Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Ok.
First, I’ve had the camera for a month, read the manual properly, and I’m not lying or imaging the BT thing.

Ive also said I cant reset the camera. I’m aware of how to do it, but I’ve said its not working.

No offence meant but I cant see why you think I don’t know what I’m doing.

Edited to upload this.
F66F9B61-79E0-4A7F-A5ED-8D0AC6E1E066.jpeg

06D66E02-82C2-486E-B37B-792D47770F44.png

Last edited:
is the bluetooth timing out on your phone?

Nope. BT connection is fine. You can see it trying to start the WiFi connection and failing. BT shutter remote works fine. If i leave WiFi on (even if the camera is off) it works as expected.
It seems to be an issue on the camera or in the App. Ive re downloaded the app many times, and also on my iPads, all with the same result, so i can only assume its the camera software.

Nope. BT connection is fine. You can see it trying to start the WiFi connection and failing. BT shutter remote works fine. If i leave WiFi on (even if the camera is off) it works as expected.
It seems to be an issue on the camera or in the App. Ive re downloaded the app many times, and also on my iPads, all with the same result, so i can only assume its the camera software.

I see. Very strange indeed, I can't think of any other solutions, it appears to be the camera as you say. Hope you get it sorted.

Just to be clear for those that don’t have the M50.
You can connect to it using WiFi in the traditional way, which is quite laborious IME. This does work though and doesnt need BT. The camera does of course need to be on.
If you connect to the Camera via the app using BT its all automatic, so having this working is quite a big deal for me. It’s very handy to be able to transfer images to the phone when the camera is in the bag (for example). Having the WiFi on all the time will of course drain the battery very quickly, even though it seems to be actually off when the camera is off, and only wakes up when BT tells it to, and BT turns it off again once the app is closed.

I see. Very strange indeed, I can't think of any other solutions, it appears to be the camera as you say. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers. Yes, if it had never worked there would be loads to try, but as ive had it working i know what needs to be done and ive done it all.

Ive contacted Jessops to see how to proceed. They only offer a 30 day money back guarantee, and ive had it a week longer than that. They state they will send it off to Canon to look at, but i dont want that as the camera is too new to be opened up or messed about with at this stage.

I've just ordered a 22 f/2 from HDEW. Just wondering if its worth getting a hood for this?

Dave

As Phil noted the 22mm hood is tiny BUT I got the JJC one for £7.50 to just lift the front of the lens in case I managed to put the lens face down!

Good to see what you got with the 18-150. Seems sharper results than I got. I have decided to trade my EOS750D for an M50 - might be time to try an 18-150 again.

Not been on-line for a while as I was moving my motorhome over to Ireland. Disaster. On Day 3 I demounted my bike and started to get some practice in. Stopped for a drop of water when a car swung into the slip road I was on abs slammed intt the bike and threw me into a dwarf wall. Result - bike bent and, for me, a hairline fracture of my shin!

Been laid up till yesterday.

Driver of the car is a banned driver!

So motorhome locked in a warehouse and I am static back in England.

Steve

Very impressive Mike! I'm amazed you are being successful with the AF of stuff in flight, I have almost no chance with my M6 yet it seems to use the same system.. I'm really confused!

The Tern shots aren't really in flight as such because they tend to hover in the air before diving. Even then I took about 50 shots in short bursts to get a few keepers.

Also, as mainly a Pentax user I am used to slow autofocus/tracking so have learned to pick my targets carefully ;)

Dave

As Phil noted the 22mm hood is tiny BUT I got the JJC one for £7.50 to just lift the front of the lens in case I managed to put the lens face down!

Good to see what you got with the 18-150. Seems sharper results than I got. I have decided to trade my EOS750D for an M50 - might be time to try an 18-150 again.

Not been on-line for a while as I was moving my motorhome over to Ireland. Disaster. On Day 3 I demounted my bike and started to get some practice in. Stopped for a drop of water when a car swung into the slip road I was on abs slammed intt the bike and threw me into a dwarf wall. Result - bike bent and, for me, a hairline fracture of my shin!

Been laid up till yesterday.

Driver of the car is a banned driver!

So motorhome locked in a warehouse and I am static back in England.

