Canon EOS R Series Cameras

This new Canon EOS RP looks interesting for the more budget conscious - apparently it'll have better 4K than the R [much less of a crop], expected to be priced around $1500 and using possibly the sensor from the 6DII. No doubt it won't have the same build, and it'll probably lack some features of the R, but for those wanting a cheaper way into FF ML it certainly seems to be priced nicely

EOS-RP rumour here https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-rp-to-cost-1599-cr1/

I was hoping for something above the EOS-R rather than below it, but I think this makes sense from Canon's point of view in the light of their 2018 end-of-year results https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-i...nd-thoughts-on-the-industry-and-future-goals/

Given the gloom and doom of their CEO's predictions last week, Canon seems in reasonably robust form. They're obviously pleased with how the EOS-R has gone down and are pushing forward on FF mirrorless where margins are better. A higher-end model will follow, perhaps when there are more RF lenses (on the way) available to maximise profits.

Meanwhile, the 5D4 is under £1700 grey...

I was hoping for something above the EOS-R rather than below it, but I think this makes sense from Canon's point of view in the light of their 2018 end-of-year results https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-i...nd-thoughts-on-the-industry-and-future-goals/

Given the gloom and doom of their CEO's predictions last week, Canon seems in reasonably robust form. They're obviously pleased with how the EOS-R has gone down and are pushing forward on FF mirrorless where margins are better. A higher-end model will follow, perhaps when there are more RF lenses (on the way) available to maximise profits.

I wonder what the grey price on the RP will be? They already have the R down to 1599, so it'll have to be below that at least

Last edited:

.... I don't understand why it would be called an EOS-RP when 'P' would usually denote 'Professional'. But these are just rumours, or rumors if you are American.

Having just spent a very intense literally dawn-until-dusk few days photographing wildlife overseas where I had both EOS-R and 1DX-2 bodies with me all the time and chose the EOS-R for 90% of the shots because I was on tripod and mostly in very poor light, I have returned to the UK thinking that I would swop my 1DX-2 for a mirrorless Canon equivalent and keep my EOS-R because the Vario-angle screen is so valuable and its 35-40Mpx RAW files do the trick very nicely. But I think it's going to be a while before Canon release a proper Professional spec EOS-R version.

Richard, I don't think it's necessarily down to profit margins why Canon are continuing the FF push forward because, if not FF, a 'lower' spec EOS-R might compete too directly with the APS-C EOS M5/M50? I speculate of course and none of us know yet what developments will be officially announced.

CanonRumors is a good source for info but is still a third-party rumour site and is not always reliable through no fault of their own.

Last edited:
Latest (4th Feb) from CanonRumors is more specific about the EOS-RP specs :

https://www.canonrumors.co/new-rumored-specs-of-canon-eos-rp/

I still don't understand why it's called the 'RP'.

They say "Less build quality than the EOS R". I must say that I found the R performed well in cold mountain mist (cloud), rain and snow last week.

.... I don't understand why it would be called an EOS-RP when 'P' would usually denote 'Professional'. But these are just rumours, or rumors if you are American.

Not that it especially matters but I can't say I'm warming to the name either, I'm not sure what it means for the rest of the range when they make em.

Assuming the P does stand for professional then perhaps it's an aspirational thing for people considering their full frame mirrorless system (who exactly is it aimed at?) or that's how they want to position it compared to say their M series.

I think in Canon speak P is for Populaire. As in the old Rangefinder 7 film range. A slightly cut down version.

I think in Canon speak P is for Populaire. As in the old Rangefinder 7 film range. A slightly cut down version.

.... That seems more logical although it seems a bit out of place in this new digital era. On the other hand, Canon recently updated their clothing merchandise to display their original 1930s Kwanon logo [Yes, being a Canon fanboy I did buy a T-shirt and a baseball cap!]. Kwanon is the Buddhist Goddess and her image was displayed on early camera top plates.

