Canon FF mirrorless...

According to CanonRumours there will be a firmware update a couple of months after release.

What’s coming in the firmware?

• Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
  • Additional touch bar functionality added.
  • Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
  • A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
  • Bug fixes
I thought canon is a company you can rely on and always gets its release perfect?

The LCD pops out in portrait orientation so you can look down while shooting in that mode, is that not what you meant? It doesn't help for over head in portrait mode, no, but it's at least there as an option
Tilt-720x649.jpg
I understand how it works, but the fully articulating out to the side design is more versatile imho. If I had the camera in portrait orientation I could tilt the LCD away from the body to look down on it, and if I was below the body I could spin the LCD out and away for the body and then tilt it down. And it also has the benefit of the LCD being able to be turned against the body when not in use.

Nikon have use that design in some of they D5*** cameras, but have chosen to go with the tilt up/down design for their higher spec cameras, including the Z cameras. I think the fully articulating screen is one of the plus design choices for the EOS R.

I understand how it works, but the fully articulating out to the side design is more versatile imho. If I had the camera in portrait orientation I could tilt the LCD away from the body to look down on it, and if I was below the body I could spin the LCD out and away for the body and then tilt it down. And it also has the benefit of the LCD being able to be turned against the body when not in use.

Nikon have use that design in some of they D5*** cameras, but have chosen to go with the tilt up/down design for their higher spec cameras, including the Z cameras. I think the fully articulating screen is one of the plus design choices for the EOS R.

What I'm saying is I'd love to see both in one. 90% of the time I wish I just had the plain tilt up/down LCD like my X-T1, but there are times when I'm glad of the articulating LCD I guess, I just don't want it sticking out the side most times. It is handy for portrait though and I find it can be handy for awkward angle macro

flippyflappy.jpg

Excuse the crap quality my phone cam is pants

Last edited:
I flicked through it earlier, I can't stomach him for more than a few minutes

I think he's pretty restrained in this vid. ;)

Yeah it was very scripted, or felt like it. I used to watch him years ago, even joined his little forum, but I got very tired of the ego and back tracking in his 'reviews'. He used to rail on Ken Rockwell all the time but he's much more of a suck up than Ken ever was. KR was just a Nikon nut, Polin is a suck off anyone who'll pay the most type. The whole "I shoot RAW" thing just seems dumb these days too.

He does show the camera in action more than most others though, so it's worth a watch just for that. And he's honest enough, he states it is slightly above the 6D series, but not as good as the 5DmkIV. He also reckons dslr will die over the next 3 year , and sadly, I agree with him on that.

I didn't get that feeling.

Look through his shades, see his eyes going left to right like he's reading ... :D tbh I think it's just the irritating way he talks, he's gotten worse for ... this ... pause every .... few words, makes it feel to me like he's reading from a script almost. Maybe not .... so ... literally

Last edited:
Look through his shades, see his eyes going left to right like he's reading ... :D tbh I think it's just the irritating way he talks, he's gotten worse for ... this ... pause every .... few words, makes it feel to me like he's reading from a script almost. Maybe not .... so ... literally

....He said a lot of interesting things about the camera. His style of presentation is just the way he is - Honest and informative - IF he is reading from a script which he prepared earlier, so what. I look forward to his review vid in due course.

....He said a lot of interesting things about the camera. His style of presentation is just the way he is - Honest and informative - IF he is reading from a script which he prepared earlier, so what. I look forward to his review vid in due course.

He's not reading, that was a joke. I will continue to support your non understanding of wit until further notice. I mean, you clearly don't read yourself, maybe re-non-read my post before going off on another Bingo rant. If I think he's a dick, you're not changing my mind that's for sure, ye get me? huh? ;)

Last edited:
Rushed to market, which is very unlike Canon.

I think it is very clear that the A73 came out 6 months ago really knocked them (and Nikon) sideways. I'd think these cameras could probably to do with 6 more months in the oven in their original schedule.

