Canon FF mirrorless...

Why shouldn’t he be. It works for him, allows him to persue his passion and that’s all anyone needs. This chasing photographic nirvana by buying the latest and greatest only to produce the same sort of images that were being produced before isn’t for everyone. Robin is unapologetic for his view of Canon which is a bloody sight more refreshing to see than others who claim they are not fanboys of a particular system.

You can stick with a certain manufacturer [which is all it is really] without being a 'fanboy' - you seem to not know the difference. Robin is talking pish, and doesn't need a baby sitter

You can stick with a certain manufacturer [which is all it is really] without being a 'fanboy' - you seem to not know the difference. Robin is talking pish, and doesn't need a baby sitter

And you do know the difference? I’m not babysitting anyone and the only one who’s talking b*****ks on this forum is you, which you make a point of doing regularly. You seem to want to argue with everyone which would be ok if you could put together a reasonable argument but you seen to base your comments around insulting other people.

And you do know the difference? I’m not babysitting anyone and the only one who’s talking b*****ks on this forum is you, which you make a point of doing regularly. You seem to want to argue with everyone which would be ok if you could put together a reasonable argument but you seen to base your comments around insulting other people.

Oh we have a little ranter, straight in with big cuss words :D I call people out for talking crap, and Robin was, now you're defending him like a demented little tool and you're not actually saying anything! Your whole post there is nothing but a lame attack that I don't give a solid s*** about, you're a nobody moron who doesn't even know what fanboy means, god bless your simple mind

I've not argued with anyone on here in ages you dope, you've not been following me around enough it seems. There's been bitching on here for days that I skipped over, and if you had more than a double digit IQ you'd see good ol' Robin is the one who's been poking for a few days and made smart comments aimed at me first. Not that I should explain to such a dim wit, but just for the record

Last edited:
Why shouldn’t he be. It works for him, allows him to persue his passion and that’s all anyone needs. This chasing photographic nirvana by buying the latest and greatest only to produce the same sort of images that were being produced before isn’t for everyone. Robin is unapologetic for his view of Canon which is a bloody sight more refreshing to see than others who claim they are not fanboys of a particular system.
It's his life. I don't care but at the same time think it's wrong and stupid to be a fanboy of a manufacturer.

....I didn't say that people with less money shouldn't buy Canon - I questioned their wisdom in buying into the EOS D-SLR system..

Because you do not need a lot of money to get in to the EOS system? A cheap nifty 50 and a cheap EOS body is all some people will need. Plus there is a wealth of cheap enough lenses to keep people going who have less money?

Out of interest though - what would you suggest people with less money go for?

Last edited:
Oh we have a little ranter, straight in with big cuss words :D I call people out for talking crap, and Robin was, now you're defending him like a demented little tool and you're not actually saying anything! Your whole posts there is nothing but a lame attack that I don't give a solid s*** about, you're a nobody moron who doesn't even know what fanboy mean, god bless your simple mind

Another one of your reasoned keyboard warrior posts. You really are a complete arse. But at least I won't have to read your s*** anymore thanks to the ignore button.

Another one of your reasoned keyboard warrior posts. You really are a complete arse. But at least I won't have to read you s*** anymore thanks to the ignore button.

Use that button for sure, let the adults get on with it, run along now dim wit

Because you do not need a lot of money to get in to the EOS system? A cheap nifty 50 and a cheap EOS body is all some people will need. Plus there is a wealth of cheap enough lenses to keep people going who have less money?

Even Sony offer cheap ff mirrorless. Grab a A7 and a samyang 35mm 2.8 and your laughing [emoji23]

Even Sony offer cheap ff mirrorless. Grab a A7 and a samyang 35mm 2.8 and your laughing [emoji23]

Yup.

For non action stuff it's all many will ever need :D and even the face detect seems to work well enough too :D

Gotta be careful though as you're talking me out of getting an A7III :D

Yup.

For non action stuff it's all many will ever need :D and even the face detect seems to work well enough too :D

Lol. I think the cheapest you need for a mirrorless ff is around 1k all in for a body one lens and maybe some batteries and memory cards.

For canon dslr probably cheaper if you buy an old 5d2? How much is an old 5d2 on the bay or even the mk3?

Yup.

You should send me your A7 if you buy the III, because I'm poor and needy :ROFLMAO:

Lol. I think the cheapest you need for a mirrorless ff is around 1k all in for a body one lens and maybe some batteries and memory cards.

For canon dslr probably cheaper if you buy an old 5d2? How much is an old 5d2 on the bay or even the mk3?

You can get a Canon FF for less than £1K brand new

Last edited:
Yup.

A7iii EYE AF, better Grip, better built, faster, nicer.... go go go!

