Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Has anyone any tips for flash with the M5?

I’ve loved using this with natural light, but it seems it cant do flash without the kind of delay that makes a compact look too awkward to use. :mad:

So far the best option has been to mount the flash on camera and use the intelligent auto mode (which gives P&S level performance) trying to use OCF with a godox flash with the camera in M mode has a shutter delay of about half a second to a second. I wonder if M flash will be the answer?:thinking:
Blimey Phil if you don't know the answer how are us mere mortals supposed to know,your my Canon Guru :D

Blimey Phil if you don't know the answer how are us mere mortals supposed to know,your my Canon Guru :D
:LOL::LOL:

Well I think I’ve put it down to the AF using the poxy LED on the front of the camera, it needs switching off, not by just telling the camera to use the AF assist of the speedlight. :banghead:
And it appears the bloody thing is also desperately slow to AF in low light, now I need more practice focussing manually, I thought I’d grown out of that. :(

Thoughts are already turning towards getting a little more range than the 55-200 kit lens on the M50 will get me.

Has anyone used the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS II USM lens, interested in how the weight & balance feel on the M50 & how quick the autofocus might be. Can currently pick it up with the cashbook boost & the money saved should get me the adaptor.

Any other recommendations please (couldn't afford the 100-400 I've seen used to good effect on these pages & likely to be too heavy anyway)

TIA

Thoughts are already turning towards getting a little more range than the 55-200 kit lens on the M50 will get me.

Has anyone used the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS II USM lens, interested in how the weight & balance feel on the M50 & how quick the autofocus might be. Can currently pick it up with the cashbook boost & the money saved should get me the adaptor.

Any other recommendations please (couldn't afford the 100-400 I've seen used to good effect on these pages & likely to be too heavy anyway)

TIA

I think that will be a great lens to use. I use my 70-300L a lot on my M50. I find the balance is fine, although its a two handed job to take photos with it.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what Canon announce over the next 6 months to compete with Nikon and Sony.
A FF mirrorless with a motorised built in ‘adaptor’ for EF lenses. I hope the low light AF is a magnitude better than the M5, otherwise they’re screwed.

Cool shots. I love the retro processing. I think i over use it a bit at the moment. It suits your shots though.

Ive just started following you on Flick :)

Thanks Dave, Ive followed you back. I tend to use Flickr more for staring photos now so there’s all sorts on there.

Re processing I’ve been trying to find a style I like with the canon for some time after coming over from Fuji. I think I’m getting there now but I did like the canon colours thar they produce.

I tend to post on instagram the better ones.

https://www.instagram.com/mr_dtravels/

Thanks for the follow as well. Ive also followed you on Instagram. I don’t tend to use it much as i find tagging things is a bit time consuming, and also its not great on the ipad (which i use 99% of the time).

I too keep Flickr for the better shots, and also for sharing on other sites.

Ive only recently started to use presets in LR, i find them ok but never a one click solution. I seem to gravitate to the Cinematic/urban type look. Probably too much teal and Orange at the moment, but i know its just a phase.

I was playing with Flash last night. Although ive had my M50 for a couple of months now ive never used its flash. We are off to Grand Canaria on Sat, and this was the main reason i got the M50. After struggling a few years ago with my A6000 and Flash i thought i should get to know it a bit better before i go. No real surprises, its a Canon system after all. I will take my Nissan i40 flash though. It’s such a nice, small flash, and balances perfectly on the M50. Glad i kept it now.

I was also playing around with the remote shooting side of the M50/iphone. It all works well but I’m not sure if i should take a BT remote as that is a lot easier to use. In fact BT seems to work really well with this Camera, much quicker than WiFi. Still not got the BT/WiFI working as it should, but ive learnt to live with it.

Must admit I need to set my M50 and M100 up properly in the menus to make things quicker but I haven't as yet.

Must admit I need to set my M50 and M100 up properly in the menus to make things quicker but I haven't as yet.

What's the menu system like? I fancy an M100 just as a travel cam, with a pancake lens maybe, I also love adapting lenses and Canon have some nice cheap EF prime options. The only thing turns me off really is lack of hot-shoe on the M100

What's the menu system like? I fancy an M100 just as a travel cam, with a pancake lens maybe, I also love adapting lenses and Canon have some nice cheap EF prime options. The only thing turns me off really is lack of hot-shoe on the M100

Its fine once you get used to it, its all touchscreen and there is a q button for you to use which beings up the most used type menus. I like it and as a travel cam its great (I actually seem to use it more then my M50) with the 15-45, 22mm and 50mm 1.8 its a nice small setup.

