Canon EOS R Series Cameras

From the rumoured specs, could the EOS RP be EOS Reduced Performance! ;) :LOL:

Or 'Royal Pi**take' perhaps? :D I know some R owners might be a little miffed about it if it turns out to be a great budget performer.

I actually think it's a great idea, aim at the APSC and M users maybe, who ponder on FF but don't want to spend a small fortune. Or budget shooters in general who are a little gun shy about going FF, don't want older tech, but want to give this FFML a go.

If it's half way decent it'd suit me tbh. Been thinking on a cheap older FF to have on side for a while now, but so used to ML functions that dslr doesn't take my fancy anymore

I have heard that the UK price for the RP will be £1400 - which is a pretty impressive price for a camera of this (supposed) spec.

Also - not discussed that much yet, but these rumoured lenses look pretty tasty! Guess it depends on what their price points are!!

Can only imagine they’ll be priced similarly to the current EF equivalents.

Not managed to get out with the camera for ages, so here's a shot of a (captive) Long Eared Owl taken on a photography workshop at the back end of last year.
EOS R + Canon 70-200mm f4 L.

.... Beautiful colour and image quality!

Or 'Royal Pi**take' perhaps? :D I know some R owners might be a little miffed about it if it turns out to be a great budget performer.

I actually think it's a great idea, aim at the APSC and M users maybe, who ponder on FF but don't want to spend a small fortune. Or budget shooters in general who are a little gun shy about going FF, don't want older tech, but want to give this FFML a go.

If it's half way decent it'd suit me tbh. Been thinking on a cheap older FF to have on side for a while now, but so used to ML functions that dslr doesn't take my fancy anymore

.... I'm sure I won't feel miffed as the EOS-R delivers 36Mbx RAW files, has a fully articulated screen instead of one-directional like the M5 and is reportedly tougher but I agree with you that it could bridge a gap and could also be very desirable for a lot of people.

I'm glad that Canon released the EOS-R first and that I didn't buy a RP instead as a replacement for my M5. The M5 is a great little camera but just a tad too small for my comfort in operation.

Last edited:
More info/rumours/leaks about the forthcoming RF lenses with this size comparison :

https://www.canonrumors.co/size-comparison-of-leaked-5-rf-lenses-and-already-released-rf-lenses/

Click the image to view them all larger for a closer comparison. That RF 70-200mm F/2.8L is a big boy! I don't know how its weight compares with the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L.

Canon are turning the heat up methinks! Exciting times ahead although potentially expensive but I'm alright with my EF L lenses and general purpose RF 24-105mm - I just want an EOS-1R (1DX equivalent) one day before I'm too old to use a camera.

Last edited:
I think we should rename this thread the canon ff mirrorless? So we can discuss the RP camera as well as potential 1dx mirrorless one too?

I think we should rename this thread the canon ff mirrorless? So we can discuss the RP camera as well as potential 1dx mirrorless one too?

Title states 'R series' - which leaves room to chit chat about the 'R'P I would have thought.

Just realised that looks like RIP lol

You mean the new Robin Procter edition? No, still going strong.

.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Yes I had noticed the new EOS body might have my initials RP emblazoned on it. Pity that it's not the R equivalent of the 1DX with RP on it.

Looks alright, I mean ... what are good looking cameras? some Fuji and Olympus models maybe, mostly they're ugly lumps of plastic and metal.

It sounds decent, if the price is right I'd be interested.

It sounds decent, if the price is right I'd be interested.

.... And there you have it. A decent FF camera and a good stepping stone within the EOS system. The camera takes the photograph but the photographer makes the photograph.

The first released RF mount EOS-R body has been criticised as being a bit expensive (largely due to its specs) but is proving itself in spite of all the initial negative online vlogger 'reviews'. The very soon to be released EOS-RP will doubtless be reviewed by the same attention-seeking vloggers but based on what we in the real world know about the EOS-R, the EOS-RP should fit very nicely within the whole EOS system between the M-series and the R.

But the proof of a pudding is always in the eating (or some similar saying!).

I wonder if the RP will be sold with an EF Adapter included or whether it will be an extra.

Last edited:
A couple of tips for EOS-R shooters (which some of you may know already) :

- Silent Shooting does not work if you have Continuous Shooting burst mode set (as I do by default). As I discovered while trying to be dead silent while hiding on a mountain top recently. The handbook confirms this on page 151. Silent Shooting only works in fully auto modes.

- If you are spending time with your EOS-R on a tripod, switch off the Image Stabilisation on your lens as it consumes battery juice even when the mounted EOS-R camera body is not being used. You can hear the IS motor working if you listen extremely closely. I wondered why my battery level was dropping so much when I was waiting in readiness alert literally hours for wildlife to appear and had shot so few images!

I do wish Canon would release the firmware update they said they would do - It might improve some features such as burst rates. Perhaps with their announcement of the EOS-RP.

