Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Now firstly I've only owned it for 6 hours or so, so I'm a real newbie in reality, this is more calling out to other owners on the forum for your experience with this printer, the media you use in it, where you've found the best prices for consumables etc...

Hopefully we might all benefit from the thread by learning stuff we might not know (for me that will be a lot of stuff ;))

My first impression are very favourable, I've only done a couple of prints and I think they look fantastic, I'll be doing a few more over the next few days just to check everything is printing as I expect...

My first question is do other owners find they need to get into making custom profiles or do the standard ones when using canon papers work well for you?

Also what papers do you use personally I've ordered and am using PP-201 Canon Gloss in A4 and A3 but I'm wondering about trying out some of the more expensive papers too

I guess I should also ask where has the best price on genuine inks right now?

Really looking forward to seeing more of my work printed from now on, although it's going to cost me a small fortune in frames :eek: but there is something special about seeing photos printed out that goes way above seeing it on the computer screen

Matt

I have a 100 but it's still boxed up on the spare bed! I've still got stock of inks for the iX4000 so I'm waiting for them to be depleted before swapping over (space is at a premium so can't run both at the same time.)

I have found that 7dayshop are usually either the cheapest source or at least very close to it so get all my (always genuine Canon) inks from them. I use Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss paper for most of my printing and have set up a custom profile for it in the printer driver (and did the same on the even older s820 A4 printer.)

Great tip on 7DS interesting actually, if I need to buy a full set of inks from them then it will work out about £5 less than the cheapest I'd already found so that's good, buy oddly on single inks they're about a £1 per ink more at least on the Pro 10 inks, I shall be also checking out your paper recommendation :)

Well today I took delivery of some A4 sample packs from the Hahnemühle Fine Art range today and my what gorgeous papers...

The first one I've had a play with is the Monet Canvas a 410g 100% cotton sheet and it's amazing after installing the profile for the paper I've done this print

View attachment 26962

You could not print borderless but I don't mind as I quite like borders on prints and beside it will give some room for the mount that this print is going to receive when it goes for framing

This is a link to the paper http://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digit...ion/canvas-fineart/p/Product/show/44/306.html

Matt, if you want to PM me your snail mail address, I can stick a few 6x4 sheets in the post for a quick trial.

Matt, if you want to PM me your snail mail address, I can stick a few 6x4 sheets in the post for a quick trial.

Very kind of you Nod, I will take you up on that if you don't mind...can cover the cost for you

Got home after a trip to town this morning and spotted the envelope where I'd left it... Sorry, Matt, will get it in the post later for you!

Got home after a trip to town this morning and spotted the envelope where I'd left it... Sorry, Matt, will get it in the post later for you!

Not to worry :) it's not something you need to rush or go out of your way for, I'm just very grateful of the chance to try out the paper (y) just getting ready to try out another one of the art samples :D

I've got a 100 which I have yet to use in anger.

I hope to use the profiler on it tonight and calibate my screen too!

I have Permajet Smooth Gloss 280, and FB Gold silk papers to try and a pack of Permajet Oyster too (free gift with the printer)

I have heard conflicting sugestions about leaving the printer turned on as it saves ink but others saying its not a good idea so currently not sure what to do.

I've got a 100 which I have yet to use in anger.

I hope to use the profiler on it tonight and calibate my screen too!

I have Permajet Smooth Gloss 280, and FB Gold silk papers to try and a pack of Permajet Oyster too (free gift with the printer)

I have heard conflicting sugestions about leaving the printer turned on as it saves ink but others saying its not a good idea so currently not sure what to do.

Isn't that always the case of conflicting reports on what to do with kit :LOL: well hope you get chance to get all set up this evening (y)

FWIW, my old iX4000 gets turned off between uses and no blocked nozzles or other problems.

Matt, paper now posted (as opposed to matt paper now posted since the paper's glossy!!!)

FWIW, my old iX4000 gets turned off between uses and no blocked nozzles or other problems.