I got mine from HDEW with the 22mm https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-m100-kit-15-4522mm-black-8056-p.asp

advice please thinking of getting SWBO a Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 Pancake for her M3 to use at indoors party so once its et up she doesn't have to change any setting she still leaning how to use it

Cheers for that, not sure how I missed this post yesterday!
Its fine once you get used to it, its all touchscreen and there is a q button for you to use which beings up the most used type menus. I like it and as a travel cam its great (I actually seem to use it more then my M50) with the 15-45, 22mm and 50mm 1.8 its a nice small setup.

I got mine from HDEW with the 22mm https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-m100-kit-15-4522mm-black-8056-p.asp

I've just bought an M100 and 15-45mm kit from John Lewis which had a £50 off offer when exchanging a working digital camera (offer now ended), so goodbye to an ancient Samsung compact of 2008 vintage. The camera (body only or kit) is also currently subject to a £50 Canon cashback from participating suppliers, so the net cost to me is £279, by far the cheapest way to own a Dual Pixel focusing camera. The kit was also bundled with the leather half case which was a bit of a surprise.

I already had the orginal EOS M camera with the 18-55mm lens and the EF to EF-S adapter. I found the EOS M was blessed with the poorest focusing I had ever experienced on any camera, even with the updated firmware. I shot it side by side with my Olympus Pen EPL6, which trounced it in almost every respect. However, I did like the build quality of the EOS M and the touch screen interface I thought was particularly good, the inclusion of a mic input socket really useful. The M100 loses the mic input socket and hotshoe, the build is a little plasticky compared to the original but all the issues relating to autofocus have been completely solved, in fact it focused better than anything else I own (5D2 and M43 cameras). The M100 was incredibly easy to set up comared to something like my OMD EM1. In bright sunlight, the screen is still perfectly usable, I haven't needed to bump up the screen brightness as of yet. The Olympus Pen screen is terrible in bright sunlight but the Pen can at least fit the expensive viewfinder as an option. The M100 video worked perfectly as well, handheld with digital stabilisation. All in all, I've been very impressed with the M100 so far, I'm sure the M5/M6/M50 would be nicer still, but these are multiples of the price of the M100. I think it would make a useful travel camera, perhaps with the EF-M 22 mm lens and some of the smaller EF primes rather than the rather slow kit lenses and provided the user can live with the weak flash and in camera mics.

I've just bought an M100 and 15-45mm kit from John Lewis which had a £50 off offer when exchanging a working digital camera (offer now ended), so goodbye to an ancient Samsung compact of 2008 vintage. The camera (body only or kit) is also currently subject to a £50 Canon cashback from participating suppliers, so the net cost to me is £279, by far the cheapest way to own a Dual Pixel focusing camera. The kit was also bundled with the leather half case which was a bit of a surprise.

I already had the orginal EOS M camera with the 18-55mm lens and the EF to EF-S adapter. I found the EOS M was blessed with the poorest focusing I had ever experienced on any camera, even with the updated firmware. I shot it side by side with my Olympus Pen EPL6, which trounced it in almost every respect. However, I did like the build quality of the EOS M and the touch screen interface I thought was particularly good, the inclusion of a mic input socket really useful. The M100 loses the mic input socket and hotshoe, the build is a little plasticky compared to the original but all the issues relating to autofocus have been completely solved, in fact it focused better than anything else I own (5D2 and M43 cameras). The M100 was incredibly easy to set up comared to something like my OMD EM1. In bright sunlight, the screen is still perfectly usable, I haven't needed to bump up the screen brightness as of yet. The Olympus Pen screen is terrible in bright sunlight but the Pen can at least fit the expensive viewfinder as an option. The M100 video worked perfectly as well, handheld with digital stabilisation. All in all, I've been very impressed with the M100 so far, I'm sure the M5/M6/M50 would be nicer still, but these are multiples of the price of the M100. I think it would make a useful travel camera, perhaps with the EF-M 22 mm lens and some of the smaller EF primes rather than the rather slow kit lenses and provided the user can live with the weak flash and in camera mics.

It's just the lack of hot shoe that puts me off the M100, other than that it looks ideal for travel, or just as an always on you camera. It would be a killer gig camera too. I am tempted to give one a go, though I think they M5 would be more what I would want. Trouble there is, if I got an M5, I'd have to start deciding whether or not to keep the G80, as they are very similar, the G80 better in some ways - and they can't share lenses without something like a Viltrox adapter which is about £150

I’m really loving the M100,just seems to cover what I want without any fuss,thought I might miss a VF but I’m actually preferring
using the nice LCD.I like the colours it produces and the touch screen is really nice and responsive.A keeper for me.

I understand it wont be everyone’s cup of tea .

I’m really loving the M100,just seems to cover what I want without any fuss,thought I might miss a VF but I’m actually preferring
using the nice LCD.I like the colours it produces and the touch screen is really nice and responsive.A keeper for me.

I understand it wont be everyone’s cup of tea .

