Canon FF mirrorless...

....I'm sorry (well not really really sorry) but features such as fully articulated screens and very high frames-per-second rates are very important indeed for potentially enabling better wildlife pictures.

I don't think it's fair to tar all vloggers with the same brush and although I am not one, I can understand their desires.

Technology never stands still and I think that's a very good thing. Besides, no-one is forcing us to buy anything.

Those things don't mean anything to me and that's my opinion. I don't care if it is fair on 'vloggers' there was barely such a thing a few years back, now they are almost priority when it comes to how gear is designed. I'm talking about the kind who barely ever leave their rooms btw, and 99% of their 'vlog' is the camera pointed at their face, while they rant about gear they don't even own ... Most of them are irritating knob heads from what I've seen. Nobody is forcing you to get defensive about my opinion either. You can go join their Patreon for all I care

That is true, it's the same for phones, laptops etc .. Let them at it. But they'll still be left wanting I think. The XT3 has already made the XT2 very attractive, even new for us much more budget conscious. And from what I have seen, though early days, it is not the giant leap all the hype-queens are making out. Vloggers do my f'ing nut in, I've been venting by letting them know this in their comment sections, that'll teach 'em :D But I am sick to the teeth of them thinking they are #1 priority. We're seeing 18min rants because there's no 4K60p or HD120p or the flip-screen dramatics. All of these things just add cost for the rest of us.

Sure! But like I say, I think they [those with cash-a-plenty] will still be left wanting. If they're so flush and eager for he newest tech, they most likely already have the highest end gear in abundance. And they will still move on to the next as soon as it appears.

I am in a change up mood, not for any massive reason - better low light, a change of lens selection, value for money [when I look to the likes of HDEW there's potential to get a lot for less] I just do it every few years, this is why I stick to only a couple of lenses and don't go mad on brand specific extras. I'm still using the same old Yongnuo flash that I've used for Nikon and Fuji, never had an issue, and now Panasonic. Though I did have 2x SB900 for Nikon they were easy to sell on. I have added a nice and neat Godox TT350o for events, as the Yongnuo looks ridonk on a G80. It is very possible to have decent gear and keep the costs low. I have never really lost big when selling up because of this.
Vlog rules. Deal with it hehe :)

Those things don't mean anything to me and that's my opinion. I don't care if it is fair on 'vloggers' there was barely such a thing a few years back, now they are almost priority when it comes to how gear is designed. I'm talking about the kind who barely ever leave their rooms btw, and 99% of their 'vlog' is the camera pointed at their face, while they rant about gear they don't even own ... Most of them are irritating knob heads from what I've seen.

Nobody is forcing you to get defensive about my opinion either. You can go join their Patreon for all I care

....:D Deary deary me. I was merely discussing the subject with you and, somewhat in vain it appears, opening up your mind to other's points of view.

....:D Deary deary me. I was merely discussing the subject with you and, somewhat in vain it appears, opening up your mind to other's points of view.

You weren't discussing it, you were opposing my opinion as if it was personal, which is what usually happens with the you sensitive lot on here. Don't contradict yourself to look even more sappy, you weren't very open to mine. Now end of. I'm not arguing with the usual try hards for 3 days because I expressed an opinion.

....I'm sorry (well not really really sorry) but features such as fully articulated screens and very high frames-per-second rates are very important indeed for potentially enabling better wildlife pictures.

I don't think it's fair to tar all vloggers with the same brush and although I am not one, I can understand their desires.

Technology never stands still and I think that's a very good thing. Besides, no-one is forcing us to buy anything.
How does a fully articulated screen help with wildlife? (genuine question)

....It helps greatly to photograph insects which may be either perched high up above head height or low down below knee height.

It can also sometimes help when wanting to remain extra hidden and just sneakily peep the camera out a bit.

I found it very useful when I had a Canon 70D (fully articulated) and miss it on my 7D-2, 1DX-2, and 5D-4 (now sold) but my mirrorless Canon M5 has a flip down screen but a fully articulated one would suit me better especially as my macro lens lives on it. Perhaps a M5 Mark II might have one.

....It helps greatly to photograph insects which may be either perched high up above head height or low down below knee height.

It can also sometimes help when wanting to remain extra hidden and just sneakily peep the camera out a bit.

I found it very useful when I had a Canon 70D (fully articulated) and miss it on my 7D-2, 1DX-2, and 5D-4 (now sold) but my mirrorless Canon M5 has a flip down screen but a fully articulated one would suit me better especially as my macro lens lives on it. Perhaps a M5 Mark II might have one.
Oh OK, I get what you mean. I prefer a tilt screen still for this, fully articulating bug me that you have to have it out to the side to be able to tilt it. It bugged me on the Em5-II and I'm disappointed they put the same screen on the EM1-II. Can't please everyone I guess ;)

If you never use the rear LCD then it obvious it doesn't.

Its all about being able to use the camera at different angles. You might want to sit on the ground while the camera is higher up on a tripod. You may need to hold the camera above your head to get over an obstacle blocking the view, you might want to put the camera very low down on the ground but not lay on the ground, you may need to tilt the screen to stop the sun bleaching it out.
Just tilting might not always be enough, although i do find a flip out screen can feel a bit more clumsy.

You may never need it, but thats not to say others dont. No one can predict every shooting situation. The screen doesn’t have to be pulled out, but it adds versatility IME.

Last edited:

Its all about being able to use the camera at different angles. You might want to sit on the ground while the camera is higher up on a tripod. You may need to hold the camera above your head to get over an obstacle blocking the view, you might want to put the camera very low down on the ground but not lay on the ground, you may need to tilt the screen to stop the sun bleaching it out.

