Canon FF mirrorless...

Can't say I have ever gone and looked to see whether anyone as posted pictures so I could make judgement to undermine their opinion. But each to their own eh!

....By seeing someone's photos I can make more informed judgements about their comments. So if I think their photos are crap (or shall we be polite and say leave much to be desired) then I am inclined to respect their opinion less. In your case because I think, as already said, that your photos I have seen are excellent I have some respect for your opinions when talking about camera gear and photography in general.

Nothing is perfect, but you find in situations like this when a new product is announced/released people can discuss the pro's and cons of design choices, and how they compare to the opposition, but the fanboys either don't admit to anything wrong or deficient. And if they do, it is probably part of some plan than we mere mortals are not intelligent enough to understand, but they can. :confused: And it will all be OK at some unspecified point in the future anyway with no evidence to support that thinking. :rolleyes: What is that phrase, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." ;) :LOL:

Glad that you are happy being a fanboy. :)

....Yes, I have posted many times that no camera gear is perfect and am sure it never will be because we each have very differing needs from it as a tool. So what is 'perfect' or 'best' for one user isn't so for another,

I have never said that there is nothing wrong with the new Canon EOS-R - Straightaway the painfully slow fps is a deal-breaker for my use (as I have already posted in this thread).

Yes I am happy being a fanboy and my definition of that is that I feel I can rely on the brand to mostly deliver what I want, even if it's not immediate. I do so very much influenced by experience.

Even Canon's flagship 1DX-2 is not perfect! I hate the on/off switch.

Last edited:
He has link's proving Phil wrong.

He doesn’t.
He had a point about the US figures, but there’s no single report to get figures for worldwide. We do have some figures though, so I could speculate...

Canon have 59% of the worldwide camera w interchangeable lens market, Sony have 13%.

We also know that DSLRs make up over 50% of that figure, it’s nigh on impossible for Sony to close that gap, I could do a spreadsheet and some nice pie charts, but not for these wages ;) to get close you’d have to assume that all Canon sales are DSLR, but we know that Canon are selling more in Japan than Sony so that’s unlikely.

Over to you if you can come up with a better analysis, or is it still twists turn with the brain cell you share ;)

Potential rx camera rumours.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/canon-eos-rx-rumours-and-specs

Could come out before the Olympics?

....The Olympics would seem to be a perfect time to have a more 'professional' spec Canon EOS-R version body available in that huge shed full of Canon gear for photographers to borrow.

Such timing would also have the major benefit of free advertising to the world what the camera can do when shooting sports.

Also, aren't the next Olympics in Tokyo, Canon's spiritual home? And Japan is also home to Nikon and Sony. I don't know if Sony's cameras have been taken up by professional sports/action/wildlife photographers - I haven't noticed much evidence of it although I could be missing it because I'm not interested in using Sony's cameras (I have owned a Sony camera and briefly used others).

Roll on 2020!

But if Canon's 7D-2 is their sports/wildlife/action body, might a 7D-3 be offered or officially announced in the near future and well before the Olympics? A mirrorless EOS 'R7' perhaps?

Last edited:
He doesn’t.
He had a point about the US figures, but there’s no single report to get figures for worldwide. We do have some figures though, so I could speculate...

Canon have 59% of the worldwide camera w interchangeable lens market, Sony have 13%.

We also know that DSLRs make up over 50% of that figure, it’s nigh on impossible for Sony to close that gap, I could do a spreadsheet and some nice pie charts, but not for these wages ;) to get close you’d have to assume that all Canon sales are DSLR, but we know that Canon are selling more in Japan than Sony so that’s unlikely.

Over to you if you can come up with a better analysis, or is it still twists turn with the brain cell you share ;)

Half a braincell is better than the none you have knob.

Last edited:
Have watched a few youtube vids over the weekend of some of the recently released stuff. Not because I'm likely to buy, or at least not for a long while but just because I enjoy it. But....

If I hear one more uttering of the phrase 'This week, I went hands on with *insert camera*' or use of the term 'ergos', I think I'm going to scream. Banning myself from youtube for a while.

