Canon EOS R Series Cameras

.... And pray what is the point of comparing the price of the latest Canon R5, which in fact to date is still unknown, with a used camera such as a Sony A9?

Don't you know that ALL camera brands drop substantially in price when secondhand or used?

Besides which, Sony lenses aren't exactly cheap as chips are they and a camera is no good without a decent lens.

Are you by any chance a Sony shooter?

But there are more cheaper native lenses available on Sony :)

.... And pray what is the point of comparing the price of the latest Canon R5, which in fact to date is still unknown, with a used camera such as a Sony A9?

Don't you know that ALL camera brands drop substantially in price when secondhand or used?

Besides which, Sony lenses aren't exactly cheap as chips are they and a camera is no good without a decent lens.

Are you by any chance a Sony shooter?

Well, you said sophisticated cameras come at a cost, of course they do but high FPS, silent shooting, eye af is old news to Sony users and those headline canon features come cheap these days, as a stills shooter the R5 isn't that impressive and a grey new a9 is 2200. Sony lenses are priced similarly to the dslr equivalent.

FYI, I shoot with everything but you must be a canon shooter. It will be interesting to see where the R5 comes in terms of cost, but looking at the price of a 1dx3 it's not likely to be cheap.

Last edited:
I’ve moved back to Canon (currently a 6D) from Sony, simply because the Sony ecosystem while fantastic, is also bloody expensive, and I simply can’t justify spending that much on gear, especially at the moment.

What I’m shooting with now (6D and 3 lenses) cost me less than the price of a new A7iii body!

The 6D is surprisingly good, but I do find myself missing mirrorless (the EVF and AF in particular ) and I’m contemplating moving to an RP when my finances are a little more stable.

I’m curious though as to how non native glass works with the adapter as if I did make the love to RP I would be keeping my current lenses (Canon 17-40 and 70-200 F4, and Tamron 24-70 VC G1).

I know the Canon glass should be fine, but does anyone have experience of the likes of the Tamron with the adapter?

Well, you said sophisticated cameras come at a cost, of course they do but high FPS, silent shooting, eye af is old news to Sony users and those headline canon features come cheap these days, as a stills shooter the R5 isn't that impressive and a grey new a9 is 2200. Sony lenses are priced similarly to the dslr equivalent.

FYI, I shoot with everything but you must be a canon shooter. It will be interesting to see where the R5 comes in terms of cost, but looking at the price of a 1dx3 it's not likely to be cheap.

.... No, I am no longer a Canon shooter. As I said before, the EOS R5 won't be cheap as chips but why should it be? It has a very attractive spec.... to Canon users.... This is a Canon EOS-R series discussion thread.

It's academic if some features are "old news to Sony users" if someone is a Canon shooter. You buy camera systems and choose the one which suits your individual needs best. I don't like Sony cameras anyway - Regardless of their excellent technology I find them the most physically uncomfortable cameras I have ever handled in over 50 years of photography.

Continually changing systems isn't going to make you a better photographer and if you are someone who is led by cost, then collecting different camera systems is probably the most expensive roadmap you could possibly choose to be on.

.... No, I am no longer a Canon shooter. As I said before, the EOS R5 won't be cheap as chips but why should it be? It has a very attractive spec.... to Canon users.... This is a Canon EOS-R series discussion thread.

It's academic if some features are "old news to Sony users" if someone is a Canon shooter. You buy camera systems and choose the one which suits your individual needs best. I don't like Sony cameras anyway - Regardless of their excellent technology I find them the most physically uncomfortable cameras I have ever handled in over 50 years of photography.

Continually changing systems isn't going to make you a better photographer and if you are someone who is led by cost, then collecting different camera systems is probably the most expensive roadmap you could possibly choose to be on.

Not really, Sony wouldnt be doing as well as they are if Canikon users werent moving over.

No, it doesnt but its as much a hobby as taking photos, I enjoy using new technology. Actually, over the years Ive lost very little, in some cases the cost of cameras and lenses increase while I own them.

Last edited:
Not really, Sony wouldnt be doing as well as they are if Canikon users werent moving over.

No, it doesnt but its as much a hobby as taking photos, I enjoy using new technology. Actually, over the years Ive lost very little, in some cases the cost of cameras and lenses increase while I own them.

.... I really don't care two figs which brands are doing better than the others or not financially.

If someone's hobby is collecting cameras that's fine - Each to their own.

But the point here is that THIS DISCUSSION THREAD IS TO DISCUSS THE CANON EOS R SYSTEM.

If you want to discuss Sony or other brands then do so in the appropriate thread and if you want a different kind of discussion then start your own thread.

Last edited:
.... I really don't care two figs which brands are doing better than the others or not financially.

If someone's hobby is collecting cameras that's fine - Each to their own.

But the point here is that THIS DISCUSSION THREAD IS TO DISCUSS THE CANON EOS R SYSTEM. If you want to discuss Sony or other brands then do so in the appropriate thread and if you want a different kind of discussion then start your own thread.

I dont collect, I buy, use for a few thousand actuations, sell, try something new. Exactly, each to their own.

You seem to be getting very uptight, you responded to my OP and brought up Olympus from a cost POV and I talked about Sony, yet you have an issue with that. This is a photography equipment section, people will compare one camera against another. So take your own advice.

I dont collect, I buy, use for a few thousand actuations, sell, try something new. Exactly, each to their own.

You seem to be getting very uptight, you responded to my OP and brought up Olympus from a cost POV and I talked about Sony, yet you have an issue with that. This is a photography equipment section, people will compare one camera against another. So take your own advice.
Well said.

