Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Last edited:
Some nice detail there Mike, is this with a tripod.

Never use a tripod, too much faffing about for me, all are handheld. I probably have to take more shots to get one really sharp but it's not like film where you are wasting money :)

Nice thing about mirrorless though is that you can magnify the subject through the EVF if you can't use the rear screen because of sunlight.

Nice thing about mirrorless though is that you can magnify the subject through the EVF if you can't use the rear screen because of sunlight.

....I didn't know you could magnify the subject through the EVF! Thanks!

I usually shoot with an EOS M5 + Adapter on my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro.

....I didn't know you could magnify the subject through the EVF! Thanks!

I usually shoot with an EOS M5 + Adapter on my Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro.
Im not sure if this works will all lenses, but with my M50 if you hold the AF button down to focus, and then move the focus ring on the lens once the camera achieves focus (or what it thinks is in focus) the camera automatically zooms the EVF or LCD for manual focusing. This is a really cool feature.

What straps are people using for M series?

I generally use Op Tech and have a sling and a wrist strap that I used with my Fuji, but don’t know what I’m wanting for the M5.

What straps are people using for M series?

I generally use Op Tech and have a sling and a wrist strap that I used with my Fuji, but don’t know what I’m wanting for the M5.

Op Tech here too on M5/M6

I already had a Peak Design Leash (and two Slide’s) but i pushed the boat out and brought a Slide Lite. If I know ill be out and about with the camera ill use that, but during the week to and from work with just one lens I normally just put my PD Cuff on it.
I find it easier to change lenses when the camera is hanging off me so anytime i have more than one lens with me ill use a strap. I normally have both in the bag anyway.

Great shots as always Mike.
I wish I could find the time to do more macro. I’ve dablled with my 24-70 f/4 a few times but I’ve not shot anything more intesting than a strawberry lol.
My 18-150 is arriving on Friday. I traded my 135L in so it’s not cost me anything as such. I’m normally quite nervous when I buy a new lens, but I’ve lowered my expectations for this lens, as I realise it’s more convenience over IQ that I’m paying for. Just wish it had Nano USM rather than STM.

Last edited:
Very cool images again Mike. You have a lot of patience and it pays off.

My 18-150 arrived today. im very happy with it. i love the size, very portable. I can definitely see its a step back from my 18-135 (not to mention my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii lol), but it seems usable. The images seem softer at 150 but clean up well.

A couple of test shots.

The first is at 18mm

Canon EF-M18-150 @18mm
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Second at 150mm

Canon EF-M18-150 @150mm

And this just because i like it...

Staring back.

A bit off topic but is anyone having any luck linking images using the Image button at the top. I cant seem to get it to work. Ive been struggling for ages on my ipad, had it fire up my PC just to post this.

Last edited:
I've just ordered a 22 f/2 from HDEW. Just wondering if its worth getting a hood for this?
The actual canon hood is about 2mm deep. I’ve looked for alternatives that might actually do something and not found anything yet.

The actual canon hood is about 2mm deep. I’ve looked for alternatives that might actually do something and not found anything yet.
Thanks, Sounds about as useles as the one i got for rmy 40mm f/2.8 then. Still, i like to store my lenses in my bag withis hood and no lens caps, so maybe ill just get a cheap 3rd party one.

Thanks, Sounds about as useles as the one i got for rmy 40mm f/2.8 then. Still, i like to store my lenses in my bag withis hood and no lens caps, so maybe ill just get a cheap 3rd party one.
Let me know what you choose.

Some advice from M series owners please.

I am seriously considering buying either an m5 or m50 as a second camera. I already own a 1DX2 which I will continue to use as my main camera but it is heavy and sometimes OTT. I have a good range of L glass which I use for landscape and wildlife which is my main interest. My question is should I buy a body + lens combo or body only and possibly add selective M lenses. which M lenses offer good quality and which ones are sub par? Also which converter should I buy for the EF lenses.
Your comments would be appreciated included on which body is best.

I am seriously considering buying either an m5 or m50 as a second camera. I already own a 1DX2 which I will continue to use as my main camera but it is heavy and sometimes OTT. I have a good range of L glass which I use for landscape and wildlife which is my main interest. My question is should I buy a body + lens combo or body only and possibly add selective M lenses. which M lenses offer good quality and which ones are sub par? Also which converter should I buy for the EF lenses.

The standout lens in the EOS-M range is the 22mm, so unless that's a focal length you never use it would be highly recommended. There are always going to be compromises with zoom lenses and the longer the range of focal lengths covered the more compromises will be evident, so work on that basis and you won't go too far wrong. The 11-22 is considered by most to be pretty good. Not heard great things about the 28mm macro but that's one I don't own so can't give first hand evidence.

As for EF-adaptors, there's not much in it. The Canon is more expensive than third party ones (not surprisingly) but they're only a mechanical device with straight-through electrical contacts so as long as it's well made there's no reason to shun third-party ones.

Personally id go for the body only, and a 3rd party adaptor to start with. You may well find, like i did, that you want to get one or two M lenses as well at a later date. Although all my existing lenses are better than any of the M range it feels wrong not to at least have one M lens, as it makes the camera so much more portable.

11-22mm and 22mm are both superb, 18-55mm is better than the 15-45mm (imo) and the 55-200mm is pretty good. Not tried macro as it's too short a working distance for me (100mm L on adapter is better) or the 18-150mm. I keep a bag with the M5, 11-22mm,22mm,18-55mm,55-200mm, a Raynox DCR-250 and 270EX II flash packed for lightweight shooting and all perform very well together.

As for adapters, I have 2 Canon and today had 2 Viltrox arrive via Eay LINK and as much as I prefer OEM gear in this case there really is no reason to pay the extra.

Ive got a Canon adaptor coming later this month. I have a Commlite (i think) one and have no real issues, but there is a bit of wobble between the lenses and the mount. Ive not noticed any negative effects but i felt i needed to try the real deal as well.
As its only £45 from eglobal thought id give it a go.

Im really enjoying the 18-150. It can be a bit soft at the long end in bright sunlight, but its really only noticeable if i zoom in in LR. I do tend to use my 18-135 still a lot more.

World Naked bike ride and Trooping of the Colour tomorrow in London. Think ill take the M50 rather than 5D4 and just blend in. The 18-135 will do for most of the day, but ill use my 70-300L for the flypast at 1PM.

Ok, I’m getting to the point where Im probably going to throw my M50 across the room at some point. Its got to the point where the connection issues are too time consuming and I’m just not getting anywhere. It just doesn’t work like it did when I first got it and definitely wont work as its supposed to anymore. The BT connection is supposed to tournament the WiFi on and let me transfer images to my phone, even when the camera is off. The best I can do now is to have WiFi on all the time for this to work, otherwise I get an error telling me that WiFI is off.

After speaking to a more than useless member of the Canon support team, getting told the wrong info and then getting cut off I feel there is no one to help so I might as well give up.
On top of all that, the Camera reset doesn’t work, so I cant even try and start again. This does seem to indicate there is a FW issue, unless Camera reset means just one or two features.
I don’t normally buy something like this on day one, and now I know the reason why.
It’s a great camera, I love it but I just cant live with paying this sort of money and having a crippled product.

I’m not giving up on it, just need to get my money back to buy another or get it exchanged.

Back