Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Steve, it sounds like you have it all sorted out.

Ive never had any issues either, and it’s not the app, its the Camera FW IMO. It’s been great since Friday but this afternoon it just went in to one. Fair enough if a re boot fixes it but it didn’t. Hopeing its a one off. There is still no raw file transfer using the Canon app so its not something I rely on. For raw transfer i use Cascable on my iphone, and that works fine, but it doesnt do the Bluetooth stuff the Canon app does with the M50, like waking up and instigating the WiFi i connection.

I have a Flashair card. Quite an old one though and ive not used it in a year or so. Ive also got the 50 f/1.8 STM, and its the best 50mm ive owned. STM is still slow but not by much, and although itysd noticeable its not really an issue. I love using it on my 5D4 and will give it a go this week on my M50.

I have a feeling no matter what lenses i buy my 18-135 will be on my M50 most of the time

Dave

Odd as I would have thought the M50 connectivity would be all bells and whistles! It is advertised as a connectivity leader.

Hopefully problems are being fed back. Thar would need new owners yo be pushing connectivity as you do. I am syill mulling over getting an M50, I need to make my mind up very soon though. Will move a couple of M bodies on if I do. I am influenced by your results to getting one.

Steve

Dave

Odd as I would have thought the M50 connectivity would be all bells and whistles! It is advertised as a connectivity leader.

Hopefully problems are being fed back. Thar would need new owners yo be pushing connectivity as you do. I am syill mulling over getting an M50, I need to make my mind up very soon though. Will move a couple of M bodies on if I do. I am influenced by your results to getting one.

Steve

True about the bells and whistles, but its also the first camera to have this so there will always be bugs in first version software/FW. Like i said, it may be a one off. Ill keep an eye on it.
I've had similar issues in the past with 80D and 5D4 using the connect app. I've had to re set the camera connections in camera and on my phone, but this has always been pretty straight forward to do. Not like yesterday where the app was insisting there was still a WiFi connection open. In all other respects its a fantastic camera, especially for the money.
It helps that i have lenses already though. Knowing i have all focal lengths covered has helped soften the financial blow, although i will build up a small collection of native M lenses once i get used to using the camera and can figure out what i need.The 18-135 will be hard to replace though.

I have managed to lose the lens cap for my 22mm.

Will any 43 lens cap fit?

Cheers

Martin

Cool macro’s Mike. Something I need to try myself when I get around to putting my 24-70 f/4 on.

Going a bit off topic, just wondering what you guys use as far as camera bags for these small cameras and lenses. Although gig have many bags I don’t have a small one that will just take the M50 with a coupe of lenses. At least, not without a lot of extra space. I don’t really like those rectangular bags that look like camcorder bags. It would need to just hold the M50 with 18-135 attached, and maybe my 11-22, with a pocket for small items like spare batteries.

Cool macro’s Mike. Something I need to try myself when I get around to putting my 24-70 f/4 on.

Going a bit off topic, just wondering what you guys use as far as camera bags for these small cameras and lenses. Although gig have many bags I don’t have a small one that will just take the M50 with a coupe of lenses. At least, not without a lot of extra space. I don’t really like those rectangular bags that look like camcorder bags. It would need to just hold the M50 with 18-135 attached, and maybe my 11-22, with a pocket for small items like spare batteries.

Long time ago now but I used Argos had a range of bags & you can see before you buy..

I have a lowepro passport sling, which is a great day bag, just wish it had straps for a travel tripod.

I have a lowepro passport sling, which is a great day bag, just wish it had straps for a travel tripod.

Thanks Phil. Ive seen those before but never paid much attention to them. Ill look in to them. Could be an option.

Salter’s Cat.
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. Ive seen those before but never paid much attention to them. Ill look in to them. Could be an option.
It doesn’t offer the absolute best protection, but it’ll carry a camera, a couple of lenses, an iPad and a book.
It flat packs into luggage so is great for a holiday where I can take a proper bag on the plane, then use the little bag with whatever I need for the day.

It doesn’t offer the absolute best protection, but it’ll carry a camera, a couple of lenses, an iPad and a book.
It flat packs into luggage so is great for a holiday where I can take a proper bag on the plane, then use the little bag with whatever I need for the day.

