you are on your travels. It can do "street", it can do portraits, it can do Landscape, and it can also do the little details you might spot. You can even throw a little light on the subject if needed. It' a perfect lens for product shots (if you are selling stuff on ebay).

I would buy one, but with my range of current macros and already owning the 22mm (and 11-22) I'm not sure what else it brings to the table for me. There are a few other lenses I would like before this one, though they are much more expensive. I can wait. I may pick up a second hand one at some point or grab one if I come across a decent deal. I think it will be a good seller in general though and certainly offers a lot of bang for your buck.

I've seen some examples of images taken with it and it seems decent enough quality, even using the ring light. It's a 45mm equivalent so good all round focal length. I do wonder how many people would go for it above the 22mm though. The IS will be welcome and may help to make up the F stop difference. The thing I like about this lens is it gives you lots of options, especially if you are on your travels. It can do "street", it can do portraits, it can do Landscape, and it can also do the little details you might spot. You can even throw a little light on the subject if needed. It' a perfect lens for product shots (if you are selling stuff on ebay).

I would buy one, but with my range of current macros and already owning the 22mm (and 11-22) I'm not sure what else it brings to the table for me. There are a few other lenses I would like before this one, though they are much more expensive. I can wait. I may pick up a second hand one at some point or grab one if I come across a decent deal. I think it will be a good seller in general though and certainly offers a lot of bang for your buck.
I fell asleep before your post but woke and cannot settle.

Agree with your points.

The macro facility is a make or break for me, that said my walk about M lens is the 22mm! I have the kit telephoto and the 55-200. The 22mm is first without a doubt. I picked up an EF-S 11-18mm cheap so that has kept me away from the M 11-22. Final M bag member is the EF 40mm pancake. My quandary is - where would the 28mm sit realistically for me? It comes down to the macro and built in light.

If, and it's a big if, Canon released a 22mm Mk 2 WITH IS and a slightly brighter F/1.8 aperture, then the 28mm would struggle. As it stands the 22mm is a truly special lens.

My gut feeling is - the 28 will not be an impulse buy for me. I can get an EOS M10 with the 15-45mm lens for less. But after I try it.... weeelll we shall see .

I wuld love to see a 1.4x or 2x converter for the 11-22 and kit lems. too.

EDIT

I meant a 1.4x or 2x converter for the EF-M 55-200 not the 11-22!

Last edited:
Picked up an M10 and 22mm yesterday for our family holiday next week as the D750 seemed overkill, my god it's small (which is exactly what I wanted), hard to believe it has the important bits from a DSLR inside until you see the output.

Really looking forward to trying it out properly, I'm going to be leaving it in Aperture priority wide open and just firing away so not worried about the complete lack of external controls (to be fair the touch screen seems excellent anyhow).

I'm just back from 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies. I took the M3 and 1DIV. I only used the 1DIV for wildlife. Everything else was shot on the M3.

It's convinced me it is time to upgrade/change the 1DIV because the amount of shadow detail from the newer sensor is much improved.

Must be all of a year ago got my M3 with hundreds of pictures taken, very pleased, be out tomorrow to try & capture Red Kits that's been seen recently nearby.
What lens are you planning on using for Kites? I see them fly over my house from time to time but I've yet to get one. I'm thinking I need at least 400mm.

Hope you get some good results to share :)

What lens are you planning on using for Kites? I see them fly over my house from time to time but I've yet to get one. I'm thinking I need at least 400mm.

Hope you get some good results to share :)
I'll be taking my M200 & ef300 lenses but for focusing speed I think my 200 lens be best as Kites often fly low & then if need be crop the image to increase focal, if I have success I'll upload some pics & let ya know if I had to crop.

I'll be taking my M200 & ef300 lenses but for focusing speed I think my 200 lens be best as Kites often fly low & then if need be crop the image to increase focal, if I have success I'll upload some pics & let ya know if I had to crop.
Yeah hopefully on open ground they'll swoop lower. Good luck!

Hello fellow M owners, i managed to pick up a cheap original M over the weekend, i'm going to give it to my budding photographer videographer granddaughter.

Need some help though, i want a neck strap for it but as you know the M has different lugs on it, i refuse to buy Canons own extortionately expensive ones, so does anyone know any cheaper alternatives?

Maybe someone has one they don't use, or somewhere i can just buy the lugs, and make my own neck strap?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello fellow M owners, i managed to pick up a cheap original M over the weekend, i'm going to give it to my budding photographer videographer granddaughter.

