Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Apart from a 3 week holiday when I owned a 100-400mm L I've never owned anything longer than my 70-210mm f4 and the fact I'm happy to live with it's sluggish scaler tux focus motor tells you how often I use it! My 5d generally has a 35mm or 50mm prime on it with the 85 getting used occasionally.

Replicate that with fast(ish) pancakes and I'll by the lot chuck in a 24mm equivalent (could be f4 for all I care) and I'd be sorted for 99% of stuff I shoot.

Sounds good

Agree with your choice

I wouldn't mind an 8mm fisheye but Samyang do one with an M mount!

An 85mm definitely!

Perhaps something to natch the old 35 mm film 135mm at around f/2

Still would like something with reach.

Steve

I'm sure I read a rumour somewhere about a 22-42 (or somewhere around that). If this gets released and it's the quality that the 11-22 is then I'd definitely buy it. The kit lens is good but after being spoilt with the 22 and seeing how good the M can perform with good glass I'd like a little more reach.

Like the rest of you though, I'd really like a few more primes. Something around 10 or 12mm, around a 35, a 50 and a 85 would be about perfect for me. I've never really used longer lenses so not so bothered about them. Besides, for the odd time I might want one I'm happy to use the adapter and the missus's EF-S lenses. Actually, who am I trying to kid. If a 70-400 is released and it's the build quality of the small lenses I'll probably buy it :rolleyes:

On a different note, I bought a new tripod yesterday. I'd already bought a small travel tripod from 7dayshop, along with a Manfrotto ball head which was okay but the plate getting in the way of the battery cover was annoying the hell out of me.

I was only really looking for a head with a smaller plate but tried a Benro IT15 and IT25. The IT25 was only a little heavier, still came with a carry bag but was much more sturdy. The plate on the head was also much bigger but not very wide and slides from side to side. It fits my little M beautifully and doesn't interfere with the battery compartment at all. It also makes a nice grip point when not on the tripod. This thing is really sturdy for a light weight tripod. I mean it's Manfrotto 190 sturdy. If anyone wants a pic showing the plate on the M just let me know and I'll post it. It also doubles as a monopod which I guess may be useful at some point.

I'm sure I read a rumour somewhere about a 22-42 (or somewhere around that). If this gets released and it's the quality that the 11-22 is then I'd definitely buy it. The kit lens is good but after being spoilt with the 22 and seeing how good the M can perform with good glass I'd like a little more reach.

Like the rest of you though, I'd really like a few more primes. Something around 10 or 12mm, around a 35, a 50 and a 85 would be about perfect for me. I've never really used longer lenses so not so bothered about them. Besides, for the odd time I might want one I'm happy to use the adapter and the missus's EF-S lenses. Actually, who am I trying to kid. If a 70-400 is released and it's the build quality of the small lenses I'll probably buy it :rolleyes:

On a different note, I bought a new tripod yesterday. I'd already bought a small travel tripod from 7dayshop, along with a Manfrotto ball head which was okay but the plate getting in the way of the battery cover was annoying the hell out of me.

I was only really looking for a head with a smaller plate but tried a Benro IT15 and IT25. The IT25 was only a little heavier, still came with a carry bag but was much more sturdy. The plate on the head was also much bigger but not very wide and slides from side to side. It fits my little M beautifully and doesn't interfere with the battery compartment at all. It also makes a nice grip point when not on the tripod. This thing is really sturdy for a light weight tripod. I mean it's Manfrotto 190 sturdy. If anyone wants a pic showing the plate on the M just let me know and I'll post it. It also doubles as a monopod which I guess may be useful at some point.

I had been looking at the IT25 but have too manyvtripods.

The Benro tempts me due to it's weiggt and folded size. Would fit snugly on the tripod straps on my bag.....

Hmmmm .... It seems perfect for the M...

Steve

Tripod mounted, the EOS-M is fine with a long telephoto, it's a bit like a spotting scope set up. Acquiring the target is not as instinctive as it is with a hand-held or monopod supported DSLR, where I feel much more connected with the camera. So there are situations where the EOS-M could be used to advantage and others where the DSLR will rule.