That sounds like just the ticket. My only concern is its a bit bigger than I was thinking off. Ive got various bags that will hold anything i need, my main one is an old Lowepro Classified top loader. DLR and two lenses, with iPad and day stuff, but even that’s overkill for a local walk with the M50 and a couple of lenses.
The last part of your post sells me on it though. Quite often I’ve taken larger than I really need on holiday, as my camera bag has served as my onboard bag as well.

Ill definitely be checking this one out though. Maybe its time for a change anyway.

That sounds like just the ticket. My only concern is its a bit bigger than I was thinking off. Ive got various bags that will hold anything i need, my main one is an old Lowepro Classified top loader. DLR and two lenses, with iPad and day stuff, but even that’s overkill for a local walk with the M50 and a couple of lenses.
The last part of your post sells me on it though. Quite often I’ve taken larger than I really need on holiday, as my camera bag has served as my onboard bag as well.

Ill definitely be checking this one out though. Maybe its time for a change anyway.
The best thing as a ‘holiday bag’ is that it’s expandable to fit a bottle of wine or other necessities you pick up on your travels.

Watch the video, it’s quite well done.

Yeah, Ive been looking at videos of it on YT. It does look very handy.. I might get one anyway. It looks like it will also hold a 5D4 with smaller zoom on it so I might get a lot of use out of it. I live right in the center of London so spend a lot of time out and about, but never too far from home so don’t tend to need to take much out. This sort of bag will work well for this.
It looks like its on a mkiii version now. Is that what you have?

Yeah, Ive been looking at videos of it on YT. It does look very handy.. I might get one anyway. It looks like it will also hold a 5D4 with smaller zoom on it so I might get a lot of use out of it. I live right in the center of London so spend a lot of time out and about, but never too far from home so don’t tend to need to take much out. This sort of bag will work well for this.
It looks like its on a mkiii version now. Is that what you have?
I think the mkIII is the one I have (iPad pouch)

Last edited:
Not a big fan of sling bags as it can burden your shoulder over time whilst a backpack is more balanced for your shoulders

Not a big fan of sling bags as it can burden your shoulder over time whilst a backpack is more balanced for your shoulders
This is a lightweight bag for a M and a couple of lenses. ;)
The backpack carries a couple of FF bodies, lenses and lighting ;)

I think the mkIII is the one I have (iPad pouch)

This is a lightweight bag for a M and a couple of lenses. ;)
The backpack carries a couple of FF bodies, lenses and lighting ;)

Yeah, this is really just for the M stuff, or my 5D4 with one lens.

Ive used sling bags for years. In fact i have two backpacks, inc a brand new (last year) Manfrotto that i have never used. it just seemed a good idea at the time. I just love the convince of the top loading bags as it makes things so much easier changing lenses without having to put anything down, and easier to put my camera away in a hurry.
I just cant get on with backpacks at all. Then again i dont have that much gear that i need one. My Vanguard Up-Rise bags will take all i need 99% of the time, including a lightweight rain jack, a couple of lenses, bit and pieces for a day out and even my ipad pro.

Phil, I took your recommendation and ordered the Sling. I’m not sure it will take over from my old bag Full time, but it’s definitely going on holiday with me.

Ok, so I got the 11-22 this week but not had a lot of time to use it. I took this yesterday and I must say I’m impressed with the IQ this little lens gives, especially on the larger sensor.
41979553722_2e928265d6_b.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26XAbM1]
The changing face of the City of London. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Phil, I took your recommendation and ordered the Sling. I’m not sure it will take over from my old bag Full time, but it’s definitely going on holiday with me.

Ok, so I got the 11-22 this week but not had a lot of time to use it. I took this yesterday and I must say I’m impressed with the IQ this little lens gives, especially on the larger sensor.
41979553722_2e928265d6_b.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26XAbM1]
The changing face of the City of London. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr[/URL]

The 11-22 and 22 are the pick of the M lenses!

Enjoy

Steve

The 11-22 and 22 are the pick of the M lenses!

Enjoy

Steve

Cheers Steve. I tried my 35mm f/2.0 IS last night and was really impressed with it on the M50. Im not sure id benefit from getting the 22mm (although i expect i will get it again).

One thing im starting to notice is how slow some of my STM lenses are for AF. The 18-135 Nano is very fast, as are the USM lenses, but my 24mm f/2.8 and 40mm f/2.8 seem painfully slow if going from end to end. IIR the 22mm f/2 is quite slow as well.

