Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Some randoms, see @RedRobin I dont hate Canon ;)

An impressive little camera, glad a lot of people avoided it and drove the price down, complete bargain and adapted lenses are VERY good, Im pleasantly surprised... honestly, miles better than Sony adapted.

Wow those are fantastic images, it took me awhile to find them as have been lurking today trying to find images from users of the RP, instead of the typical review critic. while I am not a mirrorless owner yet. I decided in the last few days that I would make the jump to mirrorless to not only give my beloved 5D MKIII & 7D a break but also my back as carrying around 2 bodies and lenses can be a killer especially when on holiday. So I made a short list and thought that I would only be interested in a M mount, however having seen what the RP can do, that is currently leading the race.

Could RP users please comment On their own personal experiences especially if you have taken the RP to a Zoo or Nature Reserve, like with quality using the crop mode and also things like Bird in flight etc, like if things have changed via firmware upgrades since original reviewers posted their thoughts Including battery life for stills only.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Lovely shot. Did you use eye tracking or face detection? How do you find the performance of this lens with the EOS RP in terms of focusing accuracy and precision? Does the Eye detect and tracking performs well? Is it slow or fast?

Thanks.

many thanks. yes i use the eye tracking for portraiture. if it can't detect an eye it'll change to face tracking. since the firmware updates its been brilliant. i have no hesitation using adapted lenses with the R/RP. Canon nailed it with the adapter.

the general af is very good. the eye af is behind Sony, but not by much and it never leaves me feeling that im missing out. my only gripe with this camera is the FPS when in tracking. it drops to around 3FPS which is sadly quite poor in this day and age.

many thanks. yes i use the eye tracking for portraiture. if it can't detect an eye it'll change to face tracking. since the firmware updates its been brilliant. i have no hesitation using adapted lenses with the R/RP. Canon nailed it with the adapter.

the general af is very good. the eye af is behind Sony, but not by much and it never leaves me feeling that im missing out. my only gripe with this camera is the FPS when in tracking. it drops to around 3FPS which is sadly quite poor in this day and age.

Cheers. Sounds good. I am hoping that, with the release of R6 and R5, they can release also at some point a firmware update to improve further the AF tracking either the eye or face to at least be very close to the Sony.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers. Sounds good. I am hoping that, with the release of R6 and R5, they can release also at some point a firmware update to improve further the AF tracking either the eye or face to at least be very close to the Sony.

Thanks for the feedback.

its very close to sony, don't get me wrong. its also better than what ive experienced with fuji.

snapped while out fruit picking.
RF35MM on RP

1-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Wow that is brilliant, it is shots like these that now put the RP back in the running of my next body. For the last few days I have been doing so much searching on mirrorless systems as my 5D MKIII & 7D MKI, have added so much weight to my kitbag along with all my glass. So really want to get mirrorless in the next month or so and do have a preference of Canon. So have been looking at the M series plus the R & RP. Main lenses I use are the Tamron 24-70 G2, Tamron 100-400, Canon 70-200 II 2.8L, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Samyang 14mm MF. Kenko 2x & 1,4x TC.

Can anyone answer the following questions

(1) How well do the Kenko extensions work mainly with L glass on the R / RP ?
(2) Since the firmware upgrade is the RP powerful enough for birds in flight
(3) How good is the Crop mode on the RP, I understand that the quality drops to something like 10mp, but are images of decent quality ?

Many thanks

Wow that is brilliant, it is shots like these that now put the RP back in the running of my next body. For the last few days I have been doing so much searching on mirrorless systems as my 5D MKIII & 7D MKI, have added so much weight to my kitbag along with all my glass. So really want to get mirrorless in the next month or so and do have a preference of Canon. So have been looking at the M series plus the R & RP. Main lenses I use are the Tamron 24-70 G2, Tamron 100-400, Canon 70-200 II 2.8L, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Samyang 14mm MF. Kenko 2x & 1,4x TC.