Last edited:
A couple of tips for EOS-R shooters (which some of you may know already) :

- Silent Shooting does not work if you have Continuous Shooting burst mode set (as I do by default). As I discovered while trying to be dead silent while hiding on a mountain top recently. The handbook confirms this on page 151. Silent Shooting only works in fully auto modes.

- If you are spending time with your EOS-R on a tripod, switch off the Image Stabilisation on your lens as it consumes battery juice even when the mounted EOS-R camera body is not being used. You can hear the IS motor working if you listen extremely closely. I wondered why my battery level was dropping so much when I was waiting in readiness alert literally hours for wildlife to appear and had shot so few images!

I do wish Canon would release the firmware update they said they would do - It might improve some features such as burst rates. Perhaps with their announcement of the EOS-RP.

Wow, I am a bit disappointed with Canon EOS-R being restrictive on features that does not make sense :confused:

Wow, I am a bit disappointed with Canon EOS-R being restrictive on features that does not make sense :confused:

.... I think it would be fairer to say that the EOS-R has current limitations on features and that some of those limitations might, we hope, be lifted by a firmware update.

How restrictive or limited the Silent Shooting option is will depend very much on what kind of photography you do. I can report that in the environments of trying to remain undetected by easily spooked wildlife subjects, the EOS-R has a very quiet shutter sound anyway and has yet to present an issue for me.

Switching off IS when tripod mounted is a good practice anyway. I often switch my lens IS setting to Mode-3 which only actions image stabilisation at the exact moment that the shutter is fired. This gives the lens less work to do and improves tracking speed/response. When mounted on a tripod you don't have awareness of IS activity anyway.

With mirrorless technology we have to accept that battery juice consumption will be higher than on a D-SLR.

Looks like a firmware upgrade has been released. I'm not an R owner at the moment, or a Canon owner for that matter but watching progress with interest!

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-r-firmware-1-1-0-now-available-to-download

.... You beat me to it!

Official Canon download page : https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con.../cameras/digital_slr/eos-r.aspx?type=firmware

As I had hoped and said in my previous post, the firmware update addresses continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. I would have to try it out to see if this update works in full Manual-mode instead of the auto mode only.

Last edited:
PLEASE NOTE :

"Caution:

(1) When using the continuous shooting option when silent shutter has been enabled with the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens, it may be necessary to update the lens' firmware version. If the lens' firmware version is Version 1.1.1, please download the latest firmware version (Version 2.0.0) or later from Canon's Web site to update the lens firmware.

(2) The user guide has been revised to reflect the functional improvements to the product. Please download the latest version of the user guide together with the new firmware. The latest version of the user guide can be downloaded from Canon's Web site."

Last edited:
After any firmware updates, don't forget to pop out your camera battery for a few seconds before re-inserting it and switching the camera back on. It's a reboot to sort things out correctly.

I thought continuous eye af was coming with this firmware. Shame.
Likewise?

.... Never absolutely believe the rumours (or rumors). Canon, just like any manufacturer, will not make official announcements until they are ready.

The continuous eye AF feature you want may be released in the future but only if Canon decide and then subsequently release it.

.... Never absolutely believe the rumours (or rumors). Canon, just like any manufacturer, will not make official announcements until they are ready.

The continuous eye AF feature you want may be released in the future but only if Canon decide and then subsequently release it.
Not sure it was rumours.. The people who went to the eos R launch shoot said canon stated that the continues eye af will be released in the next firmware update..

Not sure it was rumours.. The people who went to the eos R launch shoot said canon stated that the continues eye af will be released in the next firmware update..

.... In the next firmware update or in a future firmware update? For whatever reason only known to the Canon EOS-R development team, it hasn't been included so far. It's not worth anyone holding their breath for and doesn't stop a good photographer getting ace portrait shots.

.... Is that a very slim battery pack I can see underneath in the front view with lens mounted pic?

Given the EOS mirrorless battery high consumptions that could be a must-have if there is one for the EOS-R. I'm packing 4 spare batteries for a dawn-til-dusk shoot tomorrow (if I use the R much).

I am surprised both canon and nikon didn't go for a bigger battery with more juice for the new mounts.

I am surprised both canon and nikon didn't go for a bigger battery with more juice for the new mounts.

.... I think that Canon were right to choose the LP-E6N as they have. Not only is it a great help to those who already have or have had LP-E6 fuelled camera bodies (I already have a collection of 6 spare LP-E6N) but it also keeps the overall camera body size and weight down. Also, not every photographer needs a larger capacity battery or more than one spare. I think it's mainly the professional, semi-professional, and serious amateur who need more than one battery and the EOS-R camera is probably mainly aimed at slightly more 'amateur' users.

I think that the LP-E6N/LP-E6 battery is an efficient choice for the EOS-R. But I would like the option of a battery pack/grip.

The larger 1DX battery (the existing next size up?) is very heavy, very bulky, and very expensive retailing at about £179 against £79(?) for the EOS-R's LP-E6N. However, it is an awesome and long lasting battery and needs to be because the 1DX-2 has dual processors and 14fps etc etc. High performance CFast cards also need the battery power to help avoid images buffering.

Back