Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Has anyone done their own wet sensor clean on the M50 yet? I've a few stubborn ones that need a wet clean. I normally clean my DSLR sensor's so im confident in doing it, but ive never done the M50 before. Just wondered if there is anything to look out for. It seems like it will be a lot easier than my 5D4.

Has anyone done their own wet sensor clean on the M50 yet? I've a few stubborn ones that need a wet clean. I normally clean my DSLR sensor's so im confident in doing it, but ive never done the M50 before. Just wondered if there is anything to look out for. It seems like it will be a lot easier than my 5D4.

Should be just as straight forward, easier even as you don't have to use 'mirror-up' to get that out the way. Just makes sure you get the right sized swabs, the ones for Canon APSC will be slightly different to those for Nikon. I've cleaned the sensor on my G80, that can be a little weird the first time because of the IBIS the sensor physically moves about when you clean it

Need a kick to restart my M mojo.

I went to Canada for a long stay, took all my M set, faced some extreme cold winter days in Northern Quebec and...... nothing.

Truly stuck in a rut of photography disinterest.

So, with M5 and M50 bodies plus M lenses, oodles of batteries. The winter scenes of NE Canada, the use of s winter capable 4x4 truck...... I hit a wall of indifference. A mixture of depression and a general feeling of ‘meh’, I am looking back on a lazy inert winter and too much lazing around.

So how do I get the fire lit in me to get out the M5/M50 kit out and used?

I know this is the M thread but my issue is universal. I get that. My kit is now unused, unloved and under my desk at home.

This is a true first for me!

I went to Canada for a long stay, took all my M set, faced some extreme cold winter days in Northern Quebec and...... nothing.

So, with M5 and M50 bodies plus M lenses, oodles of batteries. The winter scenes of NE Canada, the use of s winter capable 4x4 truck...... I hit a wall of indifference. A mixture of depression and a general feeling of ‘meh’, I am looking back on a lazy inert winter and too much lazing around.

I know this is the M thread but my issue is universal. I get that. My kit is now unused, unloved and under my desk at home.

I feel ya! I hit the slump at least once a year, I too suffer with depression, it's a constant struggle. I use photography as an escape mostly, but it can become that burden if I try force myself into it. When I do hit that slump my immediate reaction is to sell off my gear and change systems! It's extreme, and not the right thing to do, it's worked the odd time but usually you end up back in the same slump with the newer gear after a month or two. I think the better idea is to just not think about it. Yes, you have all this gear laying about, but it's not melting away, it's not degrading through lack of use, it's just waiting ... for your mojo to return ;) Think about the type of photography that pleases you the most, don't force it, winter scenes maybe aren't your favorite thing? Maybe you prefer a spot of garden macro? With Spring in full bloom it's actually the perfect time for that. Don't try do hours per day shooting, more like pick a couple hours per week and enjoy that time. Photography for many of us is more than the gear or even the images, it's a therapy, a distraction, just something that gives us 'me time'. I much more enjoy the day I spent 10 minutes in the garden getting a nice bird shot than the day I slogged through mucky woodlands on a p***y rainy day for 6 hrs only to come back frustrated with the 500 crap images I want to insta-delete.

I've thought on an M50 as a side-kick camera many times, since I'm now adapting EF/s lenses to my G80 wouldn't be a terrible idea! Looks a fun little camera to use, pity no IBIS but I'm just spoiled with that, never needed it previous to using Panasonic/Olympus

What do you like to see normally? City? Landscapes? People? Nature? Or just go-try something completely different like booking studio tuition.

Your not on your own at all, nowt has happened on this thread for weeks.

Cant help with that as ive been feeling the same this year. Normally I’d go out to events etc but even though I know they are on ive been too lazy to go out. .
I think the sun coming out will spur me on....hopefully.

Dave

Damn, I thought it was just me!

The weather in Canada was wild, very cold and beautiful - my cousin lent me a brilliant 4x4 which had an uprated heater and brilliant tyres but I stayed in my hotel room with it’s log fire......

When the mojo goes........

S

Cant help with that as ive been feeling the same this year. Normally I’d go out to events etc but even though I know they are on ive been too lazy to go out. .
I think the sun coming out will spur me on....hopefully.

Well I am heading to Ireland for the start of spring.

Maybe something will spark.

