Canon FF mirrorless...

You might imagine that's a smart funny comment, but it's daft as yourself and shows clear signs of lack of comprehension. Nobody suggested out of focus images and you have no clue what art or character even mean. You're not a photographer, you're a gear head, like jonney - Just because I say so, isn't that how it works for you lot? I never see either of you post images unless it's of gear, even now jonney chooses to post an image of some old gear as if it made a point - where's the images FROM it instead?

Judgemental much?

I suggest you stop with the personal attacks and you may get better responses.

Judgemental much?

I suggest you stop with the personal attacks and you may get better responses.

None of you are worth the effort. And get it right, it's you usual Sony fannyboys that come in with the sly digs, I just say what I think, I don't get butthurt and defensive, I give as good as I take is all. If you Sony fanboys could relax your little selves and accept other people's opinions, people might not detest you as much.

Did you think that was somehow aimed at you? It wasn't, the ones I'm talking about know who they are

I understand where your coming from :)
I think we all just need to relax (myself included).... sometimes we get carried away. It might be ok to bash cameras camera manufacturers / products but that’s where the line should be drawn. When it starts getting personal things get worse.

*group hug* folks :)

Maybe just for one day people could stop the bickering and post with a little respect, empathy and consideration, maybe post as if they're talking to their mother / father.

Just a thought and it might make the thread something we'd all like to read and take part in for a change.

It's called responding, if you didn't quote me I wouldn't have to tell you some home truths. When did any of this have anything to do with you? You're the one who got thick and felt the need to come after me. One of the usual bingo bus crew claiming I'm trolling doesn't make it so. I posted something I happen to agree with, [edit: I also chose this particular thread because it was already ruined by the Sony heads] in your blinding rush to jump in on the defensive you may have missed the fact the quote was from a Sony user.

If you don't want to be quoted, stop posting, if you're going to post in a public forum then expect responses whether you want them or not, you shouldn't need something so simple explained as I'm apparently the thick one here and your earlier post was intended to get a rise out of people, it's not especially hard to know when someone's trolling so please just stop with the nonsense about posting something you agree with as if your intentions weren't all too obvious.

Weak - you edited that in after I already responded to your whining. YOU came at me first, you deserved nothing less. Everytime someone has a differing opinion on here, or posts something the usual clique don't agree with, there has to be this string of nonsense, the usual idiots jumping in thinking their say matters on it. Ride that bingo bus all you like, but I'll make a stand for the alt opinions, tired of you gear head fools taking the place over.

If you check the timestamps I edited that 6 minutes before you posted your first response so please don't grasp at straws.

This has nothing to do with cliques, your post was insulting and a terrible argument to make, you've accused anyone who's using Sony of being a gear head just to try and bait out a response, even if I take your argument as a valid one it's essentially just a poor excuse for anyone else's short comings and I'd suggest if you can't tolerate other people's opinions a forum is entirely the wrong place for you.

None of you are worth the effort. And get it right, it's you usual Sony fannyboys that come in with the sly digs, I just say what I think, I don't get butthurt and defensive, I give as good as I take is all. If you Sony fanboys could relax your little selves and accept other people's opinions, people might not detest you as much.

Not worth effort of common courtesy?
That says more about you than anyone else tbh

You are the only defensive one here

Of what exactly? I have nothing to be defensive about only stupidity of others

Maybe just for one day people could stop the bickering and post with a little respect, empathy and consideration, maybe post as if they're talking to their mother / father.

Just a thought and it might make the thread something we'd all like to read and take part in for a change.

Sure, are YOU going to obey this rule too? I'm up for pretending to be nice :D

I understand where your coming from :)
I think we all just need to relax (myself included).... sometimes we get carried away. It might be ok to bash cameras camera manufacturers / products but that’s where the line should be drawn. When it starts getting personal things get worse.

*group hug* folks :)

I swear at times I come on here and it's like watching grown men slate one another over who has the nicest car, if it was a physical room half of them wouldn't say boo, and I'd be even louder, I promise ;)

If you don't want to be quoted, stop posting, if you're going to post in a public forum then expect responses whether you want them or not, you shouldn't need something so simple explained as I'm apparently the thick one here and your earlier post was intended to get a rise out of people, it's not especially hard to know when someone's trolling so please just stop with the nonsense about posting something you agree with as if your intentions weren't all too obvious.

