Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Good for you but I’m sure you will be aware of several others who are still waiting to get their camera.

I recently acquired the EOS R10 camera, and have now added the first zoom lens - the RF 100-400mm. Took it out for a half hour spin at a local reserve and these are the first images. Seems a decent enough bit of glass.

swans_and_cygnet_a_1800-XL.jpg

red_crested_pochard_and_mallard_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

red_crested_pochard_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

squirrel_nuts_a.nr_4k_1800-XL.jpg

squirrel_nuts_b_nr_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Is anyone using an L bracket on their R7? If so which model please. So far I've found Sunwayfoto make a dedicated R7 bracket but it doesn't appear available in the UK...unless anyone knows anything to the contrary

Is anyone using an L bracket on their R7? If so which model please. So far I've found Sunwayfoto make a dedicated R7 bracket but it doesn't appear available in the UK...unless anyone knows anything to the contrary

I nearly bought the Sunways bracket direct from them but then realised it doesn't go all the way under the body but stops about 3/4 of the way so there is nothing under the grip. I have more or less stopped using the R7 because it's just too small for me with a big lens on it.

I nearly bought the Sunways bracket direct from them but then realised it doesn't go all the way under the body but stops about 3/4 of the way so there is nothing under the grip. I have more or less stopped using the R7 because it's just too small for me with a big lens on it.
I'd primarily use it on a tripod so may not suffer from the same issue. I couldn't seem to find a UK listing for them or is it a question of importing directly from the USA or Far East

I'd primarily use it on a tripod so may not suffer from the same issue. I couldn't seem to find a UK listing for them or is it a question of importing directly from the USA or Far East

I couldn't find one in the UK although Amazon.com had them on there LINK they would be the best bet but I notice there is an interesting review that wasn't there before.

Do yourself a favor and don’t wast your time buying this product, you will end returning it as I did.
You won’t be able to use your screen fully open.
The product needs to be re-designed.

When my son gets the 3d printer set up I'm going to have a go at printing this for the R7 .Untitled.jpg

They all now need a full bloody grip, and surprise surprise no third party options. I haven't used the bloody thing for weeks now in favour of 5ds

I couldn't find one in the UK although Amazon.com had them on there LINK they would be the best bet but I notice there is an interesting review that wasn't there before.
The only other review I found was from DPReview
I just received my L bracket for my Canon R7 from SUNWAYFOTO. It works as described on their website. The model number is PCL-R7. It cost $49.95 plus $5 shipping.
I guess the other option in the interim is to use a cheap generic one. I've seen the 3 legged thing brackets mentioned for R5/R6 but a bit too pricey for me to take a punt on

The only other review I found was from DPReview
I just received my L bracket for my Canon R7 from SUNWAYFOTO. It works as described on their website. The model number is PCL-R7. It cost $49.95 plus $5 shipping.
I guess the other option in the interim is to use a cheap generic one. I've seen the 3 legged thing brackets mentioned for R5/R6 but a bit too pricey for me to take a punt on
The R5/R6 Lbracket is specially designed for those cameras. There is a generic one but it wont have the anti twist.

No L bracket I’d ever bought before having a Sony mirrorless camera ever went the full length of the camera underside. They always stopped before the battery door. The Sony’s needed the extra length to increase the depth of the camera grip as their cameras were far too short in height to hold nicely. The R6 with 3LT L bracket I have doesn’t need the extra depth as the grip already long enough for me.
The vertical side of the 3LT l bracket will impede the full opening of the screen. I find I have to open it 90 degrees then angle the screen to say 30 degrees then open it the rest of the way to 180 degrees (in line with the back of the camera). For anyone who’s used L brackets for years it’s a pretty acceptable compromise. I’d be unlikely to have the screen out flat to the side. I’d just turn it around and leave inside its surround if I wanted that.

So I picked up an RP. This is my first mirrorless and I seem to be having a strange sensation happen to my shots, that I expect I’ve simply not set something correctly.
My 7 YO son had a Halloween party this evening and found that I’m having changing areas become strangely brighter than other areas. (Sorry I can’t upload pics atm)
For example one of his friends was wearing a white T-shirt. Top top half of her top was darker than the bottom half. It was quite a definitive change. Go to the next shot and it’s changed completely.
Im sure it’s maybe a metering issue, but I‘be never came across something like this before and figured I’d ask on here as I’ve so far not found an expla nation for it anywhere ‍♂️

