Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I use an M50 with a Meike adapter for my canon macro lens.
I've been using this combo for just under a year, without problems.

The last couple of days, when I hit the shutter button everything shuts down.
The camera works fine with the M50 kit lens and the macro lens works fine with the 7DII.
So it seems the adapter is at fault.

The only thing I'm found on the net is that the contacts are subject to wearing quite easily on the adapter if you
keep swapping lens's.
I don't do that, but I do swap out an extension tube quite regularly, so I guess this maybe the problem.
Anyone else come across this?

Unfortunately the company I bought it from no longer trades, so there goes the warranty :(
I found another on Amazon for just over 20 quid (Meike again) that's quite a bit cheaper than the first,
so I'm happy to try a new one in the hope that it is just that.

At just over 100 quid, I thought the Canon one was a tad expensive, but maybe I should have gone for the dedicated one in the first place..

I had a proper adapter when I bought my original M and kept it when I sold the camera to buy the M5 which also came with one. I also bought a couple of Viltrox adapters off Ebay. I keep the 2 OEM ones on my 150-600mm Sport and 70-300mm L lenses and the 2 cheap ones on my 100mm L and MP-E65mm macro lenses.

As these are the only EF lenses I sometimes use on the M5 they just stay on all the time.

Lovely cormorant Mike
Must say I think my Pentax K-1 thread is busier than this one. :LOL:
Tis a bit quiet isn't it?
How about a few ants?
M50 100 mm is Macro lens 31mm extension tube and raynox 250 for the top 2 third no raynox

010.jpg

024.jpg006.jpg

Very Nice @Mike.P

I couldn't work out why these ants were taking so much notice of this little sedum flower, then I spotted the aphids :rolleyes:

123.jpg

Charming creature flies eh?

169.jpg

Had a bit of a Hoverfly moment this morning

I've not seen any for a few weeks now I guess the egg laying season has past.
Either that or my slaughtered by aphids honeysuckle is full?

A few flies
M50 + 100 mm IS macro + 31mm tube

029 by Cobra, on Flickr

019 by Cobra, on Flickr

076 by Cobra, on Flickr

Hi all, I am currently looking at going mirrorless and would rather stick to Canon as I already own a 7D MK1 and 5D MKIII, with plenty of glass including the 70-200 2.8L II & 100mm 2.8L. A couple of the models I am particularly interested in are the M50 / M6 MKIII, as I do want to do more wildlife, birding possibly some sporting shots. But using the mirrorless instead of my dated 7D. Could anyone if either of the above models are capable plus if either of them work well with the Kenko 2x & Kenko 2x teleconverters ?. Many thanks

I am particularly interested in are the M50 / M6 MKIII,
I have the M50 and use it purely for for macro as I was finding my gripped 7DII a bit heavy for close work.
I have stuck the 100-400 II & the 70-200 MKII on the front, but what you have to remember is, the body is quite light and the lens's makes it over balance,
Certianly with hand holding, if you see what I mean.

& Kenko 2x teleconverters
I'm pretty sure that the 2x will make it manual focus only, I know someone that used the 1.4 with no issues.
Also what you have to remember is you will need an adapter for it to take ef/s lens's
and that does slow the AF a little. you may find it a tad troublesome if you shoot birds in flight.

Depending on how deep your pockets are the EOS R / RP series have their own dedicated lens's
a 70-200 for example will set you back near on 2 grand.
And the cameras RP around £1300and the R near the 2 grand mark again.

Last edited:
I have the M50 and use it purely for for macro as I was finding my gripped 7DII a bit heavy for close work.
I have stuck the 100-400 II & the 70-200 MKII on the front, but what you have to remember is, the body is quite light and the lens's makes it over balance,
Certianly with hand holding, if you see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that the 2x will make it manual focus only, I know someone that used the 1.4 with no issues.
Also what you have to remember is you will need an adapter for it to take ef/s lens's
and that does slow the AF a little. you may find it a tad troublesome if you shoot birds in flight.

Depending on how deep your pockets are the EOS R / RP series have their own dedicated lens's
a 70-200 for example will set you back near on 2 grand.
And the cameras RP around £1300and the R near the 2 grand mark again.

Thank you Cobra, yes I was aware about making it over balance & thank you for the heads up on the teleconverters and the slight slow down with the adapter. Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep, which is Why I would prefer to use my current glass. Thankfully I can get a M6 MKII & RP for a little over £1,300, so quite tempting. I will do more research, thanks again for the reply.

BTW @Jwar1976
Have you seen this thread?
Its a long one but may help?

Last edited:
BTW @Jwar1976
Have you seen this thread?
Its a long one but may help?

Thank you Cobra yes I have seen that, there has been a opinion made that the M series cannot AF fast enough for wildlife and sports, so need to do more research on that.

Thank you Cobra yes I have seen that, there has been a opinion made that the M series cannot AF fast enough for wildlife and sports, so need to do more research on that.

