Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

I am looking at the 100s, any good sites I can look at to help set it up properly

I used mine 100 for the first time in about 4 months maybe more the other day I forgot how good it is:banana:

Need to get some shoots taken as I have to get 2 prints sorted for the club league in the next couple of weeks

Morning Guys

Could do with some advice please.

When I turn my Pro100 on the other week I had an issue with it powering up. This was cured by turning the lead over that goes into the back of the printer. Tried turning it on last night and it won't turn on. I have spoken to the company I brought it from and they have said they can send it off for repair which is great but I have prints to do for a competition first!! Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

Mark

I have had the 100s delivered by wex but too worried to open the box in case I have made a mistake and should have gone for the 10s

I have had the 100s delivered by wex but too worried to open the box in case I have made a mistake and should have gone for the 10s

I like my Pro 10 but I picked it over the Pro 100 as it's main job is printing fine art reproductions of my girlfriends artwork on heavy matt paper rather than photos.
What are you planning to print?

I like my Pro 10 but I picked it over the Pro 100 as it's main job is printing fine art reproductions of my girlfriends artwork on heavy matt paper rather than photos.
What are you planning to print?
Photographs. Colour and b and w

Morning Guys

Could do with some advice please.

When I turn my Pro100 on the other week I had an issue with it powering up. This was cured by turning the lead over that goes into the back of the printer. Tried turning it on last night and it won't turn on. I have spoken to the company I brought it from and they have said they can send it off for repair which is great but I have prints to do for a competition first!! Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

Mark

A quick update on this. The printer was plugged into a anti surge lead and wouldn't turn on. When it's plugged into the mains it works.

A quick update on this. The printer was plugged into a anti surge lead and wouldn't turn on. When it's plugged into the mains it works.
Silly question? Have you tried that anti surge lead with another appliance and indeed are both lights showing the lead is sound & 'working'.

PS do you also have another known working lead.....it would not the first time a lead with moulded on terminal plugs has a problem!

Last edited:
Silly question? Have you tried that anti surge lead with another appliance and indeed are both lights showing the lead is sound & 'working'.

PS do you also have another known working lead.....it would not the first time a lead with moulded on terminal plugs has a problem!

Yes we tried a different appliance in the anti surge lead and a lead I know works.

It turned on again when plugged direct in to the mains until tonight when it would turn on again tried it in a different socket still nothing left it a bit plugged it in to the anti surge lead and it turned on!!!!'

Going to speak to WEX again tomorrow starting to wonder if it's a dodgy switch.

Does anyone here own the Pro 1 and using it on a Mac operating system? I'm finding it impossible to find a way to turn off the printers color management :(

Well my 100 is going back to wex to be looked at got to get it all boxed up over the weekend :(

Has anyone tried any compatible inks and had any luck?

Just replaced a light grey, will probably need to replace it again soon. I'm going through black and the 2 greys like mad.

So I'm thinking maybe a compatible ink for the greys would be okay.

Well there's now a big space on the desk where my Pro 100 sits its on its way back to WEX to try an resolve the power issue hope it comes back soon

I've rarely used mine. But I printed off some photographs yesterday which are going up for sale in a local shop.

Seeing a freshly printed photograph from such a good printer is such a nice feeling. It kind of reminds me why I love photography so much. I think I need to make an effort to print more things.
I was planning on putting a portfolio together, but never got around to it (partially as I had my idea set on a screwpost one which cost £200). I guess I need to start working on it again :p

Does anyone here own the Pro 1 and using it on a Mac operating system? I'm finding it impossible to find a way to turn off the printers color management :(

Yup I have had a pro 1 for about 2-3 years. What software are you using?

Yup I have had a pro 1 for about 2-3 years. What software are you using?

I'm using the latest, El Capitan. I've been told by Fotospeed to select 'ColorSync' in the color management option and then 'Automatic' which is the only way to turn off printer color management, as printing from Photoshop, you then choose 'Photoshop manages colours'. What would you suggest the best way is to manage the inks, i.e, keeping the printer on 24/7, turning off using the button/mains etc? I'd be grateful for any advice you could give, I've had the printer for a week now.

Ia there a lot of difference between the print quality of the Pro100 and Pro1?

Well my Pro100 is back need to test it make sure its ok but then I will need to sell it...... As I now have a pro1 well at £299 brand new I really couldn't say no could I?? So now in the back of my MINI I have a Pro1 and Pro100 thankfully its a Countryman otherwise my brother may have had to walk home....

im not sure why you get a red cast on a black and white print. Ive a pixma pro 100 and printing black and white gives me black and white. Ive never seen a colour cast on it. Why would it use coloured inks in a black and white shot when it has multiple black inks for B&W printing?

Would also have been nice to see close up's of the prints so we could actually see them

*edit* I found this thread from someone experiencing the same issue, it made for some interesting reading

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/PRO-100-True-B-amp-W-Prints/td-p/36347

Last edited:
I mainly print black and white. I've gone through the black ink cartridges more than any other. No colour casts for me. All my prints have been perfect.

It seems strange that there would be colour casts as it shouldn't be using coloured ink, and I think that would either hint at something to do with software settings.

The latest post in the topic Ashley linked is going towards software settings rather than the printer being at fault:

"I know I've dredged up an old thread, but I have to say I never really sat down and try to get this **bleep** printer to print really good BW photos. I spent all day yesterday finally going through some threads and I tried two things that made a huge difference. Moving everything to Adobe RGB and also in the printer dialog, under the Main tab and then Color/Intensity set to Manual and then set Matching to "None". That has made a huge difference in both my BW and color pictures. I have a calibrated monitor and on my old Epson I didn't have these issues, but finally I think I have it all nailed down... gawd it's been a long time battling with this printer!!!!"

and on the previous page its saying the black and white photo print box is the problem for green casts:

"That is about the same as I found a slight green tint, it is very slight but I can see it. This happens when I check the "Black and White Photo Print" box."

Last edited:
all i do is make sure i tick the Black and White print boxes in the printer properties page. There are 2 of them so i make sure theyre both checked and off it goes. Just printed a few more off tonight with a view to framing them up in the week and not a spot of colour to be seen.

I have a pro 100 and I'm very pleased with both the colour and b&w output. I use the canon studio plugin
Straight from Lightroom and use their resident icc profiles . I don't even hit the 'black and whit' button.
I'm sorry to hear others are having trouble.

Talking of the canon studio plugin, has there been a version released yet for Photoshop CC on Win 10 as I'll be damned if I could find one the last time I looked

Yes I had to download it If I've still got the download on my PC at home I can try sending it you might be tomorrow evening though

Set the Pro1 up last night its a bit of a beast at one point during the initial start up after the cartridges etc had been installed I thought it was trying to take off with the noises it was making!

Yes I had to download it If I've still got the download on my PC at home I can try sending it you might be tomorrow evening though

Cheers, I'll have a loot this afternoon, as really would like to have it back in place, if I don't find it I'll drop you a message (y)

Back