Just processed some more from that first day out: the cormorants were a very long way off - I was surprised I got any detail at all. The robin stood out quite well from the background with some nice blur despite the limiting f/8 aperture - afforded by the trees beyond being a long way from both me and the bird. Finally there was a bank vole - but the problem was a long 400mm zoom in very dark woodland conditions and the shutter speed was an awful 1/25sec meaning the slight movement of the bank vole was noticeable. That said, I was pleasantly surprised that I got these results to be honest...
3_birds_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

robin_a_4k-XL.jpg

bank_vole_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

They all now need a full bloody grip, and surprise surprise no third party options. I haven't used the bloody thing for weeks now in favour of 5ds
From what I’ve read, the R7 has no internal connections for a battery grip. I guess a Bluetooth version might be an option in the future…

From what I’ve read, the R7 has no internal connections for a battery grip. I guess a Bluetooth version might be an option in the future…
I'm sure that is another great feature worth paying extra for :mad:

Thus far, I’m not seeing a good reason to move away from my 7DII, and if I did I’d be more interested in a 1DX2. Not yet taken to the mirrorless Kool-ade.
I sold my 7Dmii early with the aim of getting the R7... I wish I'd waited, not seen results that suggest it's worth it to me just now, though I do miss the extra reach with the 1Dxii as my only body at times

Thus far, I’m not seeing a good reason to move away from my 7DII, and if I did I’d be more interested in a 1DX2. Not yet taken to the mirrorless Kool-ade.
Don't tempt me. I have a few bookmarked on eBay. Proper camera

I sold my 7Dmii early with the aim of getting the R7... I wish I'd waited, not seen results that suggest it's worth it to me just now, though I do miss the extra reach with the 1Dxii as my only body at times
You could crop like crazy from 5ds files and still have more mp. It will require serious denoising with such use, but it can't be any more than with 7d2. I have a feeling the underlying sensor architecture is similar in these two

So I picked up an RP. This is my first mirrorless and I seem to be having a strange sensation happen to my shots, that I expect I’ve simply not set something correctly.
My 7 YO son had a Halloween party this evening and found that I’m having changing areas become strangely brighter than other areas. (Sorry I can’t upload pics atm)
For example one of his friends was wearing a white T-shirt. Top top half of her top was darker than the bottom half. It was quite a definitive change. Go to the next shot and it’s changed completely.
Im sure it’s maybe a metering issue, but I‘be never came across something like this before and figured I’d ask on here as I’ve so far not found an expla nation for it anywhere ‍♂️
So I've managed to import my shots and while they're not the best, can someone have a look at let me know their thoughts please...

Attachments

• IMG_9258.jpg
    IMG_9258.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9259.jpg
    IMG_9259.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9260.jpg
    IMG_9260.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 26
So I've managed to import my shots and while they're not the best, can someone have a look at let me know their thoughts please...
Hi, there is uneven exposure on the 3 images. This phenomenon is called flicker, and this happens if you shoot an image with a fast shutter under a light source such as fluorescent light. Go to the menu, first tab, should be item 6, where you can find Anti-flicker shoot, enable it.

Hi, there is uneven exposure on the 3 images. This phenomenon is called flicker, and this happens if you shoot an image with a fast shutter under a light source such as fluorescent light. Go to the menu, first tab, should be item 6, where you can find Anti-flicker shoot, enable it.
Fantastic! Thank you very much for explaining.
will give that a try ☺️

Can only speak for myself - I went from 7D mk1 to R5 and it’s night and day in terms of quality and usability. I can now shoot above iso 400 and in dark conditions even at iso 3200 where I could only go to 200 on the 7D. Focus tracking and auto focus generally night and day.

Can’t speak for the 7D mk2 though as I don’t upgrade often. 20D -> 7D -> R5.

Reading the specs of the R6mkII I don’t think there is enough for any current R6 owner to upgrade to it. The 20MP to 24MP isn’t really enough of a jump to be noticeable. Why we now need 40fps I don’t know. I don’t even use 20fps as it gives far too many images to look through. I won’t be looking to change as the R6 does what I need it to do.

It seems canon are taking the same route as Sony releasing cameras at short intervals. The R6 was only released in July 2020 with the replacement in November 2022 coming 2.5 years later (saying that if it’s like the R7 then we won’t be seeing any until July 2023!)

I was hoping Canon would concentrate on RF lens development and leave camera development to the similar timespans as their DSLRs had. At least that way we would get some proper improvements than these incremental improvements.