Most likely, from what I’ve heard from retailers, the Sony A7 III is flying off the shelves like the hottest cakes available!
Imo, the Canon R should have been released a year ago before the Sony A7 III came out both down to its actually specification & price.

Canon may have done enough in their R system to retain some loyal Canon shooters from going to Sony but whoever stats will have to pay the hefty prices for both the body and lenses.
Yes I’ve heard that EF lenses work like they do on a DSLR body, but imo you might as well stick with a DSLR and save yourself £3k!

Canon EOS R: Best vlogging camera (is flawed)

According to Mr Northrop...

Most likely, from what I’ve heard from retailers, the Sony A7 III is flying off the shelves like the hottest cakes available!
Imo, the Canon R should have been released a year ago before the Sony A7 III came out both down to its actually specification & price.

Canon may have done enough in their R system to retain some loyal Canon shooters from going to Sony but whoever stats will have to pay the hefty prices for both the body and lenses.
Yes I’ve heard that EF lenses work like they do on a DSLR body, but imo you might as well stick with a DSLR and save yourself £3k!

I think if you’re a photographer that uses wide and relatively short focal length lenses then a move could be viable. If your a long focal length or extreme wide angle user then the picture may not be so rosy unless you have native lenses.

Couldn't stand too much of his review, drilling, it's a camera not the cure of cancer.
The camera is huge, that lens was enormous, I 'm struggling to see why I would buy either over a conventional DSLR at present.

Last edited:
He also reckons dslr will die over the next 3 year , and sadly, I agree with him on that.

I doubt it will be as quick as that tbh.

Maybe Canikon will introduce more DSLR's and lenses but the future is a change to mirrorless sooner or later.

If I hadn't gone mirrorless years ago and was just thinking about it now I doubt I'd be investing too much in DSLR's or lenses but that's just me. DSLR's aren't going to disappear over night and neither are their lenses but we'll surely see a slowdown in both new bodies and lenses and a corresponding increase in mirrorless bodies and lenses and of course we'll see new features and better abilities that DSLR's simply can't match.

Last edited:
As much as I don’t mind the DSLR size, this new Canon RF mount’s its native lenses seems to have gone 30/50% bigger and heavier. Whilst I don’t buy into mirrorless = smaller set up, I don’t really want a larger kit, if I want the best lenses available.

Maybe Canikon will introduce more DSLR's and lenses but the future is a change to mirrorless sooner or later.

If I hadn't gone mirrorless years ago and was just thinking about it now I doubt I'd be investing too much in DSLR's or lenses but that's just me. DSLR's aren't going to disappear over night and neither are their lenses but we'll surely see a slowdown in both new bodies and lenses and a corresponding increase in mirrorless bodies and lenses and of course we'll see new features and better abilities that DSLR's simply can't match.
That's actually a very good point, we may well be seeing the beginning of Canon moving away from cameras with mirrors. For me I don't like small cameras, so will stay with DSLR, but if a mirror less camera can do what a DSLR can do and isn't small it would tempt me, at present I wouldn't swap to mirrorless because the R is too expensive and offers little above what a DSLR offers. If in a couple of years a lower priced/spec R can do what my 5D3 can do and more at a good price then loosing the mirror wouldn't worry me, it removes a potential failure point too.

....As Tony Northrup points out so well in his excellent report (Reply #1094), this first Canon EOS-R body has some serious shortcomings but it also has some great features as a result of being mirrorless. Loyal Canon shooters and those who have faith in Canon will simply wait to assess what other mirrorless bodies they bring out will have to offer rather than jump ship just based on this first R body.

Based on what we know so far it looks to me that the quality of Canon's newly launched R lenses is beyond question and when future higher spec R bodies join the EOS system then anyone jumping ship now will probably regret it.

If you are serious about your photography and are already using the Canon EOS system, the "hefty" prices are worth it in my opinion. If you are on a low budget, then why did you buy into the EOS system in the first place?

....Stick with a D-SLR for now, yes. But only because this first R body may not suit your needs (it doesn't suit mine). In any event there is no reason to dump a Canon D-SLR in favour of a mirrorless R as they can happily live side by side within the same EOS system.