Meanwhile, as I write this, some late breaking further news from CanonRumors :

https://www.canonrumors.co/breaking...f-85mm-f-1-2l-rf-24-240-to-be-announced-soon/

Coming thick and fast now! But what about a firmware update for the R?

Having just spent a very intense literally dawn-until-dusk few days photographing wildlife overseas where I had both EOS-R and 1DX-2 bodies with me all the time and chose the EOS-R for 90% of the shots because I was on tripod and mostly in very poor light, I have returned to the UK thinking that I would swop my 1DX-2 for a mirrorless Canon equivalent and keep my EOS-R because the Vario-angle screen is so valuable and its 35-40Mpx RAW files do the trick very nicely. But I think it's going to be a while before Canon release a proper Professional spec EOS-R version.

Richard, I don't think it's necessarily down to profit margins why Canon are continuing the FF push forward because, if not FF, a 'lower' spec EOS-R might compete too directly with the APS-C EOS M5/M50? I speculate of course and none of us know yet what developments will be officially announced.

CanonRumors is a good source for info but is still a third-party rumour site and is not always reliable through no fault of their own.

Here is an example of what can be done with a RAW file from the EOS-R at 2,700ft altitude in low grey cloud. EOS-R + EF 500mm + 2x + pod, more info on Flickr :

GOLDEN EAGLE STANDING PROUD by Robin Procter, on Flickr

That's a fabulous shot Rob - really majestic and powerful pose, if not the best advert for Canon sensors LOL. I'd love to see what you could do with that in post processing (y)

That's a fabulous shot Rob - really majestic and powerful pose, if not the best advert for Canon sensors LOL. I'd love to see what you could do with that in post processing (y)

.... Thanks Rich.

However, I have already post-processed it LOL.

Personally I'm very happy with the result overall as a picture - I was literally inside low misty cloud. Noise doesn't always bother me and some photographers are inclined to examine images too closely in my opinion and consequently can miss the evocative nature of a picture. I felt that in this case, my image was a keeper.

TBH I thought the same. It looks like something from my old 20D that had had the exposure pushed but that's just what it looks like to me and I don't know the conditions it was taken in, maybe it's a miracle we're looking at a picture at all.

The noise could be worked on and working on this picture on my pc removes the noise easy enough but there's a lot of detail loss. Maybe Robin can do better with the original at least in balancing the noise and detail.

Last edited:
I wonder when noise became such a big issue? I suppose it was when they conjured up sensors that handled it a lot better, so we got more accustomed to noise free images, now when we see it we're jumping on it like it's a bad rash. I was looking at a photo journalist docu the other week, fantastic images of the troubles up North - many of the images were noisey as heck, but it didn't do anything to detract from the image - I only noticed because I'm used to it being pointed out so much on forums like this! I doubt it even crossed the minds of the general viewer - Just something I ponder on , no major point :)

Maybe P for peaking peoples interest :)

I like the look of the Eos-R must admit. Interested to have a look at them at The Photography Show next month.

I wonder when noise became such a big issue? I suppose it was when they conjured up sensors that handled it a lot better, so we got more accustomed to noise free images, now when we see it we're jumping on it like it's a bad rash. I was looking at a photo journalist docu the other week, fantastic images of the troubles up North - many of the images were noisey as heck, but it didn't do anything to detract from the image - I only noticed because I'm used to it being pointed out so much on forums like this! I doubt it even crossed the minds of the general viewer - Just something I ponder on , no major point :)

I don't think noise is the main problem with Rob's wonderful eagle, it's the loss of shadow detail that often goes with it.

It looks like the under-exposed browns on the chest have been lifted, but perhaps the Black slider needs pulling down a bit to restore the rich dark shadows. Then maybe add some local noise reduction and perhaps a tweak of Clarity? That kind of thing and nothing too major, but well worth trying I think Personally, I'd try for a bit more punch and saturation on those awesome talons too :)

Last edited:

I remember my Canon 20D (and the cameras before it.) The pictures weren't bad and indeed could look very nice but if I attempted to lighten the shadows noise became very obvious and IMO picture spoiling very quickly. Going back to the days of film I often shot in low light at gigs with ISO 1600 film and the only things that saved them from looking quite poor by todays standards was that the prints were quite small again by todays standards.