Can anyone answer the following questions

(1) How well do the Kenko extensions work mainly with L glass on the R / RP ?
(2) Since the firmware upgrade is the RP powerful enough for birds in flight
(3) How good is the Crop mode on the RP, I understand that the quality drops to something like 10mp, but are images of decent quality ?

Many thanks

Thank you :)

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions as 1, I don't have extension tubes (although they are in my amazon basket).

2, birds is flight, I think it may struggle as the fps let's it down. Its meant to be 5fps but it seems more like 3-4 in my experience.

3, I've not used the crop mode either I'm afraid.

What I can say is its a lovely little camera. The af is really good, lovely image quality straight out of camera. It will be hard to use anything other than a fully articulating touch screen. I've got a bunch of EF lenses and they all work really well.

Sorry I couldn't answer your specific questions.

Thank you :)

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions as 1, I don't have extension tubes (although they are in my amazon basket).

2, birds is flight, I think it may struggle as the fps let's it down. Its meant to be 5fps but it seems more like 3-4 in my experience.

3, I've not used the crop mode either I'm afraid.

What I can say is its a lovely little camera. The af is really good, lovely image quality straight out of camera. It will be hard to use anything other than a fully articulating touch screen. I've got a bunch of EF lenses and they all work really well.

Sorry I couldn't answer your specific questions.

No problem at all I appreciate the reply, I will continue to do research. What could be a good combination is a M series like the M50 / M6 MKII for the fast moving stuff and the RP for the Full Frame Stuff. Would cost about £1300 for both if I go to my usual supplier.

No problem at all I appreciate the reply, I will continue to do research. What could be a good combination is a M series like the M50 / M6 MKII for the fast moving stuff and the RP for the Full Frame Stuff. Would cost about £1300 for both if I go to my usual supplier.

I dont think the APSC cameras will be any faster than an RP in terms of AF, both @addicknchips and I come from what are arguably the fastest AF MILC cameras the A7iii and A9 and we both regard the RP as excellent (or we wouldnt keep them because we dont hang onto cameras we dont like), its great EF lenses behave like they do natively on a DSLR with the added benefit of OSPDAF. As he said though, the only real thing letting it down is the FPS, AFC youre looking at 4 FPS, AFS 5FPS. Battery life is well under rated, I get nearly 1000 shots and still have juice left.

4K youll get a big crop, looks like theres a new speedbooster which eliminates it or shoot EFS ultra wides like the 10-18 for wider stuff.

Crop mode is fine, its just a drop in MP. IQ is still great.

The fully articulating LCD is really nice, more manufacturers should do it, ergonomics are also great.

I dont think the APSC cameras will be any faster than an RP in terms of AF, both @addicknchips and I come from what are arguably the fastest AF MILC cameras the A7iii and A9 and we both regard the RP as excellent (or we wouldnt keep them because we dont hang onto cameras we dont like), its great EF lenses behave like they do natively on a DSLR with the added benefit of OSPDAF. As he said though, the only real thing letting it down is the FPS, AFC youre looking at 4 FPS, AFS 5FPS. Battery life is well under rated, I get nearly 1000 shots and still have juice left.

4K youll get a big crop, looks like theres a new speedbooster which eliminates it or shoot EFS ultra wides like the 10-18 for wider stuff.

Crop mode is fine, its just a drop in MP. IQ is still great.

The fully articulating LCD is really nice, more manufacturers should do it, ergonomics are also great.

Thanks for the reply Twist, i will do more research on the AF of the APS-C bodies for BIF and motor sports and see how they compare to the 7D. Funny enough I was looking at the Sony’s but because the Metabones adapters are hit n miss. Great to hear about the battery tho as I was considering the R due to it using the same battery as the 7D & 5D, for which I have plenty of. I am not too bothered about the video side of things as very rarely record video. So the only crop I was interested in was say when using the 70-200 2.8L with the 1.4x or 2x extender, then if I need further reach then use the 1.6x crop. Thanks again for the reply it is much appreciate.

