Canon FF mirrorless...

I think regular readers will make their minds up fairly quickly who are the serial abusers, pointless arguers and flingers of childish insults and who needs to take a long hard look at themselves. I agree with MJ, start with the man in the mirror.
I guess you don't mean Michael Jackson :D

....Thanks for posting this, Riz - One of the first EOS R fuller reviews I have seen which is done in the field rather than in a blog/vlog or from behind a desk and which consequently contains some valuable information for anyone seriously considering buying one (me!).

Choosing a camera body irrespective of whether it's to be used as an additional body or not, is a very individual matter. My concern has always been whether I can live with its slow fps rate when not being used to shoot mini-beast close-ups where it is far less critical. I'm off to photograph Brown Bears in northern Finland next year and think I would prefer to have the option with me of a totally silent shutter in that environment rather than the 1DX-2 machine gun sound, although smell is a Bear's superpower sense - Changing my underpants regularly isn't going to make much difference!

Also, hearing it said in this review that the Back Button Focus button is awkwardly positioned is a bit of a deal breaker too. However, IF the Multi-Function Bar could be customised for one end to be BBF ONE SHOT and the other end AI-SERVO, that might be an awesome feature <<< EDIT: I have just learnt that this is not possible.

Hearing that the EOS R weather sealing only matches the 6D-2 and not the 5D-4 is a concern too - A friend recently had his 5D-4 stop working and A.J.Johnstone of Glasgow (a fully approved Canon repair centre) reported that there had been water ingress and yet I know that my friend looks after his gear and had not dunked it!

It has left me thinking that perhaps I should wait to see what the next version EOS R version offers but how long is that going to be!? I'm 71yo and not getting any younger. OR buy it to take advantage of the kit offer of RF 24-105mm F/4L IS which I want to extend my existing 24-70mm range and then part exchange it for a higher spec version when available but only if it addresses my concerns and also has the fully articulated screen.

I don't shoot any video on any camera and so any shortcomings (or advantages if any) the EOS R has for video simply doesn't concern me.

Last edited:
A Couple of jpegs (I have the CR3's but not converter yet} from the EOS R, both not really my type of shot.

Frog is with the 100/400mkii with lens adapter portrait is with the RF 50 1.2. Personally I really liked using the camera, certainly different handling to my 7D or 5Diii and will take some getting used to to get the best out of it.

Will I be spending my heard earned on it..... like others have said I think I will wait for the next version

A Couple of jpegs (I have the CR3's but not converter yet} from the EOS R, both not really my type of shot.

Frog is with the 100/400mkii with lens adapter portrait is with the RF 50 1.2. Personally I really liked using the camera, certainly different handling to my 7D or 5Diii and will take some getting used to to get the best out of it.

Will I be spending my heard earned on it..... like others have said I think I will wait for the next version

....It sounds like it feels good to use. Probably a little easier for those of us who have already used a mirrorless EOS M5.

Do you usually shoot with Back Button Focus? < What do you think of the position of the AF-ON button please?

Canon Rumors are saying that the next version will be announced in January so I think I might wait but I'm not sure.

Canon Rumors are also saying that the soon-to-be-released firmware will add the options of silent shooting in continuous mode and eye-detect AF in continuous shooting.

....It sounds like it feels good to use. Probably a little easier for those of us who have already used a mirrorless EOS M5.

Do you usually shoot with Back Button Focus? < What do you think of the position of the AF-ON button please?

Canon Rumors are saying that the next version will be announced in January so I think I might wait but I'm not sure.

Canon Rumors are also saying that the soon-to-be-released firmware will add the options of silent shooting in continuous mode and eye-detect AF in continuous shooting.