As for tripods: For lightweight travel, I have a Redged TSA-322K with their RNB-0n ball-head. It fits inside my Lowepro Hatchback a treat.
It's possible to mount the QR plate without impinging on the battery/card flap too (just tried it :) ).

I use to have a 10-22 EFS for my 60D, I loved this lens as it offered flexibility, I felt having a bit of adjustment allowed me to easily see and capture a great picture.

Is there a lens for the M that someone could recommend based on my experience with the 10-22.

With regards to tripods I have a red snapper tucked away in the garage that I plan to take out one night over Christmas to do some light trails with my M and 18-55 kit lens.

I use to have a 10-22 EFS for my 60D, I loved this lens as it offered flexibility, I felt having a bit of adjustment allowed me to easily see and capture a great picture.

Is there a lens for the M that someone could recommend based on my experience with the 10-22.

With regards to tripods I have a red snapper tucked away in the garage that I plan to take out one night over Christmas to do some light trails with my M and 18-55 kit lens.

I used to have the Canon 10-22 as well - great lens.

A lot of people say how good the 11-22mm EF-M lens is. Can't comment yet myself as it's sitting under the Christmas tree and I'm not allowed to touch it :arghh:

Canon have released the EF-M 11-22 which was designed for the M. Some on the thread have it and are impressed. I bid for one on EBay over the weekend but it went for £260 and I bid £250.

Camera Price Buster have it listrd at £315 from Bristol Cameras. Chinese EBayers atound £250+

I find my EF-S 10-22 works very well on the M but, as you will know, it's a heavy lens. I have the EF-S 10-18 as well, which is lighter and smaller (more platic 67mm flter not 77mm as per 10-22. That works very well on the M too.

I am hankering for the M 11-22 but I am limiting my budget till I sell one of the 2 EF-S UWA lenses I have.

Cannot comment on other UWA lenses (Sigma etc)

Steve

Last edited:
I have a Sigma 10-20mm and that works very well on the EOS-M, but for sure it's a handful of lens alright on such a small body.

Canon have released the EF-M 11-22 which was designed for the M. Some on the thread have it and are impressed. I bid for one on EBay over the weekend but it went for £260 and I bid £250.

Camera Price Buster have it listrd at £315 from Bristol Cameras. Chinese EBayers atound £250+

I find my EF-S 10-22 works very well on the M but, as you will know, it's a heavy lens. I have the EF-S 10-18 as well, which is lighter and smaller (more platic 67mm flter not 77mm as per 10-22. That works very well on the M too.

I am hankering for the M 11-22 but I am limiting my budget till I sell one lf the 2 EF-S UWA lenses I have.

Cannot comment on other UWA lenses (Sigma etc)

Steve

Very tempting to get the 11-22, will try wait until feb and see what my pay packet looks like before making a decision.

Very tempting to get the 11-22, will try wait until feb and see what my pay packet looks like before making a decision.
Have currently got the 10-18.. Can see the benefits of the 11-22, just that little bit longer on the long end, could make a massive difference for me. Going to give it some thought over Xmas!

I am hankering for the M 11-22 but I am limiting my budget till I sell one lf the 2 EF-S UWA lenses I have.

Thats's What I did, after I got the M 11-22 I sold the adaptor and other lenses, which gave me the chance to buy the M-55-200.
Quite pleased with the full set now, but looking forward to a viewfinder on the M3 if and when it appears!

Amazon have the 11-22 efm for 299.99 order within 69 hours for Saturday delivery!

Amazon have the 11-22 efm for 299.99 order within 69 hours for Saturday delivery!

Arrrrrggggghhhhh

Get thee behind me Satan

69 hours..... temptation

Now must think about whether I sell the 10-22 or 10-18.....

