Canon FF mirrorless...

I spent a wonderful 6 months in Hatfield back in 1970 with my fiancé.met her at Skegness when I was running the donkey rides,she was a dancer at the Derbyshire Miners Holiday camp.holiday romance.we split but I ended up back in Donny a few times .last time about 9 years ago,was going to move in with her but she wanted a commitment too quickly,so after a couple of fun weekends I declined,sadly she died of viral pneumonia about 18 months later,only 56.
Working at the Miners was Tony Adams,comedian ventriloquist from Barnsley,very funny guy.
http://www.comedians.co.uk/taddams.htm

I'm a Londoner so your all alien to me here hehe xx
It’s an hour and a half on the train if I want to go for something special, without having to stay there with the unfriendly locals ;)

Up here, in the grim north, we smile and strike up conversations with strangers, we genuinely like people and our default position is one of trust.

We have decent beer at realistic prices, proper gravy and a sense of humour.

Edit... oh and proper grammar too ;)

Last edited:

Got you trumped! Think there's a bare handful of us Oirish on here - to us you're all either Brookie, Corrie, East Enders [Wos goin' OoooOOon innit] or Emmerdale :LOL: Possibly some from Byker Grove :ROFLMAO:

....I may have been born in Yorkshire but I lived and worked from home in Chelsea for 30 years. But I'm only part English and an alien being anyway (if you hadn't already noticed).

Got you trumped! Think there's a bare handful of us Oirish on here - to us you're all either Brookie, Corrie, East Enders [Wos goin' OoooOOon innit] or Emmerdale :LOL: Possibly some from Byker Grove :ROFLMAO:

....Now that explains everything!! :D

Have the EF lenses suddenly become rubbish! :eek: Up until the announcement of the R and the RF lenses, high quality Canon EF lenses were the aim of users. RF lenses may be technically better, but from what they have released so far, they will also be (very) big, (very) heavy and (very) expensive. :rolleyes:

Will they also release the lenses you want that are missing in the RF mount in a short period of time, if not you will be using the (rubbish ;)) EF lenses on the R using the adapter. There may be smaller, lighter, cheaper quality options down the line, but with no lens roadmap released can that option be expected! :thinking:

If you want an R, then buy it, but in the short term you may have to live with a lot of compromises you would not have to with a DSLR.

The DSLR may be a technological dead-end, but not for a decade or more imho. ;)

No, many of the EF lenses are pretty good and will remain so. The lack of a roadmap does make it impossible to predict though I'd expect smaller lighter lenses to be the norm in the future. Having said all that I agree that the short to medium term, superiority in terms of lenses price and features at a reasonable budget point will probably belong to the DSLR. At my time of life that's a big consideration.

Last edited:
It’s an hour and a half on the train if I want to go for something special, without having to stay there with the unfriendly locals ;)

Up here, in the grim north, we smile and strike up conversations with strangers, we genuinely like people and our default position is one of trust.

We have decent beer at realistic prices, proper gravy and a sense of humour.

Edit... oh and proper grammar too ;)

....Very friendly to outsiders has been my experience too when visiting Yorkshire (and on my last visit I was wearing my Scottish family tartan!) and more friendly than down here in Dorset where some seem to be proud of not accepting outsiders until they have known them for at least 10 years!

But London is a collection of villages and I found, living there for 30 years, that there is a broad mixture of people in Chelsea and they are generally friendly. The people living in Mayfair, where I lived when I was a college student, are very snotty though!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcedKDZF0E

The original movie from which this clip is dubbed, is probably the best Hitler movie ever released and Sir Alec Guinness is definitely the best Hitler actor.

Last edited:
I've been in Dorset for quite a while now and find coming across locals pretty rare.

....I met a lot of locals due to going sea fishing and being on the committee of the local fishing club. Also, I worked in a M.O.D. factory for a few months and the ex-RN security guy is still one of my best friends, but yes there are a lot of people who have moved to Dorset, including myself, from outside.

Back on topic, I have downloaded a EOS R body Canon handbook and am pleased to see that max shutter speed is 1/8000s and that C1/2/3 custom menus are available. The only downside for me I have found so far is the slooow fps rate but I think I can live with that as I have 14 fps on my primary EOS D-SLR body. My 70D had a slow fps and I still managed some good photos and my mirrorless EOS M5 is slow too I think (I rarely do bursts on it).