Eye-AF is a biggie for me, if Canon implement it that would be great.
I’m looking forward to seeing real world reviews of the lenses.... both the 50mm f1.2 and the 28-70mm f2.0 look great. :)

Eye-AF is a biggie for me, if Canon implement it that would be great.
I’m looking forward to seeing real world reviews of the lenses.... both the 50mm f1.2 and the 28-70mm f2.0 look great. :)

Why do you feel you need eye AF? Nobody needed it up until now, why is it such a must? What do you even shoot? [not even being funny, I have no clue]

Why do you feel you need eye AF? Nobody needed it up until now, why is it such a must? What do you even shoot? [not even being funny, I have no clue]

Getting eyes sharp on wide open portraits consistently is a massive plus for someone who does a lot of people photography

Getting eyes sharp on wide open portraits consistently is a massive plus for someone who does a lot of people photography

Yes. Being able to critically focus an eye when DoF is down to cms or even mms, and track it as it moves around, is a major plus feature for mirrorless. Shallow DoF like this is not something that troubles many M4/3 users though :D

Yes, always use back button focus. I had a little trouble hitting the slide bar to start with. I guess due to smaller size and muscle memory from the 5D, just different if that makes sense.

On good thing for people who buy before end of December is the adapter comes free, we were told from January you have to purchase separately. How ever if I were s betting man it will remain as part of the kit given the current lens line up?

Yes. Being able to critically focus an eye when DoF is down to cms or even mms, and track it as it moves around, is a major plus feature for mirrorless. Shallow DoF like this is not something that troubles many M4/3 users though :D

Whilst I agree that may be useful it would lead to someone taking a high number of 'weird' portraits when only a couple of eyelashes are in focus with a DoF of mm?

Eye-AF is a biggie for me,

If you are going to state that eye AF is a game changer for you then please post a link to a portfolio that shows why eye AF really suits your style of photography (very shallow DoF portraits?); back up your statement with evidence!

I'm sure the Canon ergonomics are fantastic; especially for someone who is used to shooting the brand :)

Is there a reason why a manufacturer would implement a feature (Eye AF) at a later date with a firmware update - is this an indication they are just trying to perfect it before it is released and just need more time?

Last edited:
f you are going to state that eye AF is a game changer for you then please post a link to a portfolio that shows why eye AF really suits your style of photography (very shallow DoF portraits?); back up your statement with evidence!

Why ever would he need to do that? I don't understand why eye AF is so important but the guy has a preference, that's all.

Whilst I agree that may be useful it would lead to someone taking a high number of 'weird' portraits when only a couple of eyelashes are in focus with a DoF of mm?

If you are going to state that eye AF is a game changer for you then please post a link to a portfolio that shows why eye AF really suits your style of photography (very shallow DoF portraits?); back up your statement with evidence!

I'm sure the Canon ergonomics are fantastic; especially for someone who is used to shooting the brand :)

Is there a reason why a manufacturer would implement a feature (Eye AF) at a later date with a firmware update - is this an indication they are just trying to perfect it before it is released and just need more time?
You can display images showing how eye af is a game changer or not. You have to go hang out with the photographer while he or she is doing a shoot. See how the camera locks on the eye and how many of there shots get the eye in focus without doing a focus recompose or moving the af points around. It's the experience you need to see for yourself or cough cough experience for yourself.

Why ever would he need to do that? I don't understand why eye AF is so important but the guy has a preference, that's all.

........because it would assist readers in evaluating the type of photography where eye AF is so important to a user rather than just pulling features of a spec sheet. It is a photography forum where picture sharing at every opportunity may be a good idea?

How hard is it to post a link?

........because it would assist readers in evaluating the type of photography where eye AF is so important to a user rather than just pulling features of a spec sheet. It is a photography forum where picture sharing at every opportunity may be a good idea?

It's useful for any photography where you want to get focus on someone's eyes without needing to set a focus point manually, next question?

Yes, always use back button focus. I had a little trouble hitting the slide bar to start with. I guess due to smaller size and muscle memory from the 5D, just different if that makes sense.

....Thanks Kev. Yes it makes sense - Fortunately muscle memory adapts fairly quickly and also applies itself as you swop from body to body and back again I find. Having both touch screen and non-touch screen bodies is another feature for muscle memory to adapt to. You just lose a split second initially as the brain is informed which body you are now shooting with.