For a lot of people it doesn’t matter how good Sony is compared with Canon/Nikon in either mirrorless or compared to their DSLRs. For people with a relatively extensive system the cost to change is prohibitive. For me to change to Sony, with the closest equivalents to what I have now would cost £22000. If I sold all my Canon gear it wouldn’t even come close to that figure and I would drop from 2 bodies to one so no back up. It’s simply a non starter. To get someone like me to change Sony would have to offer lenses such as 400 f4/5.6 or 500 f5.6 to bring the cost down a bit and I can’t see them doing that.

That's not true of every shooter, though. The cost for me to change to Nikon mirrorless as a Nikon shooter was much greater than changing my entire system to Sony. And that is before I factored in the few grand needed to replace all my SD cards with equivalent XQD.

Have watched a few youtube vids over the weekend of some of the recently released stuff. Not because I'm likely to buy, or at least not for a long while but just because I enjoy it. But....

If I hear one more uttering of the phrase 'This week, I went hands on with *insert camera*' or use of the term 'ergos', I think I'm going to scream. Banning myself from youtube for a while.

The more I ponder on all these new cameras, the less interested I become. It's all GAS innit? Do any of us 'need' these new gimmicky models? I'm not talking about professionals, though I don't think they need all the latest gimmicks either. They've managed well enough without them up until now. I feel many who do switch or upgrade will be left wanting still, I don't think we as photographers will ever be completely satisfied. When did we become such wussies that we cry about a card slot? or 4K video we barely ever make good use of? or a flippy LCD so we can better compose selfies or film vlogs where 90% of the footage is of our own fat heads? or bursts of 20+ fps! Seriously? Way to clock up that shutter count

I agree on the youtube preview brigade, seen a few now where they admit to only having used the camera for an hour but continue to rant and rave for 20 minutes on how amazing it is. I'm not trusting anyone who hasn't used the heck out of it for at least a couple of weeks. And I'm not touching any sponsored by BS

I was almost excited by the new Fuji, but after seeing the gallery samples on dpr and AP UK ... meh ... The higher ISO ones turn to mush, I see that old Fuji artifact problem is still present, very uninspiring. I actually much prefer the noise from M43 sensors, it's finer, and more uniform, easier to clean up. It makes me wonder about those who showed off high ISO images from the camera showing very little noise and certainly none of the wonky noise issues. Again, I'd wait to see proper in depth reviews and especially would like to see how LR handles the RAW files

Last edited:
That's not true of every shooter, though. The cost for me to change to Nikon mirrorless as a Nikon shooter was much greater than changing my entire system to Sony. And that is before I factored in the few grand needed to replace all my SD cards with equivalent XQD.

It depends on what kit you’ve got though. I’ve built up my kit over the last 10 years and the Sony kit I’d be interested in as a minimum would be an A9, 400 f2.8, 100-400, 1.4 and 2.0 converters. So £17000 approx to end up with less than half the kit I’ve got now. Never going to happen no matter how good they are.

Not really, just getting back to you about what you are. I gave you the source that you misquoted and you don't like being proven wrong so you get upset and insult people.
Did you read my post? we’re now discussing worldwide sales and your mate was swinging about posting that you had figures to prove me wrong.
Do you?
I treat as i find, I’m polite to 99% of posters here, I’d suggest if I’ve ever been impolite to you there’s probably a reason for it. And btw it wouldn’t be that I was wrong about something, I’m a grown up and have admitted you were correct about the US figures, even though you didn’t provide the source when asked and I had to find it myself.

I should be having some hands on time with the Z7 this week and am very interested to see how the ergonomics are :whistle:

Did you read my post? we’re now discussing worldwide sales and your mate was swinging about posting that you had figures to prove me wrong.
Do you?
I treat as i find, I’m polite to 99% of posters here, I’d suggest if I’ve ever been impolite to you there’s probably a reason for it. And btw it wouldn’t be that I was wrong about something, I’m a grown up and have admitted you were correct about the US figures, even though you didn’t provide the source when asked and I had to find it myself.

And if you had read my response to him you would've seen I don't want any part in the latest argument, he must've misread the details we discussed, that's not my fault but you still felt the need to insult me again. You're wrong, I politely provided you the source which you requested.

