Canon EOS R Series Cameras

By the way, @StewartR, unfortunately at the moment the Control Ring does not offer the option to set exposure compensation, or is that different on non-EF/RF lenses?
Really? May I refer you to page 560 of the EOS R Advanced User Guide?

upload_2018-12-30_13-50-12.png

Obviously the capabilities of the control ring are determined by the camera and the firmware, and in the long run we may see some differentiation here: higher-end cameras might offer more options for things that the control ring can do. But for now, the EOS R is all we have and it offers exposure compensation as one of the options.

Rob
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your last post. My control ring is set to exposure compensation and that is on my canon EF 17 - 40.

Really? May I refer you to page 560 of the EOS R Advanced User Guide?

Obviously the capabilities of the control ring are determined by the camera and the firmware, and in the long run we may see some differentiation here: higher-end cameras might offer more options for things that the control ring can do. But for now, the EOS R is all we have and it offers exposure compensation as one of the options.

.... Ooops, I had tried finding exposure compensation while my EF 500mm was mounted and somehow I missed it! I was and still am set to Manual-mode for shooting.

Thanks for correcting me - I best edit my earlier post so as not to misinform.

Rob
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your last post. My control ring is set to exposure compensation and that is on my canon EF 17 - 40.

.... It's me who needs forgiving - I missed seeing the setting.

I have my Control Ring set to ISO so I have full manual control. I rarely use exposure compensation and especially now that mirrorless offers WYSIWYG and the histogram in the EVF. I wish my 1DX-2 offered that!

COLOURFUL STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I have been trying out my Canon 2x III Extender on my 100-400mm L II mounted on my EOS R and am quite impressed with its performance at ISO 8000 on a cloudy day. Obviously I have post-processed the image but it has to be good enough in the first place. I only shoot RAW and nearly always Manual-mode.

The really great thing I like about using the R is the WYSIWYG while you are shooting.

Last edited:
I watched a great review on youtube (sorry cant find it at the mo) comparing the Canon R, Nikon Z7 and Sony A7.

The sum up was the Sony is still currently the best all round camera

Last edited:
I watched a great review on youtube (soory cant find it at the mo) comparing the Canon R, Nikon Z7 and Sony A7.

The sum up was the Sony is currently the best all round camera

.... Which is 'the best' camera is entirely subjective and depends on a number of factors and also regarding what subjects each individual photographer shoots and also if he/she has already invested in a camera system of bodies and lenses (Canon EOS system for example).

Please let's not start a never ending discussion about which camera is 'best' - This thread was started to get away from such arguments which were happening in another thread about the Canon EOS R.

.... Which is 'the best' camera is entirely subjective and depends on a number of factors and also regarding what subjects each individual photographer shoots and also if he/she has already invested in a camera system of bodies and lenses (Canon EOS system for example).

Please let's not start a never ending discussion about which camera is 'best' - This thread was started to get away from such arguments which were happening in another thread about the Canon EOS R.
That’s a very valid point, duly noted

Trying to get as much work done now as have my R being delivered this morning! May not get anything else done this afternoon/tomorrow/next week!!!!

Trying to get as much work done now as have my R being delivered this morning! May not get anything else done this afternoon/tomorrow/next week!!!!

.... Your weekend starts NOW ! I hope the light is good for you.

RF lens? Which EF adapter?

Canon's EOS R roadmap news published 8th January :

Interview with Yoshiyuki Mizoguchi, Group Executive, ICB Products Group, Image Communication Business Operations at Canon Inc. Mizoguchi-san is the top product-planning executive within Canon, Inc. responsible for planning their camera offerings. As such, he's the person who'll know where Canon is and where they're going with the EOS R line, and what the reasons were for their initial body and lens offerings.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...anon-going-with-the-eos-r-do-they-have-a-plan

You can stick your fingers in your ears, sing lalalala and ask anyone mentioning the competition not to if you want but hopefully adults can take the information available and consider the positives and negatives to make informed decisions rather than resorting to argument or being asked ever so politely not to mention any competition.

A thread that's exclusively Canon and excludes any and all comparisons to competition is IMO of limited use to anyone not already irrevocably and forever tied in to Canons eco system.

You can stick your fingers in your ears, sing lalalala and ask anyone mentioning the competition not to if you want but hopefully adults can take the information available and consider the positives and negatives to make informed decisions rather than resorting to argument or being asked ever so politely not to mention any competition.

A thread that's exclusively Canon and excludes any and all comparisons to competition is IMO of limited use to anyone not already irrevocably and forever tied in to Canons eco system.