If you check the timestamps I edited that 6 minutes before you posted your first response so please don't grasp at straws.

This has nothing to do with cliques, your post was insulting and a terrible argument to make, you've accused anyone who's using Sony of being a gear head just to try and bait out a response, even if I take your argument as a valid one it's essentially just a poor excuse for anyone else's short comings and I'd suggest if you can't tolerate other people's opinions a forum is entirely the wrong place for you.

I rose you easily enough, without even trying. I was live when you edited, you did it after I responded. There is a clique on here, maybe a few, but there is a very prominent one, don't be part of it, you'll feel better in the long run.

I've been on here years, never changed, maybe you should put me on ignore like many other weak minded fools have? just a suggestion ...

I don’t want a silly little camera

Maybe you need something like this then?
The-Worlds-Largest-Film-Camera-5.jpg

The trouble is that the Talk Equipment area has now become a 'no go' area for anyone who posts anything negative about Sony.

If the poster posts their own thoughts and states something negative they are just called a 'troll' by the select few. (The Sony Gestapo I mentioned earlier).

If they quote the opinions of others they are also called a 'troll' and the article isn't based on facts. A group then 'try to tear your post to shreds' and when you defend or clarify a point you have made you get told you have ruined the thread, are a clown or just to 'give over'.......whilst numerous posts from Sony lovers are OK!

No matter what thread you go on it turns into the Sony is better at this - that Camera must be crap or '...........what were Canikon thinking!'

The Nikon mirrorless was up to 70+ pages with probably 30 of them talking about a dual card slot generated mostly by a Sony owner who pressumes the lifestyle you have and the equipment you own - it completely ruined the thread.

If you have a Sony Camera then why go on another manufacturers thread and just gloat about the spec sheet of the Sony camera? I certainly haven't seen any photographs from a Sony camera that makes me go WOW.........I couldn't do that with X,Y,Z camera! Reasons - I or anybody else never will because all the Cameras these days are extremely capable.

I have never known 'gear love' on any type of forum quite like it................it is embarrassing and annoying from the outside.

@nandbytes - I quoted your post but, in fairness you are usually quite balanced in these threads.

Last edited:
The trouble is that the Talk Equipment area has now become a 'no go' area for anyone who posts anything negative about Sony.

If the poster posts their own thoughts and states something negative they are just called a 'troll' by the select few. (The Sony Gestapo I mentioned earlier).

If they quote the opinions of others they are also called a 'troll' and the article isn't based on facts. A group then 'try to tear your post to shreds' and when you defend or clarify a point you have made you get told you have ruined the thread, are a clown or just to 'give over'.......whilst numerous posts from Sony lovers are OK!

No matter what thread you go on it turns into the Sony is better at this - that Camera must be crap or '...........what were Canikon thinking!'

The Nikon mirrorless was up to 70+ pages with probably 30 of them talking about a dual card slot generated mostly by a Sony owner who pressumes the lifestyle you have and the equipment you own - it completely ruined the thread.

If you have a Sony Camera then why go on another manufacturers thread and just gloat about the spec sheet of the Sony camera? I certainly haven't seen any photographs from a Sony camera that makes me go WOW.........I could do that with X,Y,Z camera! Reasons - I or anybody else never will because all the Cameras these days are extremely capable.

I have never known 'gear love' on any type of forum quite like it................it is embarrassing and annoying from the outside.

@nandbytes - I quoted your post but, in fairness you are usually quite balanced in these threads.

Hear, hear

The 'Clique' I mentioned earlier, they are ever present, they are bullies, and just like in the playground at school, I for one won't stand for it. They can get all defensive and whiney all they desire, but enough is enough, time for the individual minded poster on here to stand up and be counted. I've seen all sorts of douchery from this crew, slating "lesser" or "inferior" sensors/cameras/lenses/manufacturers as if they had shares in the company and were paid by the insult. It is embarrassing, i would hate to be a newbie wandering in here these days.

Last edited:
I rose you easily enough, without even trying. I was live when you edited, you did it after I responded. There is a clique on here, maybe a few, but there is a very prominent one, don't be part of it, you'll feel better in the long run.