I'm named after an Irishman so maybe I can be an honouree member?

I spent a wonderful 6 months in Hatfield back in 1970 with my fiancé.met her at Skegness when I was running the donkey rides,she was a dancer at the Derbyshire Miners Holiday camp.holiday romance.we split but I ended up back in Donny a few times .last time about 9 years ago,was going to move in with her but she wanted a commitment too quickly,so after a couple of fun weekends I declined,sadly she died of viral pneumonia about 18 months later,only 56.
Working at the Miners was Tony Adams,comedian ventriloquist from Barnsley,very funny guy.
http://www.comedians.co.uk/taddams.htm

Maybe tonight raise a glass to lovers past and present. Keep the memories alive.

I'd have thought it would fit in with the mirrorless weight advantage. I'd expect two strands of lenses. One is the heavy, fast "statement of intent" lenses with fast apertures that no-one really needs but feels they should have to be taken seriously eg 24-70 f2 and 50 1.2. Most enthusiasts would opt for lighter I'd expect. Examples are the 24-105f4 which is lighter than the current offering. Nikon have good also example with their 24-70 f4 which is what many enthusiasts need and is is around 500g IIRC.

I'm not saying they will all be lighter but I'd expect to see many which are. That would be my expectation but as neither of us knows it could be wrong. Also there's no accounting for peoples' actions and maybe loads of people who don't need them actually want heavy lenses with all the bragging rights they endow.

Last edited:
I'd have thought it would fit in with the mirrorless weight advantage. I'd expect two strands of lenses. One is the heavy, fast "statement of intent" lenses with fast apertures that no-one really needs but feels they should have to be taken seriously eg 24-70 f2 and 50 1.2. Most enthusiasts would opt for lighter I'd expect. Examples are the 24-105f4 which is lighter than the current offering. Nikon have good also example with their 24-70 f4 which is what many enthusiasts need and is is around 500g IIRC.

There is the other possibility that smaller formats eat the bottom end of the market leaving full frame to focus solely on larger/heavier lenses.

Both options seem viable to me.

There is the other possibility that smaller formats eat the bottom end of the market leaving full frame to focus solely on larger/heavier lenses.

Both options seem viable to me.

Very possibly. Just another possibility really. Who knows what will happen. I wouldn't feel strongly enough about what is only my guess to argue the point. TBH I'm as likely to buy either a 5DmkIV, Nikon Z7 or nothing as an EOS R

Last edited:
Going back to the question about IBIS in the EOS R, I found this report of an interview with Canon Executives :

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...-why-it-doesn-t-have-body-image-stabilization

There are also some more interview reports linked on that web page such as why are the RF lenses so big :

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-understanding-canon-eos-r-why-new-rf-lenses-are-so-big

We will just have to wait and see what future EOS R body versions offer and can only speculate when the next one will be announced.

@RedRobin you live in Chelsea??? Where do you do birding? Fancy a day out at Richmond Park for deer rut coming weekend? :)

....Hi,

I moved out of Chelsea and London in 1999 when I retired. I am now in the West Dorset / East Devon / South Somerset area for my wildlife photography but do travel further afield occasionally.

The Deer rut in Richmond Park is tempting but I promised I would look after a friend's Retriever dog this weekend. I imagine it will be very crowded with photographers and not all of them will keep a sensible distance!

TBH I'd be inclined to favour the Nikon Z cameras over the Canon. Sony doesn't interest me, and I only have one Canon lens and that's for birds. I could easily keep the 7DmkII and 400mm for that and use a Nikon for everything else, and it isn't much of a switch. Mind you the Nikon AF is a bit questionable by some accounts,

I can hardly wait to find out what I will do.

....Hi,

I moved out of Chelsea and London in 1999 when I retired. I am now in the West Dorset / East Devon / South Somerset area for my wildlife photography but do travel further afield occasionally.

The Deer rut in Richmond Park is tempting but I promised I would look after a friend's Retriever dog this weekend. I imagine it will be very crowded with photographers and not all of them will keep a sensible distance!