Thanks.
85mm 1.8 :)

Nice, I had that lens a while ago. Lovely IQ. I liked it a lot but preferred the 100 f/2 that I replaced it with.

My sling bag arrived today. Its smaller than it looks in the videos, which is a plus. Its a bit of a tight fit but i can get my M50 with 18-135 attached, with hood on (i dont use lens caps), plus another lens down the side. So good call on that one, cheers.
I’m a bit disappointed that will all those pockets on the outside none are really usable as they have to zip or way of keeping hands out, but ill just not use them. I can also see them collecting rain so ill need to be a bit cautious.

I’m still going to keep looking, but ill also use the Sling as much as i can as its nice and compact, and very comfortable.

Cheers Steve. I tried my 35mm f/2.0 IS last night and was really impressed with it on the M50. Im not sure id benefit from getting the 22mm (although i expect i will get it again).

One thing im starting to notice is how slow some of my STM lenses are for AF. The 18-135 Nano is very fast, as are the USM lenses, but my 24mm f/2.8 and 40mm f/2.8 seem painfully slow if going from end to end. IIR the 22mm f/2 is quite slow as well.

For 95% of what I do, AF speed generally is not an issue. Rock formations tend not to be running away from my camera.

On those times when I do, I use the 5D2 and 70-200 /f4 or Sigma 150-600C but that is rare TBH.

I have to say that I have never found the 22mm to be slow in AF and both the24 and 40 pancakes ‘seem’ to ‘snap to’ AF wise when shooting. I wonder if the problem is M50 firmware related? Just done some shots of the rush hour outside the house my M5 and the main lenses (11-22/22/55-200) and the AF was quick even when panning and just snapping. I will dig out the ef-s mount kit tomorrow. Will dig out the M6 to test AF response too.

Just up to my neck getting the. Motorhome prepared and stocked for my return to Ireland next week. I need to decide on whether to go for an M50 too.

Attention anyone with an M5 or M6 - I have some Qs please!

I have the M6 and primarily use with 100-400 IS - other lens include 200 2.8 and 17-50 2.8. Very happy with AF in normal mode - however when switching to servo not impressed with it? It will struggle with birds in flight, definitely and doesn't seem to have the "release priory or focus priority" that my V Lux 114 has or, from recollection, other canon DSLRS? Indeed the AF of the V lux is miles better in continous - some crackers.

So, my question is - does the M5 offer better AF continous than the M6? I chose the M6 for budgetary reasons.. however now not so sure!

Thanks in advance! :)

For 95% of what I do, AF speed generally is not an issue. Rock formations tend not to be running away from my camera.

On those times when I do, I use the 5D2 and 70-200 /f4 or Sigma 150-600C but that is rare TBH.

I have to say that I have never found the 22mm to be slow in AF and both the24 and 40 pancakes ‘seem’ to ‘snap to’ AF wise when shooting. I wonder if the problem is M50 firmware related? Just done some shots of the rush hour outside the house my M5 and the main lenses (11-22/22/55-200) and the AF was quick even when panning and just snapping. I will dig out the ef-s mount kit tomorrow. Will dig out the M6 to test AF response too.

Just up to my neck getting the. Motorhome prepared and stocked for my return to Ireland next week. I need to decide on whether to go for an M50 too.

Its probably just my expectations. I find both those lenses just as fast as they were on my 80D. The 40mm on my old 5D3 and current 5D4 has always been the slowest lens ive owned as far as AF speed goes, but then I believe STM lenses are designed to glide in to focus rather than snap. Its more noticeable going from the extreme ends of the AF range, and to be honest i dont think I’d miss many shots because of it.
Its very obvious that out of my 4 short primes, the 35 f/2 is the fastest, and thats the only USM lens. I do ‘think’ the 50 f/1.8 STM is the next fastest, but ive not done any real tests.
All still usable though.

I’ve just bought a grey one for the missus for £21 from Amazon, she’s been moaning for one for a while, and I spotted the grey one going cheap whilst researching this for you :)

Saw that deal, half the price of the black and black/red versions. No surprise it is out of stock. You can order for Prime when stock is available but will it still be that price?

I have a smaller Lowepro bag. for when I am out with the M6. My days of big bags crammed with everything are over. Many times I can use a winter waterproof coat and pocket the M6/22mm along with a pixie tripod and a couple of batteries. Bit uncomfortable for warmer days.

Back