Beginner Canon Lens for Beginner

Name
Babu
Edit My Images
No
HI All

As my title say's I am beginner in photography with a gifted D-SLR ;) . I have a "Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II" , used it on few occasions and realized it needs additional Len's for better performance ? ( correct me if wrong ).

Please can some one suggest me better Len's so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's . I mostly use it for Holidays (city breaks , resorts etc ) & at home (parties/celebrations etc) so my target is to capture places I visit & my beloved one's in it . I have read one of the beginner's thread with varied options like [Tamron 70-300 etc ] but unable able to figure out which one will fit my purpose :( . So can you please suggest me any decent lens that fit's my canon with affordable price .

Thanks in advance :)

i'm still a beginner really but the first thing i learnt was you get what you pay for with this stuff - i don't know tamron but at those prices i'd be suspicious.

what lens you get depends on what you want to do but if you want reasonable quality and a range of zoom you could go for the canon 18-200mm, it has its critics but even i can get decent shots with it and it has nice features like a lock which means the lens doesn't accidentally extend when the camera's hanging over your shoulder (something that used to annoy me about the 18-135).

it's the right level of quality for your camera i think

i'm not sure what you mean by "so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's"

but if you go for this lens and liked it you could partly pay for it by selling your existing one as it covers the same zoom range.

I would have thought the lens you have to be ideal.
The Tamron you mention is a high quality piece of glass for the money.
I'm guessing your looking at this one ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-AF-7...ie=UTF8&qid=1448969685&sr=8-3&keywords=70-300.
But in Canon fit !
Those two lenses should serve you well for a good few years and during your learning experience:)
Don't buy extra lens until you find your not able to get those shot that your looking to capture.
Explore all the limits of your 18-55mm first and buy wisely low cost/ cheap doesn't mean rubbish !

Last edited:
Hi Owenb

Thanks for responding .

Coming to your question -- What are you going to be shooting? I would say People and Landscape :)

i'm still a beginner really but the first thing i learnt was you get what you pay for with this stuff - i don't know tamron but at those prices i'd be suspicious.

what lens you get depends on what you want to do but if you want reasonable quality and a range of zoom you could go for the canon 18-200mm, it has its critics but even i can get decent shots with it and it has nice features like a lock which means the lens doesn't accidentally extend when the camera's hanging over your shoulder (something that used to annoy me about the 18-135).

it's the right level of quality for your camera i think

i'm not sure what you mean by "so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's"

but if you go for this lens and liked it you could partly pay for it by selling your existing one as it covers the same zoom range.
Hi Photoman500 -- thanks for responding , What I meant by ["so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's"] -- is to use just one Len's for my purpose :)

The lens you have will cover those subjects

Hi Owenb

Thanks for responding .

Coming to your question -- What are you going to be shooting? I would say People and Landscape :)

Hi Photoman500 -- thanks for responding , What I meant by ["so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's"] -- is to use just one Len's for my purpose :)
You can buy what we call a 'super zoom' but generally they are poor optically.

My honest response is; if you don't want the bother of changing lenses, sell the DSLR and buy a bridge camera.

The point of a DSLR is that it's a system camera, so you can choose to match it with suitable lenses and accessories to achieve the desired result. If that 'versatility' isn't of benefit to you, you don't need that camera.

You're wrong, Babu. The lens you have is fine. You've read a bit of stuff here and there I expect, and it's persuaded you that your lens is no good. Stop neuroticising. The authors of such material are most likely addicted to one-upmanship, or out to sell you something. Avoid the rag pages of periodicals like 'Amateur Photographer' - they have a vested interest in you buying ever more stuff. Settle down into the adventure of taking / making photographs. It's up to you, at least to begin with. Shopping can so easily be an avoidance technique, and as such can never satisfy. Experiment and learn - the learning will be fitful, but it is possible. It's about what you do with what you've got, which is fine.

Now, where's me Holga?

@PhilV-- I can't sell my DSLR it's a 'Gift' from a family member .

For now I will stick to my Len's and experiment a bit for my holiday which is due in few weeks & will update you all :)

Thanks you all for your valuable responses :ty::wave:

HI All

As my title say's I am beginner in photography with a gifted D-SLR ;) . I have a "Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II" , used it on few occasions and realized it needs additional Len's for better performance ? ( correct me if wrong ).

Babu, what were the shortcomings you identified? Image quality? Aperture? Focal length? Why do you 'need' another lens?

By all means buy another lens if you want to, but your 18-55mm kit lens is just fine for now. Learn to get the best out of your gear and get more experience. You'll know when it's time to move up and what to buy when you hit its limits.

If you just want a longer lens the 55-250 is a good lens for the money - about £100 , however more kit won't improve your performance per se - only time and experience will do that

When I bought my Nikon D3300 I got the standard lens kit a Nikkor 18-55mm f1:3.5-5.6 G II and then bought myself a NiftyFifty for some good portraits with decent Bokeh (Background Blur) although the kit lens served well for both landscapes and portraits.

Please can some one suggest me better Len's so I don't have to change/move between the basic (18-55 mm ) and the new one's .

Hi Babu, as has been suggested, the Canon 55-250IS would be a great addition to your 18-55 lens and isn't overly expensive. both of these lenses are compact and don't have a great deal of weight with them, so are easy to transport around on your travels.

You could buy a 'super' zoom lens, but this would be more expensive and you run a risk of loosing some of the quality of images - there are various available, personally I am not a fan of them, but can see their advantage if this is something you wish to explore...

Enjoy your new gift :)

I think a superzoom is what hes talking about, but tbh buying an interchangeable lens camera then putting one lens on it so you don't have to change lenses kind of defeats the point - you may have well have bought a bridge camera in the first place. Back in pre digital days I briefly had a 28-300 superzoom when i was new to SLR photography , but it was crap at both ends in regards of distortion and fringing so it didnt take me long to decide to sell it on

Back