Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Just bought an M50 on one of their ‘lightning’ Prime Day deals for £399...and hoping to claim the £60 Canon cashback too! :woot:
Result (y)
I can't advise on the lens. I bought the Meike lens adapter and use my canon EF lens.
But the kit lens is usable (y)

@Cobra , thanks, I’ll be quite happy with the standard lens for now then as anything has to be better than using my iPhone for stills :)

Just bought an M50 on one of their ‘lightning’ Prime Day deals for £399...and hoping to claim the £60 Canon cashback too! :woot:
If only this was a few days earlier I could have taken it to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix on Sunday. As it was I had to use my iPhone XR for both photos and videos :runaway:

Can anyone advise as to which of the ‘M’ lenses are worth getting as it’s supplied with the standard 15-45mm?

Many thanks in advance for all/any recommendations (y)

Andy :thinking:

Bargain price! I can certainly recommend the 22mm f2 prime. I haven't owned any of the other m lenses myself, but from what I have seen you wouldn't go wrong with any of them to be honest. Also of note sigma have announced they will be bringing out their 16mm, 30mm and 56mm primes out for the M mount soon, all with f1.4 apertures.

@michael23 , thanks for that info...especially about the sigma lenses. I can see I’ve got a lot of research to do to enable me to get the best from the M50.

Andy :help:

Hello all, received my new M50 this week and testing it out with the kit lens. Really impressed so far and that's just with the 15-45 EFM lens.

I've got a trip to Lisbon & upstate New York coming up next month and considering leaving my 80D (with EF70-200 and EFS15-85) at home and taking the M50 instead. I've got an EF adapter so here's my question - what lenses should I take, for an itinerary that includes city, landscape and (possibly big) wildlife?

From what I already own, I'm thinking EFS 55-250 STM, 22mm EFM pancake and the EFM 18-55 (instead of the 15-45).

Or to make best use of the small form factor, buy an EFM55-200 to replace adapter and EFS lens?

I have had my M50 for 8 months now with a few lenses added over that time:
EF-M 15-45mm (came with camera)
EF-M 11-22mm
EF-M 55-200mm
Canon 50mm + adaptor
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro + adaptor

Next on the wish list: EF-M 32mm F1.4

I am really pleased with the results. I shoot primarily for stock and have had nearly 100% approval across 8 stock sites.

For me, the 11-22mm is the pick of the M series lens.

Hello all, received my new M50 this week and testing it out with the kit lens. Really impressed so far and that's just with the 15-45 EFM lens.

I've got a trip to Lisbon & upstate New York coming up next month and considering leaving my 80D (with EF70-200 and EFS15-85) at home and taking the M50 instead. I've got an EF adapter so here's my question - what lenses should I take, for an itinerary that includes city, landscape and (possibly big) wildlife?

From what I already own, I'm thinking EFS 55-250 STM, 22mm EFM pancake and the EFM 18-55 (instead of the 15-45).

Or to make best use of the small form factor, buy an EFM55-200 to replace adapter and EFS lens?

Adapted lesnes do work really well on the m50, I have used the 18-135 and canon 70-300 is (latest version) and results are great with both of those. with no issues on handling either. From what I know of the 55-250 I reckon it would be a nice combo adapted. That extra bit of reach may well be useful. Difficult to say which would be the best way to go. The 3 lenses you have would make a great set for travel.

Adapted lesnes do work really well on the m50, I have used the 18-135 and canon 70-300 is (latest version) and results are great with both of those. with no issues on handling either. From what I know of the 55-250 I reckon it would be a nice combo adapted. That extra bit of reach may well be useful. Difficult to say which would be the best way to go. The 3 lenses you have would make a great set for travel.

Many thanks, I'll give them a go!

Took the M5 to RIAT yesterday along with some "proper" cameras ;)

Was going to use it purely for video but completely forgot any extra batteries so you can imagine how long that lasted. Anyway a couple taken with the EF-M 55-200mm, both heavily cropped. The grey sky was a bit of a let down though.

RIAT 2019
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

RIAT 2019
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

What’s the shutter life of the 5dmk4? 300k?

I'm liking this M50 more and more
31mm extension tube, canon 2.8 macro lens and MR14-EX ring flash.
iso 100 1/200th and f/8

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

M5 mkII and M6 mkII on the way, will anyone be upgrading? rumors suggest no crop 4K for one and 30 off mp

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-m5-mark-ii-and-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii-are-on-the-way-cr1/

Interested to see how they move these forward, especially the m5 mk 2.

I would hope for much improved battery life with the new versions. Personally I hope they add a joystick for focus selection. I wonder how close to the 90d or whatever they decide to name it.