Hats off to Canon for looking after their existing D-SLR user customers. There is nothing wrong with an original brand's lens adapter and Canon have introduced 3 exciting versions to choose from with of course the possibility of introducing future versions.

That's actually a very good point, we may well be seeing the beginning of Canon moving away from cameras with mirrors. For me I don't like small cameras, so will stay with DSLR, but if a mirror less camera can do what a DSLR can do and isn't small it would tempt me, at present I wouldn't swap to mirrorless because the R is too expensive and offers little above what a DSLR offers. If in a couple of years a lower priced/spec R can do what my 5D3 can do and more at a good price then loosing the mirror wouldn't worry me, it removes a potential failure point too.

I think for some people mirrorless offers definite advantages, not having the whole micro adjust all your lenses faff on, seeing the exposure and possibly the DoF too before you take the shot and the ease of manual focusing spring to mind.

I suppose we may well see cheaper mirrorless offerings but the general trend seems to be towards the more expensive end of things and with this camera we're talking FF so for significantly cheaper offerings people may have to look to APS-C or MFT but the upward price trend seems to be in operation there too. At the moment you can get an entry level APS-C DSLR and a kit lens or two lens bundle for a very reasonable price and I don't know if we'll see that sort of bargain in the mirrorless and possibly more expensive future.

....As Tony Northrup points out so well in his excellent report (Reply #1094),

If you are on a low budget, then why did you buy into the EOS system in the first place?

What a dumb thing to say! Seriously! So those with less money shouldn't buy Canon? Is it some elitist system for the rich only? Get down off your strange cloud. Canon are the one company that continuously cater for the budget shooter. Do you even know their range? They have way more low end models than upper. That's like saying 'if you can afford the higher end Canon stuff, why don't you buy a Phase one'?

Also, Tony Northrup ... and excellent? LOL.

There's an awful lot of crap gets posted around here, this high and mighty attitude among so-called photographers is embarrassing.

Last edited:
What a dumb thing to say! Seriously! So those with less money shouldn't buy Canon? Is it some elitist system for the rich only? Get down off your strange cloud. Canon are the one company that continuously cater for the budget shooter. Do you even know their range? They have way more low end models than upper. That's like saying 'if you can afford the higher end Canon stuff, why don't you buy a Phase one'?

There's an awful lot of crap gets posted around here, this high and mighty attitude among so-called photographers is embarrassing.

That raised an eyebrow with me too.

One advantage both Canon and Nikon offer is reasonably priced basic kit... if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:
That raised an eyebrow with me too.

One advantage both Canon and Nikon offer is reasonable priced basic kit... if that's what you're looking for.

It's the usual sneaky digs on here as if there's some 'us and them' - it happens whenever someone posts anything 'pro' related too. I can't tell if this place makes them burrow further up themselves or they were always this way? Canon have a tonne of cheap and cheerful gear, and there is no reason whatsoever why someone who may have other responsibilities over buying expensive photography gear shouldn't want the best. I may not be able to splash out on camera gear willy nilly, but I took delivery yesterday of a brand new tumble dryer and 43" TV as both items decided to break down within 2 weeks ... now if I was a greedy pig I could have skipped those and got myself a nice new lens.

Bryan on his Digital Picture website always has valuable reviews and thoughts. Here is a link to his* thoughts on the Canon EOS-R :

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=28512

*EDITED to say that the author of the thoughts on Bryan's website are by Sean Setters. However, this has no bearing on the content - I simply made a small error.

:)

Last edited:
Bryan on his Digital Picture website always has valuable reviews and thoughts. Here is a link to his thoughts on the Canon EOS-R :

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=28512

:)

Gotta wonder about people saying stuff like this though...