Reading the specs of the R6mkII I don’t think there is enough for any current R6 owner to upgrade to it. The 20MP to 24MP isn’t really enough of a jump to be noticeable. Why we now need 40fps I don’t know. I don’t even use 20fps as it gives far too many images to look through. I won’t be looking to change as the R6 does what I need it to do.

It seems canon are taking the same route as Sony releasing cameras at short intervals. The R6 was only released in July 2020 with the replacement in November 2022 coming 2.5 years later (saying that if it’s like the R7 then we won’t be seeing any until July 2023!)

I was hoping Canon would concentrate on RF lens development and leave camera development to the similar timespans as their DSLRs had. At least that way we would get some proper improvements than these incremental improvements.

:plus1:

100% agree.

I was suprised to see it released so soon, Canon are usually about 4-5 years before they release an updated model. I really don't think it's enough of a jump for a current Mk1 owner. It's probably more suited to somebody who has older Canon cameras, somebody changing brands or starting off. I had a feeling we'd get one more R body this year but I expected it to be the R1.

Would the R6 Mk2 make me want to jump from my 5Div? No. Especially as I've only in the last week taken delivery of an R7.

I'm sure it's a very nice camera and they will sell bucket loads but I don't see anything in it just now that I need.

Last edited:
I am slightly tempted by the R6 MKII. I'd like to open up access to some faster lenses even the affordable f/1,8 lenses in the RF series seem to get great reviews?

I think Canon may have felt the need to respond to Sony A7Iv, particularly if their sales dipped recently. Another conspiracy theory I saw was that maybe Canon either ran out or can't source some key component of original R6 any more, and perhaps that sensor from 1Dx was too expensive.

I only have academic interest to see what kind of sensor is then 24MP. It is a simple old FSI design. Just what exactly can it do over the original R6. Is it an upgrade or a downgrade?

Video spec seem like a slight improvement; and obviously a big one if you have £1k+ external recorder which I don't nor plan to get. I haven't seen the detail, but it appears there are no downgrades like 4K60 crop. 30min+ is a nice bump but one I would be unlikely to max out. I only do very short 1-2min fragments, when I do anything at all.

40fps I fully agree is totally unnecessary. But luckily in e shutter mode H will give you old 20fps, so that's just fine. L is down to 5. Now why the hell is there still no 10-12 or custom option??!!! Furthermore e mode downgrades image to 12bit, thats for both gens of R6. I just saw that. Since you have to shoot anything moving in e mode due to s*** EVF that really hurts.

Oh and finally we still have the same old s*** garbage horse manure EVF abomination, and the same screen (which was fine - just looks a bit weak design on the hinge?). On that reason alone I'm 100% OUT. That is before we take into account massive sanctions. That's £930 more than I just paid for mk1 at the show! F that!

Would the R6 Mk2 make me want to jump from my 5Div, no. Especially as I've only in the last week taken delivery of an R7.
Don't. unless you need video or crazy fps stay well away from EVIL cameras

I think Canon may have felt the need to respond to Sony A7Iv, particularly if their sales dipped recently. Another conspiracy theory I saw was that maybe Canon either ran out or can't source some key component of original R6 any more, and perhaps that sensor from 1Dx was too expensive.

I only have academic interest to see what kind of sensor is then 24MP. It is a simple old FSI design. Just what exactly can it do over the original R6. Is it an upgrade or a downgrade?

Video spec seem like a slight improvement; and obviously a big one if you have £1k+ external recorder which I don't nor plan to get. I haven't seen the detail, but it appears there are no downgrades like 4K60 crop. 30min+ is a nice bump but one I would be unlikely to max out. I only do very short 1-2min fragments, when I do anything at all.

40fps I fully agree is totally unnecessary. But luckily in e shutter mode H will give you old 20fps, so that's just fine. L is down to 5. Now why the hell is there still no 10-12 or custom option??!!! Furthermore e mode downgrades image to 12bit, thats for both gens of R6. I just saw that. Since you have to shoot anything moving in e mode due to s*** EVF that really hurts.

Oh and finally we still have the same old s*** garbage horse manure EVF abomination, and the same screen (which was fine - just looks a bit weak design on the hinge?). On that reason alone I'm 100% OUT. That is before we take into account massive sanctions. That's £930 more than I just paid for mk1 at the show! F that!
its probably the same kind of sensor in R3 without the "stacking".
As far as I can tell unless you drop the bit depth and dynamic range massively you cannot shoot 20-40fps electronically. Only way to achieve both is with stacked sensor.

Electronic shutter on anything but a stacked sensor seem to come with issues like loss in quality or banding or noise or all of them.

Back