Steve

Wow, sorry to hear about the accident, sounds like a nightmare on all counts. Hope you are back up and running (or walking) soon.

Ive been using the 18-150 quite a lot, and although i wouldnt use it for anything too important (like today’s fly past and Naked bike ride), its a lens I’m happy to have on the camera during the week. The long end reminds me of my old 70-300 USM. usable, but best to to pixel peep it as the images are softer than would be expected. It’s still such a great focal length, all in one small lens though that its been my go to lens this week. Plus its been nice only taking a really small bag out.
Of course come winter time I’m probably going to be using one of my 24-70 lenses, as these are faster, but in good light i can cope with f/6.3 unless I’m bothered about DOF, and even at f/6.3@150mm gives a nice background blur.

I have got the hood for the 22mm, just no sign of the lens itself yet. Hopefully this coming week. I tend to store all my lenses without lens caps in my bag, and while i can see that the hood for the 22mm isnt going to do much, like you say, it’s a bit of protection which is better than nothing.

Good luck with everything.

Wow, sorry to hear about the accident, sounds like a nightmare on all counts. Hope you are back up and running (or walking) soon.

Ive been using the 18-150 quite a lot, and although i wouldnt use it for anything too important (like today’s fly past and Naked bike ride), its a lens I’m happy to have on the camera during the week. The long end reminds me of my old 70-300 USM. usable, but best to to pixel peep it as the images are softer than would be expected. It’s still such a great focal length, all in one small lens though that its been my go to lens this week. Plus its been nice only taking a really small bag out.
Of course come winter time I’m probably going to be using one of my 24-70 lenses, as these are faster, but in good light i can cope with f/6.3 unless I’m bothered about DOF, and even at f/6.3@150mm gives a nice background blur.

I have got the hood for the 22mm, just no sign of the lens itself yet. Hopefully this coming week. I tend to store all my lenses without lens caps in my bag, and while i can see that the hood for the 22mm isnt going to do much, like you say, it’s a bit of protection which is better than nothing.

Good luck with everything.[/QUO

Dave

I may order the 18-150 and send it back if too soft. It will need to be an imrovement on my original three!

I am getting around as I have a lightweight cast. Can be itchy on hot days. My solicitor in Dublin is dealing with compensation issues etc.

I will pick up an M50 in a couple of weeks.

Totally annoyed as this trip was to ne the third and final stage of my Wild Atlantic Way project, closing off the bits I missed and shooting video. The damage to. My leg will stop/hinder some locations like the Cliffs at Slieve League in Donegal. The cliffs are amongst the highest in Europe at over 600m! Not a place to be on a dicky leg.

Another awesome view is from a boat trip from Donegal Harbour. At certain times you can track whales and dolphins.

Mr drunk tw@t’s Insurance company will be super loading his rates but many companies in Ireland will not accept drunks business.

Last edited:
By the way, i heard back from Jesosps and they aren’t interested in exchanging my M50 for a new one, even though its only 6 weeks old. They just offered ot send it off to Canon for me. Canon dont have a clue if the person i spoke to yesterday is anything got go by, so I’m pretty much left to sort it out myself.
I’d love to say i wont buy any more Canon products but i know i will. I will certainly never shop at Jessops again though. If this were Amazon, even months down the line they wouldnt hesitate to send out a replacement. Lesson learned, stick with what i know.

By the way, i heard back from Jesosps and they aren’t interested in exchanging my M50 for a new one, even though its only 6 weeks old. They just offered ot send it off to Canon for me. Canon dont have a clue if the person i spoke to yesterday is anything got go by, so I’m pretty much left to sort it out myself.
I’d love to say i wont buy any more Canon products but i know i will. I will certainly never shop at Jessops again though. If this were Amazon, even months down the line they wouldnt hesitate to send out a replacement. Lesson learned, stick with what i know.

That's a pain in the rear isn't it! I know the feeling, my 7d2 has cost over £700 in in the last 12 months!

@Hugh Jarse hope you feel better and mend soon Steve,

Very impressive Mike! I'm amazed you are being successful with the AF of stuff in flight, I have almost no chance with my M6 yet it seems to use the same system.. I'm really confused!