Well your opinion is clearly superior to that of a timestamp, good job. Yes I made the mistake of responding to you but I don't care if there is a clique on here or not, it's your problem so take it up with them but if you can only do that by attacking other people then you'll get plenty of well deserved criticism along the way.

I've been on here years, never changed, maybe you should put me on ignore like many other weak minded fools have? just a suggestion ...

That's good advice, time spent on your posts is apparently time wasted.

The 'Clique' I mentioned earlier, they are ever present, they are bullies, and just like in the playground at school, I for one won't stand for it.

Yet here we find it's you hurling out personal insults, physician heal thyself.

Last edited:
I actually got to play with the EOS R in my local LCE today, albeit for only a brief period of time. I liked the grip, it felt very well built and the EVF was superb. It's not too big or too heavy, but substantial enough to cope with hefty telephoto lenses. The placement of the power dial means it's a two handed action to turn the camera on or off, I always prefer a power control switch to surround the shutter button which provides an easy single handed means but quickly turn it off and on. The slide control device didn't do anything for me and I thought it would be too easy to operate by mistake, I didn't have an issue with the placement of the button for BBF.

The camera had been fitted with the adapter and a Canon 100mm macro lens. I don't own this lens so was unfamiliar with it, but the focusing seemed reasonable but not startlingly fast, probably more lens limited than the camera. However, on two occasions, I went from close focus on the lens cap to some camera bags behind the counter, the focus confirmation beep sounded but the images were most certainly not in focus. The other 6 to 8 attempts provided accurate focus.

So, would I chop in my ageing but functional Canon 5D2 for this camera? With the current list price, the cost to change is simply too high at present and there are some specific specification issues (like the 4K crop, no IBIS) that I definitely don't like for my own specific camera requirements, so a straight forward no at present. Having said that, I thought I wouldn't buy another EOS M camera after discovering the original M had the slowest and most random focusing I'd ever encountered. I wouldn't have bought the M100 at the launch price of £570 with the kit lens either, but a net cost of £275 after cash back meant it was worth the punt, for the superb Dual Pixel Focus capability that none of my M43 cameras can match for continuous focus or moving subject video.

Well your opinion is clearly superior to that of a timestamp, good job. Yes I made the mistake of responding to you but I don't care if there is a clique on here or not, it's your problem so take it up with them but if you can only do that by attacking other people then you'll get plenty of well deserved criticism along the way.

That's good advice, time spent on your posts is apparently time wasted.

Yet here we find it's you hurling out personal insults, physician heal thyself.

You are one of the clique, if not before now, you invited yourself in today.

You keep using the word "attacking" - are you easily offended? I have been extremely mild by my standards in here, not even joking

'Hurling' is an Irish sport that none of you Brits would ever be able for , let alone understand.

You have had zero point here, need we carry on?

I actually got to play with the EOS R in my local LCE today, albeit for only a brief period of time. I liked the grip, it felt very well built and the EVF was superb. It's not too big or too heavy, but substantial enough to cope with hefty telephoto lenses. The placement of the power dial means it's a two handed action to turn the camera on or off, I always prefer a power control switch to surround the shutter button which provides an easy single handed means but quickly turn it off and on. The slide control device didn't do anything for me and I thought it would be too easy to operate by mistake, I didn't have an issue with the placement of the button for BBF.

The camera had been fitted with the adapter and a Canon 100mm macro lens. I don't own this lens so was unfamiliar with it, but the focusing seemed reasonable but not startlingly fast, probably more lens limited than the camera. However, on two occasions, I went from close focus on the lens cap to some camera bags behind the counter, the focus confirmation beep sounded but the images were most certainly not in focus. The other 6 to 8 attempts provided accurate focus.

....Thankyou, Harvey - At last someone posting some hands-on feedback about the subject of this thread rather than endless bickering serving no useful purpose.

I have highlit in bold the aspects which particularly interest me. I'm glad to hear that the BBF button is not awkwardly placed as it is on the M5.

The Multi Function Bar can be switched off so it can't be accidentally operated. Canon have said on several occasions that they prefer image stabilisation to be lens rather than body based and have explained why but not ruled out IBIS in the future.

Last edited:
You are one of the clique, if not before now, you invited yourself in today.

OK so if you post something intending to get a rise out of people, that means they're in a clique? You're projecting quite hard here.

