Canon G15 Owners Thread

From padcan
I bought a G15 a week ago. I have used SLR's for over 20 years. So far I like this camera, its just getting used to handling. This could never replace my SLR
gear but its a quality little camera. But there is one issue I have thats troubling
me. It seems to have a problem with highlight clipping. I've tried all sorts of settings. Even the recovery slider in Camera Raw(I use Photoshop CS3) does not seem to work. Has any other G15 owner had this problem.

This is a Quote from a Review.

The photo quality on the PowerShot G15 is impressive, though there is some room for improvement. Its accurate metering system means that you don't have to bracket every shot, unlike on some cameras. That said, the G15 loves to clip highlights, so you may need to use DR correction or RAW to try to reduce some of that.

Regards.

Last edited:
Anyone now able to help with this yet :shrug:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I have just bought a G15 (yesterday) so I am still playing with the settings. I hadn't noticed particularly that the images on the LCD are too yellow. Are they also like this when you download them? (edit: I have just checked and some of the skin tones do look a little yellow compared to the images on my monitor when I download them. I don't really think it's a problem as long as they look ok when downloaded)

I have noticed that it does tend to choose a rather wide aperture if it is on auto, so I have preferred some of the results I have been getting using Aperture priority mode.

The flash on auto seems to work very well for the 'social gathering' type pics and I am impressed with the video. I am still learning how to use it!

Gazamonk said:
Same situation here, when i go out on the bike so does the G15. You want one of these.

http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?sei...productID=5004

I have one on order! (y)

Last edited:
Thanks Bebop & I guess one of my problems is I already own the Nikon P7700 & bought the G15 for my wife & I am getting confused when trying to pick one up then the other. The Nikon LCD is slightly on the cool side making the Canon look more on the warm side. I've not taken enough shots with the Canon to test it out but so far they look fine when downloaded.

I will be fiddling with WB settings to get them right on the LCD then seeing how they look downloaded. Then see, after downloading, if I can get the where I want them to be.

Never have these problems with cheap P&S's :LOL:

i've been shooting RAW and jpeg whilst I get used to the camera. The jpegs are noticeably 'cooler' than the raw files. (edit: the difference in warmth and of course sharpness is more noticeable viewed in Lightroom than here!)

Here is one straight out of the camera - the jpeg, the raw (converted to jpeg with nothing other than the standard minimum LR sharpening) and 100% crop of the jpeg.

IMG_00302.jpg

IMG_00303.jpg

IMG_0030-3.jpg

Sorry if they're a bit small. I've had trouble uploading them to the site and they have been getting smaller and smaller. In the end I managed it by uploading one at a time.

Last edited:
Not much love for the G15 or G16 on here. :cautious:

I went with the G16 for a camera to take on holiday instead of the SLR (5D2) and I've been giving it a bit of a road test over the past few days.

First thing, how does it roll in low light?

post-sunset on Ryde seafront, let's shoot the hovercraft coming and going:

IMG_0107 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Not bad at 1600ISO, but not a patch on the 5D with the 24-70.... you're thinking 'no sh*t' but hey - that camera's several years and about 80k shots old - this is box-fresh!

And so to the ice rink for another couple of low light shots:

IMG_0120 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

IMG_0158 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Both shot on auto. They're not super-sharp, but I'm liking the images out of the camera.

Next day, let's give the macro setting a whirl. Down to 1cm distance, eh?

IMG_0094 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

IMG_0087 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

not too shabby on a windy, over-cast day, although forget the 'down to 1cm' distance unless you're at 28mm

it catches the spaniel nicely, too:

IMG_0091 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Then there's the first harrumphf - the images can't be opened from the raw files in CS5. I need to DNG convert and fanny about like that. Sod it, unless it's really special we'll be shooting JPG.

I mess around with some of the filters, but none of them are really very good, except for the background de-focus. The soft focus filter is AWFUL. Need to try out the ND filter to see what that's like for longer exposures when we're away shortly.

Having been spoilt by what I've been shooting with for a couple of years, I shoot into the sun with gay abandon.

IMG_0237 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Yeah, that's not really under control there, is it? Best avoided.

Shooting away from the sun and it's catching lovely colours (on a muddy beach in autumn!):

IMG_0276 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

I like it, it's nice to shoot with. I'm going to take a while to get used to the motorised zoom though. The video I've shot from it is also very pretty. When we're away in Spain with my parents it'll be being used alongside a Fuji X20 and a Sony RX100 - comparison shots from those three are going to be interesting.

The full album of shots from the G16 in the first couple of days are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/t_cowley/sets/72157648812221591/

I've bought a LowePro Dashpoint bag for it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OQUYDA/

and an Op/tech wrist strap, which is nice, although the loop took a lot of persuading to get through the side bit on the camera!

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00137NMMW/

Not bad at 1600ISO, but not a patch on the 5D with the 24-70.... you're thinking 'no sh*t' but hey - that camera's several years and about 80k shots old - this is box-fresh!
You're never gonna be able to compare FF to the dinky sensor in the G16. I went in the opposite direction from the G12 to the 70D and found a huge improvement in things like dynamic range and autofocus.