I would hope for much improved battery life with the new versions. Personally I hope they add a joystick for focus selection. I wonder how close to the 90d or whatever they decide to name it.

Agreed on the battery life, if it's anything like the M50. Surprised how quickly it eats through a full charge.

One thing I think Canon need to add to all their new cameras is proper IBIS, and allow DPAF for their 4K video.

I want something as pretty as the M6 with an RF positioned EVF.
IBIS would be nice

Am I right in thinking the M50 has no configurable minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO?

I love Canon glass but hate how as a company they intentionally bork their cameras in software to avoid stepping on the toes of their other models.

Am I right in thinking the M50 has no configurable minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO?

I love Canon glass but hate how as a company they intentionally bork their cameras in software to avoid stepping on the toes of their other models.

Yes it doesn't as far as I know - I noticed especially as it is a feature on my R and RP and thought its a shame its missing!

@Cobra nice looking results there, looks like it's serving you well!
Cheers Michael I'm getting there slowly with it (y)
I just love the lightness of the camera TBH.
Plus the 100mm macro lens and its not even really that heavy with the 14 EX ring flash or the 580 added.

That doesn't mean I'm about to get rid of the 7DII though :D

Cheers Michael I'm getting there slowly with it (y)
I just love the lightness of the camera TBH.
Plus the 100mm macro lens and its not even really that heavy with the 14 EX ring flash or the 580 added.

That doesn't mean I'm about to get rid of the 7DII though :D

Same position with me, 7d2 is still needed abd wont be going, unless canon pull something amazing out of the bag in the m line!

A couple more from my m50. I don't usually try and capture people deliberately in my photos, but right place and right time.

by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

hey Michael you could use Photoshop or PSE to remove those humans, :)

Ant looks on helplessly as a lady bird devours its flock (y)
M50, 100mm 2.8 macro lens, + 31mm extension tube & 14EX ring flash.
Curiously anything more that 31mm and the camera doesn't recognise the lens!

by Cobra, on Flickr

More snout in the trough

by Cobra, on Flickr

Thirsty work eh?

by Cobra, on Flickr

Had a run to Scarborugh for the wifes birthday yesterday. Shattered after 4 hours of travelling, (1hr30 minutes more than it should!) We went on the boat for trip along the coast line. Some bird in flight with the m50, 70-300 canon is and viltrox adapter.

Big crops! Seemed to do an ok job

sandwich tern by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

sandwich tern by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Manx Shearwater by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_2322 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_2334 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hi, there's a lot of posts in this thread, and although I think I've searched them it's always possible I missed something I'm looking for. Apologies if that's the case.

I have a Canon EOS M6, and I don't use it anywhere near as much as I could. However, on the few times I have used it, about one time in two, I find the ISO has 'moved' from Auto to 25600. The first time, I assumed that I'd clicked the ISO wheel around and not noticed.

The second time I was more dubious.

I got the camera out again yesterday, visually checked the settings, walked about for a bit, took some shots, wondered why the shutter speed was 4000/sec, stopped, checked and found the ISO on 25600 again.

I've turned off the touch screen this time to see if there's something about how I carry the camera around that's causing me to scroll the ISO setting via the touch screen. I'm almost certain I didn't turn the ISO wheel, I made no changes to exposure compensation and despite trying I can't turn the wheel while turning the camera on or off in a way which changes the ISO. So it feels like it has to be something about the touch screen.

A quick search on the web found a couple of old posts elsewhere from people who had the same experience as me, I wondered if anywhere here did?

I got the camera out again yesterday, visually checked the settings, walked about for a bit, took some shots, wondered why the shutter speed was 4000/sec, stopped, checked and found the ISO on 25600 again.

Yes that sounds like you are adjusting it via the touchscreen while carrying it around. Turning off the touchscreen should prove the case and if so another option is to cycle through the screens using the info button until you get to the one with no icons, then just hit the "Q" button when you want to adjust something. With that you will still have the touchscreen active to move your focus points.
Hope that makes sense?

Yes that sounds like you are adjusting it via the touchscreen while carrying it around. Turning off the touchscreen should prove the case and if so another option is to cycle through the screens using the info button until you get to the one with no icons, then just hit the "Q" button when you want to adjust something. With that you will still have the touchscreen active to move your focus points.
Hope that makes sense?

It does. It's annoying that it only seems to be the ISO that ever gets changed!

Yes that sounds like you are adjusting it via the touchscreen while carrying it around.
I had a similar issue with my M50, and then it occurred to me I was forever altering "stuff" by letting my nose touch the touch screen while using the eye piece :facepalm:

Back