Oh look, a Phony user pushing on the door to see how much pushback he gets. I suppose it was only a matter of time. We had enough of this on the last thread about the Canon EOS R. There are plenty of other places to get comparisons if that what you want.

Why can't you people just get lost and leave this thread to be about the EOS R.

Regards...

If you have some useful comparison to make which adds to the discussion or reveals something people aren't widely aware of then yes that's probably valid but this just looks like baiting.

.... As Steven @Finste points out :

Oh look, a Phony user pushing on the door to see how much pushback he gets. I suppose it was only a matter of time. We had enough of this on the last thread about the Canon EOS R. There are plenty of other places to get comparisons if that what you want.

Why can't you people just get lost and leave this thread to be about the EOS R.

Regards...

.... Which, Alan, is exactly the reason this thread started! Do you have an EOS R Alan? Are you seriously considering buying one? Why not go back and post in the other thread if you want to delve into comparisons with other brands?

No-one here is saying that Canon EOS R is 'better' than brand xyz but this is a thread dedicated to help people by sharing information very specifically about the EOS R and how it fits into the EOS system.

If this thread is "of limited use" to you Alan, then don't bother reading it and unsubscribe from it.

If you have some useful comparison to make which adds to the discussion or reveals something people aren't widely aware of then yes that's probably valid but this just looks like baiting.

.... Exactly.

No lenses yet, just body and the standard ef adapter. It is a cautious step!

This is going to take a bit of getting used to!!!

.... I think I can speak for everyone when I say that all of us here who have been shooting with EF lenses on the EOS R have found both performance and image quality totally unimpaired. Reports by photographers elsewhere on the interwebbynet confirm the same. I have been able to make direct comparisons shooting with EF lenses ranging from 40mm pancake to 500mm plus Extenders with my 1DX-2 and am impressed by the EOS R in this respect.

The features of mirrorless are different from D-SLR but all photography comes down to the same basics and the R is just a machine which offers you a slightly different approach and lots and lots and lots of customisable options. Just explore and shoot shoot shoot.

Which camera/body have you come from using?

Has anyone got any recommendations for a 3rd party L bracket for the R?

.... Apart from recommendations you might receive here on TP, if you are on Facebook there is a good group with more user traffic where someone might be able to help if you ask there :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/421157698288581/

Otherwise, Google is your friend. Folks here would probably value your post if/when you find one.

I hope this helps.

.... I think I can speak for everyone when I say that all of us here who have been shooting with EF lenses on the EOS R have found both performance and image quality totally unimpaired. Reports by photographers elsewhere on the interwebbynet confirm the same. I have been able to make direct comparisons shooting with EF lenses ranging from 40mm pancake to 500mm plus Extenders with my 1DX-2 and am impressed by the EOS R in this respect.

The features of mirrorless are different from D-SLR but all photography comes down to the same basics and the R is just a machine which offers you a slightly different approach and lots and lots and lots of customisable options. Just explore and shoot shoot shoot.

Which camera/body have you come from using?

77d, which I got to know every button and function as an instinct! I know I will eventually get used to it, but feel a bit lost at the moment!

I was trying to get some info on if shooting a welder was possible. I have done this with the 77d because the sensor is only open for a tiny amount of time, but would the snot be possible with the R because the sensor is always working?
weld.jpg

Has anyone got any recommendations for a 3rd party L bracket for the R?

.... Further to my previous reply to you, I came across this while on the Wex website. Not cheap [says Robin who bought a mega expensive Really Right Stuff 2-part L-bracket for his 1DX-2] but Kirk are a well thought of brand.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/kirk-bl-r-l-bracket-for-canon-eos-r-1683992/

It depends how far you want to go and if you have a budget but the RRS L-brackets are in quick-and-easy 2 parts and also integrate an Allen key magnetically - Very clever and very high standard gear. Available from Holland (easier than from USA).

Another cheaper option and if you phone Wex 01603 486413 Option 3 they will advise without hard selling you anything. They'll tell you if it fits the R. Please let us know if you get any answers.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/3-legged-thing-qr11-lg-l-bracket-1631381/

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. Sunwayfoto do one at about £50. I have one for my 1DX and it is fine. It actually fits the R and allows access to the remote socket but just catches the screen.

.... Further to my previous reply to you, I came across this while on the Wex website. Not cheap [says Robin who bought a mega expensive Really Right Stuff 2-part L-bracket for his 1DX-2] but Kirk are a well thought of brand.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/kirk-bl-r-l-bracket-for-canon-eos-r-1683992/

It depends how far you want to go and if you have a budget but the RRS L-brackets are in quick-and-easy 2 parts and also integrate an Allen key magnetically - Very clever and very high standard gear. Available from Holland (easier than from USA).

