Canon FF mirrorless...

I would like to stay with canon, however the release of the A6700 or A7000 may help me decide what to spend my money on.
Come on Canon I am still rooting for you !

This maybe sums up the problems other makers face.

Sony make an electric car that'll do 500 miles on a 5 minute charge, it handles immaculately, tops the NCAP ratings, is self driving at the flick of a switch and it's made of carbon fibre and is 100% recyclable but there's just something special about the way the Canon steering wheel fits my hand, it's a lovely colour and I prefer the font on the badge much more than the Sony font. Yes the Canon is more expensive, it's made of iron, only does 50 miles on a full charge and needs 8 hours to recharge but that colour and that steering wheel and in 10 years time I'm sure they'll be where Sony are now so I'm sticking with Canon :D

Sorry :D Couldn't resist :D

Last edited:
It it widely known that the D850 and D500 produce some great IQ compared to EOS 7Di / ii and 5DIV !

I can assure you that the 5D4 images compared to the D850 are exceptionally good and give very little away unless you’re trying to recover extremes of shadow detail. As the ISO rises the 5D4 is the better camera with cleaner files from 800 upwards.

It's NOT easy avoid, that's the point! It's ALL that seems to be discussed on here lately for one, I open YT and I'm flooded with suggestions to watch this , that or the other preview, half of them don't even have the gear they're ranting about.
You don't have to enter threads and read them. Just because a YT suggestion pops up, doesn't mean you have to watch it. Simple. :)

Indeed the A7iii does have an AA filter, however why is the IQ on sony beter than the canon !
I have seen lower end Nikon models get better IQ than my EOS 7D original some years ago. It it widely known that the D850 and D500 produce some great IQ compared to EOS 7Di / ii and 5DIV !

I would like to stay with canon, however the release of the A6700 or A7000 may help me decide what to spend my money on.
Come on Canon I am still rooting for you !

There are many reasons for the IQ, I wouldn’t say the top end recent L glass is behind the competition in sharpness, but certainly lenses like the 50L or 85L isn’t the sharpest out there, they are more about the rendering, more pleasing look rather than sharp enough to cut through a log.

I have some very sharp images from the 5D4, but I do find the Sony sharper, but on occasions the sharpness can be a negative. This is getting very picky but may be I am used to Canon, the look of the files is a bit more pleasing. Sometimes on the Sony, I zoom in and see all the pores and wrinkle and think this can be unflattering to the subject, not something I notice much on the Canon before. I guess you can dial down the clarity in post. There really is a lot in lens design in just pure sharpness, I find the Canon walks the fine line between sharp and flattering and lean more into flattering, whereas Sigma goes for the sharpness by the throat. Sony lenses in my limited experience it depends, the 35ZA isn’t as sharp as the 35L, but bokeh is nice. The 50ZA is SHARP and looks great. 85/1.8 is like a razor but missing the soul. The 85/1.4 GM is better but Canon 85L renders that bit better.

This is all very very very picky though because on the web they all look fantastic. I have shot some good images with the Canon 50/1.4 which by all accounts, one of the lesser lenses.

If you are going to PURE sharpness then Sony A7R3 with Sigma lenses, that’s probably the way to go if you want ultimate resolution in sensor and lens, focusing and lack of AA filter, throw in pixel shift too and I can’t see any combo out there to beat it.

You don't have to enter threads and read them. Just because a YT suggestion pops up, doesn't mean you have to watch it. Simple. :)

You don't have to read my posts either, very easily skipped over. It'll save you feeling the need to respond with corny advice that you can't follow yourself

I don't know what to make of this guy. On the one hand, he's got a great voice, is articulate and his videos are nicely lit and produced. I quite enjoy watching them. On the other hand, all the pausing for thought, the long looks away, all the 'hold that thoughts' and paradoxes. It all seems a bit OTT doesn't it? Can't just be me? Oh, and he used the word 'bigly'. *unsubscribe*

Last edited:
Sorry, you seemed to be having a little moan about the activity here. :rolleyes: I tried to help in what I thought was a humorous way, sorry you didn't see (or appreciate) the humour and sorry again for trying to help. :)

As for not reading your posts, if you post in a thread I am following I will probably read your posts. I could put you on ignore if you didn't want me to see your posts, and you could put me on ignore if you didn't want to see my posts. I don't do that, it is up to you what you want to do. I will try not to help you in the future in a serious or humorous way. ;) :)

I don't know what to make of this guy. On the one hand, he's got a great voice, is articulate and his videos are nicely lit and produced. I quite enjoy watching them. On the other hand, all the pausing for thought, the long looks away, all the 'hold that thoughts' and paradoxes. It all seems a bit OTT doesn't it? Can't just be me? Oh, and he used the word 'bigly'. *unsubscribe*
I have only seen him over the last month or so and he does have a very particular 'style'. ;) :LOL: I think in that last vid he was all over the place with his 'points'. I agree it all seems very polished and professional.

He does get irritating fast with the smirks, pauses and the way he insists on counting his points. The hold that thought thing seems a lame excuse for a tag-line, like Polin's 'I shoot Raw' - real original lads ...