Here's one ive taken with my M6, have you turned off Continuous AF
IMG_8446-resized-web.jpg

That's a pain in the rear isn't it! I know the feeling, my 7d2 has cost over £700 in in the last 12 months!

@Hugh Jarse hope you feel better and mend soon Steve,

Yeah, a mild pain. To be honest I’m one of these people that want things to work if I’ve paid good money for it. I may not need the feature, but it should work. I can live with it if I have to though, but ill preserver with trying to get it replaced as its quite a handy feature to have when I’m out and about.

Here’s another 18-150 shot. Quite pleased with this one. Certainly seems sharp enough.

The very congested City of London Skyline
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

And one with the 11-22. I really should have matched the two shots in LR but too lazy.

East London from the Tate.

Last edited:
Yes and just use Servo - but the review image in the viewfinder is pretty poor; it doesn’t keep a liver view there like the bridge camera I have does !

I dont use Servo i turn it to One Shot and use Drive Mode & its quicker to change between the 3 modes.

Looks good on the full size view on flickr Dave.

Thanks. Yes, I’m quite impressed with it, ive shot the same sense with my 5D4 and 70-300L, and while this gives a better result when you pixel peep I don’t feel the M50 is lagging too far behind. Conditions were ideal though. I have a feeling that come winter ill be getting the 5D4 out a lot more.

Yeah, a mild pain. To be honest I’m one of these people that want things to work if I’ve paid good money for it. I may not need the feature, but it should work. I can live with it if I have to though, but ill preserver with trying to get it replaced as its quite a handy feature to have when I’m out and about.

Here’s another 18-150 shot. Quite pleased with this one. Certainly seems sharp enough.

The very congested City of London Skyline

And one with the 11-22. I really should have matched the two shots in LR but too lazy.

East London from the Tate.

Nice shots and the result with 18-150 were better than I might have expected - rime to order the 18-150M

You were in one of my old stomping grounds! During the late 80s
and early 90s I was part of a team advising on asbestos handling for the demolition of an old Ministry of Defence building on the corner of Southwark Stre bridge! A couple a ba of years on and I was back sorting a new building called Rose Court built on part of the demolished MoD site. The HSE had it but the basement file store was regularly flooding! Some of the original 16th Century Rose Theatre are encased in sand under the basement of the new building.

Your shots brought back views I saw saw from the scaffolding on the MoD building as deconstruction started. Loads of changes in the past 30 odd years though!

Wow, talking about the Rose takes me back. My band played an outdoor gig on the site of the old Rose theatre. It was part of the demo/campaign to stop development of office blocks on that site after the remains of the theatre had been discovered. Looks like we were on opposing sides, although i must admit i was there more for a gig than as part of the protest. Ive got a photo somewhere taken at the time, and i took the same shot a few years ago from the same spot.
I was also in the first wave of skateboarders on the Southbank in the 70’s. I actually live just near the OXO tower, so ive always had a passion for this area.

Wow, talking about the Rose takes me back. My band played an outdoor gig on the site of the old Rose theatre. It was part of the demo/campaign to stop development of office blocks on that site after the remains of the theatre had been discovered. Looks like we were on opposing sides, although i must admit i was there more for a gig than as part of the protest. Ive got a photo somewhere taken at the time, and i took the same shot a few years ago from the same spot.
I was also in the first wave of skateboarders on the Southbank in the 70’s. I actually live just near the OXO tower, so ive always had a passion for this area.

The role I had was environmental/climate change/Sustainable development.

I studied Titanium develoment as my first degree and worked for BAC now part of BAe on the Panavia MRCA project (named as the Tornado). Fantastic job which meant I was in Warton, Munich, Turin and loads of other places but once the fighter version flew (MRCA/ADV later F2/F3) my but was done. I had my Masters paid for and did SD/green engineering! So you and I were basically on different chapters of the same book. I started my own consultancy which did well enough and opened up the world. In 2005 I developed a really nasty flu bug and my heart went bang during a trip to Beijing where I was advising, as part of many, on what the emerging Beijing Olympic village was doing SD/Environmentally that the London Bid could use. My diagnosis was Influenza and kidnry infection. In May my heart stopped one Saturday afternoon. I had been unwell since Beijing I was attended by a local cardiac response team and had 4 arrests. 105 days later I left hospital after a triple CABG on my own feet and wiser. I sold my business, stayed as a director, made sure my staff were sorted and safe and got back into writing, photography etc.