Last edited:
Isn't the cost of swapping brands all relative to the amount of disposable income we all have. So the cost for one doesn't necessarily relate to the cost for someone else.
I don't have much camera gear that's brand specific, 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 1 flash, but i don't have much spare money each month so for me the cost would be high (not that I'm looking to change anything, I'm quite happy with the brand and model that I use).

Isn't the cost of swapping brands all relative to the amount of disposable income we all have. So the cost for one doesn't necessarily relate to the cost for someone else.
I don't have much camera gear that's brand specific, 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 1 flash, but i don't have much spare money each month so for me the cost would be high (not that I'm looking to change anything, I'm quite happy with the brand and model that I use).

Also, the cost to sell stuff bought new to buy new again means the user would lose even more due to depreciation.... That alone could be thousands.

The more I ponder on all these new cameras, the less interested I become. It's all GAS innit? Do any of us 'need' these new gimmicky models? I'm not talking about professionals, though I don't think they need all the latest gimmicks either. They've managed well enough without them up until now. I feel many who do switch or upgrade will be left wanting still, I don't think we as photographers will ever be completely satisfied. When did we become such wussies that we cry about a card slot? or 4K video we barely ever make good use of? or a flippy LCD so we can better compose selfies or film vlogs where 90% of the footage is of our own fat heads? or bursts of 20+ fps! Seriously? Way to clock up that shutter count

I agree on the youtube preview brigade, seen a few now where they admit to only having used the camera for an hour but continue to rant and rave for 20 minutes on how amazing it is. I'm not trusting anyone who hasn't used the heck out of it for at least a couple of weeks. And I'm not touching any sponsored by BS

I was almost excited by the new Fuji, but after seeing the gallery samples on dpr and AP UK ... meh ... The higher ISO ones turn to mush, I see that old Fuji artifact problem is still present, very uninspiring. I actually much prefer the noise from M43 sensors, it's finer, and more uniform, easier to clean up. It makes me wonder about those who showed off high ISO images from the camera showing very little noise and certainly none of the wonky noise issues. Again, I'd wait to see proper in depth reviews and especially would like to see how LR handles the RAW files

Bless all those GAS sufferers and early adopters though, who pre-order this stuff at the first opportunity - keeps everyone in business and prices vaguely affordable.

I'm especially bored with vloggers - most have never even seen the cameras and are just talking heads regurgitating everything we already know. Meaningless blather overlaid with ignorant speculation and BS.

And while mirrorless has certainly 'arrived' and can only get better, my next camera (overdue now - it's been on hold since the landmark Sony A9) will most likely be a DSLR. IMHO we're still a couple of years away from that being clearly the wrong decision.

Bless all those GAS sufferers and early adopters though, who pre-order this stuff at the first opportunity - keeps everyone in business and prices vaguely affordable.

I'm especially bored with vloggers - most have never even seen the cameras and are just talking heads regurgitating everything we already know. Meaningless blather overlaid with ignorant speculation and BS.

And while mirrorless has certainly 'arrived' and can only get better, my next camera (overdue now - it's been on hold since the landmark Sony A9) will most likely be a DSLR. IMHO we're still a couple of years away from that being clearly the wrong decision.

As a serial secondhand buyer, I'm getting more excited at the prospect of cheaper used DSLR specific lenses or D850's turning up in charity shops for £25. We can but hope. :)

....By seeing someone's photos I can make more informed judgements about their comments. So if I think their photos are crap (or shall we be polite and say leave much to be desired) then I am inclined to respect their opinion less. In your case because I think, as already said, that your photos I have seen are excellent I have some respect for your opinions when talking about camera gear and photography in general.

....Yes, I have posted many times that no camera gear is perfect and am sure it never will be because we each have very differing needs from it as a tool. So what is 'perfect' or 'best' for one user isn't so for another,

I have never said that there is nothing wrong with the new Canon EOS-R - Straightaway the painfully slow fps is a deal-breaker for my use (as I have already posted in this thread).

Yes I am happy being a fanboy and my definition of that is that I feel I can rely on the brand to mostly deliver what I want, even if it's not immediate. I do so very much influenced by experience.