So, I'm understanding from your reply that the AF-ON button position is not so awkward that it is a deal breaker for a BBF user.

One good thing for people who buy before end of December is the adapter comes free, we were told from January you have to purchase separately. However if I were a betting man it will remain as part of the kit given the current lens line up?

....I've got one on preorder with Wex (which I can cancel of course) with the standard adapter and RF 24-105mm both included as a kit offer saving £199. I would have to buy a Control Ring Adapter separately which costs £199. IF I sold the EOS R body to upgrade it later with a higher spec version I would be able to include the standard adapter in the sale. You possibly already know from my other posts in this thread that I already have a 1DX-2 (NOT being sold) and a 7D-2 and mirrorless EOS M5 (both being part exchanged for the EOS R kit).

Having had a 70D, I really valued and miss a fully articulated screen for photographing minibeasts and shooting at low level. I'm not confident that the next released higher spec EOS R body will have an articulated screen, but of course none of us know.

Canon have stated very clearly on several occasions that their adapters are to encourage existing EF lens owners to add mirrorless RF bodies to their system rather than jump to a rival brand < This certainly suits me very well.

The biggest reason for me buying an EOS R is to replace my 'too-small-to-enjoy-using' mirrorless M5 (with EF lens adapter).

Last edited:

....My guess, and it can only be a guess, is that Canon realised it was a good marketing plan to launch the EOS R in time for the Photokina show and which is also what their rivals were doing.

Canon will have been working on developing the EOS R system for much much longer than many people realise and they continue to do so < Both hardware and software development never really ends and is just punctuated by stages of public release (I know this from my pre-release work for Adobe). Such features being added via a firmware update are obviously viable and I don't think we need to think of their timing as being either an oversight or a fault (not that you were necessarily meaning that, Fraser).

Canon have also stated that we can expect firmware updates more often in the future than we have done in the past and this makes sense when you consider that mirrorless cameras have less mechanical parts and have more sophisticated software.

Having used Eye-AF or different bodies from two different manufacturers, it’s a great feature to have as your disposal. Once you have experienced it and got used to it, it’s hard to go back to going to a body without it.

Eye-AF is nothing new and has been around for some time in the mirrorless world so not sure why you think nobody needed it, perhaps in the DSLR world this statement is true as they can’t do reliable Eye-AF ;)

I rarely shoot much, too busy being a IT Consultant, however I have shot enough personal and paid work to realise Eye-AF’s benefits as apposed to not having it at all.

Why do I think Canon should have it, it’s because Canon will then interest me more and most likely others too.... the more features the better in my opinion.

Eye-AF just makes life easier, it tracks the eye and you can get great results vs. traditional methods.

I’m not sure why I need to prove how good it is or myself for that matter. This is a gear thread and not a personal one.

The technology speaks for itself, just google “benefits of Eye-AF” and you’ll see for yourself ;)

Canon are going to bring it to the EOS R via firmware, so there must be some benefit to it to warrant the R&D costs :)

Even just face detect has been a revelation for me as it allows me to concentrate on capturing the moment and the framing rather than worrying about how I'm going to move the focus point. Face detect allows me to focus anywhere in the frame very quickly and to be able to compose the shot exactly how I want. Without it the only way to quickly get candid shots with the face anywhere in the frame would be to rely on manual focus, focus and recompose or zone focus and none of these would be as good as face detect and might well not stand up to pixel peeping and certainly wouldn't be possible at wide apertures. Face detect allows fast and accurate focus anywhere in the frame and eye detect will only be better.

Having used face detect and deciding it's excellent I can understand why portrait, wedding and other people photographers are raving about eye detect.

How hard is it to post a link?

And how hard is it do perform a little research and search on the Internet regarding the benefits of Eye-AF?

Here you go....

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/eos-m50/eos-m50-autofocus.shtml

View: https://youtu.be/VUTdR758XfU

Last edited:

Even at wider apertures you don't necessarily end up with just a couple of eye lashes in the DoF.