I think noise has always been an issue, I don't think it's a new issue or something that we only started to talk about to have a pop at Canons tech.

As to who notices it, normal people I know do seem to be on a different level of consciousness when it comes to things I can see and they can't but that's beside the point. We may be forum camera geeks picking up on things that normal people wont notice but if we were normal we wouldn't be talking about it here would we? And if we had a different hobby, like cars, we wouldn't notice colour noise in pictures but we'd end up being all anal about the noise car engine tappets make, or something.

I remember my Canon 20D (and the cameras before it.) The pictures weren't bad and indeed could look very nice but if I attempted to lighten the shadows noise became very obvious and IMO picture spoiling very quickly. Going back to the days of film I often shot in low light at gigs with ISO 1600 film and the only things that saved them from looking quite poor by todays standards was that the prints were quite small again by todays standards.

I think noise has always been an issue, I don't think it's a new issue or something that we only started to talk about to have a pop at Canons tech.

As to who notices it, normal people I know do seem to be on a different level of consciousness when it comes to things I can see and they can't but that's beside the point. We may be forum camera geeks picking up on things that normal people wont notice but if we were normal we wouldn't be talking about it here would we? And if we had a different hobby, like cars, we wouldn't notice colour noise in pictures but we'd end up being all anal about the noise car engine tappets make, or something.

I used to shoot gigs a fair bit too, ISO 3200 on a D200 was fun, made every gig look like they had fake snow fall :D Some of the best gig photography was done through the 60's and 70's - the noise actually added to the gritty B&W live performance images, especially suited to Punk & Metal. It's just something I find interesting, I think we over nit pick at the best of times.

To be on topic - Looks like the RP will only have 1 card slot, no touch bar and not exacly the same sensor as the 6DII, but a new - similar sensor. The price is now rumored to be lower than first expected - more like $1300

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-rp-specifications-cr1/

This site doesn't state one card slot, I got info that elsewhere

Last edited:

.... Re my Golden Eagle picture in post #443, I very much agree with you, Keith. Personally I would much rather see noise than noise reduction applied so strongly that bird plumage looks waxy and backgrounds look like a flat wallpaper backdrop in a studio.

But, having said that, it doesn't mean that I can't have another go at post-processing this image to see if I can improve anything. I don't want to lose the atmosphere which my posted image conveys though as it does represent the conditions which I experienced in real life.

So I thank you guys for your constructive criticism.

Here is the re-processed Golden Eagle picture from my original attempt posted in #443 - I started again from scratch :

This version is uncropped and consequently the bird is positioned rather centrally but given that I only had a second to fire one shot without risking alerting the Eagle to my presence I wasn't going to risk losing the opportunity while moving the central focus point around - Something which I find awkward on the EOS-R anyway. I shot in Silent Mode-1 and although not absolutely silent it is very quiet.

Last edited:
I have just returned from 4 days in a hide in Poland. The intention was to photograph White tailed eagles however this year they were few and far between and none came into feed. Fortunately the Buzzards were there and they were hungry. I shot mainly on the 1DX ii but took a few on the R. Once it acquired the bird it tracked it well and the image quality is fine.
Buzard by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Here is the re-processed Golden Eagle picture from my original attempt posted in #443 <snip>

Moving in the right direction Rob, but you seem to have lost a little sharpness and maybe been a bit heavy on the saturation or something that is bringing up purple and green artifacts. Perhaps more clarity and vibrance on the legs rather than saturation?

PP is an art at this kind of level when TBH it's just too under-exposed. I'm no expert, but maybe there's more to be had there, maybe not. It's still a great capture though, he looks magnificent (y)

Last edited:
Moving in the right direction Rob, but you seem to have lost a little sharpness and maybe been a bit heavy on the saturation or something that is bringing up purple and green artifacts. Perhaps more clarity and vibrance on the legs rather than saturation?

