Canon EOS M Series Cameras

So, I brought a new adapter for my m50, the viltrox version this time as I assumed it was my adapter which caused problems. It now looks like it's the camera, it won't power up sometimes and I still get err 01 check lens. So off for repair it will have to go! These are intermittent. Got a few days in Cornwall this weekend as well.

On a positive note the viltrox adapter seems great, feels more to it than the meike one. A bit heavier but it seems a better choice for a heavier lens such as my sigma 105 and 150-600.

So, I brought a new adapter for my m50, the viltrox version this time as I assumed it was my adapter which caused problems. It now looks like it's the camera, it won't power up sometimes and I still get err 01 check lens. So off for repair it will have to go! These are intermittent. Got a few days in Cornwall this weekend as well.

On a positive note the viltrox adapter seems great, feels more to it than the meike one. A bit heavier but it seems a better choice for a heavier lens such as my sigma 105 and 150-600.

I have a Viltrox for my Panasonic G80 and have been very impressed with the quality of it. For £80 it allows me to mount EF and EF-S lenses with full control, just like a Metabones - but for 1/6th the price! AF is working surprisingly well too, I'm sure it's even better for the M series as the lenses are closer to native.

I originally bought a Viltrox for my Panasonic G80 - the EFM1; This first purchase was Cleary a dud - I updated the frimware many times but to no avail, it continued to flash up error messages and so on. In the end I got a refund and bought another one which was perfect. No error message ever now - across either EFM1 or the EFM2. So I'd check it out, maybe a slight dud!!

I have a Viltrox for my Panasonic G80 and have been very impressed with the quality of it. For £80 it allows me to mount EF and EF-S lenses with full control, just like a Metabones - but for 1/6th the price! AF is working surprisingly well too, I'm sure it's even better for the M series as the lenses are closer to native.

It was worth the £30, I am intrigued now about the speed booster version, to use with my 105 sigma for portraits.

I originally bought a Viltrox for my Panasonic G80 - the EFM1; This first purchase was Cleary a dud - I updated the frimware many times but to no avail, it continued to flash up error messages and so on. In the end I got a refund and bought another one which was perfect. No error message ever now - across either EFM1 or the EFM2. So I'd check it out, maybe a slight dud!!

I have been getting the error message with the meike adapter over the last few weeks, been fine up until recently. The camera not powering up is making me think there's an issue with the camera. I shall see how it goes while I'm in cornwall.

Yeah it's a lot cheaper for the Canon one because it's a lot easier get it to communicate I'd guess, £80 for the M43 one - there's more going on in there I guess, but if the M one is built anything like the M43 one it'll be very good quality

John Lewis have the EF-M 22mm pancake for £99 again.

Currently showing out of stock, however Curry’s PC World are offering the same price, but then a further 10% off with CAMERA10 as the code. I’ve just reserved one for pickup but for the life of me can’t find anywhere to insert the code. Not a massive deal but just shy of a tenner is a tenner in my pocket! I’ll have to see if I can wangle the deal when I get there tomorrow.

I’m planning on using it on my original M, I’m in the market for something of good quality that will go in my pocket and I already have an M so I’m thinking the 22mm is the way to go :D especially for £99 I could always move it on if needs be! I’m a big fan of 35mm on FF so should be ideal. My current pocket camera is a Contax T2 so I’m hoping this may be a similar setup in digital which would be nice :D

I bought the 22mm when it was last on offer at Currys and it lives on my M100, it's a really good lens. Currys staff sometimes need a little reminder that items are on offer.

I’m planning on using it on my original M, I’m in the market for something of good quality that will go in my pocket and I already have an M so I’m thinking the 22mm is the way to go :D especially for £99 I could always move it on if needs be! I’m a big fan of 35mm on FF so should be ideal. My current pocket camera is a Contax T2 so I’m hoping this may be a similar setup in digital which would be nice :D

Should work great in that scenario, even if I had to pay full retail for a replacement if mine broke, I would willingly it is that versatile, wouldn't want to be without one.

