Canon EOS M Series Cameras

AFAIK there is only a single third party that has managed to crack the encoding on the M3 battery, and only partially for now. It doesn't report remaining capacity properly you need to use the third party charger:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57139391

To my mind you are better getting the canon battery, even though it is extortionate...

Last edited:
thanks for the replies about batteries will see how I go using eco mode and buy a spare if needed... initial impressions of the M3 are good. It is clearly well built and feels great in the hand I also really like the flip out screen. my only real concern is that I might want to replace another M with a second M3 before too long. I have been usng my M with the Canon MPE65 macro recently and found that the focus peaking on the M3 makes using this lens a good deal easier. Here are a coupe of my first shots with the camera.

25670167844_dc2b88d958_o.jpg

25672248673_0fe9a54617_o.jpg

thanks for the replies about batteries will see how I go using eco mode and buy a spare if needed... initial impressions of the M3 are good. It is clearly well built and feels great in the hand I also really like the flip out screen. my only real concern is that I might want to replace another M with a second M3 before too long. I have been usng my M with the Canon MPE65 macro recently and found that the focus peaking on the M3 makes using this lens a good deal easier. Here are a coupe of my first shots with the camera.
Awesome pictures, just a shame lens is not affordable for me at the moment.

AFAIK there is only a single third party that has managed to crack the encoding on the M3 battery, and only partially for now. It doesn't report remaining capacity properly you need to use the third party charger:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57139391

To my mind you are better getting the canon battery, even though it is extortionate...

There are a few 3rd party manufacturers now. The LP-E17 is also used in the EOS 750D/760. Amazon list 4 non-OEM maked

As mentioned the basic code is now cracked but, as already mentioned above, the non-OEM battery state does not display on the menu screen. (I have bought 2 OEM E17s for my 750D).

I still use my EOS M with Duracell batteries.

Last edited:
They sound useful, my m isn't getting used atm. As much as I like the camera I really want it to be so much faster in everything it does,
2 new mirrorless bodies coming autumn 2016/spring 2017. One, the M4, the aps-c successor to the M3. The other, a prosumer full frame mirrorless body... mind you, they've been rumouring that one since 2014 ;p

What are you picking up when you head out atm if the M is getting left behind?

There are a number of new M lenses to accompany a new M body rumoured for later this year:

Canon EF-M 16-80mm F2-6 (new kit option perhaps?)
Canon EF-M 9-18mm F3.5-4.5
50-30mm F4.5-5.6 DO

Anything of interest so far? Personally I'm looking out for some nice long focal primes, but it's interesting to see DO technology coming to the M.

Be interesting to see what actually goes into production, the number of patents being filed could never all be put into production.
I agree that a few more primes would be more welcome, this is one area where the EF-M range is certainly lacking.

Dont think they have appeared on this thread yet, so some might have missed them. Samyang/Rokinon have introduced a couple of new primes in M mount, a 21mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.2. Both manual focus/aperture, so I guess they will have a limited appeal though.

Be interesting to see what actually goes into production, the number of patents being filed could never all be put into production.
I agree that a few more primes would be more welcome, this is one area where the EF-M range is certainly lacking.

Dont think they have appeared on this thread yet, so some might have missed them. Samyang/Rokinon have introduced a couple of new primes in M mount, a 21mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.2. Both manual focus/aperture, so I guess they will have a limited appeal though.
I don't think those new primes interest me too much. The 21 is probably too similar to Canon's 22, and I don't think I have much use for the wider aperture. Might be a nice starscape lens though, but I think I would go for one of their wider primes first. I have Canon's F1.4 50mm and it only gets brought out on special occasions (a bit like the best China). I find 50mm a bit of a funny focal length on a crop sensor. Good for portraits but a bit too long for indoors (I'm always fighting for space) and a bit short for outside use. Still it's good Samyang are continuing to provide options for M users.