Even Canon's flagship 1DX-2 is not perfect! I hate the on/off switch.
So leaving out people who are tech nerd with a lot of knowledge on cameras specs, tech and the math that's involved but not very artistic or creative? Well then :thinking:
Not that I'm either but I have seen Meh average pictures from people who are like online encyclopedias

Last edited by a moderator:

Disposable income obviously plays a part, but that doesn't change the fact that for the many millions of existing Canon and Nikon users with an investment in gear, swapping to Sony multiplies the cost. For me (and also for you by the looks) I could get an EOS R for a couple of grand whereas swapping to Sony would cost me three or four times as much. Not going to happen even if I wanted to (and fortunately I don't).

For Canikon, the overwhelming priority is to secure existing users. They've done that I think, and bought some time to develop the tech - which still has some way to go.

Well said! Much as I hate to encourage them, they do us all a service.

Quote from another place:

Been watching the early reviews roll in from Youtube land, and the first impressions from the Hawaii conference seem to indicate that the Canon R has pretty mediocre AF performance, and not up to par with the latest Sony flagships (including the A7III). Of course this is very early and they all say the same thing - wait until the full reviews in good light and with more subjects. But with multiple sources saying that the AF is only just so-so, I think it is best to wait and see on this camera if AF speed/accuracy is important to you.

From Photographyblog:

"you'll get a better experience using Canon EF lenses on a Sony Alpha body with a Sigma adapter that by using the Canon EOS R with a Canon EF lens using a Canon adapter,"

Thats absolute rubbish from the last quote. No way is that true

Me too; I was contemplating - still am in fact - the move to a D850 which must have been the "least slagged off at introduction" model for a very long time, but as I get older the thought of finding my way around a new layout and menu sytem becomes ever more daunting. Then there's the question of mirrorless; like you I don't feel it's right for me yet, but in two years....who knows.... Even though it is early days yet it does look like Canon have the most promising system so would I be shooting myself in the foot moving over to Nikon at this point? That's a rhetorical question but I'd be interested to know which direction you think you'll be going for your next camera body. .

Me too; I was contemplating - still am in fact - the move to a D850 which must have been the "least slagged off at introduction" model for a very long time, but as I get older the thought of finding my way around a new layout and menu sytem becomes ever more daunting. Then there's the question of mirrorless; like you I don't feel it's right for me yet, but in two years....who knows.... Even though it is early days yet it does look like Canon have the most promising system so would I be shooting myself in the foot moving over to Nikon at this point? That's a rhetorical question but I'd be interested to know which direction you think you'll be going for your next camera body. .
The D850 is epic. I quite fancy nikon to put everything they can on there camera bodies rather then canon who have been conservative since the 5d3 days

The D850 is epic. I quite fancy nikon to put everything they can on there camera bodies rather then canon who have been conservative since the 5d3 days

D850 is an incredibly accomplished camera, currently at the pinnacle of DSLR design. Pretty sure we'll see an even better D860 sometime soon, which could end up being the best DSLR of all time. Or the Canon 5DMk5 (y)

So leaving out people who are tech nerd with a lot of knowledge on cameras specs, tech and the math that's involved but not very artistic or creative? Well then :thinking:
Not that I'm either but I have seen Meh average pictures from people who are like online encyclopedias

....Sorry but I am more impressed by the end results, i.e. their photographs, whoever they are.

Anyway, you seem to be ignoring the context of my earlier post which you are quoting.

Last edited:
Also, the cost to sell stuff bought new to buy new again means the user would lose even more due to depreciation.... That alone could be thousands.

If you're accustomed to a healthy second hand market you're in for some pain whichever mirrorless system you opt for, not only do you face no real availability of used lenses but the new designs are usually (a lot) more expensive at retail.

If you're accustomed to a healthy second hand market you're in for some pain whichever mirrorless system you opt for, not only do you face no real availability of used lenses but the new designs are usually (a lot) more expensive at retail.

I've mentioned this before as being a bit of barrier to Sony's system in the past. Opt for a Canon or Nikon DSLR and you can choose a lens selection to basically suit any budget. Buy a Sony A7 (or now a Z6/Z7 or EOS R) and you're basically going to be buying new. And the difference in cost can be vast. It's not a fair comparison of course to compare brand new, latest tech stuff to 10 year old used and abused gear but it is the real choice for someone like me and probably many others too. Yes, there are adapters and that is great but I don't think I'd ever want to enter into a system with adapters being part of a long term plan.