Sorry, you seemed to be having a little moan about the activity here. :rolleyes: I tried to help in what I thought was a humorous way, sorry you didn't see (or appreciate) the humour and sorry again for trying to help. :)

As for not reading your posts, if you post in a thread I am following I will probably read your posts. I could put you on ignore if you didn't want me to see your posts, and you could put me on ignore if you didn't want to see my posts. I don't do that, it is up to you what you want to do. I will try not to help you in the future in a serious or humorous way. ;) :)

In your excitement to come back with yet another lame response you forgot to even quote, makes you look even wafflier ... now there's a word!

I was agreeing with someone else, if you're not entirely too thick to have noticed. But you thought you'd jump on it all flappy armed because it was me, not one of your equally lame pals. You've done nothing on here lately but moan at others, with a dozen smilies in every other post as if that made you any more interesting. It doesn't. From here on remember, my posts are over your head, best avoid as I suggested.

In your excitement to come back with yet another lame response you forgot to even quote, makes you look even wafflier ... now there's a word!

I was agreeing with someone else, if you're not entirely too thick to have noticed. But you thought you'd jump on it all flappy armed because it was me, not one of your equally lame pals. You've done nothing on here lately but moan at others, with a dozen smilies in every other post as if that made you any more interesting. It doesn't. From here on remember, my posts are over your head, best avoid as I suggested.
Yeah, should do what I do, moan about Canon :D

Yeah, should do what I do, moan about Canon :D

This is the funny thing, I wasn't moaning at all, just agree with someone how stupid it's become all these 'previews' on top of previews and it's all people here seem to be ranting over. But then I could just post "Boo!" on here and I get 3 notifications within a minute telling me off for it :D

This is the funny thing, I wasn't moaning at all, just agree with someone how stupid it's become all these 'previews' on top of previews and it's all people here seem to be ranting over. But then I could just post "Boo!" on here and I get 3 notifications within a minute telling me off for it :D
Don't take it to heart chap, its all good fun on here and sometimes words can be taken out of context or the wrong way etc. :)

And it has probably better ISO / DR ability? Maybe... oh and Eye-AF :D lol
About the same iso but canon slightly edges in Dr but not noticeable in real world shooting.

Canon have more pro tele lenses though and Sony need the 500 and 600mm ones.

Canon body is also more weather sealed but you can always put a rain coat on the sony but you can't easily flip the switch and have the whole entire frame capable of af or make the camera take more shots etc hehe

If you drop £2500 plus on a camera without doing some thorough research into what it can and cannot do and end up with something unsuitable then it’s your fault not the camera manufacturers.

I can’t believe that people can buy cameras based on headline specs and just take them as gospel.
You'd be surprised. Any (most) of the Canon Facebook groups ive been in are just full of owners asking the most basic of questions about their cameras. Ive unsubscribed from all of them as they are just full of idiots with too much money.

Competition isn't always a good thing for manufacturers. Bringing out all of those quick iterations of camera bodies, new tech and new lenses is an expensive process and I can imagine Nikon feeling the strain and perhaps even going pop.

....If a manufacturer responds to competition by rushing into things, then I agree. However, both Nikon and Canon have taken their time to introduce their first FF mirrorless versions in response to Sony's offerings.

From various interviews with senior Canon staff, it is clear that Canon at least (I don't know Nikon's attitude) would rather take their time to develop their products rather than rush. I don't think I have bookmarked any of these interviews to be able to post or quote - I can check.

I have only seen him over the last month or so and he does have a very particular 'style'. ;) :LOL: I think in that last vid he was all over the place with his 'points'. I agree it all seems very polished and professional.

Usually very articulate but in that points video he broke stride with an “ummmmm....”. Clearly lost his way a little and couldn’t be arsed to re shoot it.

You'd be surprised. Any (most) of the Canon Facebook groups ive been in are just full of owners asking the most basic of questions about their cameras. Ive unsubscribed from all of them as they are just full of idiots with too much money.

....I found that to be the case too and have unsubscribed. Very unexpected.

But I can never criticise someone for having 'too much money'. I don't want much, I just want a lot of it! :D

....If a manufacturer responds to competition by rushing into things, then I agree. However, both Nikon and Canon have taken their time to introduce their first FF mirrorless versions in response to Sony's offerings.

From various interviews with senior Canon staff, it is clear that Canon at least (I don't know Nikon's attitude) would rather take their time to develop their products rather than rush. I don't think I have bookmarked any of these interviews to be able to post or quote - I can check.
They certainly rushed the Eos R so not sure what your on about

If I made a mistake in the way I replied then I apologise. :)

The use of emoticons is to try and more accurately get over my intent, which is normally not serious, so not to make myself 'more interesting'. :LOL: It works most of the time. ;) That is funny though, use emoticons to make yourself more interesting. that actually made me laugh out load. :LOL:

I would have replied to anyone in the same way, but if you want to think it was a personal thing because it was you who posted, then I can say you are mistaken, but I doubt you would believe it.

I know one person in real life who frequents this site, but I haven't seen or spoken to him in a couple of years, so none of my friends are on this site.