Steve

The general or Southampton in general lol [emoji1]
Well both strictly speaking, but the Southampton General Hospital in particular. Not been back since, but if I did I'd be sure to get a good photo of it with my EOS-M (phew, back on topic!) :D

Last edited:
Well both strictly speaking, but the Southampton General Hospital in particular. Not been back since, but if I did I'd be sure to get a good photo of it with my EOS-M (phew, back on topic!) :D

A few years back I did an environmental review on the General pre new build.

Used my full EOS 300D kit for the picturss of the areas we were advising on.

It was pre EOS M being available but the M with kit lens and the 22mm would have been great for that commission as it would have been for Solent Sound airfield review.

Steve

Last edited:
Had a play with my 200mm 2.8 on my M earlier, to try and help me make my mind up about what to do with it.

fungi by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Still not sure.

Nice shot Nice lens

I would struggle with such a choice.

Steve

Last edited:
Nice shot Nice lens

I would striggle with such a choice.

Steve

Thanks Steve, the main problem is its af is bust, if the M had focus peaking, that would help. Don't know weather to sell it "cheap" and save money for something more flexible, a sigma 50-150 f2.8 for example which seem to come up second hand at really good prices, or just keep it.

I'll be sure to take my M and 22mm lens the next time I'm passing by there!!

Arrrrrggggghhhhh

Get thee behind me Satan

69 hours..... temptation

Now must think about whether I sell the 10-22 or 10-18.....

Steve
I'm still within the window that I can return the 10-18.. The 10-22 is tempting for the bit of extra length.. Choices choices..

Thanks Steve, the main problem is its af is bust, if the M had focus peaking, that would help. Don't know weather to sell it "cheap" and save money for something more flexible, a sigma 50-150 f2.8 for example which seem to come up second hand at really good prices, or just keep it.

Two thoughts/choices for ypu

1. Take the money and buy the Sigma

2. Keep it.

For me I am loathe to sell good lenses on. In the case of my buying the M 11-22 I may be tempted to sell on my EF-S 10-22 to fund the purchase. A big decision as I really love that lump but I am 99% sure I will sell on all the DSLR kit I have excet the STM lenses and the 40mm pancake and 60mm macro.

Hard choice but there is a tug on you for the Sigma.

Not the end of the world whatever you choose!

Steve

Focus peaking works fine on my M via ML, and is a blessing when using legacy lenses.

It's super easy to install, just run it on your card and done, i've had it on mine since i got the M a few months back, with no issues at all, there are a few youtube videos showing how to do it.

It's well worth trying, if only for the focus peaking.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about using the canon 70-200mm f4 for the M instead of the 55-200mm STM as an option

Nice shots. I'm yet to try my 70-300L, but it looks as though it could work quite well. The 50 f1.4 works well too for portraits.

Has anyone used the 40mm pancake STM (I think Steve may have mentioned it earlier in the thread). I'd be interested to know what the IQ is like on that lens.

Nice shots. I'm yet to try my 70-300L, but it looks as though it could work quite well. The 50 f1.4 works well too for portraits.

Has anyone used the 40mm pancake STM (I think Steve may have mentioned it earlier in the thread). I'd be interested to know what the IQ is like on that lens.

Yes

I use the 40mm pancake quite often.

It really suits the M although needing the adapter. I used it mainly during my European trip as the main prime after the 22mm. After dropping a d breaking my nifty fifty it was my number 2 lens.

It may not suit every occassion but af f/2.8 it was great in churcbes and public buildings. Good for close in portraits.

Still s lightweight choice.

Steve

Yes

I use the 40mm pancake quite often.

It really suits the M although needing the adapter. I used it mainly during my European trip as the main prime after the 22mm. After dropping a d breaking my nifty fifty it was my number 2 lens.

It may not suit every occassion but af f/2.8 it was great in churcbes and public buildings. Good for close in portraits.

Still s lightweight choice.

Steve

Excellent. Given its relatively low cost, it could be next on my list of purchases.

I'm still tempted by either canon or the Tamron 200mm zooms though.

Back