Not sure that applies anymore, certainly did with the earlier models up to the M5 & M6 I guess, but with they came of age with the M50 and then took another leap forward with the M6 mk2. The frame rates are much better than the RP aswell.

Not sure that applies anymore, certainly did with the earlier models up to the M5 & M6 I guess, but with they came of age with the M50 and then took another leap forward with the M6 mk2. The frame rates are much better than the RP aswell.

i have been putting the M50 into the running as well, as while the M6 MKII doesn’t have the built in EVF, which isn’t a major deal breaker, I do understand that it does suffer with shutter shock, so will be putting that into the equation as well.

@Cobra have you seen the 28mm with 1:2 magnification and built in led flash for the M series ?. Looks brilliant

@Cobra have you seen the 28mm with 1:2 magnification and built in led flash for the M series ?. Looks brilliant
Indeed I have (y) but I always feel that anything less than 100mm is too short for macro. certainly for me.
My set up is Canon 100mm L is, macro lens a set of extension tubes, Raynox 250 & Canon MR -14EX ring flash.
Which I use in varying combinations, to attempt to get what I hope I can get :D

Last edited:
BTW @Jwar1976 This ( Aphid on Clematis) was taken yesterday, Canon M50 100 mm IS L lens 31mm extension tube and Canon MR-14 EX ring flash.

042.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed I have (y) but I always feel that anything less than 100mm is too short for macro. certainly for me.
My set up is Canon 100mm L is, macro lens a set of extension tubes, Raynox 250 & Canon MR -14EX ring flash.
Which I use in varying combinations, to attempt to get what I hope I can get :D

Your images are fantastic, but then not surprising as I remember your animal images when I first joined on here quite a few years back. But yes I know what you mean about the 100mm. I got some tubes as well now but didn’t even consider the Raynox on a crop, will have to dig my one out, as will be needing that when I get my M.

Your images are fantastic, but then not surprising as I remember your animal images
Thank you that's very kind of you to say (y)

but didn’t even consider the Raynox on a crop,
Obviously the DoF goes to hell well it does with the 250 anyway. so obviously your'll need good light to get the f/number up (y)
( sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs btw)

Thank you that's very kind of you to say (y)

Obviously the DoF goes to hell well it does with the 250 anyway. so obviously your'll need good light to get the f/number up (y)
( sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs btw)

No no not at all, macro is a completely new thing for me, I have always been interested in it, but until now I have felt guilty about using the 100mm 2.8L, as it was the last glass my late father purchased before he passed. But almost 4yrs has passed now & after being published numerous times, I am now ready for new challenges in Photography and that especially includes Macro.

I have always been interested in it, but until now I have felt guilty about using the 100mm 2.8L, as it was the last glass my late father purchased before he passed.
I'm sure he'd be happy to think you are getting use / pleasure from it (y)

and that especially includes Macro.
I've only "seriously" been doing it about 18 months or so, and a hell of a lot more since the lock down, and the zoo's closed.
A whole new world has opened up for me TBH.

My local zoo ( ZSL Whipsnade) is now open , like many others, but it'll be a while before I venture up there again, even though its around 600 acres.

I'm sure he'd be happy to think you are getting use / pleasure from it (y)

I've only "seriously" been doing it about 18 months or so, and a hell of a lot more since the lock down, and the zoo's closed.
A whole new world has opened up for me TBH.

My local zoo ( ZSL Whipsnade) is now open , like many others, but it'll be a while before I venture up there again, even though its around 600 acres.

Prior to lockdown, did you take the M50 to there at all & if so which glass did you use ?

Prior to lockdown, did you take the M50 to there at all & if so which glass did you use ?
No, its purely macro, I have a wide variety of plants and a pond that encourages "all sorts"
Some unwelcome ones too ;)

All my zoo stuff is gripped 7DII + 100-400 MKII or 70-200 2.8 MKII

As I mentioned above I did try the 2 "big" lens's on the M50 shooting birds in the back garden. But I found it a little unwieldy tbh,
due to the size / weight of the Len's v the M50's size / weight.

No, its purely macro, I have a wide variety of plants and a pond that encourages "all sorts"
Some unwelcome ones too ;)

All my zoo stuff is gripped 7DII + 100-400 MKII or 70-200 2.8 MKII

As I mentioned above I did try the 2 "big" lens's on the M50 shooting birds in the back garden. But I found it a little unwieldy tbh,
due to the size / weight of the Len's v the M50's size / weight.

Yes of course have heard that mentioned by a few people, whilst my Tamron 100-400 at weighs 1185g which is less than it’s Canon L counterpart, Must admit as the M would be used for zoos etc when going on holiday, something like the EF-M 55-200 would do nicely in most animal situations that are outside.

something like the EF-M 55-200 would do nicely in most animal situations that are outside.
I agree, being a much lighter lens it should work well.
I got the kit lens 15-45 with the camera, curiously it was cheaper with than without .. Go figure :thinking:

And that is a capable lens. I've used it for a snaps when I needed something wide (y)

So late last night I discovered some major confusion on the Tamron website, one part of the site states that my Tamron 100-400 isn’t compatible with the M series with the mount, but yet another part of the site states that it is compatible but they cannot guarantee performance. Anyone here have any idea ?.