I've mentioned this before as being a bit of barrier to Sony's system in the past. Opt for a Canon or Nikon DSLR and you can choose a lens selection to basically suit any budget. Buy a Sony A7 (or now a Z6/Z7 or EOS R) and you're basically going to be buying new. And the difference in cost can be vast. It's not a fair comparison of course to compare brand new, latest tech stuff to 10 year old used and abused gear but it is the real choice for someone like me and probably many others too.

Yes, there are adapters and that is great but I don't think I'd ever want to enter into a system with adapters being part of a long term plan.

....Very true about costs but using an original brand adapter (rather than a third party version) will work well for as long as you want it to and certainly long enough for you to gain enough funds to consider buying the matching native lenses later.

It doesn't compromise the image quality one little bit when I use a Canon EF lens adapter on my mirrorless EOS M5. In fact, I do not own and have no future wish to own an EM(?) lens for my M5 and so the EF adapter lives on it permanently - I regard it as part of the camera body.

....Very true about costs but using an original brand adapter (rather than a third party version) will work well for as long as you want it to and certainly long enough for you to gain enough funds to consider buying the matching native lenses later.

It doesn't compromise the image quality one little bit when I use a Canon EF lens adapter on my mirrorless EOS M5. In fact, I do not own and have no future wish to own an EM(?) lens for my M5 and so the EF adapter lives on it permanently - I regard it as part of the camera body.

Well that's good but it's also a disadvantage in a sense, if you're not being given reasons to use native lenses you have to wonder how much merit there is in the system (that comment's aimed at the R rather than M5).

So going back to Graham's point I'm in agreement, I wouldn't want to enter into a system with adapters being fundamental to using the system long term (saying that I do have a few Canon lenses I'm adapting and don't plan to replace but they're not especially important lengths to me so...).

That is true, it's the same for phones, laptops etc .. Let them at it. But they'll still be left wanting I think. The XT3 has already made the XT2 very attractive, even new for us much more budget conscious. And from what I have seen, though early days, it is not the giant leap all the hype-queens are making out. Vloggers do my f'ing nut in, I've been venting by letting them know this in their comment sections, that'll teach 'em :D But I am sick to the teeth of them thinking they are #1 priority. We're seeing 18min rants because there's no 4K60p or HD120p or the flip-screen dramatics. All of these things just add cost for the rest of us.

Sure! But like I say, I think they [those with cash-a-plenty] will still be left wanting. If they're so flush and eager for he newest tech, they most likely already have the highest end gear in abundance. And they will still move on to the next as soon as it appears.

I am in a change up mood, not for any massive reason - better low light, a change of lens selection, value for money [when I look to the likes of HDEW there's potential to get a lot for less] I just do it every few years, this is why I stick to only a couple of lenses and don't go mad on brand specific extras. I'm still using the same old Yongnuo flash that I've used for Nikon and Fuji, never had an issue, and now Panasonic. Though I did have 2x SB900 for Nikon they were easy to sell on. I have added a nice and neat Godox TT350o for events, as the Yongnuo looks ridonk on a G80. It is very possible to have decent gear and keep the costs low. I have never really lost big when selling up because of this.

Last edited:
That is true, it's the same for phones, laptops etc .. Let them at it. But they'll still be left wanting I think. The XT3 has already made the XT2 very attractive, even new for us much more budget conscious. And from what I have seen, though early days, it is not the giant leap all the hype-queens are making out. Vloggers do my f'ing nut in, I've been venting by letting them know this in their comment sections, that'll teach 'em :D But I am sick to the teeth of them thinking they are #1 priority.

We're seeing 18min rants because there's no 4K60p or HD120p or the flip-screen dramatics. All of these things just add cost for the rest of us.

....I'm sorry (well not really really sorry) but features such as fully articulated screens and very high frames-per-second rates are very important indeed for potentially enabling better wildlife pictures.

I don't think it's fair to tar all vloggers with the same brush and although I am not one, I can understand their desires.

Technology never stands still and I think that's a very good thing. Besides, no-one is forcing us to buy anything.

Back