Oh, didn't know that sorry... if you are there first light the people you see would be decent until about 0900 when the crowd comes in :D

....Hi,

i will do a photo walk in richmond in nov

TBH I'd be inclined to favour the Nikon Z cameras over the Canon. Sony doesn't interest me, and I only have one Canon lens and that's for birds. I could easily keep the 7DmkII and 400mm for that and use a Nikon for everything else, and it isn't much of a switch. Mind you the Nikon AF is a bit questionable by some accounts,

Why not?

And me :D

Just a personal preference. I'm not bashing Sony or saying those who use it are wrong, and I'm happy for those that like the system and enjoy using it. I just feel it doesn't have the things that are important to me personally.

Last edited:
Mmm, all this is a bit of paraphrasing but I felt a few contradictions in his thinking.

'Losing features by using the new camera, but that's a good thing' :thinking: If you don't want to use 120fps on the camera you have, don't use it. You definitely don't need to change a camera not to do it, because you may actually want to do that at some point in the future. :confused: He talks about losing the high fps for stills, but then goes off on a tangent for justifying why not having 120fps for video and then doesn't mention the fps for stills again. I don't know what kind of pics he takes, because I have just done an image search and I get many pictures of him, rather than other subjects, but I am assuming that one of the reasons for the 1DXII was for the high fps for stills! I may be wrong. If so though, he is willing to go from 14fps to 3fps. :confused: :thinking:

'The whole setup will be smaller and lighter'. 'Here's one of the biggest lenses I have ever used or seen'. :thinking:

'I have been using the 1DXII for 4 or 5 years... I can change all the settings without looking'. 'I can change from still to video quickly, on the 1DXII I just flick a switch, but on the EOS R I have to do this, then turn this, then this...' :thinking:

And my favourite, 'if you are using a lens that you can't put a filter on with concave glass'. Think about that one. :thinking: ;) :LOL:

He's a very hyper chap isn't he. I think I have seen one or two of his videos before but I don't think it was in such a hyper style.

He seems very positive about it though. It will be interesting to see if he stays using the EOS R for the next few months. :)

How weird. About 20 mins ago I watched this same video! I thought I was utter hype. I'm guessing he's not independent. He's got previous with this sort of nonsense here

His videos look slick mind you.

Last edited:
Mmm, all this is a bit of paraphrasing but I felt a few contradictions in his thinking.

'Losing features by using the new camera, but that's a good thing' :thinking: If you don't want to use 120fps on the camera you have, don't use it. You definitely don't need to change a camera not to do it, because you may actually want to do that at some point in the future. :confused: He talks about losing the high fps for stills, but then goes off on a tangent for justifying why not having 120fps for video and then doesn't mention the fps for stills again. I don't know what kind of pics he takes, because I have just done an image search and I get many pictures of him, rather than other subjects, but I am assuming that one of the reasons for the 1DXII was for the high fps for stills! I may be wrong. If so though, he is willing to go from 14fps to 3fps. :confused: :thinking:

'The whole setup will be smaller and lighter'. 'Here's one of the biggest lenses I have ever used or seen'. :thinking:

'I have been using the 1DXII for 4 or 5 years... I can change all the settings without looking'. 'I can change from still to video quickly, on the 1DXII I just flick a switch, but on the EOS R I have to do this, then turn this, then this...' :thinking:

And my favourite, 'if you are using a lens that you can't put a filter on with concave glass'. Think about that one. :thinking: ;) :LOL:

He's a very hyper chap isn't he. I think I have seen one or two of his videos before but I don't think it was in such a hyper style.

He seems very positive about it though. It will be interesting to see if he stays using the EOS R for the next few months. :)

He is a likeable guy, knows his stuff but I can see he will go back to his 1D for his main work, stuff that he doesn’t need a flip screen, when someone is so used to the 1080/120, losing it is like losing a creative tool...he will go back.

Also, as much as I think those adaptor are great, they are for adapted lenses, eventually when Canon’s native lens lineup is fuller, you won’t be using these adaptors for native lenses. Canon in the end wants you to rebuy your 14mm EF with a native one and spend more money with them.

