Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Anyone manage to get some M time today? I didn't take mine to work so didn't get any shots.

Was way too windy for me to go wanderibg but I went out with youngest son and the weather eased. Blue sky with black cloudx and nice light ... no camera.

Tomorrow.......

Steve

I've just been out snapping on the M

only managed to get some very average photos though

Doing star trails is a pain on the m with there being no remote release socket. I have attempted touch shutter to start and end on bulb mode, left for an hour and all I get is a complete white picture. Shorter ones for just a few minutes seem to work, but not full blown proper trails, need to try it in a proper dark site incase its being influenced by other things.

Doing star trails is a pain on the m with there being no remote release socket. I have attempted touch shutter to start and end on bulb mode, left for an hour and all I get is a complete white picture. Shorter ones for just a few minutes seem to work, but not full blown proper trails, need to try it in a proper dark site incase its being influenced by other things.
Have you tried Magic Lantern on your M? I believe it has a intervalometer built into it, which would allow multiple shots that could then be stacked. That's the theory anyway! Not sure how good it is in practice.

I made a video on YouTube about a remote

It still doesn't help when it comes to an intervelometer but it beats touching the camera

Great help!

I have the RC-6 but did not realise that you could just switch on bulb mode and leave it till you are ready to shut it off. There's me thinking I had read the full manual for the M!

Many thanks Igor.

Steve

Nice one!! Now shopping for the remote!! Cheers for sharing.

Shop around!

Seems to run at around £12 (Bristol Cameras) to £20 (Argos). Median is around £14.99. Assuming p&p is extra.

Steve

Might give it ago, I'm more worried about screwing the camera up,
I installed it a couple of times of different Canon cameras and seems ok!!

Cheers for the links for the Canon remotes, have found one on Amazon that I'm going to try £6. Will report back when I receive it. :)

I bought my remote off eBay for £4.99. It's genuine Canon and can be collected from Argos click and collect. Works perfect on my M and 7D. :)

That's a bargain, thanks for the link. Bought one!

Last edited:
+1 for the eBay purchase!! Cancelled my Amazon one, and have gone for the eBay one!! Savings of £1 all add up ;)

Ordered 2 for my sister and niece via link.

Just tested my RC-6 for bulb setting... no problem.

Another good day!

Steve

It sometimes works from behind but it is IR and the IR receiver is on the front

It sometimes works from behind but it is IR and the IR receiver is on the front
I thought that's what I read somewhere. Ideal for a selfie then!!
Will have a play around with it when I get mine!!

Question for you Steve, does the remote work from behind the camera?

As Igor advises it actually depends where you are.

I have used my RC-6 outdoors and if you have a wall or other surface near the front of the camera kt will "bounce" and fire the shutter. You can stand off to the side as sell. Quite tight on UWA lens. All doable or use Yongnuo 603c as wireless release. I need to have another go with them and try with the 622C e-ttl triggers I have. I don't know if the 602c trigger will work but I believe it should.

The RC-6 is great but with the IR receiver on the front of the M it's a compromise but workable. Selfie perfection.

Last edited:
As Igor advises it actually depends where you are.

I have used my RC-6 outdoors and if you have a wall or other surface near the front of the camera kt will "bounce" and fire the shutter. You can stand off to the side as sell. Quite tight on UWA lens. All doable or use Yongnuo 603c as wireless release. I need to have another go with them and try with the 632C triggers I have. I don't know if the 602c trigger will work but I believe it should.

The RC-6 is great but with the IR receiver on the front of the M it's a compromise but workable. Selfie perfection.
Shame there is not a better way of implementing the IR receiver, maybe on the top?! Back to the wish list for spec of an M3! :)

If you are using a remote to fire the M, then it is more than likely you will be using a tripod. I think I might try and cobble up some type of reflector/mirror to mount on a small bracket at the front of the camera to reflect back.

Shame there is not a better way of implementing the IR receiver, maybe on the top?! Back to the wish list for spec of an M3! :)

I think the wish lists of the whole range of users would be impossible to deliver.

The fact is that Canon created a fantastic system but priced it beyond what would have made it an interesting punt for mainstream EOS DSLR users to have a go. Then bang it's priced crashed and, like many, age has crept up on us and the days of dragging a huge bag of kit around is getting to be a distant memory.

