Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Not the best but the first one I've seen this year, when I had a camera in my hand.

M50 Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens and Canon ring flash

by Cobra, on Flickr

Not much about, save quite a few Orb weavers plying their wares around the ( still flowering and fruiting) Passiflora.

by Cobra, on Flickr

Pre-ordered an EOS M6 Mk2 kit today with the 15-45, EVF and EF/EF-S adapter.

Want to try a smaller camera setup for carrying around on days out as mostly use my 5D3 with 50mm f/1.4 or 24-105mm f/4L, but its a bit bulky now we have a 1-year old in tow so been falling back to using my phone and mostly regretting it.

Also curious how it'll handle motorsport photography as at bigger circuits like Silverstone my 300mm f/4L on a full frame body lacks reach and a 1.6x crop factor + high MP sensor may help with that - tracking fast subjects through the EVF and general handling might be interesting though....

Pre-ordered an EOS M6 Mk2 kit today with the 15-45, EVF and EF/EF-S adapter.

Want to try a smaller camera setup for carrying around on days out as mostly use my 5D3 with 50mm f/1.4 or 24-105mm f/4L, but its a bit bulky now we have a 1-year old in tow so been falling back to using my phone and mostly regretting it.

Also curious how it'll handle motorsport photography as at bigger circuits like Silverstone my 300mm f/4L on a full frame body lacks reach and a 1.6x crop factor + high MP sensor may help with that - tracking fast subjects through the EVF and general handling might be interesting though....

Look forward to seeing results off it James. When do you get it?

Thanks Keith, I do wish the af was more silent on that lens. Quite pleased with the result though. I could also do with better software to edit and upload in 4k.

Can't remember which magazine it was, but I seen one of them has Power director 16 for free on disc - I have this program and it's not too difficult to get along with. used to be about £60 or so, buying a £6 magazine doesn't seem a bad way to get it. I'm not great with video, very rarely ever touch it tbh. I can just about do a music track lay over and some light editing

This was the video I'd done a couple years back, was just testing the video on the Fuji X-T1 with a lens definite not designed for video [the older 35mm 1.4] - added stabilization in the software

Apologies for it not being a Canon M video but it's just an example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaAhG9eTUgo

Can't remember which magazine it was, but I seen one of them has Power director 16 for free on disc - I have this program and it's not too difficult to get along with. used to be about £60 or so, buying a £6 magazine doesn't seem a bad way to get it. I'm not great with video, very rarely ever touch it tbh. I can just about do a music track lay over and some light editing

This was the video I'd done a couple years back, was just testing the video on the Fuji X-T1 with a lens definite not designed for video [the older 35mm 1.4] - added stabilization in the software

Apologies for it not being a Canon M video but it's just an example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaAhG9eTUgo

Nice video keith.
I take it the magazine was for this month? Does that software support 4k?

Nice video keith.
I take it the magazine was for this month? Does that software support 4k?

Pretty sure it was last week I seen it in Tesco, and yup it does support 4K. That video above is just an old 1080p I shot using the XT1, that camera doesn't do 4K. But the cameras I've had since shoot 4K and I have dabbled some more, once you have a decent PC/Laptop it runs smooth enough. Expect some slow down if you're editing multiple 4K clips though - of course

Pretty sure it was last week I seen it in Tesco, and yup it does support 4K. That video above is just an old 1080p I shot using the XT1, that camera doesn't do 4K. But the cameras I've had since shoot 4K and I have dabbled some more, once you have a decent PC/Laptop it runs smooth enough. Expect some slow down if you're editing multiple 4K clips though - of course

Thanks again Keith, I shall have a look out for it.

Thinking of treating myself soon, have read some good reviews on the EF-M 32mm F/1.4 STM Lens.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks in advance
I've no experience of the lens, but I must admit I was a little skeptical of the M50.
However its very capable and ideal ( without spending a fortune as I already had a whole host of Canon lens's) for macro. Seeing that I was struggling with the much heavier 7DII.

Look forward to seeing results off it James. When do you get it?

Got it on the 29th - not had a chance to use it a great deal with it if I'm honest. Taken some test shots in JPEG as didn't have any software compatible with the CR3 files from it (except DPP4 which is like pulling teeth), but noticed today that Lightroom Classic and ACR 11.4.1 support it now so had a quick play with CR3 enabled and with my EF 50mm f/1.4 on it to see if the EF-M 15-45mm IS STM was a limiting factor, but it was really a bit dark in our lounge.

Compared to the 5D Mk3 its definitely suffers at higher ISO levels, but you'd expect that given such a high density APS-C sensor.

JPEG from camera, EF-M 15-45mm IS STM, edited from JPEG in Lightroom Classic 8.4.
ISO 200, f/9, 1/60th
Dl86z8I.jpg

CR3 shot, EF 50mm f/1.4, edited from CR3 in Lightroom Classic 8.4
ISO 1250, f/1.4, 1/160th
bgFXxAi.jpg

Would love to take it up to Castle Combe tomorrow to try vs. the 5D3 at the Autumn Classic racing, but don't think I've got the time.

Been using DSLRs (350D, 40D, 5D3) for the last 15 years or so though, so will take a bit of getting used to the handling.

Last edited:
It finally stopped raining So I thought I'd have a mooch around the garden.
Not much about Just a few web designers doing a few up-grades after all the rain.

M50 100mm Canon Macro lens & ring flash.

by Cobra, on Flickr

by Cobra, on Flickr

New EOSM6ii owner here :wave:

Anyone else have one yet..?

Got the kit lens and the EVF2

Aww nice, I've got the M6 with evf and be interested with your review of 6i

The lens I have just bought is one of these three, 30mm with the EF-M mount, this was secondhand. and can only be 2 months old at the most. It's razor sharp, even wide open at F1.4, highly recommended. I'd like to get my hands on the 56mm version next.

It is the 30mm I am interested in, will have to wait until early spring now though.

Back