I picked the lens up yesterday, first impressions are good but I think the AF might take getting a little used to after shooting D750 + 24-70 :LOL: I’m still using the original M which was never known for its rapid AF!

A nice little lens though, I’ve been using it to shoot some egg hunts with my little one yesterday afternoon and this morning so I’ll get them on the computer soon to have a look through properly.

Just as a side note, the reduction code was only available on delivery orders but the lens wasn’t available for delivery so had to pay full price :LOL:

Currently showing out of stock, however Curry’s PC World are offering the same price, but then a further 10% off with CAMERA10 as the code. I’ve just reserved one for pickup but for the life of me can’t find anywhere to insert the code. Not a massive deal but just shy of a tenner is a tenner in my pocket! I’ll have to see if I can wangle the deal when I get there tomorrow.

That a cracking price for a superb little lens I have one on my eos-m body and it is pocketable :)(y)

I picked the lens up yesterday, first impressions are good but I think the AF might take getting a little used to after shooting D750 + 24-70 :LOL: I’m still using the original M which was never known for its rapid AF!

Ah yeah, thats the camera not the lens, though it's never going to be a lightning fast lens to focus, the performance on the DPAF camera's (M5/6/50/100) is like night and day in comparison.
Having said that the 22mm is still normally kept mounted on my original M too :)

Ah yeah, thats the camera not the lens, though it's never going to be a lightning fast lens to focus, the performance on the DPAF camera's (M5/6/50/100) is like night and day in comparison.
Having said that the 22mm is still normally kept mounted on my original M too :)

That’s good to know :) To be honest I don’t find it un-useable or anything, just takes a little getting used to running after a 2 year old :LOL: I’m enjoying it though to be honest, I think I should have bought it years ago. I’ve always been a fan of the camera and the 18-55, I just always felt it needed good light :)

Help needed with my M6 how do I hide the ISO on my screen I keep changing settings with my cheek when looking through the VF, just cant remember how I did it before.

Last edited:
Help needed with my M6 how do I hide the ISO on my screen I keep changing settings with my cheek when looking through the VF, just cant remember how I did it before.

All done it suddenly come to me what i needed to do.

As much as I love my 7DII and associated L glass that I use for normal stuff, I'm starting to find it a bit heavy, and dare I say cumbersome,
for Macro. ( I guess I'm getting old)
I'm seriously considering a M5 or M50. lens adapter & using my Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.
It seems that they both have a "hot shoe" so I can still use the 580 ex or the 14 ex ring flash.
And maybe even invest in the dedicated macro lens at some point.
I don't want to spend a fortune on the EOS RP or the R, in case I can't "get on" with the mirrorless system
TBH I can't see much difference ( I'm not interested in the video spec) Body only the M50 seems to be about £450 - £500
and the M5 about £500 - £550.

Thought? comments?

TIA

As much as I love my 7DII and associated L glass that I use for normal stuff, I'm starting to find it a bit heavy, and dare I say cumbersome,
for Macro. ( I guess I'm getting old)
I'm seriously considering a M5 or M50. lens adapter & using my Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.
It seems that they both have a "hot shoe" so I can still use the 580 ex or the 14 ex ring flash.
And maybe even invest in the dedicated macro lens at some point.
I don't want to spend a fortune on the EOS RP or the R, in case I can't "get on" with the mirrorless system
TBH I can't see much difference ( I'm not interested in the video spec) Body only the M50 seems to be about £450 - £500
and the M5 about £500 - £550.

Thought? comments?

TIA

I really liked the M50 when I had it, didn't notice any shortcomings, I had considered the M5 but the slightly cheaper factor, the newer features grabbed me; The sensor is the same, and I was overall very very happy. If it comes to a point when I want a backup to the R/RP I might consider an M5 only because the battery is the same as the R so one less headache - plus by then (next year or so) I expect the price to have dropped even further. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the M50 at all!

Back