Steve

Lads how do we feel on the M3? Is it a bit old tech by today's standards? Is it much slower than say the M100 or M50? spotting some for sale locally and just pondering really - what's the resale value like on them, are people still buying?

Lads how do we feel on the M3? Is it a bit old tech by today's standards? Is it much slower than say the M100 or M50? spotting some for sale locally and just pondering really - what's the resale value like on them, are people still buying?

Would not advise the M3! I had one and the AF is positively archaic - plus the viewfinder you need too! I don't advise it at all - you'll quickly want to upgrade. That was my only moan really. The M100 is much faster - I actually have on of those under the bed unused much... ;)

So my purchase from LCE arrived today; Canon 70-300 DO IS. Now looking online, seems to be little bad press about these - overpriced and underperomder. I would disagree initially - very impressed! Plus got It for a bargain £199 incl Saturday DPD delivery boxed! Check out my ones below - will be using it on the Panasonic G80 at some point this weekend too! Quick ones straight from the M50, brief processing in photoshop.

Would not advise the M3! I had one and the AF is positively archaic - plus the viewfinder you need too! I don't advise it at all - you'll quickly want to upgrade. That was my only moan really. The M100 is much faster - I actually have on of those under the bed unused much... ;)

The reviews I watched on it pretty much confirmed this, the AF is atrocious. The canon lens I have adapted for the G80 focuses faster than a prime designed for the M system on the M3 - that is a bit shocking. Just wondered as someone is selling one local with the EF adapter and a 22mm. But I think I'll just get a nice macro for the G80 instead.

So my purchase from LCE arrived today; Canon 70-300 DO IS. Now looking online, seems to be little bad press about these - overpriced and underperomder. I would disagree initially - very impressed! Plus got It for a bargain £199 incl Saturday DPD delivery boxed! Check out my ones below - will be using it on the Panasonic G80 at some point this weekend too! Quick ones straight from the M50, brief processing in photoshop.

No images showing?

Unless it was really really cheap wouldn't even consider the M3. The introduction of the DPAF sensors changed the abilities of the M series completely, so much more responsive in all ways, not just the AF speed. If you want to enter on a tight budget the M100 is a far better option IMHO.

Sadly not - but it is superbly compact overall! A bit wider, but hey its more compact and has this supposedly good DO glass and whatnot so happy to forgive that!

The weather in Canada was wild, very cold and beautiful - my cousin lent me a brilliant 4x4 which had an uprated heater and brilliant tyres but I stayed in my hotel room with it’s log fire......
First time I read that I thought he'd lent you some kind of square large-format camera (cropped 5x4 perhaps?). :)

£199 for one of those is a bit of a bargain.

Yes indeed. - I recommend keeping an eye on LCE; they seem to have those lens for good value - I couldn't believe this one. It was boxed and everything, and tbh I'm very happy with it in terms of quality, definitely! Seems at least as good as my 100-400L. Not done a direct comparison with the Panasonic 100-300 but I'm confident it will be better!

Yes indeed. - I recommend keeping an eye on LCE; they seem to have those lens for good value - I couldn't believe this one. It was boxed and everything, and tbh I'm very happy with it in terms of quality, definitely! Seems at least as good as my 100-400L. Not done a direct comparison with the Panasonic 100-300 but I'm confident it will be better!
There’s two on the LCE site at £299 now - not as much of a bargain but still a good price. What’s it like at the long end? That’s usually where these zooms are weakest and the old 100-400 mark 1 I used to have was no exception.

There’s two on the LCE site at £299 now - not as much of a bargain but still a good price. What’s it like at the long end? That’s usually where these zooms are weakest and the old 100-400 mark 1 I used to have was no exception.

Yes, I can't say I've had any complaints really at the moment; I have the 100-400 mark one and again. -don't notice any sharpness problems even at full zoom. When I get round to it, I'll have a proper go of the 70-300 but initial testing and its more than capable for me, and quite confident it will be replacing the Panasonic 100-300.

Just realized, all the above were at the long 300mm end of the zoom!

Last edited:
Anyone bought a bottom group case for their M? I bought this one shown earlier in the head for the M50 and the diffferneec in handling is fantastic. It is a Chinese special and took a couple week to arrive but very happy. Genuine leather and has a battery flap underneath to access the card and battery etc. Protects agains the odd bump and increases its grip amazingly. Looks quite good too I think!

Back