Many thanks

So late last night I discovered some major confusion on the Tamron website, one part of the site states that my Tamron 100-400 isn’t compatible with the M series with the mount, but yet another part of the site states that it is compatible but they cannot guarantee performance. Anyone here have any idea ?.
No experience of that lens John, so can't help this time.

Few from this morning on the M5
Cracking landscape Mike (y)
( the others aren't bad either :D )

No experience of that lens John, so can't help this time.

Cracking landscape Mike (y)
( the others aren't bad either :D )

No worries Cobra, like Many things it us just a matter of trying, who knows it may actually work in the right conditions, but if not then I will just get a 70-300L for the M6 or other suitable extra long reach which doesn’t break my bank or my back.

New EOSM6ii owner here :wave:

Anyone else have one yet..?

Got the kit lens and the EVF2

I am seriously considering ordering one At the end of the month, it really is a toss up between the M50 & M6 MKII. The M50 I can pick up for £439 (Grey) plus cost of EF adapter and the M6 MKII for £609 (Grey) Plus cost of the EF adapter & EVF, so am probably looking at an extra £300, which means the price difference between the two models is that the M6 is going to be about £450 more than the M50, due to the cost of the EVF & mount adapte, which is a big ouch. I just need to weigh up if the pros of the M6 MKII are worth the extra notes For zoo visit, nature reserves and the odd sport like surfing / motocross etc.

How are you finding the M6 MKII now like battery life etc & M50 owners, how do you find battery life, is it as bad as what reviewers say ?

I am seriously considering ordering one At the end of the month, it really is a toss up between the M50 & M6 MKII. The M50 I can pick up for £439 (Grey) plus cost of EF adapter and the M6 MKII for £609 (Grey) Plus cost of the EF adapter & EVF, so am probably looking at an extra £300, which means the price difference between the two models is that the M6 is going to be about £450 more than the M50, due to the cost of the EVF & mount adapte, which is a big ouch. I just need to weigh up if the pros of the M6 MKII are worth the extra notes For zoo visit, nature reserves and the odd sport like surfing / motocross etc.

How are you finding the M6 MKII now like battery life etc & M50 owners, how do you find battery life, is it as bad as what reviewers say ?

You could reduce the costs even further with the lens adapter, as there are several third party versions which are much cheaper.
I have both a Canon original and one from Meike, of which I prefer the Meike version as the tripod foot is integrated and has a lower profile which makes it more comfortable to handhold. I would say though that the largest lens I have used with it is an EF-S 55-250, wether anything bigger/heavier would cause problems I couldn't say.

With regard the battery life, with the M50 I normally average between 500-700 shots. Thats often with the use of the bluetooth remote, but I dont use the wifi which can eat into the battery life.
Hope this is of some help.

nd one from Meike, of which I prefer the Meike version as the tripod foot is integrated and has a lower profile which makes it more comfortable to handhold.
I agree 100% on that (y) £25.90 on Amazon at the moment

with the M50 I normally average between 500-700 shots.
TBH I have never "counted" but the batteries are cheap enough
I've been using "Neewer" batteries for awhile now, both in the M50 & the 7DII
with no issues
2 M50 Batteries + a double charger £27.99

Last edited:
You could reduce the costs even further with the lens adapter, as there are several third party versions which are much cheaper.
I have both a Canon original and one from Meike, of which I prefer the Meike version as the tripod foot is integrated and has a lower profile which makes it more comfortable to handhold. I would say though that the largest lens I have used with it is an EF-S 55-250, wether anything bigger/heavier would cause problems I couldn't say.

With regard the battery life, with the M50 I normally average between 500-700 shots. Thats often with the use of the bluetooth remote, but I dont use the wifi which can eat into the battery life.
Hope this is of some help.

That is extremely useful to know thank you @Steve B In all honesty the heaviest lens that I will be using on it is the Tamron 100-400 (1135g) which today thanks to Flickr, I found does work on the M50, even tho Tamron doesn’t list it as being compatible, but will do more research on the adapter and see if it can handle it or if I need to use the official one.

I agree 100% on that (y) £25.90 on Amazon at the moment

TBH I have never "counted" but the batteries are cheap enough
I've been using "Neewer" batteries for awhile now, both in the M50 & the 7DII
with no issues
2 M50 Batteries + a double charger

Thank you ever do much for the links @Cobra I will take a look.

I use the meike adaptor on my M5 and have no issues at all with it. I don't use particularly heavy lenses (55-250 + 18-135) but it performs perfectly so far.

Back