Canon EOS R Series Cameras

My first impressions have been much the same, after the 7D MKII and M5 I think I was expecting more for some reason and I still find the body much too small.

If you don't mind a slightly bulkier zoom I can recommend the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART in EF mount for the R7 ... chunky but the quality is excellent (and if you are into video I believe it's great for that as well)
Yeah. I must admit i got carried away with all the AF excitement when it was first announced, convinced myself i need it, and ordered it. I was aware the IQ wouldn't be different but as i had been wanting a ‘super’ M50 this is going to be perfect. As i said, im happy with the M50 so I knew I’ll be happy with the R7, its just not a purchase that blew me away, which for £1345 i was sort of hoping it would. As with my of my camera’s it’s the smaller things that impress me, and this has been no different. Things like different AF points depending on orientation. I used this a lot in my 5D4 so was hoping for this. Easy access to Auto ISO when using the EFV etc. these are what makes the camera perfect for me.
One thing i cant figured out, maybe you can help, is i cant seem to get the ISO button to work in Movie mode. It’s set to do this, but nothing happens when i press it. Im going to set it up to work in conjunction with a dial for on the fly ISO adjective anyway, but was a bit frustrated I couldn’t get it working as it was in Photo mode.

Thanks for the Sigma suggestion. As it happens my mate has this and i have already asked to borrow it. As much as i had to have the Adapter, i think ill treat myself to at least one RF lens. I wasn't aware how large the adapter is. The original plan was to use my EF-S 18-135 Nano STM most of the time, and for now i will, but would be nice to have something that was more compact and not needing the adapter.i use the 18-135 a lot on my M50 when i need multiple ranges, Im even looking at the 18-150 kit lens, just to replace that one, although not from a UK company.

Just bought the wife an R5 from Panamoz, in stock and delivered within a week but what REALLY sold it, UK is around £4300 for just the body with 12 month warranty, this one was £3715 delivered including . . . . . ef-rf adaptor / spare original battery / 256gb sd card / 256 cf express type b card AND a three year warranty. Registered with CPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting UK businesses but a saving of well over a grand is too good to miss, 'we' are all being shafted each and every day so why shouldn't we get a little back once in a while?
Even with show offers R5 was still ridiculous priced. So I settled for a third best the R6 which had reasonable offer except the warranty terms. Probably it was a big mistake; should have used panamoz on R5 if at all...

Even with show offers R5 was still ridiculous priced. So I settled for a third best the R6 which had reasonable offer except the warranty terms. Probably it was a big mistake; should have used panamoz on R5 if at all...

Probably not what you wanna hear…:D

But I agree with the last part of your post. In that (if funds permit) then always go for the one you wanted initially.

You may find you’ve made the right choice. After all, the R6 is a cracking camera.
But only you know whether it suits your needs.

Pretty much why I’ve never gone for the R7 as a sidekick for my R5.
Of all the great shots I’ve seen posted from it. After trying one briefly; it’s just completely impractical for the lenses I prefer to use handheld.

Wow, i was just looking at pricing for the RF 50mm f/1.8, and HDEW have it for £145, Amazon have it for £180, MPB have used ones for £179 and Panamoz have it for £350
£199 at Bristol Cameras

Wow, i was just looking at pricing for the RF 50mm f/1.8, and HDEW have it for £145, Amazon have it for £180, MPB have used ones for £179 and Panamoz have it for £350
Weird isn't it how some of the really big ticket items are a LOT cheaper but some of the lenses / converters aren't, myself - I have bought two bodies three lenses and lots of 'extras' and have saved on them all - just compare the sites first - sometimes a nicely worded email with link to the cheaper item works a treat ;-)

Probably not what you wanna hear…:D

But I agree with the last part of your post. In that (if funds permit) then always go for the one you wanted initially.

You may find you’ve made the right choice. After all, the R6 is a cracking camera.
But only you know whether it suits your needs.

Pretty much why I’ve never gone for the R7 as a sidekick for my R5.
Of all the great shots I’ve seen posted from it. After trying one briefly; it’s just completely impractical for the lenses I prefer to use handheld.
It seems like it will be just kept in reserve for when I need video or 20fps.