I don't think those new primes interest me too much. The 21 is probably too similar to Canon's 22, and I don't think I have much use for the wider aperture. Might be a nice starscape lens though, but I think I would go for one of their wider primes first. I have Canon's F1.4 50mm and it only gets brought out on special occasions (a bit like the best China). I find 50mm a bit of a funny focal length on a crop sensor. Good for portraits but a bit too long for indoors (I'm always fighting for space) and a bit short for outside use. Still it's good Samyang are continuing to provide options for M users.

Agree completely, just thought I would flag them up as they hadn't been mentioned.
Only real benefit with these two is if you want the manual aperture ring or focusing. Only time I use a 50mm is with extention tubes or at night when manual can be more accurate than fly by wire focusing. For that I have an ancient 50mm left over from the days of film :)

Agree completely, just thought I would flag them up as they hadn't been mentioned.
Only real benefit with these two is if you want the manual aperture ring or focusing. Only time I use a 50mm is with extention tubes or at night when manual can be more accurate than fly by wire focusing. For that I have an ancient 50mm left over from the days of film :)
Indeed, good point about the focussing. I did try the EF-M 22 on some stars one clear night over in the Lakes and I did struggle with the focussing, even with manual. Knowing where infinity on the lens was, even if I had to turn it back a little, would have been much easier.

It's definitely a bargain, and you can make it even more so by sticking Magic Lantern on it...

Thanks! I'm still not sure whether I need magic lantern, I want a nice simple video set up.. for now. So shooting in raw isn't a big deal, nor focus peaking. All great things, so eventually I may do it. I do like the audio level monitors though.

Thanks! I'm still not sure whether I need magic lantern, I want a nice simple video set up.. for now. So shooting in raw isn't a big deal, nor focus peaking. All great things, so eventually I may do it. I do like the audio level monitors though.
Yeah it's a bit of overkill for my requirements too, but I do use a few of the features. In fact I'm considering getting another M body rather than any later versions (I have the M3 also) purely because I can put ML on it.. I can't recall if ML works with the M2, but if so, I'll probably get one of those.

Yeah it's a bit of overkill for my requirements too, but I do use a few of the features. In fact I'm considering getting another M body rather than any later versions (I have the M3 also) purely because I can put ML on it.. I can't recall if ML works with the M2, but if so, I'll probably get one of those.
Just sticking my nose in.... I have just picked up another M (body only) from WEX which I wanted for ML use for an up coming trip.

I ordered it via phone and was after a Red body but the guy mentioned they also had a used black EOS M body available, graded 9+ at £89 incl battery and charger. 12 month warranty.

I bought the red body.

Bargain price for what is a mirrorless 650D.

(Cheapest M2 body I have seen was via the bay (£130) from Japan).

I have bought 4 Ms now! My grand kids keep talking me out of them so my original red and black kits get good use so I will stick with the white and red (easy on the eyes to find in my bag)!

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah saw that earlier. What a weird lens! Not quite wide enough for wide-angle macro, really short working distance for the usual subjects. Hmmm... Weird!

Yeah saw that earlier. What a weird lens! Not quite wide enough for wide-angle macro, really short working distance for the usual subjects. Hmmm... Weird!
Agreed but...... strangely compelling. I have used a friend's M 15-45 and I found I was mainly using it around the 30mm mark. I also stick the EF-S 60mm macro on the M regularly but it teds to be for head/shoulder shots not macro. A 28mm prime macro may prove a better walkabout than the 22mm pancake (which is a super lens) and lighter than even the EF40mm pancake. The f/3.5 max aperture could be a deal breaker if, like me, you use the f/2.8 40mm Pancake.

A splurge of new dedicated M lenses may fit with a rise in CSC purchases to lift Canon out of the fug which is keeping me away from the M3 (aside from the impact the price of the EVF has had on me upgrading to a camera I truly wanted to love). Perhaps Canon will build a range (led by an M4) to take on Fuji and Sony?