Add to that dynamic that there is a wider group pushing the M system into very challenging projects, no manufacturer could meet every situation/requirement within a single downsized body.

I know we will be both pleased and disappointed with an M3 release but pushing boundaries by some will surprise.

Wifi tethering and an add on EVF would be great, some bright primes too would be fun.

I wish the IR receiver was 360 degrees but that M has an awful lot crammed into it! Now Canon - we need a cable release socket!!!

Steve

Last edited:
I use the remote quite often and the sensor being on the front isn't an issue at all to me.

I use it mainly for long exposure on a tripod so I'm standing behind the camera anyway to adjust the shot. The remote doesn't need to be directly in front of the sensor, aiming from the side or underneath holding anywhere slightly further forward than the front of the camera works fine.

EDIT - the only reason I can think of wanting to be further from the camera whilst taking a shot is if I was in the shot? In which case being on the front makes sense surely? Or am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Addendum to my previous post. I just had a go at folding a piece of kitchen foil, which was clamped between the base of the camera and the tripod shoe and then folded up in front of the camera to the side of the lens. It worked perfectly every time for about a dozen actuations standing about 2 meters behind the camera. It is a very "Heath Robinson" affair, but at least it works.:) I will post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Over the coming weeks, I shall have a go at making something from white plastic, or polished aluminium, if I can find anything in the loft.

INow Canon - we need a cable release socket!!!

Steve

It can be done with the Magic Lantern software and the audio mic input socket and a piece of hardware called a 'Trigger Trap'. I believe you can use an iOS or Android device as the 'trigger' and to act as an intervalometer.

Like this:

Had a view of the trigger trap/ML video

Seems a bit of an interesting workaround.

Pricing seems £20-30 in the UK.

It doesn't capture me immediately though but that may change in time.

Steve

Had a view of the trigger trap/ML video

Seems a bit of an interesting workaround.

Pricing seems £20-30 in the UK.

It doesn't capture me immediately though but that may change in time.

Steve

I guess it depends on what you're into. Nine times out of ten for the average user it will be an expensive solution, but if you are into astrophotography then it could be a boon.

I guess it depends on what you're into. Nine times out of ten for the average user it will be an expensive solution, but if you are into astrophotography then it could be a boon.

It's a genre I would like to get into.

I live far enough from a city not to suffer light pollution and the local authority has converted the stree lighting to downwad facing only LED street lights. It certainlh feels 'darker' at night than it was with the old street lights.

Will see what my Yongnuo 622C are capable of when I get a chance.

Steve

Looking forward to trying some astrophotography on the M, have tried it on other cameras with mixed results. One small problem at the moment, lack of clear skies at night lol.

Looking forward to trying some astrophotography on the M, have tried it on other cameras with mixed results. One small problem at the moment, lack of clear skies at night lol.

Me too - I've been trying to get out with my 300L and the M for a week or so. Even a simple shot of the moon would be nice!

Anyone thinking of buying the EOS M2 ? I see Digitalrev are doing them as a kit with the 90EX, 18-55mm, 11-22mm ,22mm and EF adaptor for £629. I was about to buy the 11-22mm, cheapest I've seen it was on Amazon for £330ish, I was thinking if I bought the kit from Digitalrev for £629, then sold the 18-55, the 22mm, the EF adaptor and the 90EX I would have an M2 body for around £150, assuming I could realise £130 for the 4 items I'd be selling.

Anyone thinking of buying the EOS M2 ? I see Digitalrev are doing them as a kit with the 90EX, 18-55mm, 11-22mm ,22mm and EF adaptor for £629. I was about to buy the 11-22mm, cheapest I've seen it was on Amazon for £330ish, I was thinking if I bought the kit from Digitalrev for £629, then sold the 18-55, the 22mm, the EF adaptor and the 90EX I would have an M2 body for around £150, assuming I could realise £130 for the 4 items I'd be selling.
I see your thinking.. For me personally I'm going to wait to see if/when an M3 is announced.

Had thought about that route as being a cheaper way to the 11-22 but I don't see there is enough in the M2 body to warrant it at £150. Breaking the kit up might get you some return. There was a HK supplier selling the same kit at £472 on EBay which made it a wholly different proposition. Was thinking it over but it disappeared off the listing. Always a risk when things seem too good to be true.

Will hang on for an UWA M lens for the M3... if and when.

Steve

Back