You keep using the word "attacking" - are you easily offended? I have been extremely mild by my standards in here, not even joking

If you don't resort to personal attacks then I can stop pointing it out, see how that works?

'Hurling' is an Irish sport that none of you Brits would ever be able for , let alone understand.

If you say so.

You have had zero point here, need we carry on?

You posted your little dig at others above, you then try to dress it up as something noble with you standing up to bullies and then magically only your points matter when you're having a pointless argument in an equipment thread. So on that note, if you want to respond to any of my earlier comments that are actually relevant to the subject matter feel free, I'll waste no more time responding to your personal attacks.

OK so if you post something intending to get a rise out of people, that means they're in a clique? You're projecting quite hard here.

If you don't resort to personal attacks then I can stop pointing it out, see how that works?

If you say so.

You posted your little dig at others above, you then try to dress it up as something noble with you standing up to bullies and then magically only your points matter when you're having a pointless argument in an equipment thread. So on that note, if you want to respond to any of my earlier comments that are actually relevant to the subject matter feel free, I'll waste no more time responding to your personal attacks.

I don't need fannying about quoting to deal with simpleton 'questions' like this. I didn't ... I'll dig at others openly, no hidden or suggestive or sly about it, and I never 'dress' it up, it's how it is. I think you're a bit of a dope who wandered in thinking he had some way to better everyone else who's try harded before and failed. Sad Panda.

....Thankyou, Harvey - At last someone posting some hands-on feedback about the subject of this thread rather than endless bickering serving no useful purpose.

I have highlit in bold the aspects which particularly interest me. I'm glad to hear that the BBF button is not awkwardly placed as it is on the M5.

The Multi Function Bar can be switched off so it can't be accidentally operated. Canon have said on several occasions that they prefer image stabilisation to be lens rather than body based.

Stop whining and make the thread yours again. I'm out.

So .. Canon mirroless ... will you, won't you?

Last edited:
I somehow missed all this yesterday and the opportunity to have more popcorn and beer,never mind it was fun catching up soon as I awoke.
Have a good weekend everybody,I’m off out in the rain later to take some shots with my iPad mk8 :D

So, would I chop in my ageing but functional Canon 5D2 for this camera? With the current list price, the cost to change is simply too high at present and there are some specific specification issues (like the 4K crop, no IBIS) that I definitely don't like for my own specific camera requirements, so a straight forward no at present. Having said that, I thought I wouldn't buy another EOS M camera after discovering the original M had the slowest and most random focusing I'd ever encountered. I wouldn't have bought the M100 at the launch price of £570 with the kit lens either, but a net cost of £275 after cash back meant it was worth the punt, for the superb Dual Pixel Focus capability that none of my M43 cameras can match for continuous focus or moving subject video.
I agree the M100 is a very nice little camera

So am I. I don’t want a silly little camera, pay over the odds for one, when I get get a nice big proper one at a relatively good price point.

One fo the reasons I returned to a Nikon DSLR after a brief love affair with the A7R.
Although I wouldn't call it silly, for me it simply couldn't compete with the Nikon in terms of overall refinement, build quality, ergonomics and the fact it felt like a flimsy toy.....although the focus aids including the EVF are very nice features.
I recently had a play with the Nikon Z7 at Wex, quite impressive and fully representative of what you'd expect from the Nikon brand but even that's not enough for me to consider the switch as it's still too small....make it larger, D810 'ish size with an F mount then i'd probably make plans to move.

Last edited:

If you have a Sony Camera then why go on another manufacturers thread and just gloat about the spec sheet of the Sony camera? I certainly haven't seen any photographs from a Sony camera that makes me go WOW.........I couldn't do that with X,Y,Z camera! Reasons - I or anybody else never will because all the Cameras these days are extremely capable.

I think it’s fair to compare and discuss Sony in other threads if it’s directly comparing the two systems, after all Sony are the ones to beat so you will see it happen and it’s unavoidable.

You have to remember that Sony users faced similar critique when they first came out with their A7 body and Sony users had to endure these kind of comments/critique from DSLR owners.

Now that both Nikon and Canon have shown their FF mirrorless bodies, it’s only fair they receive critique from Sony users.... the tables have turned.

..... until Canon & Nikon make a more competitive body compared to Sony, they will continue to get negative critique unfortunately...... and equipment forums are the worst places to see it.