The M set is still my first choice 'travel' kit and I nearly went for the M10 and 15-45mm kit over the recent bank holiday weekend, when the M10/15-45mm combination kit was down to £289.00 - pricing the body at around £50 when the lens was showing on some sites at around £240!

Cat amongst the pigeon time (again) here!

Steve

Agreed but...... strangely compelling. I have used a friend's M 15-45 and I found I was mainly using it around the 30mm mark. I also stick the EF-S 60mm macro on the M regularly but it teds to be for head/shoulder shots not macro. A 28mm prime macro may prove a better walkabout than the 22mm pancake (which is a super lens) and lighter than even the EF40mm pancake. The f/3.5 max aperture could be a deal breaker if, like me, you use the f/2.8 40mm Pancake.

A splurge of new dedicated M lenses may fit with a rise in CSC purchases to lift Canon out of the fug which is keeping me away from the M3 (aside from the impact the price of the EVF has had on me upgrading to a camera I truly wanted to love). Perhaps Canon will build a range (led by an M4) to take on Fuji and Sony?

The M set is still my first choice 'travel' kit and I nearly went for the M10 and 15-45mm kit over the recent bank holiday weekend, when the M10/15-45mm combination kit was down to £289.00 - pricing the body at around £50 when the lens was showing on some sites at around £240!

Cat amongst the pigeon time (again) here!

Steve
It's also rumoured to have an embedded light (I'm assuming some kind of LED) and can only guess this is to allow for the really short working distances (the pop up flash or ex90 would likely get obscured by the lens. But this does suggest to me that the primary purpose of this lens is for macro; probably not for the real enthusiasts who I'm sure would prefer to have more control of their lighting. I am intrigued though and I'm sure it will be a sharp little animal, despite it's slightly high F stop value.

That M10 sounded like a good deal. If they had paired that lens with an M2 I might have gone for it :p

It's also rumoured to have an embedded light (I'm assuming some kind of LED) and can only guess this is to allow for the really short working distances (the pop up flash or ex90 would likely get obscured by the lens. But this does suggest to me that the primary purpose of this lens is for macro; probably not for the real enthusiasts who I'm sure would prefer to have more control of their lighting. I am intrigued though and I'm sure it will be a sharp little animal, despite it's slightly high F stop value.

That M10 sounded like a good deal. If they had paired that lens with an M2 I might have gone for it :p
I do a bit of macro with a cheap Meike LED ringflash (£8 off Gumtree brand new) but an embedded LED would worrt me. Expensive lens with a diode that could die at any time. Canon managed a few disasterous products with dodgy parts (EF-S 17-85 as an example) so will be interesting to see. The 15-45 is nice and a big temptation.

Like the 50-200 and 11-18 - they were not enough to tempt me to part with my cash but an interesting couple of new lens might bring back the 'love'.

Steve

"letting you change the lighting intensity and direction on one or both sides of the Macro Lite"

Well I suppose that's a good thing, although I'm assuming it is a constant light source (not letting you freeze action as much as with flash). Gah... I've been asking for a tiny macro lens for the M for years now, and now they offer one I can't decide if it's going to be any use or not!!

"letting you change the lighting intensity and direction on one or both sides of the Macro Lite"

Well I suppose that's a good thing, although I'm assuming it is a constant light source (not letting you freeze action as much as with flash). Gah... I've been asking for a tiny macro lens for the M for years now, and now they offer one I can't decide if it's going to be any use or not!!
But you don't have to use the light - you could use a flash instead, or even as well! Sounds like rather a nice idea to me.

Strange.... I actually find myself intrigued and interested in the macro-lite.

Price is not ridiculous and the IS will have it's strengths. Like tbe other EF-M lenses permanent. I will be looking at this one.

I think Canon's investment in the concept could be the first of a few more.

S

Weird choice of lens to add to the existing choice if it had to be a macro surely a more conventional focal length would have been a better option? A 50mm for example would have probably made a better macro lens and doubled up nicely as a portrait lens?

Wonder if this will be the start of a larger m lens role out or another Faldo dawn!

