Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

Just something that I've added to my kit since getting a printer and that is a decent box to store the prints in my case a solid archival box in A3 my feeling being that I don't want to risk prints getting damaged once I've printed if I don't frame them right away :D

I keep all the boxes and sleeves that photo paper (and some labels) usually arrive in for storage of non album shots. When I spot 20 slot clear folders designed for documents (but with clear inserts), I pick a couple up and use them for holiday highlight albums (A4) rather than subject people to a screen slide show of all of them or a 100 page album of 6x4s. I picked up an A3+ portfolio from a charity shop a few years ago and use that for some of the bigger prints but most of the A3+ ones end up blutacked to my office wall or framed somewhere.

I keep all the boxes and sleeves that photo paper (and some labels) usually arrive in for storage of non album shots. When I spot 20 slot clear folders designed for documents (but with clear inserts), I pick a couple up and use them for holiday highlight albums (A4) rather than subject people to a screen slide show of all of them or a 100 page album of 6x4s. I picked up an A3+ portfolio from a charity shop a few years ago and use that for some of the bigger prints but most of the A3+ ones end up blutacked to my office wall or framed somewhere.

Yep that's a good way of doing it too, I've also purchased some cheap but nice frames simple A3 black frames that while cheap allow me to have a few framed that I can change out as I get bored, ones I really really like I'll send off to get bespoke frames done :D

I use Canon papers.. The Photo Paper Pro Glossy II and Photo Paper Pro Luster are extremely good papers and if you are in the US they have very good deals like buy 1 get 4 free. I unfortunately are not so I use the offer buy one get only one.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ur-free-when-you-buy-select-canon-photo-paper

Damn, they really get some good offers over there. My Pro 100 was from the US and was cheap.

Maybe its worth also importing a load of paper, although I guess with the postage costs it could get heavy [especially with the import duty]. (n)

Sorry for the double post but its been 9 days so hope thats alright.

I've just started printing photos with my Permajet FB Baryta test pack.
Love at first sight must exist as I've just experienced it with the FB Gold Silk 315. I was a bit nervous I was screwing up the print settings or wasting the paper, as I'm just using permajets generic ICC profile. But it worked perfectly for a black & white photo.
Now I have to test the other paper. I'll post my opinion on them as I get around to that..

Anyone who wants to order Permajet test packs, go through their website [unless you find them really cheap] and add some of the "free" samples. Theres 3 available, and each contains 2 x A4 papers:

https://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-FB-Gold-Silk-315gsm-Baryta-Inkjet-Paper/APJ20019
https://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-Smooth-Gloss-280gsm-Inkjet-Paper/APJ20020
https://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-Smooth-Pearl-Photo-280gsm/APJ20018

Just ordered a Pro 10 with a free ColorMunki display. Must of it's use will be producing prints for my girlfriend who is an artist but I'm looking forward to printing my own photos.

No idea, just said he tested it before shipping and the head was damaged.
I have another chance to get another on the cheap but still waiting for my refund and not sure if I shouldn't just get a 9500pro mk2 for now.

Was looking to buy a Pro 1, but was wondering if there is much difference between this and the Epson r3880? Most shops I have been to use the Canon for their in store printing, any help would be appreciated.

Was looking to buy a Pro 1, but was wondering if there is much difference between this and the Epson r3880? Most shops I have been to use the Canon for their in store printing, any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, I suspect your more likely going to get an answer to your question if you either start a dedicated thread for it, or maybe try this thread it's kind of on the same lines as your question http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/epson-r3000-or-canon-pixma-pro-10.570257/#post-6696118

Ordered the 100 tonight and should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to having a play. Now I have to take some decent photos :D

Now the S versions have been released are we expecting a price drop?

Where do you guys get your inks from?
Is anyone using any compatible inks? If so, what ones would you recommend?

I've not actually had to order ink yet, but thus far the cheapest for OEM inks I've found is 7DayShop, closely followed by Premier Ink in Leamington Spa, actually on single inks if I remember correctly PI were marginally cheaper than 7DS

Right so after two failed attempts to buy a Canon Pro 1, I think I my have finally found one that will be supplied to me after the purchase.

First time the item was not supplied then I was refunded, the second the item was faulty the day before shipping so was refunded.

This time I hope I get a good quality printer supplied to me.

Again it was off ebay and again I paid £350 for the item.

Fingers crossed.

the second the item was faulty the day before shipping so was refunded.

Unfortunately this is a common tactic with Ebay sellers who don't get as much as they had hoped to realise for their kit. By declaring it as faulty and issuing an apology they not only don't have to sell their item for less than they expected, they also don't have to pay Ebay sale fees.

Rob

Something to look out for if buying second hand is the cost of ink. The Canon Pro-1 comes with a full set of cartridges that costs around £250 to buy separately. A second hand model at around £350 is therefore only a small saving if it doesn't have any ink (and not worth forgoing a warranty) but a bargain if it has a full set.

Pro 1 arrived at work today. Its huge lol. I knew it was going to be big but not as big as it is.

Only turned it on and change one cartridge.

Might bring in the laptop on Friday or take it home on Friday instead.

Though I do need some paper, also my work mates are asking if it does Canvass, I don't think it does, does it.