R5 would have replaced 5ds, this clearly does not

£199 at Bristol Cameras
Id always use Amazon if i can but HDEW is very tempting. Just more hassle.
Weird isn't it how some of the really big ticket items are a LOT cheaper but some of the lenses / converters aren't, myself - I have bought two bodies three lenses and lots of 'extras' and have saved on them all - just compare the sites first - sometimes a nicely worded email with link to the cheaper item works a treat ;-)
Yeah. I remember a few years ago Panamoz prices sky rocketed, as if they didnt want anyone to use them.
Ive used all the big name places, but these days steer clear of Digital Rev as i had a fake filter arrive from them, and it was a hassle to get a refund, and never had any explanation from them. I had used them in the past and was very happy.
These days most of my gear is UK purchased, as ive not seen any real savings by using the others (i dont buy much these days), but i will if i can and need to.

Just bought the wife an R5 from Panamoz, in stock and delivered within a week but what REALLY sold it, UK is around £4300 for just the body with 12 month warranty, this one was £3715 delivered including . . . . . ef-rf adaptor / spare original battery / 256gb sd card / 256 cf express type b card AND a three year warranty. Registered with CPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting UK businesses but a saving of well over a grand is too good to miss, 'we' are all being shafted each and every day so why shouldn't we get a little back once in a while?
Wow, albeit I did not get the extras, my R5 + ef-rf adaptor was just £3k 12 months ago now the price has crept up slightly.

Im probably going to send my R7 back to WEX. Im really struggling to confidently get sharp shots.
Im aware of the shutter shock issue, but i dont want to be forced to use the Electronic shutter.
Ive had some great shots, but these seem to be hit or miss. Im using my 18-135 Nano STM and i can easily shoot 1/40 handheld with it on my M50, but on the R7 the keeper rate is quite low. I know this is low for hand holding but id have expected with a lot more IS on tap it would be even easier to do.
I can see that using the Electronic shutter gives great results, so i know AF is fine and the camera can do it, just not with the mechanical shutter.
I dont want to be thinking about which mode i need to use when shooting, i just want to use what i want to use.

Im sure this is me and not the camera, but i just don't feel comfortable with it after two days of low keepers. Ill give it a few more days but if the keeper rate doesn't improve its going back.

Im probably going to send my R7 back to WEX. Im really struggling to confidently get sharp shots.
Im aware of the shutter shock issue, but i dont want to be forced to use the Electronic shutter.
Ive had some great shots, but these seem to be hit or miss. Im using my 18-135 Nano STM and i can easily shoot 1/40 handheld with it on my M50, but on the R7 the keeper rate is quite low. I know this is low for hand holding but id have expected with a lot more IS on tap it would be even easier to do.
I can see that using the Electronic shutter gives great results, so i know AF is fine and the camera can do it, just not with the mechanical shutter.
I dont want to be thinking about which mode i need to use when shooting, i just want to use what i want to use.

Im sure this is me and not the camera, but i just don't feel comfortable with it after two days of low keepers. Ill give it a few more days but if the keeper rate doesn't improve its going back.
Is there a known shutter-shock issue with the R7, and if so is it with some lenses and not others? I've had a few blurry shots from mine with the RF 18-150 in good light at quite fast shutter speeds so couldn't understand why they weren't sharp. But not seen the same problem with any other lenses, so maybe it's just that lens?

Is there a known shutter-shock issue with the R7, and if so is it with some lenses and not others? I've had a few blurry shots from mine with the RF 18-150 in good light at quite fast shutter speeds so couldn't understand why they weren't sharp. But not seen the same problem with any other lenses, so maybe it's just that lens?
Yes, it’s known thing apparently(also with other cameras). Only really noticeable under certain conditions but quite annoying now that I’ve experienced it.
Ive not looked in to it too much, but there are quite a few threads and posts around the net. I wasn’t bothered until I experienced it myself. It seems quite random, which is why i said ‘confidently’. I be had sharp shots at 1/40 hand held and soft shots at 1/200. Static objects.
Same settings with the Electronic shutter gives me tack sharp (as the Americans like to say) almost all the time. I just dont believe i should need to use it as the mechanical shutter is there to be used as well.
The first time i noticed something was up was when i took a few shots of a friend walking. This was at 1/200. Now i know what blur looks like, but wha it saw was something id never seen before. Even the static background and foreground were blurry. This was with my 18-135. Strangely, the day before i was getting lots of good shots with my 7-300L.
Ive been shooting for around 20 years so i know what to expect, and although im happy to admit its a new camera so i have to learn how it works its not off to a good start.