You should send me your A7 if you buy the III, because I'm poor and needy :ROFLMAO:

You can get a Canon FF for less than £1K brand new

I wouldn't make you feel like a kept man. The current arrangement we have works fine :D

If / when I buy something new my A7 will be offered in the for sale section at a reasonable price, I think I price everything I sell reasonably :D

I wouldn't make you feel like a kept man. The current arrangement we have works fine :D

If / when I buy something new my A7 will be offered in the for sale section at a reasonable price, I think I price everything I sell reasonably :D

Nah I'm good really, though it'd be a nice back up to my G80 :p

....I would advise that they go for the camera which best suits shooting the subjects they enjoy photographing and that they buy the best they can afford to achieve this. As usual it's Horses-for-Courses and why many photographers buy more than one body and several lenses < A comprehensive system (such as Canon's for example) facilitates this.

As we all know, most of the established manufacturers offer a complete range of variously priced cameras from as little as £100? And then there's the secondhand market - For example, I have bought D-SLR L lenses from TalkPhotography's Classifieds.

Of course, if someone prefers to spend their money on a big TV etc instead, that's their choice entirely. It depends how serious you are about your photography regardless of whether you are a professional or amateur.

But I would also advise remembering what Ansel Adams said [quoted in my signature below].

wow, a lot of arguments going on in here.

Guys, its just a camera. one that hasn't even been proven to work or not work yet. Every manufacturer updates its FW at some point, Canon is no different and should be singled out for it .. In fact on dpreview someone told me that Fuji are the better company because they do regular FW updates with new features. I have no idea if thats true, but i dont see them getting bashed for.

If you like a feature on a camera thats a personal choice. If you dont, same thing. Appreciate that everyone likes different things.

Not everyone can afford to buy in to a new system, so they stick with what they have. I have all Canon. If i was starting out again, who knows. I like what i have and it works, im sure the same goes for Sony and the other lot.

With pros using all brands and getting fantastic results it shows, IMO, that any brand can work, and you dont need all those features, so there really isnt any point arguing that this or that is a must have.

All IMO of course.

....I would advise that they go for the camera which best suits shooting the subjects they enjoy photographing and that they buy the best they can afford to achieve this. As usual it's Horses-for-Courses and why many photographers buy more than one body and several lenses < A comprehensive system (such as Canon's for example) facilitates this.

As we all know, most of the established manufacturers offer a complete range of variously priced cameras from as little as £100? And then there's the secondhand market - For example, I have bought D-SLR L lenses from TalkPhotography's Classifieds.

Of course, if someone prefers to spend their money on a big TV etc instead, that's their choice entirely. It depends how serious you are about your photography regardless of whether you are a professional or amateur.

But I would also advise remembering what Ansel Adams said [quoted in my signature below].

True, but you can buy an EOS 100D and a 50mm used for under £200 so people with less money can still enjoy the EOS system.

Proof that you don't even know what you're posting anymore "by Sean Setters" unless his other name is Bryan.
I assume that 'Sean Setters' is a poor pun and a pen name rather than someone's real name.

Last edited:
True, but you can buy an EOS 100D and a 50mm used for under £200 so people with less money can still enjoy the EOS system.

....Agreed. I borrowed my daughter's 100D and small zoom kit lens (I forget the exact focal lengths) but quickly found that it was very limited for photographing the wildlife pictures I wanted to capture. Hence the 70D and then gradually boom!! - My EOS system expanded! :D

So I come back to saying that choosing a camera is primarily driven by what you want to photograph < Horses-for-Courses. Regarding cost, where there is a will there is a way even if your living room is in need of redecoration.

Last edited:

I rather like this one more

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!”

I rather like this one more

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!”
And behind those twelve inches that person will need deep pockets to truely enjoy the Canon R system! lol:D

Guys, its just a camera. one that hasn't even been proven to work or not work yet. Every manufacturer updates its FW at some point, Canon is no different and should be singled out for it .. In fact on dpreview someone told me that Fuji are the better company because they do regular FW updates with new features. I have no idea if thats true, but i dont see them getting bashed for.
For me there are different types of firmware updates. First, there a bug updates. The software is complicated and code may not work correctly, and not all bugs can be found before release. Hopefully that type of firmware update is fixed quickly once any problems come to light, which sometimes only come to light when many people start using the camera on many different ways.

Secondly, there are firmware updates that add extra features to cameras which were already selling well because a lot of people were already happy because the camera was advertised having features that people expected to work in a certain way. If the manufacturer adds features though, like Canon did with a large increase in features for the 7D mid life, and Nikon added a new focus mode to the D5, and Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic seem to add over the course of the products lifespan, then that enhances the product people already have, and is good customer service.