Lack of VF wouldn't really bother me either, it would be a second cam I would like to use for more casual trips, I often use the LCD on my G80 for macro or low to ground shots. Only really use the evf for portraits or group shots, I find in the VF you tend to frame that bit better, any kind of shot where you don't want to crop later. It really is only the lack of hot shoe holding me off, as I would have liked to use it as a macro option also, and I always use OCF for that.

I wonder would the M100's pop up flash trigger a speedlight? hmmmm

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what lenses are you using with the M100?
Hi Keith,I bought it with the 15-45 with the intention to add the 22 and a longer lens but so far I’ve been happy with just the kit lens but
I think that is partly my dwindling gas and concentration on my new pastel painting hobby.
I’m definitely getting a long lens to add to it though but at the moment not feeling I need the 22 even though it’s highly regarded

:plus1::ROFLMAO: I’ve been buying pastels books corses charcoals researching by the bucketload,how did you guess :LOL:

You're a bit like me, I don't have the funds to pump into camera gear but once I latch onto another interest I research like a mo'fo and buy all of the things!! :D 2 weeks in I'm usually an expert advising other others :LOL:

I do a bit of art myself, well ... now and then, I'm very lazy about it. But a better example would be me quitting the smokes and discovering vaping, 5yrs now! and I've advanced from a clueless noob using cig-a-likes to making my own coils and juice, DIY all the way bar the devices

Last edited:
You're a bit like me, I don't have the funds to pump into camera gear but once I latch onto another interest I research like a mo'fo and buy all of the things!! :D 2 weeks in I'm usually an expert advising other others :LOL:

I do a bit of art myself, well ... now and then, I'm very lazy about it. But a better example would be me quitting the smokes and discovering vaping, 5yrs now! and I've advanced from a clueless noob using cig-a-likes to making my own coils and juice, DIY all the way bar the devices
LOL not a Gemini by any chance? lol @ your Vaping ,my mates the same,hes spent a fortune on all those mods tops and god knows what else,hes off to the Shrewsbury annual do this sat coming i think,every week its a new mod or juice or something,on the forums all the time.
yeah im great at advising people but crap at doing anything lol.
ah well back to my charcoal pastel ink watercolour creation :rolleyes::LOL:

LOL not a Gemini by any chance? lol @ your Vaping ,my mates the same,hes spent a fortune on all those mods tops and god knows what else,hes off to the Shrewsbury annual do this sat coming i think,every week its a new mod or juice or something,on the forums all the time.
yeah im great at advising people but crap at doing anything lol.
ah well back to my charcoal pastel ink watercolour creation :rolleyes::LOL:

Nah, stubborn old Capricorn :D I've seen people get obsessed with vape gear, it's very strange. I like having a nice set up but that's about it. I'll have 2 decent mods at any one time and only replace them when one breaks down. But I have seen unbelievable 'G.A.S' from some vapers. They think nothing of spending £200-300 on special edition mods and they'll have dozens of them, shelves dedicated just to mods and tanks. I do really enjoy making the juice though, and I've come up with some nice ones over the years. Keeps costs massively down - I can make 100ml of 3mg juice for less than a fiver and between me and the missus that would do us the whole week.

You should post up some of your art

Nah, stubborn old Capricorn :D I've seen people get obsessed with vape gear, it's very strange. I like having a nice set up but that's about it. I'll have 2 decent mods at any one time and only replace them when one breaks down. But I have seen unbelievable 'G.A.S' from some vapers. They think nothing of spending £200-300 on special edition mods and they'll have dozens of them, shelves dedicated just to mods and tanks. I do really enjoy making the juice though, and I've come up with some nice ones over the years. Keeps costs massively down - I can make 100ml of 3mg juice for less than a fiver and between me and the missus that would do us the whole week.

You should post up some of your art
sounds just like my mate re the SE mods.
lol ,im new to the ART keith,gotta give me more time im still trawling and buying books equipment and online tuition courses :D

Well after looking at my photos I seem to be using the m100 a lot more than the M50 so it’s on its way to a dealer tomorrow. I’ve always fancied having a dabble with full frame so I’ve decided to have a go with a 6D. The good thing is I already have lenses I can use on both systems.

Well after looking at my photos I seem to be using the m100 a lot more than the M50 so it’s on its way to a dealer tomorrow. I’ve always fancied having a dabble with full frame so I’ve decided to have a go with a 6D. The good thing is I already have lenses I can use on both systems.
I loved the 6D both times I had one.but am also loving this M100,we have bonded

I loved the 6D both times I had one.but am also loving this M100,we have bonded
I love the m100 as well with thec15-45 and 22 I can just put it in my pocket. I'm thinking of starting to do family portraits hence getting the 6d for that side as I already have the 50mm and 85mm.

Back