Yes, very quick play with it. Only a 4 shot stack but seemed to work very well. Only thing against it for me was that it outputs as a . jpeg.

View attachment 370766

That is surprising, as I though it would process a stacked jPeg and still store all the single RAW files !

The R10:

OK, take a look at your keyboard - the one on your desk...

See the "del" key on the numeric pad, and on that key is the dot or full stop?

Got that in your mind?

OK.

This globular springtail is smaller than that dot. These 2 were taken on the LAOWA 60mm 2:1 lens at close to full magnification, and then the images were cropped in post processing. The first one is not bang on the money, but close enough considering the size of the insect and given that it's after 11pm at night and very dark and it's always moving! The 2nd one is better, as it changed direction and is coming towards the camera and I just about got the eyes in focus.

I'm fairly sure this is Bourletiellidae sp. - a common springtail that can grow quite a bit bigger (maybe 5mm in size) so this suggests that mine here is very young.

newish_spring_A_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newish_spring_B_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Hi,
has any one got an adapter lead for Canon EOS DSLR trigger remote lead to new EOS R bodies ! ?
So it will be the funny square ish plug to a jack plug !
they are the same

Hi,
has any one got an adapter lead for Canon EOS DSLR trigger remote lead to new EOS R bodies ! ?
So it will be the funny square ish plug to a jack plug !
Is it the same one as the R6 takes? Meant be easier to buy a used one off MPB (please if it’s the right one for the R7).

Looks like the adapter cable is £50.

Last edited:
£50 for an adapter cable!

The controller looks like the one I had for my 40D. Lots of cheap versions available.

After a shaky start with my R7, and getting a returns number, ive decided to keep it. Ive taken over almost 900 shots i since i got it, and other than day two all the shots have been great.
I think my issue was using H+, lo-ish shutter speeds and full mechanical shutter. Since going to H, EFCS and/or ES ive been getting almost 100% keepers.
Now to start getting some RF lenses. Probably go for the 35 f/1.8 first, as i love using my 32mm f1/4 on my M50.

EOS R7 RAW Burst mode

Has anyone been trying this?? sounds like a good idea for flitting birds and other wildlife that is there then gone in a nano second.

Would be interested to know how the images are stored and how the subsequent PC CR2 file download works - specifically to Lightroom :)

D

Is it the same one as the R6 takes? Meant be easier to buy a used one off MPB (please if it’s the right one for the R7).

Looks like the adapter cable is £50.

I am hoping to get a Chinese knock off from Amazon, now I known Canon make one !

EOS R7 RAW Burst mode

Has anyone been trying this?? sounds like a good idea for flitting birds and other wildlife that is there then gone in a nano second.

Would be interested to know how the images are stored and how the subsequent PC CR2 file download works - specifically to Lightroom :)

D

I’ve used it often on Panasonic and Olympus cameras.
You get your normal burst mode images plus the ones recorded in the half second before you fully depressed the shutter.
You download the images perfectly normally into Lightroom.

A cheap wireless remote no good? I got one off Amazon for about £7 a few years ago and its worked with every Canon camera ive used.

I was hoping to utilise the pretty good one I have already....

UR232C Shutter Release Remote Control Cable Switch for Canon EOS R10 R7 R 90D 80D 77D 70D 250D 200D 850D 800D 760D 750D 700D 550D 500D 1500D G1X MarK III, G3 X, G5 X Replace Canon RS-60E3​

Wow, that is cheap ! ! !

I've just picked up the RF100-400 f5.6-8 IS USM

I traded in my old EF-S 55-250 IS (got £84 for that) then got a price match to cheaper store (saved another £40 for that) and there was a £200 trade-in bonus included.

Original cost £699 GBP but in the end I paid just £375 GBP

That's a decent bargain.

Just need to have a play with it now.

Paul.

Back