You don't need links to portfolios or lots of examples posting for this, just check a DoF table and you should be able to work out how much DoF you'll get for example at 85mm and f1.8.

And you also have to consider your output and viewing. If you do a full A4 page print of a half to 3/4 body shot taken with a 24mp plus camera and 85mm at f1.4 and look at it even closely you're not going to be able to tell that if you look at it at 100% on screen only one eyelash will be sharp.

To me face / eye / object recognition and tracking is going to be huge in the future. You can still shoot hyperfocally and zone focus if you want and you can focus and recompose too but for those who want to use it these new AF detect modes are really useful.

Last edited:
Not to mention the next big evolution in Eye-AF tracking .... Animal Eye-AF :D

Stick a 45/75mm f1.4/1.8 "portrait" lens on MFT for a half to 3/4 body shot and you'll get thin enough DoF for all be the most hard core razor thin DoF enthusiasts and the benefits of face and eye detect are just as real for focusing anywhere in the frame easily so that you can concentrate on other things.

Not to mention the next big evolution in Eye-AF tracking .... Animal Eye-AF :D

I'm not to bothered about animal eye detect apart from the odd dog or cat shot but object recognition would interest me more, like focus and recompose but with the focus really remaining there and not relying on DoF to cover any movement.

So, I'm understanding from your reply that the AF-ON button position is not so awkward that it is a deal breaker for a BBF user.

Certainly not for me, very easy transition in the two hours I had to play with it. A little more difficult was no joystick to change the focus point, however with lots of options for the screen once you have the right set up it shouldn’t be an issue.

....I've got one on preorder with Wex (which I can cancel of course) with the standard adapter and RF 24-105mm both included as a kit offer saving £199. I would have to buy a Control Ring Adapter separately which costs £199. IF I sold the EOS R body to upgrade it later with a higher spec version I would be able to include the standard adapter in the sale. You possibly already know from my other posts in this thread that I already have a 1DX-2 (NOT being sold) and a 7D-2 and mirrorless EOS M5 (both being part exchanged for the EOS R kit).

Having had a 70D, I really valued and miss a fully articulated screen for photographing minibeasts and shooting at low level. I'm not confident that the next released higher spec EOS R body will have an articulated screen, but of course none of us know.

To me solid logic, I feel like px’ing both 7D&5D. The flip screen would be a massive bonus to me for wife & low landscape shots plus a little saving in the body for wild camping.

Canon have stated very clearly on several occasions that their adapters are to encourage existing EF lens owners to add mirrorless RF bodies to their system rather than jump to a rival brand < This certainly suits me very well.

Has to be a great business idea and bonus to the user given the price of the new lenses. Also some of the existing EF lenses get an unexpected IQ boost, Canon stated the 50 1.2L does give better IQ when on the EOS R compared to existing bodies.

Regarding the adapter with the in built ND filter, I wonder how many stops this offers?

Last edited:
Simon Barker
Rix Guru
Johnnymendoza
woof woof

...............and what cameras do you currently own?

Thought so, yet again the Sony mafioso are on the attack with their spec sheets!

Why are you lot so unwilling to show the type of photography you do that makes eye AF such an important feature?

Simon Barker
Rix Guru
Johnnymendoza
woof woof

...............and what cameras do you currently own?

Thought so, yet again the Sony mafioso are on the attack with their spec sheets!

Why are you lot so unwilling to show the type of photography you do that makes eye AF such an important feature?
Re read what I said earlier this morning!

Someone else also agrees that autofocus is overated for most subjects (AF tracking is very useful though)

ken rockwell said:
With AF SLRs, after you turn them on, you have to spend many photo-missing minutes selecting AF sensors, selecting among the ways to select these AF sensors (wrap-around, direct, etc.), programming AF modes (AI servo, AI focus, AF-S, AF-C, tracking, tracking hold interval, lock-on duration etc.), choosing among AF sensor group allocation modes (single, group, network, 3D, tracking, etc.) and selecting how and when what AF assist light comes on to annoy your subjects, or not come on and not focus. Maybe if you got it all right after 10 minutes of fiddling, maybe the camera will focus as you intended

I'm sure we all love uncle Ken :)

When I hold a MF camera to my eye it always focuses as I intend - almost instantly :)

Last edited:
And Elie Bescont (Street Tog), when asked what the most important features of a Camera to be used for street photography states:

elie Bescont said:
A very accurate and quick manual focusing system, because unmediated chance encounters and random incidents usually come without notice.