Need some help though, i want a neck strap for it but as you know the M has different lugs on it, i refuse to buy Canons own extortionately expensive ones, so does anyone know any cheaper alternatives?

Maybe someone has one they don't use, or somewhere i can just buy the lugs, and make my own neck strap?

Thanks
Someone on DPReview found these and says they are a good fit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002824RDE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the thread:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3535063

Had a play with the 28mm macro yesterday, its a cracking little lens, the macro light appears to work well withe switch controlling brightness and weather 1 or 2 lights are to be used. It af's nicely on an m10 and better, well a bit faster on an m3 even down to macro AF works well.
Did you decide to buy?

Thanks Tim i've ordered that now.

Yeah hopefully on open ground they'll swoop lower. Good luck!
Very windy Sunday so only see the once, however did get some nice scenic shots whilst walking along the river, have to wait another fortnight now.

Camera strap arrived today and the attachments fit the M's lugs perfectly :)

If anyone ever buys one make sure you get the SUPER PRO A type, the SUPER PRO B is bigger and doesn't fit.

Thanks
Agree on the M strap.

I went for a BlaK Rapid Metro which I got on the Bay for £24.95 new. It just woorks for me and still balances with non EF-M lenses (eg EF 70-200mm on v rare occassions).

My other half bought the 28mm macro yesterday and we went out yesterday evening to try it out. Holy crap it's awesome. She's a beginner using an original EOS M, and is still very much learning the basics, but she got some pretty decent results in quite a short space of time. The little LED rings on the front of the lens make such a difference when you're super close to the subject. Well worth the money I reckon

My other half bought the 28mm macro yesterday and we went out yesterday evening to try it out. Holy crap it's awesome. She's a beginner using an original EOS M, and is still very much learning the basics, but she got some pretty decent results in quite a short space of time. The little LED rings on the front of the lens make such a difference when you're super close to the subject. Well worth the money I reckon
Still ruminating on thie 28mm.......

Will wait till I get to try it out. Till then it's the 22mm f/2 and ef-s 24mm with 13mm tube for macro.

Steve

The 22mm rarely if ever comes off my eos m I do wish canon would release a 17mm and 50mm with similar quality and size!

The m5 rumour mill is hotting up seems like we will definitely be getting an 80d style sensor so should expect much better af and image quality. I'm a bit concerned about the rumours of a shift to Fuji style retro bodies as the one thing I think canon have got spot on is the form factor! Give me an original eos m body with and 80d sensor and a pop up flash and I'd be very happy!

And a built in evf :)

Something like this with an ef-M mount....

God I hope not I'm so over all this retro stilling nonsense I love the form factor of the original m I just want a tiny camera with tiny compact primes and the sensor out of the 80d I can happily live without an evf if it keeps the body small and clean lined!

God I hope not I'm so over all this retro stilling nonsense I love the form factor of the original m I just want a tiny camera with tiny compact primes and the sensor out of the 80d I can happily live without an evf if it keeps the body small and clean lined!

I do like my original M too, the build quality is awesome, if they brought that back and made it as quick as a panasonic for focus and taking pics I would be happy and could probably live without the evf,

I do like my original M too, the build quality is awesome, if they brought that back and made it as quick as a panasonic for focus and taking pics I would be happy and could probably live without the evf,

It does need the dials of the M3 though. That was the major selling point for me!

It does need the dials of the M3 though. That was the major selling point for me!

Can't decide if the slight increase in size is worth it built in flash is tempting as well!

I just don't want retro styling for the sake of retro styling leave that to Fuji and make something modern and easy like the m range has been to date!

I'm definitely with you on that one. A camera should reflect the times, not hark back to the past with rose tinted spectacles. Those original models which the "retro" cameras are emulating are only cool now because they were contemporary for the time they were built. The original M proved you can have a modern design with sturdy materials. It will be a retro classic in years to come!

Just seen this on canonwatch with regards to design. I see it says there are 2 mirrorless cameras to be launched?Wonder how much truth there is in that.... As for retro designs I do like them, my favourite being the fuji xt2, but at the end of the day if its comfortable to use and works incredibly well, I'm not really that bothered what it looks like. :)

If it's true it looks too big to me. Seems to be almost DSLR size. One of the big plus points for thexample m and m3 is the size. This would reduce that benefit. Looks more like the size of the 100d to me

No way are those sketches the real thing canon would kill the m line dead with that body! The one thing they have had right from the start is the form factor keep it apsc and as small as possible then give us small lenses!

Back