I’ve moved back to Canon (currently a 6D) from Sony, simply because the Sony ecosystem while fantastic, is also bloody expensive, and I simply can’t justify spending that much on gear, especially at the moment.

What I’m shooting with now (6D and 3 lenses) cost me less than the price of a new A7iii body!

The 6D is surprisingly good, but I do find myself missing mirrorless (the EVF and AF in particular ) and I’m contemplating moving to an RP when my finances are a little more stable.

I’m curious though as to how non native glass works with the adapter as if I did make the love to RP I would be keeping my current lenses (Canon 17-40 and 70-200 F4, and Tamron 24-70 VC G1).

I know the Canon glass should be fine, but does anyone have experience of the likes of the Tamron with the adapter?

I've used the tamron g2 24-70 and it seemed to perform without any issues.
Also sigma 105 f2.8 macro was fine. Had to turn off lens optimization setting though

Longest I used was the 135mm f2 prime. Worked great.

The other concern you should probably have is the fps. Drops below 5 when tracking

actually I can work with 4-5fps. I imagine R5 will do at least that much considering its capable of shooting 8k 30fps.
Assuming they don't have a issue with dynamic range and if tele-lenses (talking 600mm-ish) adapt well then I might look to swap systems.

I wonder how well telephoto lenses work adapted. That's my main concern.

.... I have taken hundreds (thousands!) of shots on the EOS-R with various adapted (Control Ring version) EF lenses mounted - EF 500mm F/4L II + either x1.4 or x2 (version III's), EF 100-400mm L II, and EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro plus other EF lenses.

Please judge for yourself by viewing some of my Flickr Albums :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums

HTH

.... I have taken hundreds (thousands!) of shots on the EOS-R with various adapted (Control Ring version) EF lenses mounted - EF 500mm F/4L II + either x1.4 or x2 (version III's), EF 100-400mm L II, and EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro plus other EF lenses.

Please judge for yourself by viewing some of my Flickr Albums :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums

HTH

what is the tracking performance like?

Performance is as per EOS-R should be, no cripple hammer applied on the adapted Canon EF lenses. Tried EOS-R + EF-RF + EF 2x + 600mm III ... performance as expected very Canon and very predictable, not Sony level at this point at all.

R5 is a completely different camera on its own, so until it is released and tested no one knows.

More like your the fanboy.. Me and @twist have used more than Sony gear for our needs and open to change unlike you

.... Over the last 40 years I have used Nikon, Sony, Canon, and now Olympus and so I am open to change but am not one of those who chase the latest gear for the sake of it or spend their time arguing about specs - I prefer to go out and actually shoot pictures.

It takes months rather than just weeks to really get to know the camera in your hand to the extent where it all becomes fluid, especially as modern digital cameras are so feature loaded.

I am a fanboy of whichever camera system I have bought into and always have been. Currently it's Olympus but out of respect for others in this subject-specific thread I don't whine on about or claim that Olympus is better than Canon. I could do so quite easily but it would only be in the context of my individual and specific needs - Each of us have our own needs and preferences.

Based on actual Canon EOS-R experience have you ever contributed anything positive to this thread? - I don't recall so.

Performance is as per EOS-R should be, no cripple hammer applied on the adapted Canon EF lenses. Tried EOS-R + EF-RF + EF 2x + 600mm III ... performance as expected very Canon and very predictable, not Sony level at this point at all.

R5 is a completely different camera on its own, so until it is released and tested no one knows.

.... I second what Robin (Lee) has said.

I used my EOS-R alongside my 1DX-2 on mostly EF adapted lenses and I expected to feel the fps burst difference very dramatically but you quickly get immersed in capturing the image and not overthinking performance. I have always shot with two bodies (now identical Olympus E-M1X Pro) to save lens swapping time loss and risk.

The speed of tracking etc which some people like to study is not really a serious issue in my opinion.

It's a matter of managing your expectations as no camera is perfect, not even Sony! :D

.... Over the last 40 years I have used Nikon, Sony, Canon, and now Olympus and so I am open to change but am not one of those who chase the latest gear for the sake of it or spend their time arguing about specs - I prefer to go out and actually shoot pictures.

It takes months rather than just weeks to really get to know the camera in your hand to the extent where it all becomes fluid, especially as modern digital cameras are so feature loaded.

I am a fanboy of whichever camera system I have bought into and always have been. Currently it's Olympus but out of respect for others in this subject-specific thread I don't whine on about or claim that Olympus is better than Canon. I could do so quite easily but it would only be in the context of my individual and specific needs - Each of us have our own needs and preferences.

Based on actual Canon EOS-R experience have you ever contributed anything positive to this thread? - I don't recall so.
I'm not a fanboy at all. It's just a tool lol

Those tiny shirts

Them huuuuge guns lol ... I think he wears the shirts 2 sizes too small to make himself appear beefier.

Fun side fact: He once critiqued one of my images, a portrait of my daughter, and had nothing but good things to say! so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh, but he did become very irritating over time

Them huuuuge guns lol ... I think he wears the shirts 2 sizes too small to make himself appear beefier.

Fun side fact: He once critiqued one of my images, a portrait of my daughter, and had nothing but good things to say! so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh, but he did become very irritating over time

He's only 5 foot 5

I watch him not for his ego (y)

If it entertains you, all good :) But I want to punch him 17 times in the face whenever I watch one of his later vids. The guy he hired as his right hand man is equally as irritating

Back