Not sure what I can say really..... Sony does have its negatives and as Sony users we have to accept them along with the negative critique, Canon & Nikon must accept it equally.

It’s only a camera system, nothing life and death folks. *group hug*

@Riz_Guru

The last page and a half of conversation has resulted in Keith posting this comment earlier:

Not my words, but those from an article I read recently, all I could do was nod and go ... MmmmHhhhm

"I shoot with a Sony a7II and corresponding full-frame lenses for the majority of my photography work, and it’s easy to get sucked into specification talk. “Micro contrast”, “razor sharp in the corners”, “cat’s eye shaped bokeh balls” — I’m particularly bad for the last one. Sony pushes specs more than they push feel — all you need to do is read photography forums to find the truth in this."

This is exactly how I feel and obviously what Keith feels for him to post it. These are NOT Keith's words but those of a reviewer who actually uses a Sony System. Straight away, through past experience you just know that firstly the post would be 'rubbished' and then the poster - exactly the same happened to me only a few days ago when I posted a link to an article in the Daily Telegraph stating a high number of Japanese would not buy Sony products because they felt they were unreliable - I got torn to shreds even though none of it was written by me!

Anyway, the next response Keith received to his post was a very sarcastic 'Riiiight' then a post later got this, straight away accusing him of being a troll..................

It's patently b*****ks and you know it. Top trolling mind.
g
Photographers have been arguing about the very things he or she mentions since forever. Don't go near a Leica forum unless you want to see people obsessing over the tiniest degrees of difference, and paying handsomely for it.

Some photographers are gear-heads, some aren't. You'll find both sorts using every single make.

You have said that Canon and Nikon don't produce a competitive body......................they didn't, you were right there products hadn't been released at that time but even when people posted positive reviews they were just shouted at and the post torn apart by the Sony users; Like I said, the offerings from Canikon are excellent and more than capable of producing top quality results, we don't need to keep hearing the spec sheet of the Sony - if I wanted one I can look myself.

The vitriolic attacks on anyone who posts negatively about Sony or their camera is a joke!

(P.S. Keith is big and ugly enough to fight his own corner but to others the responses get tiresome)

Last edited:
We should have all bought into a Fuji system, there isn’t half as much tech related talk on their thread, just plenty of wonderful photo. :) lol
I’ve still got a soft spot for Fuji :eek:

We should have all bought into a Fuji system, there isn’t half as much tech related talk on their thread, just plenty of wonderful photo. :) lol
I’ve still got a soft spot for Fuji :eek:

.... Have you not read the title of this thread? Let me help you out : "Talk Equipment > Canon FF mirrorless..."

Let me point out something else to you which is glaringly obvious : The Canon EOS R is not quite (but very soon now) in the hands of the general public yet and so no-one here has actually shot any wonderful photos to post here.

Myself and many others subscribed and posted in this thread because of a genuine interest in Canon's new mirrorless EOS R, not because of an interest in Nikon or Sony or other brand equivalents which have their own dedicated threads on TalkPhotography. It's all very well to make specification comparisons between brands but you, together with several others (mostly worse than you), are spoiling this thread.

There are plenty of other threads both on TP and online where you can entertain yourself with such puerile behaviour and where it is more appropriate and acceptable, even fun. [Where the heck are this forum's Moderators!?]

:punch::punch::punch:

Pretty clear to me that Sony cater to gear heads over photographers, ok in the context of the article it'll make more sense, but even stand-alone I would have thought that obvious. I just forgot about people like you, that need over explaining.

http://toolsandtoys.net/reviews/the...ilux-15mm-f1-7-micro-four-thirds-lens-review/

It's a lens review [one that I own] and he's talking about it having a nice 'feel' about it, where Sony gear just feels like gear that is more about spec lists than having any real charm. I see Sony gear that way, I could understand what he meant right off, a butt hurt Sony user won't as readily I guess :p

Quote - "I love this lens hood" - now there's a geek if I ever saw one...........

To the several people here who have asked whether I am going to buy an EOS R, the answer is most probably and I have one on preorder with Wex.