Thanks for the reply Twist, i will do more research on the AF of the APS-C bodies for BIF and motor sports and see how they compare to the 7D. Funny enough I was looking at the Sony’s but because the Metabones adapters are hit n miss. Great to hear about the battery tho as I was considering the R due to it using the same battery as the 7D & 5D, for which I have plenty of. I am not too bothered about the video side of things as very rarely record video. So the only crop I was interested in was say when using the 70-200 2.8L with the 1.4x or 2x extender, then if I need further reach then use the 1.6x crop. Thanks again for the reply it is much appreciate.

Be careful of switching for the wrong reasons, size and weight, not much in it, because FF is FF (especially if you adapt and dont go all out), good optics are big and heavy, bodies only really offer a slight weight benefit... you could be side grading or worse off.

Last edited:
Be careful of switching for the wrong reasons, size and weight, not much in it, because FF is FF (especially if you adapt and dont go all out), good optics are big and heavy, bodies only really offer a slight weight benefit... you could be side grading or worse off.

You make a very good point there Twist, I think what I will do is get a M mount to begin with and see how I get along with Mirrorless to replace my fading 7D. Then if I get hooked and wish to have a FF mirrorless then I can look into it further. Thanks again.

The RP and that 35 1.8 seem like an ideal set up fpr me, if only that camera had IBIS :/ Reckon I could get away with 80% of my style of shooting with just that set up and I like that affordable/cheap EF lenses are just about native

The RP and that 35 1.8 seem like an ideal set up fpr me, if only that camera had IBIS :/ Reckon I could get away with 80% of my style of shooting with just that set up and I like that affordable/cheap EF lenses are just about native

The rf 35 has IS so no need for ibis with that setup

The rf 35 has IS so no need for ibis with that setup

Good point! The only other thing is that the low light performance of the RP seems slightly worse than the better APSC sensors [like the X-H1 I own, or say SOny A6**** series]

Good point! The only other thing is that the low light performance of the RP seems slightly worse than the better APSC sensors [like the X-H1 I own, or say SOny A6**** series]
in the real world though, is it going to impact the shot the result?

Mate, the overall focus system is much better than those.

Mate, the overall focus system is much better than those.

The AF is miles better than the XH1.

To put the noise performance into perspective... and remember Fujis ISO is 2/3 stop out at high ISO in comparison to Bayer sensors. I also added the Sony a9.

Look at the detail retention in the Canon file.

rp2.JPG

Last edited:
Speedy AF is low on my list, half the time I'm shooting MF, and I never shoot at very high ISO - 6400 is my max. I have seen comparisons showing Fuji having better DR than Canon ML. I know the H1 is excellent in this dept, often pushed files significantly in post with pleasing results. If the RP is even on par that would do the job. I wouldn't mind trying the RP, and I know it's not a major deal but I think I'd miss Ibis when using other lenses. But that 35 1.8 does look sweet

Speedy AF is low on my list, half the time I'm shooting MF, and I never shoot at very high ISO - 6400 is my max. I have seen comparisons showing Fuji having better DR than Canon ML. I know the H1 is excellent in this dept, often pushed files significantly in post with pleasing results. If the RP is even on par that would do the job. I wouldn't mind trying the RP, and I know it's not a major deal but I think I'd miss Ibis when using other lenses. But that 35 1.8 does look sweet

why do you not take advantage of the canon test drive and try the RP and 35mm if available? While I barley use mine, I know it’s bripliant. Just prefer slightly odder models at the moment, like the old Kodak slrs etc

why do you not take advantage of the canon test drive and try the RP and 35mm if available? While I barley use mine, I know it’s bripliant. Just prefer slightly odder models at the moment, like the old Kodak slrs etc

Don't you have to put down a sizeable security deposit? I'll be honest, I just couldn't spare cash for that right now. You own the RP and the 35 1.8? want an X-H1 for trade? :p

Don't you have to put down a sizeable security deposit? I'll be honest, I just couldn't spare cash for that right now. You own the RP and the 35 1.8? want an X-H1 for trade? :p
You do, however you could use a credit card to fund since it's completed within 30 days, so not going to charge interest (unless you have a zero percent one). I've not got the 35mm though, but I keep an eye on the gray market versions! Right now, I find the EF 50mm 1.4 pretty nice! Not quite sure on a Fuji trade, I've got enough systems now with Micro 4/3, Nikon F, Canon and Nikon 1!!

