Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Hi Pete
Taken a few days ago with the R6 and 24-105 USM lens.. just got my 24-105L back from repair so haven't tried that yet. Apparently it looks much better on Flickr!

Thanks very much Helen! Will have a look through your Flickr to check out some more!

Does the Canon protection filter not cause any image loss? Also would you still be able to attach a Lee filter for the 100 system with that attached or would you have to remove it first?

I was getting terrible distortion from the Hoya and it was Canon support that said it was likely to be the filter.

I took the filter off and wow! Problem solved.

I then ordered a canon filter and it seems ok. I can’t guarantee there’s no image loss but I’m nit getting the double images that I had with the Hoya.

Interestingly on my Sigma EF 150-600 I have a 95mm Jongsun filter from amazon and that seems to produce super sharp images.

Someone suggested Tiffen Digital HT Ultra Clear as a good clear filter for digital cameras,

The Hoya Pro is a UV filter which I’ve heard isn’t the best plan for digital photography.

Ive got Hoya Pro’s on nearly all my lenses so dispairing slightly!

The adapters do turn up occasionally in the used stock at MPB and London Camera Exchange. I missed one at LCE the other day, but just picked one up from MPB for £89 :)

Ive been looking out for a few weeks and keep missing them. I just but the bullet and paid over the odds. Job done. At least I have one now.

Just checked Canon website and the 77mm filter is reasonable at £49.99, I'd need 3 of them if I don't want to be changing them all the time.

But I also have the 15-35mm which needs an 82mm filter, that one is £83.99.

And then I have the the 28-70 which needs a 95mm filter - that's £249.99 :eek:

I have exactly the same issue! Pricey!

Just checked Canon website and the 77mm filter is reasonable at £49.99, I'd need 3 of them if I don't want to be changing them all the time.

But I also have the 15-35mm which needs an 82mm filter, that one is £83.99.

And then I have the the 28-70 which needs a 95mm filter - that's £249.99 :eek:

Have a look at Bristol Cameras,
92mm £205
82mm £64
77mm £38

Have a look at Bristol Cameras,
92mm £205
82mm £64
77mm £38

I ordered 3x77mm and 1x82mm from Amazon. Looks like I could have saved a few quid with Bristol Cameras, although they wanted £10 delivery.

I've decided to sell my RF 28-70 and will replace it with the RF 24-70 so when I get that I'll just need another 82mm protector.

I ordered 3x77mm and 1x82mm from Amazon. Looks like I could have saved a few quid with Bristol Cameras, although they wanted £10 delivery.

I've decided to sell my RF 28-70 and will replace it with the RF 24-70 so when I get that I'll just need another 82mm protector.

Can I ask why you're offloading the RF 28-70?

BTW, I have just sold my EF 24-70 f/2.8L II and bought the RF 24-70. I didn't think there would be much of a difference but there is. The IS is extremely useful too.

Can I ask why you're offloading the RF 28-70?

BTW, I have just sold my EF 24-70 f/2.8L II and bought the RF 24-70. I didn't think there would be much of a difference but there is. The IS is extremely useful too.

Weight. It's heavy. It's a gorgeous piece of engineering but with the other RF lenses I have I just don't pick it up
I realised today when I checked my Lightroom library and realised I have just over 200 pictures taken with it.

I hope they may bring out a 400 f2.8 in RF mount but would shudder to think of the cost!

My R5 arrived from WEX on Thursday and my used 500 mm f4L IS II on Friday. I've been having a play around in the house and really looking forward to getting down to using them in serious action soon. Unfortunately, lockdown is likely to scupper my plans for outings so I will have to make do with my garden which is not ideal but I'm pleased the wait to have them is over at last :)

They guy I spoke to at WEX when I was honing over the cash said they were seeing more of them now so it might not be that long :)

First filming with the R5 yesterday. Exploring a museum at night by torchlight. The 8K raw worked very well, filming short clips, no overheating issues, and render times not bad at all.

