Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I took the deer at 1/1000 and iso 6400. Image quality was great at that on the R5.

Its actually a very sharp lens. It’s prime and I guess all set up nicely to perform best at the fixed f11.

Every shot I’ve taken with it has been very nice except for a few in a dark woodland where the iso went extreme.

I’m pleased for have it in my bag but it’s probably best saved for sunny days

Just had a look at your Flickr page Andrew, think you may live in the same area as me because I recognised a lot of those places (Rhinefield, Boulderwood etc)

They are fine but I would try and use faster speed to counter any bird movement. It's amazing you could basically get away with handholding it at that speed. Without IS you would be looking at minimum of 1/800s.

Yeah I realised that when I got home, I was so focussed on bringing the shutter speed down to test the IS on the lens I completely ignored the fact I needed to account for subject movement.
This type of photography is new to me so I'm still practicing :)

Very impressed with this little camera but cant wait to get an EF adaptor.

A/F and ISO handling has proper surprised me and also the image stabilisation is insane.

Still only using the kit lens but very impressed so far.

just been out for a walk with the wife and boys and although nothing special the fact this was hand held at half a second along with the colours has really impressed me.

1R1A0349-XL.jpg

Wildlife photographer Isaac Spotts from Jackson in Wyoming, USA posted a review last night of the R5 which is much more his impression from a week long loan than a technical review - he's a Nikon shooter normally - It's probably fair to say he was a bit impressed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ybZ-Ja6zfU
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very impressed with this little camera but cant wait to get an EF adaptor.

A/F and ISO handling has proper surprised me and also the image stabilisation is insane.

Still only using the kit lens but very impressed so far.

just been out for a walk with the wife and boys and although nothing special the fact this was hand held at half a second along with the colours has really impressed me.

1R1A0349-XL.jpg

Handheld for 1/2 sec is amazing. . I’ve only managed to do 1/8 and get it sharp.

Is that the 24-105 standard kit lens? Ive been struggling with mine. I find it very soft.

Reading around the net It gets quite a lot of bad press.

I see over in the states they offer an L kit lens over the 24-105 they offer here. I wonder why that is?

Handheld for 1/2 sec is amazing. . I’ve only managed to do 1/8 and get it sharp.

Is that the 24-105 standard kit lens? Ive been struggling with mine. I find it very soft.

Reading around the net It gets quite a lot of bad press.

Yes that's with the RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens and actually don't find it that bad for a kit lens.

Have managed to find an in stock adaptor although it's the one with control ring so hopefully should have it by the end of the week.

Saying that it was a sensible price with delivery compared to some of the ones i have seen people selling.

Looking forward to sticking it on the 300 f2.8 and Sigma 40mm.

Yes that's with the RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens and actually don't find it that bad for a kit lens.

Have managed to find an in stock adaptor although it's the one with control ring so hopefully should have it by the end of the week.

Saying that it was a sensible price with delivery compared to some of the ones i have seen people selling.

Looking forward to sticking it on the 300 f2.8 and Sigma 40mm.

The EF lenses really work great with the adapter.

I’ll have another try with my 24-105 kit. Perhaps I was just having a bad day!

Need to try and find an adaptor in stock still.

Received the control ring one i purchased from E-Bay for just over 200 quid only to find its the standard adaptor not the one shown and listed in the add!!!!

Apparently someone in the office uploaded the wrong image but when i asked for them to either dispatch the correct one or refund some money they said the price of the control ring adaptor was over £300 and the standard one was £200 LOL

Now waiting for E-Bay to resolve the matter and back to still only having the kit lens for now.

Received the control ring one i purchased from E-Bay for just over 200 quid only to find its the standard adaptor not the one shown and listed in the add!!!!

Apparently someone in the office uploaded the wrong image but when i asked for them to either dispatch the correct one or refund some money they said the price of the control ring adaptor was over £300 and the standard one was £200 LOL

Now waiting for E-Bay to resolve the matter and back to still only having the kit lens for now.

Crazy how a few months ago (pre R5 and R6) adapters could be picked up for £40 used.

Crazy how a few months ago (pre R5 and R6) adapters could be picked up for £40 used.

Cant believe how many are now being sold or advertised for silly money to be fair but also that Canon didnt actually take into account the demand there would be for adaptors.
Really would of thought they may of known that a lot of the camera sales would be long term Canon users with a fair collection of EF mount lenses.

I should be getting my R5 from Wex this week, Had phone call to say they were getting stock in.