"Lenses that demonstrate the advantages of the new mount – an f/2 constant max aperture general purpose zoom with full-frame coverage (a world's first) and a high-performing 50mm f/1.2 lens"

As with Nikons marketing pronouncements - I know it's been said a thousand times but this isn't earth shattering news. There have been f1.2 and faster lenses for years and even faster than f2.8 zooms too. This might be the worlds first 28-70mm f2, I don't know, but it's not the first f2 zoom and it's not even the first f2 FF zoom. None of this is new (maybe it's the first AF 50 f1.2, I don't know, but certainly there have been f1.2 and faster 50's for donkeys years) and possibly none of it unique to this new lens mount.

I just get tired of all this "It's the first time this has been possible" marketing smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:

....I didn't say that people with less money shouldn't buy Canon - I questioned their wisdom in buying into the EOS D-SLR system.

Hey, if Phase One's cameras were suitable for shooting wildlife I would probably love one.

You would be a fool to suggest that I am a "so-called photographer" - My Flickr pages demonstrate that I am a good photographer - Not the best but certainly worthy of the title. I'll leave it to others than yourself to judge without the cloudy mist in their eyes.

....I didn't say that people with less money shouldn't buy Canon - I questioned their wisdom in buying into the EOS D-SLR system.

Hey, if Phase One's cameras were suitable for shooting wildlife I would probably love one.

You would be a fool to suggest that I am a "so-called photographer" - My Flickr pages demonstrate that I am a good photographer - Not the best but certainly worthy of the title. I'll leave it to others than yourself to judge without the cloudy mist in their eyes.

You questioned their wisdom? Well go you, how entitled you must feel to Lord above those who don't send as much on gear they don't need as you do. You can buy into the EOS system for a couple hundred quid. I could buy a 40D and a 50mm today if I wanted. But I'll save for better. There's a difference between not having money and being budget conscious.

You seriously judge people based upon their Flickr page? Heck, barely 5% of my images make it there.

Proof that you don't even know what you're posting anymore "by Sean Setters" unless his other name is Bryan.

....If you want to attack me at every opportunity and be pedantic rather than read the content and if you are more concerned with my minor errors in missing the author's name, then that's up to you.

Bryan's The Digital-Picture website regularly has informative and useful content in my opinion. If your opinion is different, I ceased to have respect for you some time ago, unfortunately.

I agree, but I just think it will be a considerable time before DSLRs disappear (y)

....If you want to attack me at every opportunity and be pedantic rather than read the content and if you are more concerned with my minor errors in missing the author's name, then that's up to you.

Bryan's The Digital-Picture website regularly has informative and useful content in my opinion. If your opinion is different, I ceased to have respect for you some time ago, unfortunately.

I'm calling you out for your stupid remarks, not attacking you for no reason, but go ahead and play the victim all of a sudden :rolleyes:

You ceased to have respect for me because of some website you have no idea who writes for? lol, you are bucket fulls of silly today

Plus did he admit he is a canon fanboy? Hehe
I'm calling you out for your stupid remarks, not attacking you for no reason, but go ahead and play the victim all of a sudden :rolleyes:

You ceased to have respect for me because of some website you have no idea who writes for? lol, you are bucket fulls of silly today

I actually feel much more sorry for fanboys of anything, than I do for people with no money to buy what they'd like

Do you read Bryan's blog written by Sean? You have no credibility if not! :D

Last edited:
I agree, but I just think it will be a considerable time before DSLRs disappear (y)

Disappear? It'll be a long time until they do that but maybe they'll fade away and not last as long as SLR's did / have if only for the reason that the electronics in many of them will have long since given up and stopped working, ditto with the lenses. Much of this stuff will be an unusable paperweight in 20 years time.

Some of my manual lenses will still be useable, maybe after a service, in 100 years time :D if anyone cares :D but electronic bodies and fly by wire lenses wont be.

Why shouldn’t he be. It works for him, allows him to persue his passion and that’s all anyone needs. This chasing photographic nirvana by buying the latest and greatest only to produce the same sort of images that were being produced before isn’t for everyone. Robin is unapologetic for his view of Canon which is a bloody sight more refreshing to see than others who claim they are not fanboys of a particular system.

Back