How weird. About 20 mins ago I watched this same video! I thought I was utter hype. I'm guessing he's not independent. He's got previous with this sort of nonsense here

His videos look slick mind you.

He's just another over hyped vlogger from what I've seen. Not long ago he was pushing the 6D mkII as the best vlogging camera ever along with his equally irritating mate Casey Nesitat.

Hi could anyone tell me will my L lenses ie 50mm 1.2 fitted with a adapter ring on the R become a different focal length?
Many thanks.

Hi could anyone tell me will my L lenses ie 50mm 1.2 fitted with a adapter ring on the R become a different focal length?
Many thanks.

Hi,

Nope your FF lenses will remain FF lenses on the Canon EOS R using the adaptors.
From what I’ve seen, they will work just like the do on their DSLR bodies.

Just a personal preference. I'm not bashing Sony or saying those who use it are wrong, and I'm happy for those that like the system and enjoy using it. I just feel it doesn't have the things that are important to me personally.

Things like well performing bodies, market leading features and abilities and a pretty full lens line up?

Personally I'll look at anything regardless of what name is on the badge and whilst you may have good and genuine reasons there are some, many even, on the net who for whatever reason just take a dislike to the electronic companies such as Sony and Panasonic entering the photographic market and stick with Canikon regardless and I just don't understand that sort of brand blinkeredness or blanket statements like Sony doesn't interest me.

IMO you have to look at the market leader or at least the best couple / few options at your market and price point and if we're talking mirrorless FF systems then like it or not Sony are the clear market leaders with several bodies and a pretty full lens line up whilst Canikon are the new kids with in contrast fewer bodies, a dearth of lenses and some clear performance and feature deficits. The Sony A7x/A9 system should at least deserve a serious look.

Perception is everything...
there are some, many even, on the net who for whatever reason just take a dislike to the electronic companies such as Sony and Panasonic entering the photographic market and stick with Canikon regardless and I just don't understand that sort of brand blinkeredness or blanket statements like Sony doesn't interest me.
This is something I’ve never witnessed :(

Whereas the Nikon and canon threads are constantly spammed by the Sony evangelists; which I will say has spoiled the thread.

I have no interest in Panasonic or Sony, simply because changing brands is not a viable option for me personally. I also don’t have the energy to go spamming threads dedicated to other brands, it strikes me as bizarre behaviour.

In fact I’ve posted in a couple of Nikon threads (probably less than a dozen times in 10 years) IIRC only to complement a camera I liked, and then to facepalm when they launched their radio flash with the D500. But it was a couple of posts, not dozens!!

Proper canon fanboy he is. i wrote on his youtube comment section saying he will be back to using 1dx2 tomorrow.

We all disagree a lot here but one thing we can all disagree is that based on his needs and what he tends to shoot(4k and a lot of 1080p 120 slow mo and not to mention shooting in very harsh demanding enviornments) the EOS-R is not the camera for him

Perception is everything...

This is something I’ve never witnessed :(

Whereas the Nikon and canon threads are constantly spammed by the Sony evangelists; which I will say has spoiled the thread.

I have no interest in Panasonic or Sony, simply because changing brands is not a viable option for me personally. I also don’t have the energy to go spamming threads dedicated to other brands, it strikes me as bizarre behaviour.

In fact I’ve posted in a couple of Nikon threads (probably less than a dozen times in 10 years) IIRC only to complement a camera I liked, and then to facepalm when they launched their radio flash with the D500. But it was a couple of posts, not dozens!!

Phil, if you haven't seen any blinkered attitudes then you haven't spent as much time on forums as I thought you had. As for spamming.... the Sony thread has had plenty of that. Other than that who exactly is spamming? If you think it's me then don't. I used Canon DSLR's for over 10 years, I started the thread and I'm hardly going to spam it.

I know your reasons for buying into Canon CSC despite the limitations of the bodies and native lens options (and BTW I wasn't thinking of you when I posted above, if that's what you're thinking) but anyone with only one lens or anyone coming in with no baggage at all should imo at least take an unbiased look at what's available from whoever no matter what the badge. That's my point but I'm not at all sure it always happens.

Back