PP is an art at this kind of level when TBH it's just too under-exposed. I'm no expert, but maybe there's more to be had there, maybe not. It's still a great capture though, he looks magnificent (y)

.... I think I have taken it as far as I can, at least for now, and the original was just a bit too under-exposed. Sharpening increases the noise.

One thing is clear though and that is that any resulting photo's failings are not down to the EOS-R camera but down to me and my limited colour editing skills. I've done well enough for it to be a keeper though. Photography is a never ending learning curve!

If you like the image it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it, not every wildlife shot has to be clinical perfection. I see this image as much more about the bird than the gear, and what a bird!

I have just returned from 4 days in a hide in Poland. The intention was to photograph White tailed eagles however this year they were few and far between and none came into feed. Fortunately the Buzzards were there and they were hungry. I shot mainly on the 1DX ii but took a few on the R. Once it acquired the bird it tracked it well and the image quality is fine.

.... With Peter Spencer? I am friends with his organising partner John Fanning and he has promised me 'a seat' on the next one - I was going with them last December but they couldn't get enough people probably being too close to Christmas.

The opposite camera selection to you, on my recent trip to Bulgaria I shot mainly on the R and very few, only the handheld shots, on the 1DX-2. I didn't have any tracking inflight opportunities on the R, they were all 'pod mounted. I found the Vario-angle screen invaluable when 'pod mounted in a cramped hide.

On this trip I also tried out the Multi Function Touch bar by programming it for image enlargement to check focus and got on well with it most of the time. Canon have apparently not included the touch bar on the forthcoming EOS-RP.

The conclusion I come to for me personally is that the EOS-R is my preferred #1 choice camera body when on tripod (usually on long lenses) except for action shots with a gimbal head but when handheld it is only well balanced physically on the shorter lenses.

If you like the image it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it, not every wildlife shot has to be clinical perfection. I see this image as much more about the bird than the gear, and what a bird!

.... I agree and am pleased that I succeeded in capturing this particular Golden Eagle's statuesque magnificence. However, I think we all strive towards 'perfection' and as said by others earlier, discussions by photographers on forums can push us further as well as reduce our confidence. But I am particularly thankful to you Keith for helping me maintain my confidence.

I am also grateful for the help and polite criticisms that my photo has attracted - It's all positive and we learn by our mistakes [Take more notice of the histogram, Robin!].

Last edited:
.... I agree and am pleased that I succeeded in capturing this particular Golden Eagle's statuesque magnificence. However, I think we all strive towards 'perfection' and as said by others earlier, discussions by photographers on forums can push us further as well as reduce our confidence. But I am particularly thankful to you Keith for helping me maintain my confidence.

I am also grateful for the help and polite criticisms that my photo has attracted - It's all positive and we learn by our mistakes [Take more notice of the histogram, Robin!].

I do like constructive criticism myself, and have learned loads through it over the years. Just sometimes an image doesn't need to be technically excellent to be striking. The only images of birds of prey I have taken over the years had to be heavily cropped, they're not anything I would print and hang but I'm glad I took them and have them in my collection

I like the fist version better, I suppose you could get away with saying the slight lack of contrast is due to atmosphere or mist? :naughty: But is has a more classic look to it whereas the second edit has a more 'painting' look.

Would it be an option to supply the RAW to let others have a bash as it's a really good photo?

I like the fist version better, I suppose you could get away with saying the slight lack of contrast is due to atmosphere or mist? :naughty: But is has a more classic look to it whereas the second edit has a more 'painting' look.

Would it be an option to supply the RAW to let others have a bash as it's a really good photo?

.... That's a good idea and especially if someone uses CaptureOne (as I do).

How do I supply the RAW file please? (It's a CR3 file of course) < Dropbox?

And might it be more appropriate if I start a new thread in the 'Photos : Nature - Wild and Free' section and invite editing? I would then post a link to it here.