Matt, paper now posted (as opposed to matt paper now posted since the paper's glossy!!!)

Nice one :) done some more prints today on some of the art stock I purchased test packs of...loving some of these papers...it's a shame they don't do some of the art stock stuff might take some more photos of them in a bit :D

I own a Pro-100. I imported it from America, which was a risk I decided to take as it was such a good deal. Including the import fees through the eBay global shipping program, It cost me about £125 with inks, A3+ 50 sheets pack and the Lustre sample pack.
The downside is, the lustre sample pack is US Letter size, not A4 ):

Printer works fine, no problems with power. Inks haven't ran out yet so I haven't had to try replacing them, but if I do experience problems with the UK inks I will order a resetter. The company which does the resetter (can't recall name) also does some ink which is supposedly good. But I'm not sure if I want to risk that.

The few prints I have done, have been really awesome. I just use the Canon default profile settings, and everything is turning out as it shows on my calibrated screen.
I've even tried some Epson paper in it, using the Canon profile and it works great.

Next on my list is to order sample packs to test out more paper.

The canon software is fine. I wish the border options were easier - e.g. being table to type in the size, rather than having to faff around with the dragging to resize thingiemajiggy as I find the default border is too big for my liking.
But besides that, its okay.

I own a Pro-100. I imported it from America, which was a risk I decided to take as it was such a good deal. Including the import fees through the eBay global shipping program, It cost me about £125 with inks, A3+ 50 sheets pack and the Lustre sample pack.
The downside is, the lustre sample pack is US Letter size, not A4 ):

Printer works fine, no problems with power. Inks haven't ran out yet so I haven't had to try replacing them, but if I do experience problems with the UK inks I will order a resetter. The company which does the resetter (can't recall name) also does some ink which is supposedly good. But I'm not sure if I want to risk that.

The few prints I have done, have been really awesome. I just use the Canon default profile settings, and everything is turning out as it shows on my calibrated screen.
I've even tried some Epson paper in it, using the Canon profile and it works great.

Next on my list is to order sample packs to test out more paper.

The canon software is fine. I wish the border options were easier - e.g. being table to type in the size, rather than having to faff around with the dragging to resize thingiemajiggy as I find the default border is too big for my liking.
But besides that, its okay.

Out of interest why not just add the profiles for the epson papers assuming they're available...I've added three Hahnemühle profiles in the last two days and it's about the easiest thing I've ever added (y)

Out of interest why not just add the profiles for the epson papers assuming they're available...I've added three Hahnemühle profiles in the last two days and it's about the easiest thing I've ever added (y)

They're not available. Epson only does profiles for Epson printers. But thanks to Google, finding which canon profile is best to use was easy and saved a lot of trial and error.

They're not available. Epson only does profiles for Epson printers. But thanks to Google, finding which canon profile is best to use was easy and saved a lot of trial and error.

Ah fair enough, I didn't realise that :(

Anyone had any feeding problems with any paper? If so which ones? Looking at buying a few packs from permajet, fotospeed etc to test out. I remember an epson printer a friend had kept getting jammed with certain fine art papers - but don't know if Canon and more specifically pro 100 has the same problem.

Thanks Matt,
I got the Grey 5 pack - haven't needed the colours yet but I'm sure I will soon - lol

Thanks Matt,
I got the Grey 5 pack - haven't needed the colours yet but I'm sure I will soon - lol

No worries

So you have the Pro 1 then? As the pro 10 only has 3 grey/blacks?

No I've got the Pro-10 - I got the 5 pack as 1 needed the photo black, grey, and Chroma Optimizer & as it comes with the photo magenta, & photo cyan I figured it was cheaper to get them as well...lol

No I've got the Pro-10 - I got the 5 pack as 1 needed the photo black, grey, and Chroma Optimizer & as it comes with the photo magenta, & photo cyan I figured it was cheaper to get them as well...lol

When you said grey five pack I though well only the 1 have 3 grey and 2 black lol but yeah now I understand I'll likely do the same most of the time :)

Pro-10 user here... It does give some beautiful prints especially on the Luster Pro paper.