I have posted and explained my reasons before :

I primarily shoot on a Canon 1DX-2 which is set to 14fps and with either EF 100-400mm or 500mm Canon L II lenses but I also shoot on a Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS for close-ups (mostly shot Manual Focus) on subjects like dragonflies etc. The EOS R will replace my EOS M5 mirrorless which I find uncomfortably small and is mounted on the macro lens. But also it makes sense to buy a RF 24-105mm F/4L IS to replace my EF 24-70mm F/4L IS as it's available as a kit with the new mirrorless EOS R body. I'm selling my 7D-2 too as I rarely use it since having the 1DX-2.

It varies of course but I go out and shoot between 200 and 1200 nearly every week and sometimes 1500 on a long dawn-til-dusk day where there is plenty of active wildlife.

The great thing about camera systems is that we are offered such a wide choice of horses-for-courses. I'm not interested in changing brand because Canon already offer me tools which I enjoy using.

Last edited:
.... Have you not read the title of this thread? Let me help you out : "Talk Equipment > Canon FF mirrorless..."

Let me point out something else to you which is glaringly obvious : The Canon EOS R is not quite (but very soon now) in the hands of the general public yet and so no-one here has actually shot any wonderful photos to post here.

Myself and many others subscribed and posted in this thread because of a genuine interest in Canon's new mirrorless EOS R, not because of an interest in Nikon or Sony or other brand equivalents which have their own dedicated threads on TalkPhotography. It's all very well to make specification comparisons between brands but you, together with several others (mostly worse than you), are spoiling this thread.

There are plenty of other threads both on TP and online where you can entertain yourself with such puerile behaviour and where it is more appropriate and acceptable, even fun. [Where the heck are this forum's Moderators!?]

:punch::punch::punch:

I understand what your saying but if Canon users bash Sony products what did you think was going to happen? It all kicked off and your right, spoils threads, I apologise for my part in it. I just meant it as light banter.

For every action, there is a reaction.... most will defend their purchases, the same way Canon fanboi’s defend Canon, Sony fanboi’s will defend Sony.

:D

I understand what your saying but if Canon users bash Sony products what did you think was going to happen? It all kicked off and your right, spoils threads, I apologise for my part in it. I just meant it as light banter.

For every action, there is a reaction.... most will defend their purchases, the same way Canon fanboi’s defend Canon, Sony fanboi’s will defend Sony.

:D
sorry but no , tit for tat is childish beyond belief. I dislike Sony ff but read my posts and you will see it is possible to post without putting other people down.
its so child like to bash others for there chosen camera.
I am interested in reading about this system and Nikons, if I want to read about Sony or Nikons ff I will go to those threads-there is zero need in the camera threads for the bashing and put down crap. I have lost interest in reading most of the talk equipment section because of the so called specs being compared/ posted about. and calling someone a fanboy because they like a different make is just pathetic- sorry but how about live and let live, and perhaps if your not into or interested in a camera just butt out the thread and allow those who are to read sensible posts. adding a smilly or the odd post that's relevant doesn't help, when most of the stuff posted is just dire.

@Riz_Guru

The last page and a half of conversation has resulted in Keith posting this comment earlier:

This is exactly how I feel and obviously what Keith feels for him to post it. These are NOT Keith's words but those of a reviewer who actually uses a Sony System. Straight away, through past experience you just know that firstly the post would be 'rubbished' and then the poster - exactly the same happened to me only a few days ago when I posted a link to an article in the Daily Telegraph stating a high number of Japanese would not buy Sony products because they felt they were unreliable - I got torn to shreds even though none of it was written by me!

Anyway, the next response Keith received to his post was a very sarcastic 'Riiiight' then a post later got this, straight away accusing him of being a troll..................

You have said that Canon and Nikon don't produce a competitive body......................they didn't, you were right there products hadn't been released at that time but even when people posted positive reviews they were just shouted at and the post torn apart by the Sony users; Like I said, the offerings from Canikon are excellent and more than capable of producing top quality results, we don't need to keep hearing the spec sheet of the Sony - if I wanted one I can look myself.

The vitriolic attacks on anyone who posts negatively about Sony or their camera is a joke!

(P.S. Keith is big and ugly enough to fight his own corner but to others the responses get tiresome)

Damn straight! . . . I'm not ugly though, quite handsome according to any woman who ever had me

Sadly more and more threads are turning into the s*** show this one has become.

Back