Thirdly there are the firmware updates that seem to add stuff that should have been working on release. The Canon eye detect AF for this R camera sounds like one of those imho. If you read that a camera had eye AF, you would expect it to work in a similar way to Sony. Maybe not quite as good because they have been refining that feature for many years, but to find out that it can't continuously eye AF, and that you can not use the a burst mode either, but will be able to in the future via an update sounds like it was not ready to be released. The software industry does that, they release a game for example, and as soon as you put the game in the machine it has to download an update before you can even play it, and will continuously receive updates. Sometimes they are fixing bugs, but also adding features which should have been on release, and also sometimes adding extra features. Hopefully it will not become widespread in the camera industry.

No doubt the fanboys will say 'I don't use eye AF!', 'I wouldn't use a burst mode when doing portraits!' That is not the point.

I have no doubt there will be updates to fix bugs, as with almost all cameras, but to add features which should have been there on release at some unspecified point in the future is not right imho. Yvmv. ;)

Disappear? It'll be a long time until they do that but maybe they'll fade away and not last as long as SLR's did / have if only for the reason that the electronics in many of them will have long since given up and stopped working, ditto with the lenses. Much of this stuff will be an unusable paperweight in 20 years time.

Some of my manual lenses will still be useable, maybe after a service, in 100 years time :D if anyone cares :D but electronic bodies and fly by wire lenses wont be.

In reality EF lenses and bodies seem to be unsupported by Canon quite early into their life. I have a couple of L lenses that in my mind cost a fortune, nearly a £1000 each and I find already they are unsupported in less than 8 years into their lives, probably because of the electronics, whereas my FD lenses are still going strong 30 odd years after they were superseded by EF lenses,shame Canon dont make an adapter to electronic bodies for those, I believe other makers do however, I suspect when my EF lenses pack up and I can no longer afford to be in the elite EOS system I'll be buying another make.

If the manufacturer adds features though, like Canon did with a large increase in features for the 7D mid life, and Nikon added a new focus mode to the D5, and Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic seem to add over the course of the products lifespan, then that enhances the product people already have, and is good customer service.

to add features which should have been there on release at some unspecified point in the future is not right imho. Yvmv. ;)

Isnt this the same thing?

Canon aren't mis-selling the camera, its all in the specs. If someone wants sometime to work in a different it doesnt mean it should. Expending on a feature is obviously welcome though. I love using eye detection on my M50 so im definitely in the pro camp for this feature.

As far as a few months later, well who knows. it could be 6 months or more. Canon will have a very good reason for not implementing it at this time IMO.

In reality EF lenses and bodies seem to be unsupported by Canon quite early into their life. I have a couple of L lenses that in my mind cost a fortune, nearly a £1000 each and I find already they are unsupported in less than 8 years into their lives, probably because of the electronics, whereas my FD lenses are still going strong 30 odd years after they were superseded by EF lenses,shame Canon dont make an adapter to electronic bodies for those, I believe other makers do however, I suspect when my EF lenses pack up and I can no longer afford to be in the elite EOS system I'll be buying another make.

There will I suppose be a minimum time period that camera gear has to be supported for after production ends but if there is I don't know what it is. Products I've been involved with in the past had to be supported for 10 years after they stopped making them. Of course some future legislation could come along to spoil this, for example there was quite a shake up when RoHS, WEEE, REACH and end of life came into being and it's anyones guess what may come along in the future which may make products difficult and expensive to support, if it's possible at all.

I don't think FD's make a lot of sense on Canon DSLR's as you need an adapter with a corrective lens in it to restore infinity focus but they'll work fine on cameras that just need you to add a spacer to restore the registration distance. I use my FD's (and Rokkors and Zuikos) on my mirrorless cameras and the only problems seem to be the odd jamming up which requires a strip down, clean and lube which isn't too expensive but another more serious problem is the coatings degenerating which pretty much makes them scrap. One good thing about using these old adapted lenses is that it makes swapping systems cheap as all you need (apart from the camera of course) is another dumb adapter.

I think the cheapest way of getting a FF back for FD's and other film era lenses is the original A7. They can of course be used on APS-C and MFT cameras with the associated crop factors. Mostly I think they're better on FF as you'll retain the original field of view.

Sorry if you knew all that :D

Last edited:
Canon EOS R: Best vlogging camera (is flawed)

According to Mr Northrop...

I'm feeling terribly left out. I'm going to become a vlogging wedding photographer so I can whinge and whinge and whinge some more. Even though they're a tiny fraction of the target market, their views are obviously the only ones that matter and if Canikon don't listen, the sky will fall in.

ps

Jared Polen's video linked earlier is quite a good and well-balanced summary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2xjMMbPkc

Back