Would you be able to get some cash together and rent one, was just looking and noticed that lens for hire will allow you to hire the RP for 1 week with mount adapter for £148 and the 35mm F1.8 lens for £40, also for a week. I have never dealt with them personally but some good friends of mine swear by them as a brilliant company.

Canon have a product launch live stream set to begin at 1pm UK on Thursday.

Canon cameras to be announced:

• Canon EOS R5
  • Canon EOS R6
Canon Accessories:

• Canon WFT-R10 (A/B/C/D/E)
  • Canon BG-R10
  • Canon LP-E6NH
Canon Lenses:

• Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
  • Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM
  • Canon RF 600mm f/11
  • Canon RF 800mm f/11
  • Canon RF 1.4x Teleconverter
  • Canon RF 2x Teleconverter

Canon Lens Accessories:

• Canon Lens Hood ET-101
  • Canon Lens Hood ET-88B
  • Canon Lens Hood ET-77
  • Canon Lens Case LZ1328
  • Canon Lens Case LZ1435
  • Extender lens cap RF

Canon Printers:

• A new A3+ Printer

Would you be able to get some cash together and rent one, was just looking and noticed that lens for hire will allow you to hire the RP for 1 week with mount adapter for £148 and the 35mm F1.8 lens for £40, also for a week. I have never dealt with them personally but some good friends of mine swear by them as a brilliant company.

Wow, I might start a camera rental business then during my time off, this could be a winner! !

The AF is miles better than the XH1.

To put the noise performance into perspective... and remember Fujis ISO is 2/3 stop out at high ISO in comparison to Bayer sensors. I also added the Sony a9.

Look at the detail retention in the Canon file.

View attachment 285351

I still barely see any improvement with the top of the range A9 that people go on about so much for having such a cutting edge sensor and the RP gets a bit of a beating for its sensor and tech!

Canon have a product launch live stream set to begin at 1pm UK on Thursday.

Canon cameras to be announced:

• Canon EOS R5
  • Canon EOS R6
Canon Accessories:

• Canon WFT-R10 (A/B/C/D/E)
  • Canon BG-R10
  • Canon LP-E6NH
Canon Lenses:

• Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
  • Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM
  • Canon RF 600mm f/11
  • Canon RF 800mm f/11
  • Canon RF 1.4x Teleconverter
  • Canon RF 2x Teleconverter

Canon Lens Accessories:

• Canon Lens Hood ET-101
  • Canon Lens Hood ET-88B
  • Canon Lens Hood ET-77
  • Canon Lens Case LZ1328
  • Canon Lens Case LZ1435
  • Extender lens cap RF

Canon Printers:

• A new A3+ Printer

ive registered to tune into this. i wonder how the 85mm will be priced. i did read somewhere that the teleconverters will not all the rp lenses, but im not sure if thats true or not.

Whilst the specs have been revealed, I am really looking forward in seeing the stream on Thursday. Whilst the RP isn’t ideal for wildlife, I have seen some amazing bird pictures taken with it including humming birds. So results are possible with it, but just takes practice, with that in mind I am thinking that a combination of say the M6 MKII for wildlife and sports, and the RP for Photoshoots & Landscapes. While my 14mm wide angle lens is only MF, it does produce some brilliant results on FF.

I am used to carrying both my 5D MK3 & 7D around with me, so having the combination of RP & M when away from home, without having to buy so many new lenses for the M.

Back