Another cheaper option and if you phone Wex 01603 486413 Option 3 they will advise without hard selling you anything. They'll tell you if it fits the R. Please let us know if you get any answers.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/3-legged-thing-qr11-lg-l-bracket-1631381/

I have the 3 legged thing bracket. It’s ok, but does restrict orientation of the screen at some angles.

Simon.

I was trying to get some info on if shooting a welder was possible. I have done this with the 77d because the sensor is only open for a tiny amount of time, but would the shot be possible with the R because the sensor is always working?

.... I don't know the answer because I have never shot such a subject but as no-one else here has answered either, if you are on Facebook then someone in this group is likely to be able to help :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/421157698288581/

Is there any help in the User Manual?

HTH

A couple of recent shots (details on each Flickr link) on a very grey day out reawakening my boyhood trainspotting interests in anything powered by steam. The experience really took me back well over 50 years ago - It almost felt as if the clock had been rewound! Thanks to my friend who invited me to join him I am now hooked on steam again. Swanage Railway, 5th January 2019.

During the day I shot with both EOS R and 1DX-2 bodies and used either Canon EF 100-400mm L II or RF 24-105mm L lenses. I ended up with about 25 keeper images. I was impressed on how well the R's performance measured up to the 1DX-2 when being used in exactly the same conditions on the same day on the same subjects - My default 14fps on my 1DX-2 was not needed. In comparison I particularly like the mirrorless R's feature of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) and histogram in the viewfinder. I used the EF 100-400mm lens on both bodies rather than just keeping one body only mounted on one lens as a combo. Because of WYSIWYG and histogram in the EVF I personally find the EOS R easier to control exposure with when in poor and fading light. ISO performance on the R is very good indeed but of course I do post-process my RAW images (in CaptureOne, not Lightroom).

SWANAGE RAILWAY NEAR CORFE CASTLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ This was shot in middle of the day at about 12:30pm on the 1DX-2 - ISO 800

STEAMING HOME - LAST TRAIN OF THE DAY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ This was shot as the light was fast fading at about 4:00pm on the EOS R - ISO 5000

I am very happy indeed with my decision to sell my 5D-4, M5, and 7D-2 and replace them with the EOS R to use as my additional EOS system body to my 1DX-2.

Last edited:
An update on my search for an L plate for the R. I bought a Sunwayfoto one from Ebay but have had to return it. It swung out but would not rotate fully. I tried to get help from WEX but their computers were down and couldn't offer any help. I will try them again lately. Facebook has not come up with anything positive as yet.

Lol yes I know he rips Sony and nikon lool

He rips the sheet out of M43 too, and he uses the system lol. It's become his thing, the quest for the 'perfect' camera, the running joke is there is no such thing, so he just nit picks the heck out of any new release. He's also only concerned with the video side, he constantly slates stills photography too.

I have just returned from a wildlife photography trip to Bulgaria and took my EOS R and 1DX-2. I used my 1DX-2 for action shots but mostly used my EOS R on EF 500mm F/4L II plus Extenders when mounted on pod (FlexLine or compact Jobu Jr3 gimbal on Gitzo). There were hardly any sunny conditions at all and I found the EOS R with its histogram display in the EVF very helpful. I also found the Vario-screen invaluable when in cramped positions (most of the time!).

PROBABLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GOLDEN EAGLE I HAVE EVER SEEN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Click pic for info on Flickr

Last edited:
I have just returned from a wildlife photography trip to Bulgaria and took my EOS R and 1DX-2. I used my 1DX-2 for action shots but mostly used my EOS R on EF 500mm F/4L II plus Extenders when mounted on pod (FlexLine or compact Jobu Jr3 gimbal on Gitzo). There were hardly any sunny conditions at all and I found the EOS R with its histogram display in the EVF very helpful. I also found the Vario-screen invaluable when in cramped positions (most of the time!).

PROBABLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GOLDEN EAGLE I HAVE EVER SEEN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Click pic for info on Flickr

Fabulous Rob

This new Canon EOS RP looks interesting for the more budget conscious - apparently it'll have better 4K than the R [much less of a crop], expected to be priced around $1500 and using possibly the sensor from the 6DII. No doubt it won't have the same build, and it'll probably lack some features of the R, but for those wanting a cheaper way into FF ML it certainly seems to be priced nicely

Last edited:
Back