As you'll see from the RAW file, it was misty - We were in windblown thin cloud with quickly changing light which made visibility very tricky at times.

Last edited:
.... With Peter Spencer? I am friends with his organising partner John Fanning and he has promised me 'a seat' on the next one - I was going with them last December but they couldn't get enough people probably being too close to Christmas.

The opposite camera selection to you, on my recent trip to Bulgaria I shot mainly on the R and very few, only the handheld shots, on the 1DX-2. I didn't have any tracking inflight opportunities on the R, they were all 'pod mounted. I found the Vario-angle screen invaluable when 'pod mounted in a cramped hide.

On this trip I also tried out the Multi Function Touch bar by programming it for image enlargement to check focus and got on well with it most of the time. Canon have apparently not included the touch bar on the forthcoming EOS-RP.

The conclusion I come to for me personally is that the EOS-R is my preferred #1 choice camera body when on tripod (usually on long lenses) except for action shots with a gimbal head but when handheld it is only well balanced physically on the shorter lenses.

Rob.
Yes, Peter Spencer. I only know him through John Fanning who is also a friend of mine and an excellent landscape/wildlife photographer. John has just corrected me on a couple of pictures on flickr from this trip. I posted them as Buzzards and they are actually White tailed sea eagles, so the trip was more successful than I thought ! It also goes to show that as we get older what we say is not always whet we mean!!!

Rob.
Yes, Peter Spencer. I only know him through John Fanning who is also a friend of mine and an excellent landscape/wildlife photographer. John has just corrected me on a couple of pictures on flickr from this trip. I posted them as Buzzards and they are actually White tailed sea eagles, so the trip was more successful than I thought ! It also goes to show that as we get older what we say is not always whet we mean!!!

.... That's a big bonus!! I noticed that Peter has some shots on his Facebook page of a White-tailed Sea Eagle from your trip and did wonder if perhaps you were chimping and missed them! :LOL:

I can't access your Flickr page as it tells me it's private.

big rumour of more lenses coming to this system. 85mm f1.2m, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.

if true and they release these this yeah it'll be very impressive from canon. blowing away nikon's native mirrorless offerings and working at a much faster rate than sony did with theirs.

And might it be more appropriate if I start a new thread in the 'Photos : Nature - Wild and Free' section and invite editing? I would then post a link to it here.

As you'll see from the RAW file, it was misty - We were in windblown thin cloud with quickly changing light which made visibility very tricky at times.

I'm not actually sure what would be the best way, can Flickr host RAW files?

I'm not actually sure what would be the best way, can Flickr host RAW files?

.... I would rather supply my RAW file privately by Dropbox than publicly on Flickr, if in fact Flickr do host RAW format.

Dropbox would make more sense then I guess. It's not something I use but I think it's easy enough to share through?

@RedRobin I think it is well processed generally, just the shadows have been pulled a lot reuslting in the noise.

Either reduce the amount of shadow detail that you've recovered or pull the black point down to compensate, I don't think it needs noise reduction, just a gentler hand with the processing.

EDIT: A stunning shot in any case. Such a beautiful creature, well done.

Last edited:

Good idea. I'll give it a go Rob, but I really don't know what the potential is. I'm mostly guessing by just looking at the image on screen here.

I would approach it at both a general level and also down to quite detailed local adjustments with lots (dozens) of small tweaks perhaps down to individual feathers. It's time consuming even with a fast PC, but that's my problem and sometimes it just makes a mess so no promises. If it looks like it's been 'Photoshopped' then that would be a fail IMHO :)

I use Lightroom and don't have CR3 support, so I guess DNG or TIFF. Dropbox is fine. PM me you're interested (y)

Cheers

Here is an example of what can be done with a RAW file from the EOS-R at 2,700ft altitude in low grey cloud. EOS-R + EF 500mm + 2x + pod, more info on Flickr :

A great opportunity Robin! It would like to see the raw file too. As has been said an image doesn't have to be technically perfect all the time. I really like it.

Back