Someone else also agrees that autofocus is overated for most subjects (AF tracking is very useful though)

I'm sure we all love uncle Ken :)

When I hold a MF camera to my eye it always focuses as I intend - almost instantly :)
You focus manually, we get it, and you are apparently amazing at it, :rolleyes: we get that too, but most people are very happy with the AF in cameras, and also happy that it gets better all the time.

Jeez, quoting KR, :eek: (I can't even bare to write his name) that is a new low. :( Make sure you quote him when he is not making up some BS to stoke internet forums for traffic to his site. :rolleyes: And so watch he doesn't contradict himself at some point in the future because of that. :rolleyes:

You know all those things he says you have to do before you take a picture, you really don't have to. People generally leave the AF settings in the most useful and often used settings so that they can pick it up and use it quickly. Those who use back button focus can also quickly switch between AFS and AFC by just pressing a button or not. All the extra settings can help people focus in more demanding situations, which some people will delve into, but most will not. And at any time if you want to focus manually, you can do that too.

Imho you are troll that adds almost nothing to any thread you post on from what I have seen apart from **** stirring. Whatever gets you through the day eh!. :rolleyes:

....My guess, and it can only be a guess, is that Canon realised it was a good marketing plan to launch the EOS R in time for the Photokina show and which is also what their rivals were doing.

Canon will have been working on developing the EOS R system for much much longer than many people realise and they continue to do so < Both hardware and software development never really ends and is just punctuated by stages of public release (I know this from my pre-release work for Adobe). Such features being added via a firmware update are obviously viable and I don't think we need to think of their timing as being either an oversight or a fault (not that you were necessarily meaning that, Fraser).

Canon have also stated that we can expect firmware updates more often in the future than we have done in the past and this makes sense when you consider that mirrorless cameras have less mechanical parts and have more sophisticated software.

I agree with this Robin - I think it was important that Canon 'got their camera to market' and it will obviously makes the decision easier for Canon users to switch to the mirrorless system. I know Nikon updated several video features on their D5 after it was released and hope that Canon can implement specs via firmware but I'm not sure the eye AF would be that important to me (as described in my earlier posts).

Maybe your decision to wait is correct at this point, if you love the ergonomics of canon cameras then it's definately worth staying with them as you feel comfortable with their use.

Will it not always be the temptation to 'just wait' for the next generation though?

(p.s. your wildlife shots are fantastic! (y))

Last edited:
You focus manually, we get it, and you are apparently amazing at it, :rolleyes: we get that too, but most people are very happy with the AF in cameras, and also happy that it gets better all the time.

Jeez, quoting KR, :eek: (I can't even bare to write his name) that is a new low. :( Make sure you quote him when he is not making up some BS to stoke internet forums for traffic to his site. :rolleyes: And so watch he doesn't contradict himself at some point in the future because of that. :rolleyes:

You know all those things he says you have to do before you take a picture, you really don't have to. People generally leave the AF settings in the most useful and often used settings so that they can pick it up and use it quickly. Those who use back button focus can also quickly switch between AFS and AFC by just pressing a button or not. All the extra settings can help people focus in more demanding situations, which some people will delve into, but most will not. And at any time if you want to focus manually, you can do that too.

Imho you are troll that adds almost nothing to any thread you post on from what I have seen apart from **** stirring. Whatever gets you through the day eh!. :rolleyes:
Well said

Good to see normal service has resumed with the childish abuse being thrown around just because someone disagrees that 'Eye AF' is a huge game changer :ty:

Back