You may never need it, but thats not to say others dont. No one can predict every shooting situation. The screen doesn’t have to be pulled out, but it ads versatility IME.

The standard tilting screen does all of that. I rarely find I need to swing it out for general use, it annoys me that I have to when all I need is to look down or up at it. Said many times on here, I wish someone would come up with a way to integrate both styles.

The standard tilting screen does all of that. I rarely find I need to swing it out for general use, it annoys me that I have to when all I need is to look down or up at it. Said many times on here, I wish someone would come up with a way to integrate both styles.
I think that's why many manufacturers are reluctant to have a full flip screen....

Yeah, i agree it’s sometimes not ideal as most of us wouldn’t need more than a tilt,

Yea exactly. Those bloody vloggers making it a big deal! Innit @Cagey75

I often wonder why vloggers make such as big deal about stills cameras not meeting their requirements. Why dont they just buy video cameras. Isn’t that what the “V’ stands for lol.

Where the tilt up/down LCD loses out is when the camera is in the portrait orientation when imho it is fairly useless. :( :rolleyes:
I think that's why many manufacturers are reluctant to have a full flip screen....
I read one previewer say the articulating screen on the Canon R felt more solid and was a metal construction.

Where the tilt up/down LCD loses out is when the camera is in the portrait orientation when imho it is fairly useless. :( :rolleyes:
I read one previewer say the articulating screen on the Canon R felt more solid and was a metal construction.

Fuji XT3 & 3 have that sorted

I often wonder why vloggers make such as big deal about stills cameras not meeting their requirements. Why dont they just buy video cameras. Isn’t that what the “V’ stands for lol.

Precisely! They have taken over having the main say in photography gear ever since decent video and articulating LCD screens were introduced into that area. We can sit back and look on, saying "Ah, vloggers, they're harmless sure, leave them be" ... and what happens is our voices get lost, and we end up shooting stills with video cameras, not other way around. It's pretty much already happened.

Last edited:

Just tilting might not always be enough, although i do find a flip out screen can feel a bit more clumsy.

You may never need it, but thats not to say others dont. No one can predict every shooting situation. The screen doesn’t have to be pulled out, but it adds versatility IME.

Yeah I get that, but I don't see where fully articulating adds any advantage. IMO it just gets in the way stuck out to the side (y)

Fuji XT3 & 3 have that sorted

Precisely! They have taken over having the main say in photography gear ever since decent video and articulating LCD screens were introduced into that area. We can sit back and look on, saying "Ah, vloggers, they're harmless sure, leave them be" ... and what happens is our voices get lost, and we end up shooting stills with video cameras, not other way around. It's pretty much already happened.

I think Canon know what’s what. I know they have a video devision, but they don’t seem to be pandering to the vloggers just yet. Maybe they are crippling their 4K implementation to keep the vloggers at bay lol.

I remember the days when everyone was up in arms about DSLR’s having LCD screens on the back, and then being able to shoot video. How times have changed.

Yeah I get that, but I don't see where fully articulating adds any advantage. IMO it just gets in the way stuck out to the side (y)

Ive never found mine to get in the way, unless you mean by using one of the ports on that side. I get that with it sticking out it can seem to make the camera a bit odd to hold, but with this type of screen you have a full 180 rotation. This means you arent working to a certain angle like with the tilt screens,

I do find my strap gets caught in it sometimes though, very annoying.

Not from what I have seen they don't. :thinking:

The LCD pops out in portrait orientation so you can look down while shooting in that mode, is that not what you meant? It doesn't help for over head in portrait mode, no, but it's at least there as an option
Tilt-720x649.jpg

Last edited:
The LCD pops out in portrait orientation so you can look down while shooting in that mode, is that not what you meant? It doesn't help for over head in portrait mode, no, but it's at least there as an option
Tilt-720x649.jpg
A77/A77-2 has the best implementation imo.

I know the guy was doing it one handed in that clip, but it looks very clunky. The Sony one certainly wasn't perfect either, but the idea was there. I'm surprised nobody has come up with a more slick design to cover both tilt and flip out.

I know the guy was doing it one handed in that clip, but it looks very clunky. The Sony one certainly wasn't perfect either, butt the idea was there, I'm surprised nobody has come up with a more slick design to cover both tilt and flip out.

Bit of string will do.

Last edited:
I know the guy was doing it one handed in that clip, but it looks very clunky. The Sony one certainly wasn't perfect either, but the idea was there. I'm surprised nobody has come up with a more slick design to cover both tilt and flip out.
I don’t know why no-ones put the tilt mechanism on the back of a fully articulating plate, then you have the best of both worlds. Sure it would add a touch of bulk but I’m sure someone could ‘thin it down’ somehow ;)

Tell me about it ... it does a bit of everything but not really enough to be useful :LOL:

That was Pentax doing as anti-vlogger as possible effort just to further distance themselves :D "Look, it almost flips ... but wait, nope! got ya!" :D

Last edited:
According to CanonRumours there will be a firmware update a couple of months after release.

What’s coming in the firmware?

• Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
  • Additional touch bar functionality added.
  • Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
  • A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
  • Bug fixes

According to CanonRumours there will be a firmware update a couple of months after release.

What’s coming in the firmware?

• Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
  • Additional touch bar functionality added.
  • Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
  • A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
  • Bug fixes
Why role out a camera already knowing you have to fix it with firmware shortly after release? :confused:

Why role out a camera already knowing you have to fix it with firmware shortly after release? :confused:

Rushed to market, which is very unlike Canon.

I think it is very clear that the A73 came out 6 months ago really knocked them (and Nikon) sideways. I'd think these cameras could probably to do with 6 more months in the oven in their original schedule.

Back