Now how long is the wait going to be for the free adaptor from Canon UK?

Ordered an R6 11 days ago from WEX. Nothing.

Ordered an R6 from Panamoz last night. Shipped already.

Crazy.

They’re superb. I bought mine there.

Also said shipped straight away but took UPS about 7 days to deliver.

Don’t worry if it seems to be stuck at Hong Kong airport for 3-4 days. That seems pretty normal.

I‘ve paid £185 for a brand new standard adapter from eBay.

Not much chance of finding one elsewhere. Just grabbed the chance but overpaid. Glad I’ve got it.

Last edited:
Snapped this shot while I was taking pictures of the RRS Sir David Attenborough.
I just love my R5!! :)
Put this on as a Flickr link as you can really see the sharpness which you can't when putting the image directly on to this site.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2k14tMp

Gosh! That’s amazing!

Ive just sold my 5DSR after much deliberation but don’t think I need to worry.

Modern 44mp looks as good if not better than old 50mp.

Last edited:
Gosh! That’s amazing!

Ive just sold my 5DSR after much deliberation but don’t think I need to worry.

Modern 44mp looks as good if not better than old 50mp.

I can't tell you how well this sensor captures every little detail, I loved my 5D Mark IV and the EOS R but this is just the combination of all the best bits from both, especially the joystick and the wheel on the back, they make so much difference

Being silly with the 300 f2.8IS L MKII and 2x tc today.

Big crop but couldn't believe the eye A/F actually locked on this little critter!!!!!

Original of the fly also attached plus a moon shot with the in camera 1.6 crop and then cropped a bit more but still amazed at the detail to be fair.

1R1A0518-XL.jpg

1R1A0514-XL.jpg

1R1A0565-XL.jpg

Is anyone using the RF 100-500 with the new R5?

I‘m finding the images to be blurred no matter what I try. I did some tests today comparing the image quality against my 5D4 with EF 100-400L and my 6DMk2 with Sigma 150-600C.

The results from the R5 were inferior. They look like camera shake.

I’ve tried shutter speeds right up to 1/2500 and it’s just the same.

I’ve tried the RF at 400mm and 500mm and both are just as poor.

I‘ve tried IS on and IS off. Still poor.

Feeling a bit down over it. I need to sell my old kit to cover the cost but daren’t let them go yet.

Hunting around the net I have found one other person who’s having similar issues.
Do you need to check microfocusing?

Do you need to check microfocusing?

All sorted thx

I‘d attached a Hoya Pro UV filter for protection and that was causing the distortion.

Ive replaced it with a genuine canon protection filter and problem solved.

(No such thing as micro focus adjustment on mirrorless cameras. What you see is what you get.)

Last edited:
All sorted thx

I‘d attached a Hoya Pro UV filter for protection and that was causing the distortion.

Ive replaced it with a genuine canon protection filter and problem solved.

Does the Canon protection filter not cause any image loss? Also would you still be able to attach a Lee filter for the 100 system with that attached or would you have to remove it first?

I‘ve paid £185 for a brand new standard adapter from eBay.

Not much chance of finding one elsewhere. Just grabbed the chance but overpaid. Glad I’ve got it.
The adapters do turn up occasionally in the used stock at MPB and London Camera Exchange. I missed one at LCE the other day, but just picked one up from MPB for £89 :)

Does the Canon protection filter not cause any image loss? Also would you still be able to attach a Lee filter for the 100 system with that attached or would you have to remove it first?

I use the Canon protection filters on my lens when I'm in lens non-friendly places (rain, on the beach etc) and I can't say I've seen any noticeable image degradation.

Any more r6 owners posting up? It’s great seeing the r5 stuff but there’s not a chance I can afford that kinda upgrade!

I use the Canon protection filters on my lens when I'm in lens non-friendly places (rain, on the beach etc) and I can't say I've seen any noticeable image degradation.

Although I haven't historically used any lens filters, I have just invested a considerable amount of money in RF glass, so thought it may be an idea to use these filters to protect the glass, especially if it doesn't affect image quality. Just need to see if I'd have to take it off to apply my Lee lens adaptor ring.

Just checked Canon website and the 77mm filter is reasonable at £49.99, I'd need 3 of them if I don't want to be changing them all the time.

But I also have the 15-35mm which needs an 82mm filter, that one is £83.99.

And then I have the the 28-70 which needs a 95mm filter - that's £249.99 :eek:

Back