Weird choice of lens to add to the existing choice if it had to be a macro surely a more conventional focal length would have been a better option? A 50mm for example would have probably made a better macro lens and doubled up nicely as a portrait lens?

Wonder if this will be the start of a larger m lens role out or another Faldo dawn!

There are a few rumours floating around about a 35mm f1.8 coming soon aswell, but not confirmed yet.

But you don't have to use the light - you could use a flash instead, or even as well! Sounds like rather a nice idea to me.

Yeah but then it's only role would be as a focussing light, and at such small magnifications isn't really needed. I do wonder if the light would still work if you stuck it on some extension tubes though...
Edit: although the focus point might move to being internal to the lens!

Looks like a very neat idea, hopefully it wont draw too much power from the battery being as it's LED.
Should work well for static subjects, though wont be powerful enough for the bug hunters, I wouldn't think.

OK OK, I finally figured it out. It's a Macro VIDEO lens! Now that light makes much more sense and I'm back on board the Canon-Wagon :p

View: https://youtu.be/denM0ZvuMZw

Another item for my wishlist :) Like you say, not much use to bug hunters unless you want to make a wildlife documentary... which I do!

Last edited:
Yeah but then it's only role would be as a focussing light, and at such small magnifications isn't really needed. I do wonder if the light would still work if you stuck it on some extension tubes though...
Edit: although the focus point might move to being internal to the lens!

OK OK, I finally figured it out. It's a Macro VIDEO lens! Now that light makes much more sense and I'm back on board the Canon-Wagon :p

View: https://youtu.be/denM0ZvuMZw

Another item for my wishlist :) Like you say, not much use to bug hunters unless you want to make a wildlife documentary... which I do!

Ah, now that makes sense indeed.
Quite inspirational in fact, never considered macro video. Might have to dig out my Meike ring light and see if that will do the job until the price comes down a bit on the new lens. Not something I can imagine me doing a lot of, but I know how addictive this stuff can be ;)

Ah, now that makes sense indeed.
Quite inspirational in fact, never considered macro video. Might have to dig out my Meike ring light and see if that will do the job until the price comes down a bit on the new lens. Not something I can imagine me doing a lot of, but I know how addictive this stuff can be ;)
Actually, I was slightly off the mark. Although a Macro video lens is a great selling point for this lens (and the reason I now want one) the main target marget for this lens is the mass of people who like to shoot food, coins, watches or things they want to sell on ebay.

This video demonstrates Canon's strategy for this lens:
View: https://youtu.be/8v5gS7J1ohM

Well played Canon, well played...

I got one today!

An EOS M with the EF adapter.

Not tried it out yet, not sure whether to ML it.. But I'm looking to maybe getting that new 28mm Macro..!

Actually, I was slightly off the mark. Although a Macro video lens is a great selling point for this lens (and the reason I now want one) the main target marget for this lens is the mass of people who like to shoot food, coins, watches or things they want to sell on ebay.

This video demonstrates Canon's strategy for this lens:
View: https://youtu.be/8v5gS7J1ohM

Well played Canon, well played...
I am hooked....... line and sinker....

Was looking at the OM10 with the 15-45 mm zoom set. Clifton Cameras have the set (no flah or adapter) at £289. The 15-45 lens list on CPB at £229 so it could be argued that the 'kit' prices the bod at £60 for18MP, hybrid sensor, folding screen, DIGIC 6, WiFi and NFC....

I have used my M with the EF-S 60MM Macro with a Meike ringflash to photograph parts of my stamp collection. The macro-lite 28mm may give better results. Also my delayed Irish trip starts soon and I am thinkig of doing a variation on the "100 Strangers" project outline. Mine will be "1 Stranger 100 Regulars" with me as the stranger, visiting 100+ pubs to get portraits of fellow drinkers! The macro-light may let me use the M (M10) rather than the 90EX (or 270EX) in a bar. Discrete etc?

Twitching to spend..... maybe?

Steve

Back