If you wish to question my intelligence, go ahead, I found that amusing too. :) But not quite LoL.

I will try to avoid replying to your posts in the future. :)

Btw, sorry for waffling. ;)

This maybe sums up the problems other makers face.

Sony make an electric car that'll do 500 miles on a 5 minute charge, it handles immaculately, tops the NCAP ratings, is self driving at the flick of a switch and it's made of carbon fibre and is 100% recyclable but there's just something special about the way the Canon steering wheel fits my hand, it's a lovely colour and I prefer the font on the badge much more than the Sony font. Yes the Canon is more expensive, it's made of iron, only does 50 miles on a full charge and needs 8 hours to recharge but that colour and that steering wheel and in 10 years time I'm sure they'll be where Sony are now so I'm sticking with Canon :D

Sorry :D Couldn't resist :D
You could.... you just didn’t

Here is the video I mentioned this morning about the EOS R from a video/camera user perspective. He seems quite positive about the specs, but then has been given a camera and (I think) lenses to use for 6 weeks, so take what he says with that in mind. I've seen a few of his other vids though and he seems quite unbiased from what I have seen.

View: https://youtu.be/9ThvN4C2nss

They certainly rushed the Eos R so not sure what your on about

....I can understand why you might think so but if you are interested enough to study Canon's development of its mirrorless technology and also understand Canon's ethos as publicly stated (particularly at the time of their mirrorless EOS M5 release), then I don't agree that they they have "certainly rushed".

With respect, I don't think that you, or indeed myself or anyone else on TalkPhotography, are privy to Canon's inner sanctum to be able to justifiably state "certainly rushed". But perhaps I am being a little too critical of your terms < It's easy to rush out words when posting on the internet :D

Don't take it to heart chap, its all good fun on here and sometimes words can be taken out of context or the wrong way etc. :)

You have to have a heart first :D I don't give a flying funk what the knob-it-alls here say, the usual cliques, I know who worth bothering with and not ;) I'm so far above the try hards.

....I can understand why you might think so but if you are interested enough to study Canon's development of its mirrorless technology and also understand Canon's ethos as publicly stated (particularly at the time of their mirrorless EOS M5 release), then I don't agree that they they have "certainly rushed".

With respect, I don't think that you, or indeed myself or anyone else on TalkPhotography, are privy to Canon's inner sanctum to be able to justifiably state "certainly rushed". But perhaps I am being a little too critical of your terms < It's easy to rush out words when posting on the internet :D

The very fact that they are on about releasing firmware fix for features not in the camera in time for release is evidence that it’s rushed.

I’ve never seen them do this, I don’t update my 5D ever, it always has all the features from Day 1.

The very fact that they are on about releasing firmware fix for features not in the camera in time for release is evidence that it’s rushed.

I’ve never seen them do this, I don’t update my 5D ever, it always has all the features from Day 1.
This! Well said!

I agree. Yes there might be bugs that need fixing, but to know you're going to be bringing out features immediately after release says it all. I know Fuji and Olympus are good at releasing firmware updates that can include extra features, but this is some way down the line usually after they've developed a new body and think "you know what, we'll give our existing users these features too" (y)

He does get irritating fast with the smirks, pauses and the way he insists on counting his points. The hold that thought thing seems a lame excuse for a tag-line, like Polin's 'I shoot Raw' - real original lads ...
I get this too. His first video I watched when his style was new to me was interesting but after watching briefly a couple more I found it irritating,mind you that’s not hard.

I managed to handle the camera today. It's Tiny....well it felt very small to me. Viewfinder is large and very good if a bit slow to turn on when you put you eye up to it. This may be a Pre Production issue so will hopefully be better. The camera is very light and I really can't see where the money has gone. The lenses are large and heavy which makes the camera feel front heavy. The IQ looks superb from what I can gather. It is also a very comfy camera to hold. Would I buy one...Naaah!

Actually I wouldn’t given some of the comments on here from people.

Who cares, well you obviously, it’s the end results that counts. And if you don’t update firmware then you can miss out on bug fixes which can be really important such as the one for the 5D3 that stopped the AF MA setting itself to -8 for all lenses.

I managed to handle the camera today. It's Tiny....well it felt very small to me. Viewfinder is large and very good if a bit slow to turn on when you put you eye up to it. This may be a Pre Production issue so will hopefully be better. The camera is very light and I really can't see where the money has gone. The lenses are large and heavy which makes the camera feel front heavy. The IQ looks superb from what I can gather. It is also a very comfy camera to hold. Would I buy one...Naaah!
I didn't realise they were doing the rounds already. I tried the Z7 today, but they didn't have the EOS R to compare it to :(

Shame they can't add a second card slot via firmware update ;)

Who cares, well you obviously, it’s the end results that counts. And if you don’t update firmware then you can miss out on bug fixes which can be really important such as the one for the 5D3 that stopped the AF MA setting itself to -8 for all lenses.

I never said “I care”. It is merely a fact that proves this is rushed.

As you stated, that’s a bug fix, I said features.

You trying to argue apples with oranges?

Last edited:
Back