I swapped my EF 70-200 2.8L for the RF version and there is a fairly substantial difference in length and weight so would think the F4 version will be even lighter.

yeah exactly. the lens line up is looking good. with some more lower budget options with the 35mm, 50mm, 85mm & 70-200mm

Agreed, it's definitely starting to mature as a lens line up with something for everyone on most budgets.
I've tried to go out the past 2 days with my R5 and 100-500 and each time I get out the heavens opened and I didn't even get the camera out of my bag. Think I'll just need to be patient :D

$199 for the RF 50mm f/1.8 and $1299 for the RF 70-200mm f/4L

This is way lower than I thought it would be, the f4 70-200 is a steal for that price and especially given how compact it is.

Edit: Apparently the source tweet for the 70-200mm f/4L suggested $1599 not $1299

Last edited:
$199 for the RF 50mm f/1.8 and $1299 for the RF 70-200mm f/4L

This is way lower than I thought it would be, the f4 70-200 is a steal for that price and especially given how compact it is.
Really? They're both double the current prices of the EF equivalents!

Really? They're both double the current prices of the EF equivalents!

The EF 1.8 is using a lens design that goes back to the early eighties isn't it?
So you should expect the newer RF version to be more expensive. Over the years the EF 50mm has slowly gone down in price.

As for the RF 70-200mm f4, you're paying for newer optics, better image stabilisation and a lens that is very light and small. You can always expect to pay more, especially when a lens is first released. It's basic economics. you charge more for the early adopters who want it straight away, then you reduce the price slightly to bring in the 'maybe if it's a little cheaper' people.

Last edited:
Well within a couple of days of getting my hands on this camera disaster has struck! I was attaching a lens to the R5 today and wondering why I couldn't get it to mount when I realised - I hadn't put an adapter on the EF lens !!!

I had a look and the mount is scratched and a bit of the inner edge is slightly roughened. I can't see any bits of metal loose in the ermmm hole or on the shutter and pictures seem fine and it's metering etc all fine so I'm seriously hoping its just some cosmetic damage, which is a bummer of course but not the end of the world. Fingers crossed. At teh very least it gave me pause. I can hardly believe I was such a klutz and I need to be more careful with this adapter routine.

The 70-200 isn’t though! It doesn’t cost much more than the latest f4 IS. Which is £1309 at Wex currently
Ah fair point! I was looking at the non-IS version which is £639 at Wex, but that's not quite a fair comparison.

Has anybody gone from a 5D4 to an R6? I would be interested to hear whether losing 10MP has made a difference to image quality.

Has anybody gone from a 5D4 to an R6? I would be interested to hear whether losing 10MP has made a difference to image quality.

Having owned double the resolution cameras i was a little concerned about the r6 having just 20. Having used it though I'm not finding theres been no reason to have concern. Im definitely cropping less though.

Having owned double the resolution cameras i was a little concerned about the r6 having just 20. Having used it though I'm not finding theres been no reason to have concern. Im definitely cropping less though.
Are you cropping less because you are able to see what you are getting with the R6 or because it can't take the crop?

So the 70-200/4 is going to be £1699 and the 50/1.8 is £219! Hardly bargains are they?

If someone were looking to try out an EOS R system on a budget, and was deciding between a used RP or used R, which would you recommend? Used prices at MPB start at £944 for the RP and £1279 for the R - is the R worth the extra or is the newer RP actually a better bet?

So the 70-200/4 is going to be £1699 and the 50/1.8 is £219! Hardly bargains are they?

Unfortunately the RF mount is Canon's new baby and these lenses are brand new, if you buy something just when it's released you pay early adopter prices.
I suspect the price of the RF 50mm will come down slightly but not too far.

As has already been posted above, a new EF 70-200mm F/4L is still costing you £1,309 on Wex, so you're paying a premium of £390 if you want the RF version with the control ring, lighter weight and extremely portable to pack in your bag (and of course factor in the cost of either the standard or control ring EF-RF adaptor).

Last edited:
If someone were looking to try out an EOS R system on a budget, and was deciding between a used RP or used R, which would you recommend? Used prices at MPB start at £944 for the RP and £1279 for the R - is the R worth the extra or is the newer RP actually a better bet?

Keep an eye on the Classifieds on here, my R should be going up on there in the next day or 2.
I was looking to price it at £1200 including RMSD deliver (or £1320 including the Canon battery grip).

Last edited:
Back