I think we all need to find a balance point in life and explore. My children and grandchildren are great but it is nice to follow my own path.

My experiences have been mainly positive. A philosophy, not mine, can fot most situations.

I got to visit the old Met Police Driving school many years aggo. Tgere were signs marked OFD located in many places. On enquiring, I was told that they turned out the best trained Police drivers but some got cocky and had avoidable accidents.

OFD was a reminder not to forget the “Other F^^^ing Driver!

That philosophy works for so many things, including morons taking selfies in a Lion/Tiger area! I employ OFD when I get tempted to return to work!

Wow, you have lead an interesting life. Glad the past didn’t finish it right there.
You have a good philosophy, and it sounds like you have it all under control now.

I can see why the M series and smaller, light gear appeals to you. Although at the moment weight hasn’t been an issue for me, i am appreciating not lugging my 5D4 and L lenses around at the moment. Even the 18-135 seems big and heavy compared to the 18-150.

Let’s hope Canon do put more effort in to the M lens line up, and not do what Sony did and give up on the crop lenses the moment they started to push thier FF bodies.

Last edited:
Another 18-150 @150mm shot. I really cant find much to complain about with this lens, as long as I’m not pixel peeping.

My 22mm f/2 arrives tomorrow so expect some boring narrow DOF shots lol

Fire Rescue boat on the River Thames

Last edited:
I owned the 22mm when it first came out and have been looking at the shots I took with it. I know I’m not going to be disappointed.

Talking of not being disappointed, I’ve just noticed I’ve gone over the 400 shot mark with my current battery. A lot have been short bursts but even so, I’m very happy with this performance. It was one of my biggest worries before I got the camera.

Another 18-150 @150mm shot. I really cant find much to complain about with this lens, as long as I’m not pixel peeping.

My 22mm f/2 arrives tomorrow so expect some boring narrow DOF shots lol

Fire Rescue boat on the River Thames

Like the ‘Fire Boat’

Brought back memories of ehen they had a couple of them with the brassed hose heads moored in the river.

I had not realised that the RNLI were now covering the river rescue role these days.

I lived near the river as a kid (beside the Oval cricket ground) and school was in Vauxhall so the river was part of the playground. Where the MI6 HQ isnow was a ‘bomb site’ where we would play it had an inlet to and from the river up to Albert Embankment. The Police riverboat would often pull into the inlet to pull the body of a suicide. That inlet was used for a DUKQ amphibious vehicle but for me the area was a playground!

How's the M50 battery life?

It’s better than I thought it might be. I have had almost 400 shots (a lot of short bursts though) from one charge. I have 3 batteries that I keep with me but I’m finding one full charge is good for a day out.

I still haven’t taken anything worth keeping with the 22mm f/2, but I can see why everyone raves about it. Very sharp. I don’t remember being this impressed with it when I had my M, but then the sensor wasn’t as good as in the M50.

I took my 24-70 f/4 out today. It works well on the M50 as its quite small and light. Got a few strange looks from other photographers for some reason.

Crypto Connection by Frederico Clapis

It’s better than I thought it might be. I have had almost 400 shots (a lot of short bursts though) from one charge. I have 3 batteries that I keep with me but I’m finding one full charge is good for a day out.

I still haven’t taken anything worth keeping with the 22mm f/2, but I can see why everyone raves about it. Very sharp. I don’t remember being this impressed with it when I had my M, but then the sensor wasn’t as good as in the M50.

I took my 24-70 f/4 out today. It works well on the M50 as its quite small and light. Got a few strange looks from other photographers for some reason.

r

Thanks Dave, at least it's an improvement over the original M, poor battery life, (most probably old batteries now) stops me from taking my M out.

Nice shots. I like the processing on the last one, very apt.

I owned that lens for a while but just never really clicked with it. For me the 100 f/2 USM seemed a better option. Both very good, sharp lenses though.

I know what you mean about the touch screen. I find even though i have the area set to just a small part whenever i shoot in portrait mode my nose keeps moving the AF point. Glad there is a quick way to centre it.

Back