And so to the ice rink for another couple of low light shots
I found it's okay at low light but I imagine the the autofocus does have to hunt around at times. My G12 would struggle with dry ice.

forget the 'down to 1cm' distance unless you're at 28mm
Yup that bugged me too when I'd tried to take a photo of a ring on a girl's hand. Unless you were at the wide end, it struggled.

Then there's the first harrumphf - the images can't be opened from the raw files in CS5. I need to DNG convert and fanny about like that. Sod it, unless it's really special we'll be shooting JPG.
I had that with both G12 and 70D - older software won't support newer cameras, so you'd need to upgrade or use DNG converter.

The ND filter is okay but it's only +1 so I found it wasn't that much use for say long shutter speeds.

Really enjoying using the G16 on holiday. It lacks sharpness from time to time, but is fun to use. The thing that has really delighted me is the 'digest movie' setting. This is an auto mode, which captures a short 720p movie while you frame a shot and compiles them through your day. I used this through a walk with the family and the resulting piece is delightful.... although when I do it next I need to ensure the photos are set to 16:9 not 4:3!

I also had the chance to back to back the G16 with an RX100 and Fuji X20 at night - not scientific, but relatively close settings.

G16
Night G16 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

RX100
Night Sony RX100 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

X20
Night X20 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Make of it what you will.

Everything bar the panoramas in here is from the G16:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/t_cowley/sets/72157646624698914/

So, will it do motion blur?

Lens only shuts down to F8 - we give that a go:

IMG_1500 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Not really lairy enough for my tastes at 1/100th of a second. How to get around that? Drop in the ND filter and we're down around 1/20th and a lot closer to where I want to be:

IMG_1514 by Thomas Cowley, on Flickr

Next time I need to remember to switch off the rear display and frame and pan through the viewfinder as it locks to show you what you just shot on single shooting mode.

The warm feeling continues.

I did use it to shoot some video at a 4x4 event. This was in a sand pit, notorious for glare. IMO it didn't cope so well with this - if you look at the side of the stuck vehicle at the start, there's very little detail.

It will be interesting to see how it captures the nativity I've been asked to shoot next month.

Couldn't let a thread like this die!

Love the camera and it is a properly built and capable little thing. I really like the convenience of it, but with lots of manual control, if you want it.

Any of you G15 owners bought an ever ready case for your camera? I've recently purchased a G16 and looking for one.

Thanks,
AL

Looked at them, but they want you to have the camera around your neck and it adds massively to the bulk of it, so I got an Op/Tech strap and LowePro case, as mentioned above.

Love the strap, leave the camera out of the case when I'm out and about with it, got a bright one so I'm less likely to leave it places!

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...9529&gclid=ckruz5dk98icfujlwgodrmwatg#details

Very neat fit, like it was made for the camera. Good strong webbing loop on the rear fit attaching to a belt etc. has a small pouch under the flap for memory card ( not big enough for a spare battery ).

N.B. This really is a perfect fit and connecting a small lightweight wrist strap makes removal much easier. ( every camera I own has a wrist strap of sorts fitted and over the years they have saved many a mishap. I put the loop on my wrist now without thinking)

Last edited:
I do hope this thread is not dead - I have a G16 as my pocket-camera and think it is a really underrated camera. I have been playing around with B&W lately and have some to show. I don't have any special photographic software - just a very old version of Elements (which I prefer to the later versions)

Old Pram - found in a barn whilst out on a 9 mile walk in Norfolk - it was just crying out to be photographed
Old%20Pram_16x16_BampW_zps7rwhuuze.jpg

Old Picture Palace in Southwold - just by chance that a vintage MG (TD I think) was parked outside
IMG_0313_BampW_16x16_zpsqhspsprg.jpg

Beach Hut - Southwold
IMG_0306_Mod_16x16_B-20%20C30_zpseicd5owe.jpg

Thanks for looking

Hello, yes still here. Liking your B/W shots from the little G series. They look lovely and clean, crisp if you will. The pram in particular is cool (may have benefitted from a wider view to give it a setting context, of course the Barn setting may have been detrimental to the shot if it was poor)

Very good shots, I guess you converted them to bw than use monochrome camera setting. I had a G16 which I liked very much but became frustrated with the barrel taking up a huge part of the viewfinder when zooming in for a shot. also I missed not having a flip out screen. but the images where very good and this camera is a bargain now it can be bought fairly cheap these days.

Very good shots, I guess you converted them to bw than use monochrome camera setting. I had a G16 which I liked very much but became frustrated with the barrel taking up a huge part of the viewfinder when zooming in for a shot. also I missed not having a flip out screen. but the images where very good and this camera is a bargain now it can be bought fairly cheap these days.

I had a G9 several years ago and thought it was just great as a pocketable camera (I sold on my Nikon DSLRs as I was fed up with lugging them around). I sold the G9 for a Fuji X100 but have recently sold that and managed to get one of the very last G16s. The old G series is much criticized these days (small sensor, poor OVF etc) but you know, they do take lovely photos and mine just sits in a case on my belt when I'm out walking. Cheap as chips as well :)

Back