Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I have only the R5 so can't compare with R6. R5 will be great for what you want, a very large step up from 5D3, and plenty of pixels for the larger prints.

Little bit off topic but I see Canon have announced the pro flash to go with the R series. The EL1. Shame about the Profoto level of pricing though. B and H are listing it at 1100USD.

Regards...

Little bit off topic but I see Canon have announced the pro flash to go with the R series. The EL1. Shame about the Profoto level of pricing though. B and H are listing it at 1100USD.

Regards...
o_O how much?! Is it just me or are all the RF-mount lenses and accessories a big step up in cost?

o_O how much?! Is it just me or are all the RF-mount lenses and accessories a big step up in cost?
At that price I hope this flash works magic and defies the laws of physics to illuminate every scene to perfection

At that price I hope this flash works magic and defies the laws of physics to illuminate every scene to perfection

Unlikely ;) Same power as before, but lithium battery for 0.9secs recycle time and active cooling plus 'high durability' flash tube for sustained high power shooting. For some users (press work, weddings maybe?) that's a real weakness with just about every other speedlight.
Edit: it also has a 1/8192 minimum power setting. That's certainly unique (and useless).

Last edited:
The high end is no longer being subsidised by the volume consumer level products. The price probably reflects more of the true cost of development.

Regards...

Yes, there's probably a lot of truth in that - and unfortunately it applies across the board. Though higher prices don't seem to have stopped buyers falling over themselves to spend (on the evidence of this thread) some seriously large sums o_O

ps an upside is that there's a lot of trading-in of EF lenses that actually work even better than before on RF bodies via the adapter (with better AF). That's where the smart money will be spent.

Last edited:
Has anyone had an R6 from WEX recently or have had an update on shipping dates?

I ordered one tonight and was wondering how long I'll be waiting.

Thanks.

Both me and my work colleague ordered our cameras on 21st of September from WEX.
I ordered a 5, while he chose the 6.

Neither of us have heard anything as yet.

Is anyone using the RF 100-500 with the new R5?

I‘m finding the images to be blurred no matter what I try. I did some tests today comparing the image quality against my 5D4 with EF 100-400L and my 6DMk2 with Sigma 150-600C.

The results from the R5 were inferior. They look like camera shake.

I’ve tried shutter speeds right up to 1/2500 and it’s just the same.

I’ve tried the RF at 400mm and 500mm and both are just as poor.

I‘ve tried IS on and IS off. Still poor.

Feeling a bit down over it. I need to sell my old kit to cover the cost but daren’t let them go yet.

Hunting around the net I have found one other person who’s having similar issues.

Yes, there's probably a lot of truth in that - and unfortunately it applies across the board. Though higher prices don't seem to have stopped buyers falling over themselves to spend (on the evidence of this thread) some seriously large sums o_O

ps an upside is that there's a lot of trading-in of EF lenses that actually work even better than before on RF bodies via the adapter (with better AF). That's where the smart money will be spent.
I think you are spot on. It's going to be a great buyer's market for EF lenses soon.

Last edited:
I think you are spot on. It's not going to be a great buyer's market for EF lenses soon.

I think all will be sorted according to sharpness and features. For video there is probably even advantage of using ef glass as that allows Nd filter in adapter, and a real manual focus with focus ring accessories... Then the cpl adapter for bulbous ultra sides, the tilt and shift and so.
Also I likely will prefer non extending design of 70-200mm, which are already plenty sharp for 50mp... Want cpl at 400mm? Use ef one with adapter rather than installing one on the front and killing resolution.
Mediocre glass will surely drop like stones. I fear this will even include 24-70mm 2.8 ii and other midrange f4s and old 1.2s.

Are they both running the newest firmware? I believe there was an update for this issue.

Do an update and test from tripod without any stabilization with timer delay.

I know full well how easy it is to f*** up a 400mm shot even from tripod. Even slight wind can blur it just enough to notice.

Last edited:

Regards...

Or you can pick up a whole bag of supremely superior godox ad200 and walk out with some change. There is also on camera v1c round head flashgun.

It almost sounds like they want to help godox sell even more

Do an update and test from tripod without any stabilization with timer delay.

I know full well how easy it is to f*** up a 400mm shot even from tripod. Even slight wind can blur it just enough to notice.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the lens on my EOS R and it’s exactly the same.

I spent a morning taking exactly the same shots with my various cameras

6D2 with Sigma 150-600C
5D4 with EF 100-400L

I used my RF 800mm f11 and the RF 100-500 On both the R5 and the EOS R.

Every shot I took with the 100-500 had a shake shadow.

I tried electronic shutter only and mechanical shutter .... no change.

I was questioning my own technique but when all my other kit produces great sharp photos I think it must be a fault with the lens now unfortunately.

I took long range shots and also fairly short range at about 8m. The 100-500 was clearly the loser.

I tried it at 400mm too. Still not good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

6D2 with Sigma 150-600C
5D4 with EF 100-400L

I was questioning my own technique but when all my other kit produces great sharp photos I think it must be a fault with the lens now unfortunately.

I took long range shots and also fairly short range at about 8m. The 100-500 was clearly the loser.

Hi Andrew, sounds like you have checked thoroughly. Time to go back to Canon? With all your new stuff you probably qualify for good service with canon professional?
I would not want to lose any more time getting it sorted.

Thanks for the reply.

6D2 with Sigma 150-600C
5D4 with EF 100-400L

I'm going to try and get out to test mine now

Hi Andrew, sounds like you have checked thoroughly. Time to go back to Canon? With all your new stuff you probably qualify for good service with canon professional?
I would not want to lose any more time getting it sorted.

I would much rather return to retailer for an exchange or refund and buy another. If it was a simple swap of say IS units then it might be OK, but any more serious misalignement probably is too much of a risk with service.

Well my camera arrived back at Panamoz today. They refunded me almost immediately. They have been really good throughout this process. What a great company. Highly recommended.

Good to hear.
I'm sending my RF 100-500mm back.

It's on E-Infinity for £240 lower and I'm still within the 14 return window so I've contacted Panamoz and started the returns process. They take off £20 for the return postage so I will still be saving £220.
It's out of stock on E-Infinity at the moment but we're effectively in lockdown in Liverpool anyway so I can wait. :)

Mine has been stuck in Hong Kong for days, each day I get an email from UPS saying 'we'll deliver your parcel tomorrow' and each day I check and it's still in Hong Kong :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 294779
My R5 from Panamoz showed exactly the same. It was stuck at Chep Lap Kok for 5-6 days and then suddenly started moving.

It then did Dubai, Germany and on to delivery to me in the UK in one night.

It was originally saying delivery on the Monday and ended up arriving Thursday.

Very happy with Panamoz. It still only took just over a week overall.

Good to hear.
I'm sending my RF 100-500mm back.

It's on E-Infinity for £240 lower and I'm still within the 14 return window so I've contacted Panamoz and started the returns process. They take off £20 for the return postage so I will still be saving £220.
It's out of stock on E-Infinity at the moment but we're effectively in lockdown in Liverpool anyway so I can wait. :)

Panamoz include a 3 year guarantee and from what I’ve heard they’re very good at honouring it.

Panamoz include a 3 year guarantee and from what I’ve heard they’re very good at honouring it.

Yeah, I'm just trying to decide if the £200 extra is worth an additional 2 years warranty. Given I've never had to make a claim, but then again this is the most expensive of all the RF lenses I've purchased, maybe I should just keep it. :)
Just ordered the RF 85mm f/1.2L from E-infinity yesterday as it was £1,799 loosed to £1,960 on Panamoz

Last edited:
Back