Sometimes I dislike this site as it makes me want things I am thinking about all the more. on the other hand people on here only give their own honest reviews of a product. in this case a canon printer pro model. i am off to the photography show tomorrow with my daughter and we were only discussing the other day what did we want to look at or interested in buying. Yep, you've guessed it i want a decent printer and as i shoot Canon was thinking of looking at these models. That the rest of my afternoon sorted will be looking at reviews, do not want to spend a massive fortune. Off to search the rest of the site see if there is anymore info on these beauties before googling takes up my time.:banana::D.. maybe back with some questions later folks.

Best place I've found for inks is Ebuyer @ £60 delivered if you go for the slow delivery

Pro 1 arrived at work today. Its huge lol. I knew it was going to be big but not as big as it is.

Only turned it on and change one cartridge.

Might bring in the laptop on Friday or take it home on Friday instead.

Though I do need some paper, also my work mates are asking if it does Canvass, I don't think it does, does it.

I don't really know about the Pro 1 as I only really looked at it a little, but I don't think any of them do rolls of media so likely will not do a true canvas, but that said on my sample packs of papers there was a sheet of A4 canvas like papers and in sheet for it printed a lovely image, but with a large border which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea

But also glad you successfully purchase one

Sometimes I dislike this site as it makes me want things I am thinking about all the more. on the other hand people on here only give their own honest reviews of a product. in this case a canon printer pro model. i am off to the photography show tomorrow with my daughter and we were only discussing the other day what did we want to look at or interested in buying. Yep, you've guessed it i want a decent printer and as i shoot Canon was thinking of looking at these models. That the rest of my afternoon sorted will be looking at reviews, do not want to spend a massive fortune. Off to search the rest of the site see if there is anymore info on these beauties before googling takes up my time.:banana::D.. maybe back with some questions later folks.

Personally I love mine it really produces the most stunning prints...

Best place I've found for inks is Ebuyer @ £60 delivered if you go for the slow delivery

Are those genuine OEMs? And sorry is that for the 1, 10 or 100?

Yes genuine OEM and pro 100

And considering I had the cheapo delivery they have just arrived 24 hours after ordering

Don't suppose you have a link do you I'm tempted to see if the have the Pro 10 ink sets too

So set up the printer, go to print and realise the guy forgot to change the Yellow in the printer, plus loads of other ones are really low or out.

So £130 later, I have the Black/Grey multi pack and the two cyan colours, hopefully the Yellow will turn up soon as he said he was going to send it free of charge to me.

So maybe by the weekend I can do a bit of test printing.

Wow under £75 for a full set for the P10 that's a full £10-15 less that I've seen on other sites..cheers

No worries I will be letting members of our club know to look on ebuyer for their inks as you say so much cheaper then anywhere else

Before Easter the Pro 10 drops to £399.... Away for two weeks, come back and cheapest is £499 with only a few places selling them. So either there was a mad rush to buy, sellers hold little stock or they have sent them back. Not willing to pay price of Pro 10s giving the so called additions, i can't believe the quality is that much better. Note to self next time just buy....

I seem to have now used up all the colour inks in my old iX4000 so will be swapping it out for the 100 Pro soon... About bleeding time! In my defence, with ink being not cheap, I wanted to get as many carts as possible as empty as possible before doing the change. All 3 colours are now reporting as being "Very Low" so I'll be doing small runs of 6x4s until they start looking decidedly odd!
Looking forward to being untied to the desktop 'puter when I want to do some photo printing - documents have been WiFied to Mrs Nod's all in one thing for a while (unless there are big runs - that's what the mono laser's for) but photos still need to be taken upstairs on a key etc.... Any tips for installing and getting up and running on WiFi?

Wow!! Have just run my first prints off on the Pro 10, what a fantastic machine. Anyone point me in the right direction for paper profiles for the likes of Kodak and Polaroid?

I'm really not sure which model to pick, the Pro 100 or the Pro 10.

I like the idea of more resistant prints but the ink costs on the Pro 10 move from being manageable to damn expensive compared to the Pro 100. The machine cost is also quite a large amount more, even when factoring in the cashback.

Hmm, this is not an easy decision.

Well, I went for the Pro-100s and I am loving the amount of detail of my prints. However, I am experiencing dark prints. I've got my screen calibrated to 120 luminance using a Spyder 5 pro.

I've set colour management to none in the printer settings and have chosen what I think is the correct paper profile for my 4x6 semi gloss Canon photo paper - Canon PRO-100S <SG> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss. What is the difference between this profile and Canon PRO-100S <SG> 3 Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss?

I've been able to prove that there is an issue here by printing an identical print of a 4x6 photograph which was printed professionally and comparing both of them. The print from the Pro-100s is darker than the professionally printed copy, which seems to suggest that there is a problem with the colour profile of the printer or paper.

I'm using Lightroom and have never used Soft Proofing before, but when I do use soft proofing and select the above paper profile I notice that the image does appear darker! Not sure if this is a red herring though? As I have read that soft proofing can be pretty much useless for determining what a print will look like.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Since you are seeing a darker image when you soft proof, select the correct profile in Lightroom soft proofing as you are doing, then tap Y to select before/after left/right view. Use the develop module controls on the right hand side to adjust the proof preview on the right so that it looks as close as possible to the 'current' view on the left. In your case it sounds as though one of the adjustments you might make is a positive exposure adjustment.

For more in-depth information I recommend 'The Digital Print' by Jeff Schewe.

That made a huge difference correcting the soft proofs within Lightroom, what I see on the screen now matches very closely to the print image. I've also got my hands on that book, I've had a skim through and it's going to help a lot.

Many thanks Paul.

Back