Pro-10 user here... It does give some beautiful prints especially on the Luster Pro paper.

I've been trailing lots of different papers recently and most of them have provided rather nice results printed yesterday on the canon semi gloss 10x12 and it also looks good

Well I've got a Pixma Pro 100 arriving on Monday so I'll join you then.

Right so tonight I used my 100 properly for the first time and I love it my first prints I wasn't happy with (my fault I had messed up the pp ).

I do have one question how do you get it to print in the centre of the page using canons print app thingy I can get it to do it trough photoshop but can not see how to do it using the canon software from ps.

I've been using Permajet's FB Gold Silk for black and white prints does any one have any suggestions for alternatives?

Right so tonight I used my 100 properly for the first time and I love it my first prints I wasn't happy with (my fault I had messed up the pp ).

I do have one question how do you get it to print in the centre of the page using canons print app thingy I can get it to do it trough photoshop but can not see how to do it using the canon software from ps.

If you mean Canon's Print Studio Pro app thingy then under the layout tab there is an "alignment" heading. The drop down box gives you, none, center (sic). center horizontally, and center vertically.

Hi just a quick question please. my Pro 100 arrived today and I've only had 30 minutes of so to play with it and did a couple of test prints (which came out perfect by the way). I've set the printer up using the supplied USB cable it came with, but now want to ditch the cable and change to wireless printing.

To do this, do I need to run the CD setup program again or can this be done in the fly ?

Hi just a quick question please. my Pro 100 arrived today and I've only had 30 minutes of so to play with it and did a couple of test prints (which came out perfect by the way). I've set the printer up using the supplied USB cable it came with, but now want to ditch the cable and change to wireless printing.

To do this, do I need to run the CD setup program again or can this be done in the fly ?

To setup wireless printing you need to use the Canon IJ Network Tool. Plug the printer back in using the USB cable, run the tool and you can then setup its wireless network settings. After that you can install the printer as a network printer using usual printer install in your pc/mac (you will then have two entries in your printer list, one for the USB and one for the network).

Printed my first B&W's and mounted them on foam backing. Very good looking prints. So far no problems with my Pro-10.

OK guys, so after more playing with the Pixma Pro 100, I have to say I'm delighted.

I'm just using up the last of my existing papers (which are Innova's "Olmec" Photo Glossy heavyweight 260g in both A4 and A3 sizes). Whilst these print fine, I think I'm tiring of glossy paper and so want to try something that has more of a lustre finish. I know this is very subjective and everyone has their own favourites, but I'd appreciate suggestions as to what others are using in these printers please.

Bear in mind that these are for my use only (not for sale), so whilst the fine art Cotton Rag papers look really exciting and I would love to try them, I think cost would be a prohibitive factor ? Basically I'm looking for a good everyday lustre or semi gloss paper, in A3 and A4 sizes, preferably 50 sheet packs, and not too dear and that is supported by the necessary ICC profiles for these printers.

Anyone tried Canon's own papers - are they any good or are there better and most price effective options, Permajet, Ilford, Marrutt etc ?

OK guys, so after more playing with the Pixma Pro 100, I have to say I'm delighted.

Anyone tried Canon's own papers - are they any good or are there better and most price effective options, Permajet, Ilford, Marrutt etc ?

I use Canon papers.. The Photo Paper Pro Glossy II and Photo Paper Pro Luster are extremely good papers and if you are in the US they have very good deals like buy 1 get 4 free. I unfortunately are not so I use the offer buy one get only one.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ur-free-when-you-buy-select-canon-photo-paper

So just picked up a Pro 1 for £350. Just waiting for it to be delivered.
Where's the best place to buy papers and inks?

That's a bargain...can i ask where from, would be interested at that price?

Back